Test Drove SH-AWD Tech - VERY DISAPPOINTED

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 12:01 AM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
Angry Test Drove SH-AWD Tech - VERY DISAPPOINTED

I previously test drove a 2019 RDX FWD Tech and was disappointed, thinking a SH-AWD would improve performance. I was wrong. I recently test drove a 2019 RDX SHAWD Tech and it was more of the same.

The car does get some things right: Updated tech, decent looks, great space, cargo, handling OK for what it is, seems comfortable enough.
Here is where it fell short: Sluggish acceleration vs. expectations. 0-60 no better than outgoing RDX. It felt slightly slower to me. However, 40-65 was NOTICEABLY MUCH SLOWER than outgoing 2G RDX. That is unacceptable.

Here is where it really fell short: ROAD NOISE WAS TERRIBLE - UNACCEPTABLE for a "LUXURY" Vehicle. This was most pronounced on concrete paved highways at highway speeds, which would be >70% of the way the vehicle would be driven. The outgoing RDX was NOTICEABLY MUCH QUIETER in that situation.

I'm extremely disappointed that all the new 2018 RDX Advances are gone. I wish I would have gotten one when I had the chance. Even with the outdated tech, it was a great vehicle. There are still new 2018 Techs, but the features I want are only offered in the Advance, and the CPO deals on 2016-2018 RDX Advance are terrible values.

The TLX and the MDX both have a very quiet and comfortable cabin. Since Acura can make such vehicle, I was hoping they would make the 2019 RDX more like the current MDX. I was totally wrong. The TLX and MDX are great, except for one thing: ZF 9 speed. I would have happily had both vehicles in my garage, but Acura totally botched up this key part, alienating an entire generation of vehicles I otherwise like almost everything else about.

I have been loyal to Acura for many years, but am so turned off by this brand's recent actions that I will likely jump ship. I'm not sure where, though. Lexus is even more expensive, and while the vehicles are very quiet and comfortable, they do not perform well until you get into stratospheric prices. Audi is looking the most promising so far. They are quiet, comfortable, and perform better than Lexus and Acura, and seem to get more for your money than MB or BMW. Acura was my go-to brand, but they have not delivered. Disappointed as they used to be a sweet spot for value and performance. Now I have to spend a lot more. Ticked.

Last edited by AcuraGuy2016; 08-28-2018 at 12:04 AM.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:38 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Dude... it’s not the car’s fault. Concrete roads, especially when travelled down at speed are ALWAYS noisy as fuck. Acura did quite a bit to keep noise down, but it’s not an impenetrable wall of silence. And since you’re so convinced the 2G is quieter than the 3G, I’d like to see your decibel sound readings indicating as such. Just because you drive a vehicle some time ago, does not mean it is an accurate representation. Try driving them back to back.

It could also be a simple thing such as the tires. Tires on any vehicle are ALWAYS a compromise between noise, wear and handling/braking abilities. In most applications, OEM tires are absolute shit. Maybe this time Acura focused a bit more on handling prowess than noise. Switch the tires, and voila.

Keep in mind, rim size plays a factor also. A 19” rim/wheel combo will have less sidewall than an equivalent 18” rim/wheel combo. That can also cause more noise and harshness. Most everyone wanted Acura to return to its sporty roots, and that’s exactly what they did with the new RDX. If you want an anemic driving and handling bore mobile, go pick up a Lexus. They’re slow as fuck and perform like shit.. but hey, at least they’re comfy and quiet.

Acura, nor can anyone else, build a vehicle that makes EVERYONE happy. It’s simply impossible.

I’m sure Acura won’t miss your hard earned dollars, though. There are plenty of people lining up to scoop up a new RDX, and they seem for the most part quite happy with it.

Last edited by TacoBello; 08-28-2018 at 04:40 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TacoBello:
catbert430 (08-28-2018), losiglow (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 04:40 AM
Team Owner

The current MDX and last Gen RDX suck donkey balls.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraGuy2016
Here is where it really fell short: ROAD NOISE WAS TERRIBLE - UNACCEPTABLE for a "LUXURY" Vehicle. This was most pronounced on concrete paved highways at highway speeds, which would be >70% of the way the vehicle would be driven. The outgoing RDX was NOTICEABLY MUCH QUIETER in that situation.

