Thinking of trading in my '17 RDX (Advance) for the '19

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 07:53 PM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
Thinking of trading in my '17 RDX (Advance) for the '19

The '19 RDX has really got my excited (to the point of seriously considering trading in my '17 RDX Advance to get it). I only owe about $12K on my '17, which has about 18,400 miles on it now. The KBB website gave an idea on what its trade-in value could be...it says about $31K as of today (based on all the options it has as an Advance, the good condition it's in, and the mileage, which I guess is somewhat low).

I've been saving up since the Prototype was announced in January to supplement the trade-in and so far have $9K. I think I might have around $23K in saved-up cash by this Fall (which is probably when I would pull the trigger if I decide to get a '19). I refuse to buy the '19 with negative equity to roll in, so I would probably pay off the '17. That would put me at around $11K to add to the trade-in value, unless I wait a little longer to build up more savings. Of course, the longer I drive the car, the further away from $31K the resale value would be - a catch-22.

My questions are:
1. Do you think the KBB estimate above ($31K) is realistic? I've read RDXs do pretty good retaining value, but I have no idea.
2. Do you think the '19 RDX Advance will be in the neighborhood of $46-$47K (without incentives)?
3. What's the best rate you've heard of to finance (and with whom)? My credit score is ~830. Between cash and trade-in, I'm hoping to finance less than $10K anyway. We'll see about that.

Thanks, all, for any thoughts...
Old 04-05-2018, 10:17 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
I will take a stab. The current gen RDX will drop in value a bit once the new version arrives. As you said the longer you keep it, the more it drops with mileage, etc. KBB is just that, an estimate. What you actually get will vary wildly depending on the region/color/demand. I would also look at autotrader for possible comparison cars. You will get a lot more if you sell your car, but then you won't get the trade-in tax break(assuming your state has this) so you have to calculate the difference there as well.

As for pricing on the 19 model, who knows? When it comes out you will know. I don't expect any incentives for a while with it being a new model. Pentagon Federal offers 2.49% up to 36 mths, 2.99% upto 48 mths. Acura may offer a teaser rate - you will soon know this too.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:42 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by birdonamission
The '19 RDX has really got my excited (to the point of seriously considering trading in my '17 RDX Advance to get it). I only owe about $12K on my '17, which has about 18,400 miles on it now. The KBB website gave an idea on what its trade-in value could be...it says about $31K as of today (based on all the options it has as an Advance, the good condition it's in, and the mileage, which I guess is somewhat low).

I've been saving up since the Prototype was announced in January to supplement the trade-in and so far have $9K. I think I might have around $23K in saved-up cash by this Fall (which is probably when I would pull the trigger if I decide to get a '19). I refuse to buy the '19 with negative equity to roll in, so I would probably pay off the '17. That would put me at around $11K to add to the trade-in value, unless I wait a little longer to build up more savings. Of course, the longer I drive the car, the further away from $31K the resale value would be - a catch-22.

My questions are:
1. Do you think the KBB estimate above ($31K) is realistic? I've read RDXs do pretty good retaining value, but I have no idea.
2. Do you think the '19 RDX Advance will be in the neighborhood of $46-$47K (without incentives)?
3. What's the best rate you've heard of to finance (and with whom)? My credit score is ~830. Between cash and trade-in, I'm hoping to finance less than $10K anyway. We'll see about that.

1. Are you nuts? You have a mint 2017 Advance with low miles. Enjoy it.
2. KBB quotes are a joke. No dealership will give you what they quote.
3. Yeah, I have a super high credit score too. Who cares. Just more reason for the salesman to sucker you in on a loan or lease that you really don't need.
4. I have a 2016 Advance with even lower miles than yours. It's mint and I love it, and love the rock solid V6 mated to the 6-Speed. Just me.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:21 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Personally, I would avoid first year production models. Drive the 2017 for another year, which will give you another year to save and payoff your current vehicle, and look at a 2020 model.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:51 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts

My questions are:

