Test Drove SH-AWD Tech - VERY DISAPPOINTED

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 10:14 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraGuy2016
We are happy with our 2015 RDX. We wish it were a little more updated, had some safety tech, and had rear AC vents. We really wish we bought a 2017/2018 RDX AWD Advance when we had the chance - we would have kept it for a long time. Disappointed.
I had the same experience, driving both vehicles back to back.

If you're good with black on black, there are at least 2 AWD 2018 Advance and 2 FWD 2018 Advance still for sale in southern California. I had negotiated one of the dealers to under $35k, months ago, so I'm sure you'd be able to get a far better deal at this point.

Although the 2019 did have some great benefits (particularly the HUD), I ended up going with a low mileage 2017 Advance CPO, as I preferred the V6 and proven reliability.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Yeah, Not sure why we are so caught up with few opinionated comments. These are folks who chose to ignore hard numbers (one even said “I don’t care what the real measurement says”) and facts. Comparing a sedan to suv driving dynamics....etc

they are entitled to their opinions and perceptions.

i have test drove x3 and xc60, the RDX is def not sluggish comparing to those two.

Last edited by acuraada; 09-01-2018 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:52 AM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada
Yeah, Not sure why we are so caught up with few opinionated comments. These are folks who chose to ignore hard numbers (one even said “I don’t care what the real measurement says”) and facts. Comparing a sedan to suv driving dynamics....etc

they are entitled to their opinions and perceptions.

i have test drove x3 and xc60, the RDX is def not sluggish comparing to those two.

In many ways the new RDX is a great vehicle, much better than the 2G. That said, the 2019 RDX has noticeably more cabin noise than the 2G, and for the type of driving we do (mostly on concrete highways), it makes it unacceptable to us, regardless of how good it may be in other ways. We know this since we already own 2G and drove the same route back to back within minutes.

I have been a loyal Acura fan since my 3G TL. I WANT to buy an Acura and WANT them to design and product good products. I get disappointed when they fall short, as I had very high expectations and wanted a new RDX. No way will I pay $40k+ for something so noisy, regardless of how good it may be otherwise.

Acura comes so close. They make fantastic products with each having one fatal flaw:
2019 RDX: Unacceptably high cabin noise
TLX: ZF 9 speed
MDX: ZF 9 speed
MDX Sport Hybrid: Lack of availability
RLX Sport Hybrid: Antiquated infotainment system on an expensive flagship vehicle when Honda parents has had a much better one available 3 years ago with the 2016 Accord.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
You guys need to CHILL. So what if someone doesn't like your car, grow up and get over it. These are all personal perceptions and opinions, people don't always need hard facts when expressing their opinions or feelings. Some of you are really coming off like blazing fan boys even if it's unintentional and I don't use that pejoratively. OP and others are entitled to their opinions.

On the flipside, a lot of people (not just this thread) are comparing the RDX with things like the XC60 even though the RDX tops out at nearly half of the XC60's top price. I'd surely hope the XC60 would be nicer. What I mean by that is of course the RDX isn't going to be as quiet as an XC60 or as fast as a Stelvio Quadrifoglio or as nimble as a BMW X3. Acura has always been about the best all around car not really the best in one area. So if you go in looking at it as being 80% in all areas vs 100% in some, you will come back impressed.

Just my 2 cents and no personal attacks intended.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:57 AM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraGuy2016
I previously test drove a 2019 RDX FWD Tech and was disappointed, thinking a SH-AWD would improve performance. I was wrong. I recently test drove a 2019 RDX SHAWD Tech and it was more of the same.

The car does get some things right: Updated tech, decent looks, great space, cargo, handling OK for what it is, seems comfortable enough.
Here is where it fell short: Sluggish acceleration vs. expectations. 0-60 no better than outgoing RDX. It felt slightly slower to me. However, 40-65 was NOTICEABLY MUCH SLOWER than outgoing 2G RDX. That is unacceptable.

Here is where it really fell short: ROAD NOISE WAS TERRIBLE - UNACCEPTABLE for a "LUXURY" Vehicle. This was most pronounced on concrete paved highways at highway speeds, which would be >70% of the way the vehicle would be driven. The outgoing RDX was NOTICEABLY MUCH QUIETER in that situation.