The TLX and the MDX both have a very quiet and comfortable cabin. Since Acura can make such vehicle, I was hoping they would make the 2019 RDX more like the current MDX. I was totally wrong. The TLX and MDX are great, except for one thing: ZF 9 speed. I would have happily had both vehicles in my garage, but Acura totally botched up this key part, alienating an entire generation of vehicles I otherwise like almost everything else about.
If you look at my quick observations post I just put up in my wife's RDX I tend to agree with you. I don't know if the tires are just noisy or the cabin lacks enough noise deadening materials, but her old 16 RDX Advance was noticeably quieter. I notice road noise on all by the smoothest of roads. My TLX even with the ANC disabled is very quiet and far quieter than the 19 RDX. Add to that the raspy rough feeling 4 banger and I not as impressed as I should be with the RDX.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Dude... it’s not the car’s fault. Concrete roads, especially when travelled down at speed are ALWAYS noisy as fuck. Acura did quite a bit to keep noise down, but it’s not an impenetrable wall of silence. And since you’re so convinced the 2G is quieter than the 3G, I’d like to see your decibel sound readings indicating as such. Just because you drive a vehicle some time ago, does not mean it is an accurate representation. Try driving them back to back.

It could also be a simple thing such as the tires. Tires on any vehicle are ALWAYS a compromise between noise, wear and handling/braking abilities. In most applications, OEM tires are absolute shit. Maybe this time Acura focused a bit more on handling prowess than noise. Switch the tires, and voila.

Keep in mind, rim size plays a factor also. A 19” rim/wheel combo will have less sidewall than an equivalent 18” rim/wheel combo. That can also cause more noise and harshness. Most everyone wanted Acura to return to its sporty roots, and that’s exactly what they did with the new RDX. If you want an anemic driving and handling bore mobile, go pick up a Lexus. They’re slow as fuck and perform like shit.. but hey, at least they’re comfy and quiet.

Acura, nor can anyone else, build a vehicle that makes EVERYONE happy. It’s simply impossible.

I’m sure Acura won’t miss your hard earned dollars, though. There are plenty of people lining up to scoop up a new RDX, and they seem for the most part quite happy with it.
While I agree about tires and size, my 19 TLX ASPEC has 19 inches rims and low profile tires compared to the RDX and is dead quiet compared to the RDX and I have my ANC disabled.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I just had a Q50 as a rental over the weekend, on concrete surfaces, the road noise was awful and then quiet as a church mouse on pavement. It's been the same issue on every other vehicle I have driven over those surfaces.
The following users liked this post:
TacoBello (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 06:14 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
just curious; what does performance have to do with luxury NVH levels?
it's quiet the opposite, actually. the more performance you have in a vehicle, the noisier and harsher the car.

just curious as your first sentence calls out the performance aspects of the SHAWD, but then is annoyed by the NVH.
were you thinking that the SHAWD would be more "cushy"?? just curious.

Last edited by justnspace; 08-28-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Tony Pac (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 06:23 AM
Team Owner

There’s a ring road that goes around my entire city. It was built in stages, over a period of about a decade. There’s a section, maybe 25% of it, that is concrete. The rest is asphalt. I feel my old as balls TL is quiet on the asphalt surfaces, but as soon as I hit the concrete, the noise goes WAY up. That, and the asphalt is smooth as a pair of shaved balls, but the concrete is abhorently bumpy for the whole stretch. You feel and hear everything.

While a 2G RDX might be quieter... it’s still going to be loud AF on concrete.

Also, what’s the width of the TLX A-spec 19s, compared to, say the 19s on the 3G RDX? Even a little bit of extra width will help with comfort and noise. You have better weight distribution across a wider tire... from what I can tell, the TLX has 10mm wider tires. That will help a little bit.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Also, what’s the width of the TLX A-spec 19s, compared to, say the 19s on the 3G RDX? Even a little bit of extra width will help with comfort and noise. You have better weight distribution across a wider tire... from what I can tell, the TLX has 10mm wider tires. That will help a little bit.
You got that backwards. All else equal, wider tires increase road noise due to the larger contact patch.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRodW
You got that backwards. All else equal, wider tires increase road noise due to the larger contact patch.
And. extra height increases comfort.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:23 AM
Suzuka Master