The '19 RDX A-Spec has me very interested. I recently traded our '16 RDX Advance, 19,700 miles, white pearl/parchment for an '18 TLX A-Spec. I got $31,500 for my trade. 4th Acura from my dealer. They love my trades since
I take such good care of my vehicles. Interiors are perfect, outside, no dings, etc. I buy a lot of vehicles. I do my homework and look at KBB, N.A.D.A, and Edmonds. What I found was since my last check in Dec. RDX values had
actually gone up! Which is kinda rare for sure. RDX's sell. All dealers like them on their lots. My last 2 trades there "sold" while sitting out front where I parked them! Before the dealer even had a chance to check it in and do
what they had to do to make them CPO RDX's. Also know that new books come out the first of each month. So, rechecking then is necessary. The fact that an all new RDX is coming out will affect the Gen 2 models, but, not as much
as other manufacturers in similar situations. RDX's are just a great commodity. People like them. Now, it helps that I personally detailed my trade. It was as spotless as I could get it. Open the doors....the door jams are waxed and shiny!
I had fairly new Michelins on it. It was a very desirable color combo. Low miles for a '16 and all service records. But, it's true, the more miles you put on it the less you will get. I parked my '16 for over 2 wks to make sure the miles stayed
under 20,000. Just a "thing" of mine....When a car's mileage is still in the "teens" is just a better selling point. Like store items are $2.99 and not $3.00. Same kind of mind game.
Did we like our '16 Advance with low miles....a lot?? Yes we did. But, we also own a '17 RDX AWD Tech with approx. 3,400 miles. So, guess what we are thinking to do? Trade it for the '19 RDX A-Spec. BUT, it's not a done deal.
I do have my name on the very first white/red one that will arrive at my dealer. He'll throw me the fob, and tell me to take my time and decide IF I really want it or not. And of course the $$ numbers have to meet my needs.
IF not on either or both accounts, then my GM said, no problem, I will have no issues selling it. Now, some will say...and have here...what a dumb thing to do. Not if it's what you want and it's a passion of ours...fun vehicles. So, to some,
crazy....to others...do what you wish, it's your money and life. And it is. We don't finance anymore, I have lots of equity in my trades, and I pay cash for the difference. I trade to get the tax advantage in my state.
Now, being a "great customer" of my Acura dealership does have it's perks. Great discounts, 25% off all accessories, and discounted labor. As far as financing for you...shop around of course. I have a Credit Union that gives me 2.99%
on new car loans...IF I want to take out a loan. And yes, our FICO's are both over 800. One person here told me he would not buy a "first year all new redo" on a new model. Sometimes there are issues, but, the higher quality vehicles
generally don't have the "issues" like Dodge and Chrysler's have...and Jeep, and others. I'll take "the chance" on not having too many issues to worry about on this all new RDX. But, again, I HAVE to like the new turbo 4 and the tranny
combo! If not....no trade. It's a "want to" thing...not a "have to." Hope this helps. Oh, and the $$ figure I had in my head and had written down for my trade was only $500 off from what my GM offered. NO, I didn't lose that issue. I asked
for that $500 and got it. And yes I do my deals with the GM of the dealership. He's a great guy and very hands on. So, the value $$ numbers I researched were right with what he wanted to give me. And, I've done this SO many times
over the years. And, I'm older, so I've made over 60 purchases....and over 30 have been new vehicles.
I think the pricing of the '19 Advance might be just a little less than what you are thinking. But, that's just my "gut" feeling, and I sure could be wrong.

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 04-05-2018 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:23 AM
Pro

1. Are you nuts? You have a mint 2017 Advance with low miles. Enjoy it.

No (at least not certified)...lol. Yeah, I can keep and enjoy my ‘17, but there’s enough mind-blowing upgrades in the ‘19, of the kind that’s exactly right up my alley (Infotainment / Navi, true touchpad interface, HUD, SH-AWD, you name it)), I just might do this insane thing.

2. KBB quotes are a joke. No dealership will give you what they quote.

I realize that, but it’s good for giving at least a ballpark idea and was curious if people thought it was or wasn't way out in left field (considering what I’ve been reading about the RDX’s very good resale value).

3. Yeah, I have a super high credit score too. Who cares. Just more reason for the salesman to sucker you in on a loan or lease that you really don't need.

Who cares? The bank does. And if you think I’m going into a dealership unarmed going up against some guy whose exact job is to part me and my money (as much of it as possible), without one, maybe two, preapprovals, you’re the one that’s nuts. Let’s face it, you and I don’t have our credit score range by being foolish with our finances...

4. I have a 2016 Advance with even lower miles than yours. It's mint and I love it, and love the rock solid V6 mated to the 6-Speed. Just me.