I'm extremely disappointed that all the new 2018 RDX Advances are gone. I wish I would have gotten one when I had the chance. Even with the outdated tech, it was a great vehicle. There are still new 2018 Techs, but the features I want are only offered in the Advance, and the CPO deals on 2016-2018 RDX Advance are terrible values.

The TLX and the MDX both have a very quiet and comfortable cabin. Since Acura can make such vehicle, I was hoping they would make the 2019 RDX more like the current MDX. I was totally wrong. The TLX and MDX are great, except for one thing: ZF 9 speed. I would have happily had both vehicles in my garage, but Acura totally botched up this key part, alienating an entire generation of vehicles I otherwise like almost everything else about.

I have been loyal to Acura for many years, but am so turned off by this brand's recent actions that I will likely jump ship. I'm not sure where, though. Lexus is even more expensive, and while the vehicles are very quiet and comfortable, they do not perform well until you get into stratospheric prices. Audi is looking the most promising so far. They are quiet, comfortable, and perform better than Lexus and Acura, and seem to get more for your money than MB or BMW. Acura was my go-to brand, but they have not delivered. Disappointed as they used to be a sweet spot for value and performance. Now I have to spend a lot more. Ticked.
I love our 14 and 17 RDX but the 19 is far better, but I must say I like the V6 better than the I4 Turbo. I think you are in the minority here and you must move on. The Audi to me is like the Lexus and always has been, superior in many ways at a cost. The RDX is a bargain for what you get. Period.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:36 AM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BLEXV6
I love our 14 and 17 RDX but the 19 is far better, but I must say I like the V6 better than the I4 Turbo. I think you are in the minority here and you must move on. The Audi to me is like the Lexus and always has been, superior in many ways at a cost. The RDX is a bargain for what you get. Period.
I'm guessing a V6 and a Hybrid will be in the RDX within a few years. Then it will be another reason form me to trade in my car after less then three years. I'm a sucker for the next step up. I would love to see a Sport Hybrid on the RDX like the MDX. I was about to pull the trigger on a MDX Sport Hybrid when the new RDX was announced. Maybe even a plugin hybrid could be in the future. One thing in my 2019 RDX Advance over my 2016 MDX Advance is the idle stop. When you tie the auto break hold with the idle stop, you get a completely seamless start up from idle stop by just stepping on the throttle petal. With my 2016 MDX, there was always a bit of a jerk and engine wind up when starting up after the engine went idle. Also, it seems the RDX stays off much longer than my MDX ever did. It seemed a waist on the MDX, but the RDX stays off long enough to probably save some fuel.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:57 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
I absolutely love my RDX, but I do have to agree that there is more road noise than I’d like. Is it unacceptable? No, but it is louder than my TLX was. I think it’s mosty tire noise though. I’m hoping that it’ll be better once I actually put some good tires on.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:22 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by pnoi521
I absolutely love my RDX, but I do have to agree that there is more road noise than I’d like. Is it unacceptable? No, but it is louder than my TLX was. I think it’s mosty tire noise though. I’m hoping that it’ll be better once I actually put some good tires on.
You also have to realize, SUV and Sedan doesn't have the same build, diff. Suspension, tire size and lots other things, of course you cannot compare with TLX..as for the road noises..
Old 09-03-2018, 08:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
We really need to stop posting in this thread. You can’t convince someone who has stated their personal experience. It is how they feel and their point of view. They are driving the car, not you. So if they feel RDX G2 is a lot quieter, by all means go CPO or look for a 18. There are no words or data that can convince them otherwise. So let them be.

Most of us here are cross shopping the competitions and the RDX fairs pretty well against them.