The road noise and engine noise I hear is regardless of concrete roads. Anything other than buttery smooth roads and the noise is obvious to me. Both her 16 RDX and both my TLXes were quieter overall. Likely tread patter and low cabin noise isolation.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:27 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
mebbe the cheap dealership put regular gas in their demos causing the sluggish acceleration.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:51 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
Sorry, OP, the 3rd gen RDX just isn’t for you. Good luck finding a car that suits your needs.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:04 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
+1

No car is perfect, find one that works for you. Cars are both expensive and personal; don't get something you will look at with regret when you walk up to it.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:05 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
We've got a ton of the new RDX's on the road in Utah. Apparently they're getting plenty of approval from folks here.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:18 PM
Drifting

Well, since the RDX weighs about 4,000 lbs, that equates to half an RDX.

I have yet to see one. When I think it is one, it turns out to be an MDX, by counting the LEDs. My two tells are the number of LEDs head on, and the floating roof from the side.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:53 AM
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
I was hoping that mine would be the first I saw in the area (Cary/Raleigh) and was a little worried that wouldn't happen with my shipping delay. Fortunately, I saw none before finally getting mine. Since getting mine, however, I've seen about for or five around the area.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:25 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Maybe 2019 RDX not for you, just find the candy you like..
Old 08-29-2018, 10:48 AM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I’m surprised to read this. I came from a ‘17 base AWD and picked up my new ‘19 Tech AWD last night. I am absolutely blown away by the performance. I think it is much quicker especially in the 30-50 range. When you throw it in Sport + mode, it feels like a sports car in my opinion. Everyone has their own opinions, I’m just surprised to hear.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:14 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
When I bought my A-Spec I had them replace the Goodyear's with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires and I honestly have not noticed any road noise at all, and these are 20" tires.

But I would suggest as others above have, just don't buy the car. PROBLEM SOLVED!

Me, I love mine.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
Check tire pressures? I've seen comments on other threads that tires are often over-inflated on fresh dealers cars, and this can negatively impact ride harshness and road noise.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
OP the car is going to be nosier on that type of roadway. Perhaps take your other vehicles and compare the noise (if they are running the same tires of course).
But road noise has a very minimal impact on the overall luxury feel of the car IMO. I could care less about acceleration as well. If your buying this '19 RDX, my hope would be the consumer is looking for a reliable, luxury and safe vehicle, not a performance oriented mid-size SUV.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:29 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
it has more power than the X3. it was built for performance. special adhesive steel along with another high tensile steel was used to make the chassis stiffer, than all of it's competitors..
it is a performance SUV.

stiffer chassis = harsher NVH.
sure, there are tricks to make the ride compliant...but dont lie to yourselves

Last edited by justnspace; 08-29-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Stew4HD (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 03:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
I guess this depends on your definition of performance. A steel chassis doesn't make this a performance SUV......I would consider the jaguar f-pace a performance SUV
Old 08-29-2018, 06:25 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MyGuti
I guess this depends on your definition of performance. A steel chassis doesn't make this a performance SUV......I would consider the jaguar f-pace a performance SUV
or the Quadrifoglio or Stelvio. To each his own, and his budget.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:54 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Tires have a lot to do with road noise. The Continental Cross Contact Sport tires that come on the RDX and RDX Advance are not the greatest. I find them to be quite prone to generating road noise. They have no milage warranty and we will be lucky to get 40K miles out of them My previous car (2008 Toyota Highlander) came with Dunlop Duelers which lasted less than 30K miles and were also noisy. From that perspective the RDX OEM tires are a little better I replaced the Duelers with Continental Cross Contact L20's which were much quieter and after 60K miles they still had plenty of tread left. I'll be replacing the Cross Contact Sports with the L20's long before I need to in order to get a better performing tire. Too bad that was not an option before delivery.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
You guys are aware that for 2019, the advance model has more sound dampened material than tech right?

acoustic front glass, sound damping foam in between spaces and thicker under chassis are among the few listed.

just making sure the complaint is justifiable on equal level

The advance model I test drove is on par with XC60 And GLC.... atleast to my ears.