Nice. Yeah, I’m happy with mine, too Then this ‘19 comes along...lol.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:44 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

My questions are:

Can only answer #2. Heard on a YouTube clip reviewing the 2019 RDX that pricing will be very close to the 2018. A fully loaded 2018 cost $45,145. My guess will be the 2019 will be in the $46,000 range. Standard will be a panoramic roof which is usually a $1,000 option on most vehicles. I will be waiting for the hybrid with heads up display. Estimating around $48,000 for the hybrid. A fully loaded MDX hybrid is $58,000. Agree with you that this RDX hits it out of the park. Project will be a big winner for Acura. Now the bad news: they are not going to be discounting it for awhile.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:51 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
Personally, I would avoid first year production models. Drive the 2017 for another year, which will give you another year to save and payoff your current vehicle, and look at a 2020 model.
This would be my advice too.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:44 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
My reason also for waiting for +2020 RDX if I decide to purchase. New engine, new 10AT, new chassis, new pano sunroof, new body, new suspension, and new electronic sounds like a lot of possible TSBs, software/firmware updates, and possible mechanical fixes for the +2020 RDX models. Acura made a lot of updates between the 1st model year and 2nd model year on my all new 1st Gen TSX and 1st Gen RDX. Other than the 2.3L Turbo, both platforms used existing tech and still had a lot of fixes that needed to be applied. Plus, you will most likely get a 2020 RDX cheaper than the brand new 2019 model. If the 2019 RDX turns out to be a solid vehicle, you will save even more on new 2019 on the lot when the 2020 hit the road.

I would only go with the 2019 if I change cars every 2-3 years anyways and just want the latest and greatest.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:48 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,582 Likes on 952 Posts
Good luck!

The issue is the new RDX made many people here and outside of this forum excited....lol!

I wish Acura would have done this a couple of years ago...but it's never too late. So Good job team Acura for creating this kind of excitement among Acura fans and non fans.

Side notes: I have a friend who doesn't care for Acura, Lexus or Infiniti. Only car he drives is BMW (he is on his 3rd one). He literally called me and asked me to go for a test drive once the new RDX hits the showroom. He loves the look and willing to pull the trigger for one this fall.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:33 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by chickdr
I will take a stab. The current gen RDX will drop in value a bit once the new version arrives. As you said the longer you keep it, the more it drops with mileage, etc. KBB is just that, an estimate. What you actually get will vary wildly depending on the region/color/demand. I would also look at autotrader for possible comparison cars. You will get a lot more if you sell your car, but then you won't get the trade-in tax break(assuming your state has this) so you have to calculate the difference there as well.