Lets all move on
The following 6 users liked this post by acuraada:
billyt1963 (09-03-2018), birdonamission (09-03-2018), Madd Dog (09-04-2018), Master47 (09-03-2018), oblio98 (09-04-2018), securityguy (09-04-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-03-2018, 09:09 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by jimhanseng
I'm guessing a V6 and a Hybrid will be in the RDX within a few years. Then it will be another reason form me to trade in my car after less then three years. I'm a sucker for the next step up. I would love to see a Sport Hybrid on the RDX like the MDX. I was about to pull the trigger on a MDX Sport Hybrid when the new RDX was announced. Maybe even a plugin hybrid could be in the future. One thing in my 2019 RDX Advance over my 2016 MDX Advance is the idle stop. When you tie the auto break hold with the idle stop, you get a completely seamless start up from idle stop by just stepping on the throttle petal. With my 2016 MDX, there was always a bit of a jerk and engine wind up when starting up after the engine went idle. Also, it seems the RDX stays off much longer than my MDX ever did. It seemed a waist on the MDX, but the RDX stays off long enough to probably save some fuel.
I’m struggling to imagine the RDX with a V6 again. Everyone in the segment seems to be going 2.0T with similar hp and more torque than a V6 that takes up valuable cabin space they can sell, all else equal. A few less inches in the engine compartment equals class leading legroom or cargo space. Can certainly see the sport hybrid play at some point, but with EPA regulations as they are, I can’t see going V6 to 4-cyl turbo back to V6. They’ve already done that once.

Either way, we’re not talking this guy into buying an RDX.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by oblio98
When I bought my A-Spec I had them replace the Goodyear's with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires and I honestly have not noticed any road noise at all, and these are 20" tires.

But I would suggest as others above have, just don't buy the car. PROBLEM SOLVED!

Me, I love mine.
Why did you change out tires upon purchasing? You not like the Badyears, just curious?
Old 09-04-2018, 05:13 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Master47

I’m struggling to imagine the RDX with a V6 again. Everyone in the segment seems to be going 2.0T with similar hp and more torque than a V6 that takes up valuable cabin space they can sell, all else equal. A few less inches in the engine compartment equals class leading legroom or cargo space. Can certainly see the sport hybrid play at some point, but with EPA regulations as they are, I can’t see going V6 to 4-cyl turbo back to V6. They’ve already done that once.

Either way, we’re not talking this guy into buying an RDX.
The 4 cyl turbo is the BASE engine if competing luxury compact SUV. The BMW has a couple 4 cyl versions and at the top end a v6. The Merc GLC AMC is a 6 cyl. There is plenty of room in the 2019 RDX to put a 6 cyl in the future. The 2019 RDX is larger than the 2017 RDX which has a 6 cyl.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:23 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by oblio98
When I bought my A-Spec I had them replace the Goodyear's with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires and I honestly have not noticed any road noise at all, and these are 20" tires.

But I would suggest as others above have, just don't buy the car. PROBLEM SOLVED!

Me, I love mine.
My Advance came with Continental brand tires. They are very quiet and smooth riding. I didn't like the Michelins on my MDX. When you buy an A-Spec you are purchasing a "Sport" version of the car with larger, wider and lower profile tires. They will be louder and harder riding by design. That is what you bought. I suggest anyone who wants a quiet smooth ride get the Advance with the dynamic suspension. Stay away from the A-Spec is you are looking for smooth and quiet.
The following users liked this post:
securityguy (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 05:29 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by OK-RDX
Why did you change out tires upon purchasing? You not like the Badyears, just curious?
The Goodyear RSA's have a bad reputation and rate inferior to most. My dealer took them in "trade" and I went for the Pilot A/S because I've had them on other Acura's and they've always been great. Personal preference I guess. I wanted to start from scratch with good tires as they are what's between me and the road.
The following users liked this post:
OK-RDX (09-06-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 08:21 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
The 4 cyl turbo is the BASE engine if competing luxury compact SUV. The BMW has a couple 4 cyl versions and at the top end a v6. The Merc GLC AMC is a 6 cyl. There is plenty of room in the 2019 RDX to put a 6 cyl in the future. The 2019 RDX is larger than the 2017 RDX which has a 6 cyl.
I hear what your saying, and see what the competition is doing. Those competitors have always offered choices whether it’s 3 engine options or 6 wood color options, or an all-with-all mentality on color combos. That’s just not Acura or what they’ve done to this point to combat the competition with the RDX. Again I could see the sport hybrid combo, but not some blown V6 or something to compete with an AMG or M, and Acura’s current V6 isn’t much of a performance gain over the 2.0T. (I’d want to see that V6 mounted longitudinally, if they wanted to go down that path, by the way)
Old 11-01-2018, 01:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
While I agree about tires and size, my 19 TLX ASPEC has 19 inches rims and low profile tires compared to the RDX and is dead quiet compared to the RDX and I have my ANC disabled.
Is ANC enabled by default?
Old 11-01-2018, 01:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