Last edited by acuraada; 08-30-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by acuraada
You guys are aware that for 2019, the advance model has more sound dampened material than tech right?

acoustic front glass, sound damping foam in between spaces and thicker under chassis are among the few listed.

just making sure the complaint is justifiable on equal level

The advance model I test drove is on par with XC60 And GLC.... atleast to my ears.
well if the Advance is quieter than the other RDX models then I am less impressed. It is not horrible, but to me cheapens the experience.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:27 PM
Drifting

I am satisfied with the sound level in my Tech. Some roads really suck, especially broken-up concrete ones, and those blacktop roads that are a series of patches. But, short of a Bentley Continental, it will get rough and loud.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:21 PM
Racer

This will be used mostly for high speed highway driving, and almost every highway here is concrete. I pay close attention to wind/road noise, since that is how we'll use the vehicle.

I know without a doubt that the 3G RDX is noticeably and significantly louder on concrete highways than the 2G, because we OWN A 2015 RDX AWD Tech and did the exact same test drive route multiple times with our 2G within a few minutes of the 3G RDX test drive. Both of us couldn't stand how noisy the 2019 was compared to our 2015. It reminded us of Honda CRV highway road noise. The 2015 did have some road noise, but it was acceptable. The 2019 dropped the ball with this.

We test drove a Base and Tech. We did not test drive an Advance, so we didn't compare, but we were suprised that Acura obviously didn't test/design the vehicle for those conditions.

Both the current gen MDX and TLX are luxury vehicle quiet on concrete highways, much better than the 2015 RDX. Since the TLX and MDX were so good, I had high expectations, which were not met.

As I mentioned earlier, I would have both the MDX and TLX in my garage, if not for one thing and one thing only: ZF 9 speed. That completely kills it for me. Everything else about those vehicles I like. Unfortunately lousy tranny is a deal breaker in MDX/TLX and high road noise is a deal breaker in this new RDX.

We are happy with our 2015 RDX. We wish it were a little more updated, had some safety tech, and had rear AC vents. We really wish we bought a 2017/2018 RDX AWD Advance when we had the chance - we would have kept it for a long time. Disappointed.

Last edited by AcuraGuy2016; 08-30-2018 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
This will be used mostly for high speed highway driving, and almost every highway here is concrete. I pay close attention to wind/road noise, since that is how we'll use the vehicle.

I know without a doubt that the 3G RDX is noticeably and significantly louder on concrete highways than the 2G, because we OWN A 2015 RDX AWD Tech and did the exact same test drive route multiple times with our 2G within a few minutes of the 3G RDX test drive. Both of us couldn't stand how noisy the 2019 was compared to our 2015. It reminded us of Honda CRV highway road noise. The 2015 did have some road noise, but it was acceptable. The 2019 dropped the ball with this.

We test drove a Base and Tech. We did not test drive an Advance, so we didn't compare, but we were suprised that Acura obviously didn't test/design the vehicle for those conditions.

Both the current gen MDX and TLX are luxury vehicle quiet on concrete highways, much better than the 2015 RDX. Since the TLX and MDX were so good, I had high expectations, which were not met.

As I mentioned earlier, I would have both the MDX and TLX in my garage, if not for one thing and one thing only: ZF 9 speed. That completely kills it for me. Everything else about those vehicles I like. Unfortunately lousy tranny is a deal breaker in MDX/TLX and high road noise is a deal breaker in this new RDX.

We are happy with our 2015 RDX. We wish it were a little more updated, had some safety tech, and had rear AC vents. We really wish we bought a 2017/2018 RDX AWD Advance when we had the chance - we would have kept it for a long time. Disappointed.
Then why don't you buy a MDX hybrid? It has everything you like plus is probably even quieter with the smaller engine and electric motors and doesn't have the ZF9 but has a 7 speed dual clutch.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL

well if the Advance is quieter than the other RDX models then I am less impressed. It is not horrible, but to me cheapens the experience.
OP drove a tech trim. Not sure what you are driving. Car and drive usually does a very in-depth review and they actually measure cabin noise. Alex on auto also does it although it seems like he dropped that after 2017. Hopefully C&D post a measurement soon.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Well all manner of Hondas and Acuras have historically been dinged for road noise by the testers (car mags, CR, etc). That the new RDX was built to try to minimize some of that is good, but beyond structure, tires are the single biggest thing that you can change out to reduce the racket. I have owned BMWs with run-flat tires which always were noisy and harsh and I changed them out for Michelin "go-flat" tires as soon as possible. Vastly quieter and smoother but with similar performance. They cost a little more, but are worth it.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by acuraada