As for pricing on the 19 model, who knows? When it comes out you will know. I don't expect any incentives for a while with it being a new model. Pentagon Federal offers 2.49% up to 36 mths, 2.99% upto 48 mths. Acura may offer a teaser rate - you will soon know this too.
Thanks! Not sure about the trade-in tax break here in Maryland (will have to check that out). You're right -- the real, official information will come out soon enough...patience, patience. LOL
Old 04-06-2018, 04:40 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
Thanks. I guess for me, what I'm looking for is right there staring me in the face in the 2019 and I'm now at the point where, one more year (2020) is one year less younger and one more year older. I've done a lot of deferring already, if you know what I mean.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:45 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
The '19 RDX A-Spec has me very interested. I recently traded our '16 RDX Advance, 19,700 miles, white pearl/parchment for an '18 TLX A-Spec. I got $31,500 for my trade. 4th Acura from my dealer. They love my trades since
I take such good care of my vehicles. Interiors are perfect, outside, no dings, etc. I buy a lot of vehicles. I do my homework and look at KBB, N.A.D.A, and Edmonds. What I found was since my last check in Dec. RDX values had
actually gone up! Which is kinda rare for sure. RDX's sell. All dealers like them on their lots. My last 2 trades there "sold" while sitting out front where I parked them! Before the dealer even had a chance to check it in and do
what they had to do to make them CPO RDX's. Also know that new books come out the first of each month. So, rechecking then is necessary. The fact that an all new RDX is coming out will affect the Gen 2 models, but, not as much
as other manufacturers in similar situations. RDX's are just a great commodity. People like them. Now, it helps that I personally detailed my trade. It was as spotless as I could get it. Open the doors....the door jams are waxed and shiny!
I had fairly new Michelins on it. It was a very desirable color combo. Low miles for a '16 and all service records. But, it's true, the more miles you put on it the less you will get. I parked my '16 for over 2 wks to make sure the miles stayed
under 20,000. Just a "thing" of mine....When a car's mileage is still in the "teens" is just a better selling point. Like store items are $2.99 and not $3.00. Same kind of mind game.
Did we like our '16 Advance with low miles....a lot?? Yes we did. But, we also own a '17 RDX AWD Tech with approx. 3,400 miles. So, guess what we are thinking to do? Trade it for the '19 RDX A-Spec. BUT, it's not a done deal.
I do have my name on the very first white/red one that will arrive at my dealer. He'll throw me the fob, and tell me to take my time and decide IF I really want it or not. And of course the $$ numbers have to meet my needs.
IF not on either or both accounts, then my GM said, no problem, I will have no issues selling it. Now, some will say...and have here...what a dumb thing to do. Not if it's what you want and it's a passion of ours...fun vehicles. So, to some,
crazy....to others...do what you wish, it's your money and life. And it is. We don't finance anymore, I have lots of equity in my trades, and I pay cash for the difference. I trade to get the tax advantage in my state.
Now, being a "great customer" of my Acura dealership does have it's perks. Great discounts, 25% off all accessories, and discounted labor. As far as financing for you...shop around of course. I have a Credit Union that gives me 2.99%
on new car loans...IF I want to take out a loan. And yes, our FICO's are both over 800. One person here told me he would not buy a "first year all new redo" on a new model. Sometimes there are issues, but, the higher quality vehicles
generally don't have the "issues" like Dodge and Chrysler's have...and Jeep, and others. I'll take "the chance" on not having too many issues to worry about on this all new RDX. But, again, I HAVE to like the new turbo 4 and the tranny
combo! If not....no trade. It's a "want to" thing...not a "have to." Hope this helps. Oh, and the $$ figure I had in my head and had written down for my trade was only $500 off from what my GM offered. NO, I didn't lose that issue. I asked
for that $500 and got it. And yes I do my deals with the GM of the dealership. He's a great guy and very hands on. So, the value $$ numbers I researched were right with what he wanted to give me. And, I've done this SO many times
over the years. And, I'm older, so I've made over 60 purchases....and over 30 have been new vehicles.
I think the pricing of the '19 Advance might be just a little less than what you are thinking. But, that's just my "gut" feeling, and I sure could be wrong.
Hey - I'm retired AF, too! Cool... I totally appreciate your post. Great information according to your experience, and you've made a lot of great points. I'll come back to what you wrote as the time gets closer to decision time. THANKS!!
Old 04-06-2018, 04:53 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by FredS
Can only answer #2. Heard on a YouTube clip reviewing the 2019 RDX that pricing will be very close to the 2018. A fully loaded 2018 cost $45,145. My guess will be the 2019 will be in the $46,000 range. Standard will be a panoramic roof which is usually a $1,000 option on most vehicles. I will be waiting for the hybrid with heads up display. Estimating around $48,000 for the hybrid. A fully loaded MDX hybrid is $58,000. Agree with you that this RDX hits it out of the park. Project will be a big winner for Acura. Now the bad news: they are not going to be discounting it for awhile.
OK - was curious so I have some sort of baseline to tentatively work with as I play around with strategies to execute my plan to score a '19...lol. On discounts, yeah - you're probably right. Will definitely still be on the look out. I'm a veteran, a Grad school student, etc. Who knows. Hey, thanks...
Old 04-06-2018, 04:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
No dealer will give you KBB value... However, if you sold your vehicle privately, you could very much get the KBB value.

A dealer will low ball you, likely 5-7k below KBB, on your trade in. They then take that car and sell it at the dealership at KBB value. They say they have to offer so much less, in case the car needs repairs, maintenance, whatever... But it's just bs. They're in the business of making money, and reselling used vehicles is their bread and butter.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:54 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Thanks.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:56 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mrgold35
My reason also for waiting for +2020 RDX if I decide to purchase. New engine, new 10AT, new chassis, new pano sunroof, new body, new suspension, and new electronic sounds like a lot of possible TSBs, software/firmware updates, and possible mechanical fixes for the +2020 RDX models. Acura made a lot of updates between the 1st model year and 2nd model year on my all new 1st Gen TSX and 1st Gen RDX. Other than the 2.3L Turbo, both platforms used existing tech and still had a lot of fixes that needed to be applied. Plus, you will most likely get a 2020 RDX cheaper than the brand new 2019 model. If the 2019 RDX turns out to be a solid vehicle, you will save even more on new 2019 on the lot when the 2020 hit the road.