I have the Continental CrossContacts which are rate 7.1/10 overall on tirerack.com with 7.2 for noise. I do find it noisy.
Compared to that, Goodyear Assurance is rated at 9.2 overall, 9.1/10 for noise. The Michelin Pilots are rate 8.7/10 overall, 8.6/10 for noise.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

I suggest anyone who wants a quiet smooth ride get the Advance with the dynamic suspension. Stay away from the A-Spec is you are looking for smooth and quiet.
I don't think smoothness is exclusive to the Advance. It will ride the same as the Base and Tech cars. However, it does have acoustic front side glass to that would probably help with the noise.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:25 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The adaptive dampers on Advance noticably help ride comfort and overall ride feel when cornering. My SHAWD Advance is super quiet and comfortable on basically all roads.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Oops, made a mistake in post #58 above. I incorrectly thought active dampers were on the A-spec. I stand corrected. Advance will have a different ride too.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:21 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Smile FWD vs Sh-Awd

Here's the basic facts on any "performance gains" with the Sh-Awd vs the FWD. The Sh-Awd system is designed mainly for giving grip and traction to the drive wheel(s) that need it depending on the road conditions and your
driving style at the moment.

A well versed car person wrote about the system and gave a great explanation of the system. in short, he said, most all people driving around town will NOT notice a difference....or know you even have the Sh-Awd system....until
the traction issues of the road become an issue, and you will really "feel" the added handling prowess the system has when you push it "hard" in to a long sweeping curve. He said...."that's when the system really shines." Now,
he also noted, most folks won't do this....or would be afraid to push the particular vehicle hard in to a tight sweeping curve....afraid to trust it. He has done it often, and says the experience is special. It holds and powers through
the turn like a race car....well close!

I have an '18 TLX A-Spec with Sh-Awd. I have pushed it HARD in to a long sweeping turn....and actually some shorter tight ones. I trusted the system. And, wow, was I surprised!! It didn't lean....just powered through the curve
or turn and did feel like some of the true sports cars I've owned in the past. I relate it to my once owned Saleen Mustang.
I had a BMW 5 series ahead of me that "thought" I wanted to "play" with him. He took off....and I didn't at first, but, then the "young man of yester year" kicked in and I obliged him. I pushed it hard in to the turn he just made, and
my TLX was amazing. I was on that Bimmer in no time and he tried to get away from me....and he couldn't. He tried once more on a tighter hard right turn, and I "trusted my system" and powered hard right up to him. I'm sure
he was quite surprised.

So, again, as this writer noted in his article.....you won't know the FULL ability of the Sh-Awd system unless you trust it and really power it in to a turn. Look at the drawings done by Acura that are in the TLX, RDX, or MDX brochures.
They show where and how much of the drive power would be sent, depending on the situation. It can, on a real hard left or right turn put 100% power to the opposite rear wheel...to help balance and make the suspension handle
the turn with handling not "doable" with a vehicle without this system.

Now, will most of us push it that hard in a turn...no....I did to test it out. But, don't forget....the system is mainly to help on roads that have less than desirable traction issues.....wet, icy, snowy, etc. It is one of the best AWD systems
out there....used by Acura for a lot of years....and perfected as the years went by.

Hope this helps. Best wishes to all. I also have a '19 RDX A-Spec...and have pushed it some too...to know what the system can do. The RDX with it will corner and handle much better than the FWD model. Not as good as the
TLX....but, you'll notice the special nature of the system. The TLX is much lower to the ground....and I have Michelin AS+3's on it....so it REALLY handles in the turns.

So, increased performance? Speed in "hot turns?".....YEP.......but, in a straight line not necessarily. It's main job is to keep traction to the wheels that need it depending on the road conditions. That is worth the extra $2k to me.