OP drove a tech trim. Not sure what you are driving. Car and drive usually does a very in-depth review and they actually measure cabin noise. Alex on auto also does it although it seems like he dropped that after 2017. Hopefully C&D post a measurement soon.
Wife has a AWD Advance. I don't care what the official measure says it is, it does not sound like a luxury ride. My TLX ASPEC with ANC disabled is far quieter. I am sure the engine bay sound deadening, V6 and Michelin tires are giving it a substantial edge. Her 16 RDX AWD Advance seemed noticeably quieter. It is her car, she loves it, I will stick with my TLX until a Type-S comes along or until I am swayed by a G70 Sport ofr next gen G80 Sport.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:17 AM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I previously test drove a 2019 RDX FWD Tech and was disappointed, thinking a SH-AWD would improve performance. I was wrong. I recently test drove a 2019 RDX SHAWD Tech and it was more of the same.
What the heck are you comparing to? This car is rated #1 compact luxury SUV above the Merc, BMW, Porsche, Audi, Volvo...#1 . 5.6 seconds 0 to 60 is slow? The G2 RDX was only 6.2 0 to 60. I have no problem spinning the tires in this car. It beats the Merc GLC, the BMW X3, the Volvo x60, the Audi Q3 and Q5 and this list goes on. This car is AMAZING. All the professional reviews to the contrary of your review. This is one of the best cars I have ever owned.

Last edited by jimhanseng; 09-01-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:07 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
Wife has a AWD Advance. I don't care what the official measure says it is, it does not sound like a luxury ride. My TLX ASPEC with ANC disabled is far quieter. I am sure the engine bay sound deadening, V6 and Michelin tires are giving it a substantial edge. Her 16 RDX AWD Advance seemed noticeably quieter. It is her car, she loves it, I will stick with my TLX until a Type-S comes along or until I am swayed by a G70 Sport ofr next gen G80 Sport.
I have to completely agree. My wife also drives a 2016 RDX Advance. We are not in love with our '16 either and won't buy an Acura again, but as I was given a '19 RDX as a loaner yesterday (not sure what package it has as the window sticker in the glove box doesn't have a price - It just says it was built as a loaner). It is nice to be able to try one out for more than a test drive. I posted in another thread as well, but since you mentioned noise I will pass on what my wife said today as we drove about 100 miles on all types of roads today. She said the car was giving her a headache from the noise. I don't hear tire noise so its something else mechanical (possibly the exhaust, or motor). Kind of a drone. The transmission is pretty bad. Very hurky, jerky (equally as bad as the 6-sp in my '16) especially the 2-3 shift. We kept laughing as it has the same jerk every time we take off from a light and it shifts from 2-3. The electronics are pretty good. Certainly better than the old car, but with 6yrs of advancement under their belt, Acura better have stepped it up. AC is good (equal to our 16) but we are unhappy with the decision to not have on/off controls on the center stack vents (they are not on our 16 either). New panoramic S/R is nice. Stereo is great. Seats are comfortable and I like that they finally added the feature to automatically move the seat back when the door is opened.. We like the auto lock feature as you walk away from the car. Like the center adjustable armrest. Don't care for the center consoles high profile (very confining in the drivers seat). I also don't like the large character lines on the sides of the hood. Very distracting. Grill is also not liked by the wife. I don't care for the engines sound compared to the V6. It doesn't sound refined. Certainly way off my friends 2018 BMW 530i with a less powerful 2.0T and 8-sp. That car runs like a dream.

Last edited by chickdr; 09-01-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Madd Dog (09-03-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 04:21 PM
Racer

If you drive the vehicle around town or on asphalt surfaces, I completely understand the glowing reviews.

In many ways (size, proportion, features, tech, sound quality, seat comfort, surface materials, etc) it is an amazing vehicle. While I personally prefer the V6 or performance of an Audi, the performance of this is good enough not to be a deal killer. Unfortunately the noise on concrete highways is so bad, that is completely kills this for me. The MDX and TLX were amazingly quiet and the precious RDX was acceptably quiet, that it extremely disappoints me that they either clearly neglected this or actively chose to cut costs here (while substantially raising the price).