I would only go with the 2019 if I change cars every 2-3 years anyways and just want the latest and greatest.
Good case for waiting. Don't know if I can resist, though...lol.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:00 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Good luck!

The issue is the new RDX made many people here and outside of this forum excited....lol!

I wish Acura would have done this a couple of years ago...but it's never too late. So Good job team Acura for creating this kind of excitement among Acura fans and non fans.

Side notes: I have a friend who doesn't care for Acura, Lexus or Infiniti. Only car he drives is BMW (he is on his 3rd one). He literally called me and asked me to go for a test drive once the new RDX hits the showroom. He loves the look and willing to pull the trigger for one this fall.
Yep - I caught the bug...lol. The Prototype was amazing - just stunning, and now that the production has been introduced, the excitement got ratcheted up even more. I thought my '17's awesome (it is)...the '19, even more so. Agree that Acura has done something really special.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:11 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TacoBello
No dealer will give you KBB value... However, if you sold your vehicle privately, you could very much get the KBB value.

A dealer will low ball you, likely 5-7k below KBB, on your trade in. They then take that car and sell it at the dealership at KBB value. They say they have to offer so much less, in case the car needs repairs, maintenance, whatever... But it's just bs. They're in the business of making money, and reselling used vehicles is their bread and butter.
Hmmm... No doubt you're right. I'm not much of the selling type (directly to other people). I'll have to take the time to research how people do that successfully. Thank you.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:18 PM
Team Owner

I'm not sure how it is in the US, but it's relatively safe buying/selling used cars here in Canada. Ive bought and sold a number of cars using Kijiji (aka Canadian Craigslist). I've personally never had a bad experience. Not sure how it is where you are, but posting your car online is a good way to get it out there for people to see.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
You have a car that's still under factory warranty - should make selling private party a lot easier and quicker, and you'll definitely make more than with a private sale. I'd say put a little less down on the new one so you can make payments on both for a few months if needed while you sell the old one after buying the new one. Then take that cash and put it straight down on your new loan.

The only reason to not do the above is if your state only charges the sales tax on the difference between the selling price of the new car and your trade in - at the value of yours it could easily mean a few thousand dollars, and depending on the private party market and their offer on your trade, it could be a deal worth taking (and also not having to go through the work of selling and potentially making double payments). From what I understand, the sales tax thing is different by state.
The following users liked this post:
TacoBello (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 06:30 PM
Team Owner

Honestly, I can't blame you for wanting to trade up your 2G, for a 3G RDX. While the 2G has the engine and 6AT perfected, it's looks are rather... Bland. I keep looking at a top trim 2G RDX at my work and keep thinking it looks anything but. I dunno. Maybe it's just me. They do sell 50,000+ of them, every year. People must like it.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Honestly, I can't blame you for wanting to trade up your 2G, for a 3G RDX. While the 2G has the engine and 6AT perfected, it's looks are rather... Bland. I keep looking at a top trim 2G RDX at my work and keep thinking it looks anything but. I dunno. Maybe it's just me. They do sell 50,000+ of them, every year. People must like it.
I used to (and still do) see a TON of 2G MDX’s compared to 1G RDX’s on the road. But the last couple years I have been seeing about the same if not more 2G RDX’s than 3G MDX’s.

The 2G RDX while a decent car just really didn’t have the pulling power to attract BMW, Mercedes, and Audi buyers. But I actually feel like this 3G RDX has what it takes to pull some of those buyers away as well as attract the same crowd as before again. Wouldn’t be surprised to see the 3G exceed the sales of the 2G to the ball park of 75k+ units a year.

Not to mention the MDX has always been at least twice as nice inside as the RDX and this 3G RDX is easily nicer inside than the current 3G MDX...means the next gen MDX should be up to the same build quality as the Germans.....Acura could really claw it’s way back up there. If they can keep pumping out solid cars Lexus could have some trouble on its’ hands in the near future IMO.
RDL1 (04-07-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 05:56 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by RDX10

Acura could really claw it’s way back up there. If they can keep pumping out solid cars Lexus could have some trouble on its’ hands in the near future IMO.
This RDX will be the Lexus NX killer and even take away a lot of RX sales. My old post on the subject.
Between my wife and I we have owned 12 Acura's over 25 years. We went over to Lexus five years ago. Can not beat their reliability and cost of maintenance. We were considering trading in her 2015 Lexus RX450h for a 2018 newly design Lexus NXh. So glad we did not pull the trigger since seeing this RDX. No comparison. Lexus has no Android Auto or Apple Play. Has no HUD or panoramic roof. Never liked the front grill on the Lexus SUVs with that large mouth grill. Do not like Lexus's two tone seats or only black dash that shows every piece of lint. RDX has a much better looking modern shifter, medium gray dash, much better mouse pad. The SH AWD is all wheel drive on steroids. Acura has real leather compared to nuluxe and wood accents compared to none in a NX. If this comes in with the hybrid option around $48,000 it will be a huge success. The MDX hybrid with every option list at $58,000.
RDL1 (04-07-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 03:37 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Exclamation

Sorry, but, your statement about..."no dealer will give you KBB value" is totally false. Don't know your experience in doing "deals/trades" etc, but, mine is extensive. It helps to know the dealership and personnel. I NEVER start out with
a "salesperson." Since I have established myself with different dealers due to many purchases I know the GM's and the #2 person..the Gen. Sales Mgrs. at each. I make my deals with the GM's normally. And, I KNOW that is highly
unusual, but, I have worked my way in to that position..and having great "hands on" GM's helps too. But, to your point. I look at 3 book values and kinda average them out...and also know that RDX's sell well, esp. low mileage ones in great
cond. When I decided on what I feel my '16 RDX Advance was worth...AFTER looking at the $$ numbers in KBB, N.A.D.A. and Edmonds I came up with a $$ figure I feel I needed/wanted for my trade. I came up with $31,500 and my GM's thought was $31,000. I said...No, I think my RDX is worth the extra $500 and it's a win win for us both. He didn't hesitate and that's what I got. What was my numbers based on? KBB was one of my sources. And how close was I to what
my dealer wanted to give me...$500. And, I got that money. So, pls, don't tell people you can't get what KBB says your trade is worth. It's what I always use along with the other two sources...and I have always received what I asked for
on a trade. Got to know how to deal with these dealerships. Yes, it you walk in, and start talking to the first sales person that greets you....they will try and low ball your trade, and get max for their new vehicle. That's the norm. Don't have
to go that route. KNOW what you have...what it's worth....and stick to it. Learn who the Gen. Sales Mgr is and make an apt to see him/her. Sit down with that person and start your negotiation. Don't start with the common sales person.
If you do...where do you think they go to when you are throwing out #'s?? They go run to a Sales Mgr. that's on duty. NOT the GSM...just one of a few Sales Mgrs. they have at each dealership. Then you are going back and forth....round
and round and it's a waste of time. Again, find out who the Gen. Sales Mgr. is and make an appt. They may at first try and steer you to a Sales Person...but, just say I'd like to see the GSM. Helps to know their name. They won't say no.
I've NEVER been told I cannot have an appt. with the Gen. Sales Mgr. NEVER. Why would they? They want to talk to customers and make a sale. They can make the decision without taking to anyone else...on the final #'s. Sometimes, IF
you are REALLY being tough on the $$ figures they may go to the GM to get an OK. I've had that happen some time ago. But, again, now I have established relationships with the GM's directly. MUCH easier. They make the deal with me, and then pick a sales person to turn it over to for them to handle the guidance to Finance for paperwork and to handle your delivery....and they get what little commission left for them after I low ball them!! LOL!!!
And...get this. My trade was never looked at. The offer was all done via emails!! And or phone too. My last two were like that. They know me and my vehicles. So, that is very rare...but, in my case that's how it has been going.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:12 PM
Team Owner

Seeing as you don't know how to use paragraph breaks, I'm not even going to bother reading your anecdotal stories based in a tiny part of the country (aka limited market).

Yet again, dealerships are in the business of making money. And they make a killing- WAY more on used cars than new cars.
MTD (04-07-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 08:40 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The v6 in your current RDX is a rock solid power plant. Sure the turbo 4 may offer better performance but you will lose some refinement and smoothness that your current v6 offers.