Someone mentioned the MDX Sport Hybrid. We LOVE that vehicle. We test drove an Advance. Unfortunately we need the bench row in the Tech, and I have yet to see one dealer in our market carry a single Tech MDX SH ever. At best I have seen maybe 3 MDX SH ever in my area. That is an amazing vehicle that we like every thing about, but our local deals do not carry them. How would we get one and get a reasonable deal?

Getting a good value is extremely important to us. We refuse to pay MSRP - the thought is painful. Plus Sport Hybrid MDX pricing puts us well within new Audi territory. So how would we get a good deal on a great vehicle that none of our dealers carry.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:53 PM
Racer

Edited Typos

If you drive the vehicle around town or on asphalt surfaces, I completely understand the glowing reviews.

In many ways (size, proportion, features, tech, audio quality, seat comfort, surface materials, etc) it is an amazing vehicle. While I personally prefer the V6 or performance of an Audi, the performance of this is good enough not to be a deal killer. Unfortunately the noise on concrete highways is so bad, that it completely kills this for me. The MDX and TLX were amazingly quiet and the previous 2G RDX was acceptably quiet, that it extremely disappoints me that Acura either clearly neglected this or actively chose to cut costs here (while substantially raising the price).

Someone mentioned the MDX Sport Hybrid. We LOVE that vehicle. We test drove an Advance. Unfortunately we need the bench row in the Tech, and I have yet to see one dealer in our market ever carry a single Tech MDX SH-SHAWD. At best I have seen maybe 3 MDX SH-SHAWD Advance in my area since the vehicle was introduced several years ago. That is an amazing vehicle that we like every thing about, but our local dealers do not carry them. How would we get one and get a reasonable deal?

Getting a good value is extremely important to us. We refuse to pay MSRP - the thought is painful. Plus Sport Hybrid MDX pricing puts us well within new Audi territory. So how would we get a good deal on a great vehicle that none of our dealers carry in inventory.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:27 PM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Some facts here... the 2019 RDX faster and more responsive in every way over the RDX g2. The 2019 has much more torque than the g2, it even has more torque than the MDX and the toque starts at 1600 rpm. Add to that you are going from a 6 speed transmission to a 10 speed with much lower first gear. There is no question the performance is considerably better. Noise. ALL 2019 RDX models come with extra noise dampening AND noise dampening windshields. The Advanced has side window dampening as well. Engine and cabin noise while in “Comfort” mode is BEST in class with additional noise canceling via the audio system. However, if you switch to Sport or Sport + BY DESIGN the engine noise is not only louder but they add engine sound in the audio to make the car sound more sporty. In the advance, it also significantly stiffens the ride. Again this is by design to let the owner have a quiet smooth ride when they want it or a tight, hard and noisy ride when they want to drive hard like a sports car. The damn car is amazing and and nothing like the criticisms posted on this thread.
catbert430 (09-02-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 08:39 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by jimhanseng
Some facts here... the 2019 RDX faster and more responsive in every way over the RDX g2. The 2019 has much more torque than the g2, it even has more torque than the MDX and the toque starts at 1600 rpm. Add to that you are going from a 6 speed transmission to a 10 speed with much lower first gear. There is no question the performance is considerably better. Noise. ALL 2019 RDX models come with extra noise dampening AND noise dampening windshields. The Advanced has side window dampening as well. Engine and cabin noise while in “Comfort” mode is BEST in class with additional noise canceling via the audio system. However, if you switch to Sport or Sport + BY DESIGN the engine noise is not only louder but they add engine sound in the audio to make the car sound more sporty. In the advance, it also significantly stiffens the ride. Again this is by design to let the owner have a quiet smooth ride when they want it or a tight, hard and noisy ride when they want to drive hard like a sports car. The damn car is amazing and and nothing like the criticisms posted on this thread.
You tell 'em Jim. Let them go buy their Audi's and leave us alone in our horrible, miserable excuse for cars!
The following 3 users liked this post by oblio98:
GaHokie (09-01-2018), securityguy (09-04-2018), Stew4HD (09-05-2018)

Quick Reply: Test Drove SH-AWD Tech - VERY DISAPPOINTED