I say, stay put for now. Let them work the kinks out in the new RDX.
Old 04-08-2018, 03:58 PM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
I've got a 2016 Advance I'm happy with. Will probably trade next January if no major glitches are identified in the first 6 months or so.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by FredS
This RDX will be the Lexus NX killer and even take away a lot of RX sales. My old post on the subject.
Between my wife and I we have owned 12 Acura's over 25 years. We went over to Lexus five years ago. Can not beat their reliability and cost of maintenance. We were considering trading in her 2015 Lexus RX450h for a 2018 newly design Lexus NXh. So glad we did not pull the trigger since seeing this RDX. No comparison. Lexus has no Android Auto or Apple Play. Has no HUD or panoramic roof. Never liked the front grill on the Lexus SUVs with that large mouth grill. Do not like Lexus's two tone seats or only black dash that shows every piece of lint. RDX has a much better looking modern shifter, medium gray dash, much better mouse pad. The SH AWD is all wheel drive on steroids. Acura has real leather compared to nuluxe and wood accents compared to none in a NX. If this comes in with the hybrid option around $48,000 it will be a huge success. The MDX hybrid with every option list at $58,000.
The RX has been the number one selling luxury SUV for a number of years now and I have seen a TON of the latest model on the road. I guess the people who buy RX’s really don’t care about the styling very much. Personally I feel that Lexus’ biggest pitfall is going to be their styling if they don’t tone it down already. The GS just got axed (if I read that correctly) and is going to be replaced by the ES in the lineup. To me the main reason for that is that the GS front end looks butt ugly and hideous and that’s why it has had such a hard time selling.

Lexus and Toyota seem to be under the impression that in order to have a youthful or edgey car you have to go way over the top with extremely in your face and polarizing garish front end designs. They really ought to take a page out of the Germans playbooks where some of the most menacing vehicles have subdued but aggressive design cues.

Now in terms of this RDX, I think it’s the best designed car Acura has had to date. It’s aggressive, it’s elegant, it’s uniquely Acura. I wasn’t a fan of the pentagon grille but now that they designed a car around the grille it really looks awesome. I’m very excited to see where they take the next gen MDX, TLX, and RLX. They keep doing important incremental changes to the MDX for example which reminds me of when Kia and Hyundai started hitting their stride in 2011 with year after year of much needed small changes.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:56 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Hmmm... No doubt you're right. I'm not much of the selling type (directly to other people). I'll have to take the time to research how people do that successfully. Thank you.
I've only ever traded in one car, that was my TSX when I bought the TLX. I took it to Texas Direct Auto (like CarMax, but better pricing) and got their written offer. Took that to the Acura dealer, and the car was in such good shape they gave me that trade in value. I was surprised. I was ready to sell it to TDA. But generally a dealership will make more on your trade in then the new car.

For early pricing on the 2019 RDX don't expect much of a discount. I think there will still be demand for the outgoing model because some will always want the V6 over the 4-cyl turbo. I got a veterans discount, even though it wasn't advertised. Wasn't much, $500-$750, can't remember exactly.

If you want the car and have the means go for it. We'd all be interested in how the RDX is working. Personally my experience with the 2015 TLX has cured me of any desire for a 1st year Acura. I used to have some trust in the company that they would treat their customers well. That trust is totally shattered now. You have to look out for yourself, don't trust Acura to fix problems with the 1st year car if you buy it. If you have that attitude you will not be disappointed.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:51 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35

just to make a point, the new engine and transmission is already in use in the Accord. So there is something to watch there if any problems crop up. I suspect that the only power differences posted would be if the RDX calls for premium gas, since the lower numbers on the Accord are done with regular gas.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:51 AM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by jcross1231
I've got a 2016 Advance I'm happy with. Will probably trade next January if no major glitches are identified in the first 6 months or so.
Exactly my scenario and plan as well. 2016 Advance--great car--but likely a January update to the 3rd generation.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:26 AM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog

just to make a point, the new engine and transmission is already in use in the Accord. So there is something to watch there if any problems crop up. I suspect that the only power differences posted would be if the RDX calls for premium gas, since the lower numbers on the Accord are done with regular gas.
To add on to what you wrote, the 2.0T and 10AT will be the first time this combination will be coupled to an AWD system. So there could be some issues in that regard as well.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:12 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts

The new 10AT is also being used in the 2018 RLX with 310hp/272tq in fwd. I haven't been on the RLX forum to get their impression of the 10AT. I don't think the RLX ever had the 9AT? That was two of the main reason for me skipping the current Gen of Acura's was 9AT and no sh-awd for the 2nd Gen RDX.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I just went to the Honda forum on the Accord with the new 10AT , and so far people seem to be loving it that it's very smooth. One guy wrote that it felt like a CVT, no shift points much at all LOL ! Let's hope we don't compare it to a CVT !! That is one reason I want to get the RDX .
Old 04-09-2018, 06:38 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by RDL1
I just went to the Honda forum on the Accord with the new 10AT , and so far people seem to be loving it that it's very smooth. One guy wrote that it felt like a CVT, no shift points much at all LOL ! Let's hope we don't compare it to a CVT !! That is one reason I want to get the RDX .
nah, don't tell me that. Don't tell me someone said his tranny was like a CVT. Geez, what is this world coming to?
The following 2 users liked this post by Madd Dog:
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (04-10-2018), RDL1 (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 08:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

nah, don't tell me that. Don't tell me someone said his tranny was like a CVT. Geez, what is this world coming to?
I agree ! Perhaps he was just happy not having any jerky shifts LOL . From Car and Driver about the 10sp - The Accord’s 2.0-liter turbo is so smooth, quiet, and refined that you’d never guess it shares anything with the raucous Type R engine. With either transmission, it pulls strongly enough to help you forget about the defunct V-6, with linear power delivery throughout the rev range and almost no turbo lag. The 10-speed automatic is a willing partner for this flexible engine, with quick and unobtrusive shifts that lend the powertrain a polished character.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:22 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Smile

Seeing as you don't know how to use paragraph breaks, I'm not even going to bother reading your anecdotal stories based in a tiny part of the country (aka limited market).

Yet again, dealerships are in the business of making money. And they make a killing- WAY more on used cars than new cars.
I get that you are trying to "get to me" with your comments. But, I will answer with candor and intelligence and with lots of years of car buying and trading experience. Is 50 yrs enough? I think so.
First, I will apologize to everyone for not putting breaks in my answer. And, yes, I do know how to write since for many years I did that for a living. Remember, never assume.
If you had read it you would have learned that your statement is not accurate and that I have been quite successful using KBB as ONE of my sources as I explained.

And, since you want a break...as you should, here is one. Now, I've known for more years than I care to remember, that dealers generally make more profit on used vehicles than new. That's pretty much
a "known" issue in the car business. And, I was in the car business, for a short time, and also worked with a good friend that had a dealership in California for 30 yrs. I helped at the auctions, and selling vehicles also.
So, never assume that the person writing their thread reply that they know nothing...or you know more than they do, so therefore their thoughts are irrelevant and wrong.

I stand by what I had written one hundred percent....since it was my experiences over many years. Many more than you I'm guessing.....since
I'm sure I am quite a bit older than you. Also, the small market you talk of hasn't changed the way I work a deal vs the way I did in the largest market in the U.S, Southern California. The only issue I have is inventory, at times,
but, I always find and get what I want right here in Colorado. And, I get the deals I want based on many reasons...my vast experiences, and knowing who I am dealing with.
This "tiny part of the country" as you call it has provided me with all the vehicles I wanted to purchase. Lived here 12 years, and have purchased 13 new cars and suv's. Not one was shipped in from out of state.

Since you didn't read my answer to a person's question....I will repeat this one piece...just for you. On a trade value for my '16 RDX Advance with 19,700 miles, I used, KBB, N.A.D.A. and Edmonds and I came up with a $$ figure I felt was
fair. The GM of my Acura dealer was low by only $500. I said, no, and explained why...and with no fuss at all he gave me my $31,500. So, KBB was 1/3 of my research and it was a big part of helping me come up with that number.

Saying that KBB is basically not going to be even close to what a person can get on a trade is just not a reasonable answer from you or anyone else. I've proved it is a great help over and over. 60+ cars owned...over 30+ new.

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 04-09-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:36 AM
Racer

I always use KBB for my trades. Salesman usually says "where did you come up with that figure for you car"? after low balling me. When I state it is the KBB trade in value, they have always come back with OK and agree with the price. My cars have always been in excellent condition when trading.

As far as the breaks,

guys this is a car forum.

Who cares. It is not a resume forum.

This bullying on these kind of forums really shows one's immaturity. We are on here for the love of Acura, to share knowledge and to gain knowledge.
The following 3 users liked this post by FredS:
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (04-10-2018), mhcrowder (04-10-2018), Pens Fan (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 08:07 AM
Racer

Received 222 Likes on 141 Posts
I have used a similar strategy as Colorado Guy AF Ret and had similar results. You must be prepared and knowledgeable and willing to walk if the transaction does not work for both sides.
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (04-10-2018)

Quick Reply: Thinking of trading in my '17 RDX (Advance) for the '19