Test Drove SH-AWD Advance - VERY IMPRESSED

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 11:21 PM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
Talking Test Drove SH-AWD Advance - VERY IMPRESSED

So freaking impressed, I put a deposit down and now awaiting September build date.
The following 3 users liked this post by birdonamission:
Curious3GTL (09-04-2018), oblio98 (09-04-2018), Stew4HD (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 12:19 AM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
Lol @ this thread title

Congratulations, hope that you’ll love it as much as most of us do
The following users liked this post:
birdonamission (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 06:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by birdonamission
So freaking impressed, I put a deposit down and now awaiting September build date.
I totally understand. When I was shopping I had driven 4-5 other vehicles before the RDX. Within a few blocks on the test drive the RDX was in the top 3, a mile later it was #1 and by the time I got back to the dealership it was the only one on the list.

What did you order?
Old 09-04-2018, 07:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Congrats! What color combo did you choose?
Old 09-04-2018, 07:12 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
I totally understand. When I was shopping I had driven 4-5 other vehicles before the RDX. Within a few blocks on the test drive the RDX was in the top 3, a mile later it was #1 and by the time I got back to the dealership it was the only one on the list.

What did you order?
I ordered a Fathom Blue Pearl Advance SH-AWD with Graystone interior (only comes with that interior, which looks great to me). Yeah, the test drive was awesome! Not surprised at all about your experience.

Now, I can't wait to hear from the dealership that they got the actual build date. That would make my day. lol
Old 09-04-2018, 07:17 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Congrats! What color combo did you choose?
Thanks! Like I mentioned below, Fathom Blue Pearl with Graystone. Next thing to work with them on are accessories...
Old 09-04-2018, 07:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Thanks! Like I mentioned below, Fathom Blue Pearl with Graystone. Next thing to work with them on are accessories...
I look forward to seeing pics! It's great to see such enthusiasm too!

I have the mats and splash guards so far. Not many others I am really needing.. would "like" to have remote start but am okay without, for now.

Which ones are you looking at getting?
Old 09-04-2018, 07:37 AM
Pro

I have the mats and splash guards so far. Not many others I am really needing.. would "like" to have remote start but am okay without, for now.

Yeah, I'm pretty up there on the enthusiasm meter, evidenced, it would seem, by my big laundry list of accessories (ha ha!):

Door Edge Guards
Door Handle Film
Rear Bumper Applique
Remote Engine Start System
Splash Guard Set
Welcome Light
Wheel Locks
All-Season Floor Mats
Cargo Cover
Cargo Net
Cargo Protector
Cargo Tray
Old 09-04-2018, 07:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Hopefully the dealer will cut you a deal on installation of all of that, the ones that require fairly extensive installation, that is. I installed the splash guards myself. Not hard just have to really pay attention to the instructions and may need to remove the rear wheels for better access, like I ended up doing.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:32 AM
Pro

Hopefully the dealer will cut you a deal on installation of all of that, the ones that require fairly extensive installation, that is. I installed the splash guards myself. Not hard just have to really pay attention to the instructions and may need to remove the rear wheels for better access, like I ended up doing.
Agree that some of the accessories are not just "very," but extremely, involved (or complicated). I'm a little reticent in the DIY department, so other than the no brainer stuff like putting down the mats...lol...I will let them install.

I do get 15% off accessorties, courtesy of the Costco Auto Program, plus an additional 50% off accessory coupon for completing a Costco customer experience survey within 30 days of purchase, which is pretty sweet.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:54 AM
Suzuka Master

I had thought about doing the DIY for the lighted rockers and the auto-start. The auto-start required taking nearly all of the rear the interior pieces out and then requiring dealer programming.. too many things to go wrong and/or have rattles afterwards. I am still on the fence about having auto-start installed.. a want vs. must have for me.

I am excited for you to take delivery!
Old 09-04-2018, 12:09 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Advance don't come with remote engine starter?
Old 09-04-2018, 12:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Yotrek
Advance don't come with remote engine starter?
Nope, it's an accessory add-on for the US edition
Old 09-04-2018, 12:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Congrats! Hope you have many happy miles!
Old 09-04-2018, 12:43 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

You'll get a free trial of the AcuraLink app that will allow you to start your vehicle from your phone (and do more than just that) when you purchase your RDX. Personally, I like that better than the dealer installed remote start.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Tom2
You'll get a free trial of the AcuraLink app that will allow you to start your vehicle from your phone (and do more than just that) when you purchase your RDX. Personally, I like that better than the dealer installed remote start.
Well damn, I was under the impression that I needed the remote start unit installed in order to remote start it! Learned something new! I just used the app to start it,.. I mean, I guess it started.. I am at my desk ..
Old 09-04-2018, 05:22 PM
Pro

I know about the AcuraLink option to do the remote start with the phone app and it's a good option. I've just gotten used to the fob and it works quite well with my '17 Advance. Basically a preference thing.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:25 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Congrats! Hope you have many happy miles!
I'm pretty sure I will - thanks!
Old 09-04-2018, 05:33 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
I know about the AcuraLink option to do the remote start with the phone app and it's a good option. I've just gotten used to the fob and it works quite well with my '17 Advance. Basically a preference thing.
I went for the remote start because the App is hit or miss, and slow. Also, the car was so weird at times to turn off and lock that I was always unsure as I left if it was REALLY REALLY off and locked (Yes, I know if it beeps it's locked), but walking away, looking at my key fob and seeing the green LED on is reassuring that the car is locked. I was used to having that on my 17 RDX Advance, so I just went for it and let the dealer do it for my A-Spec. Now I'm happy.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:00 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by oblio98
I went for the remote start because the App is hit or miss, and slow. .
Hit or miss? It tells you if the engine is running on the app. I don't actually own an RDX (it's my mother's car), but I haven't seen any issue with the engine not starting with the app. As far as slow, it takes about 10 seconds for the engine to start after you press the button on the app.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tom2:
K-redd (09-09-2018), securityguy (09-06-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 02:22 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Hit or miss? It tells you if the engine is running on the app. I don't actually own an RDX (it's my mother's car), but I haven't seen any issue with the engine not starting with the app. As far as slow, it takes about 10 seconds for the engine to start after you press the button on the app.
Not for me. It's very slow, it has difficulty connecting and confirming. I am using the iPhone app, so maybe yours is different, but frankly, I hate it. I haven't touched that app since I first got the car and tried it. In fact, I was at the dealer afterward and told the salesman how bad it was and he wanted to see for himself. He agreed.

It may be better now a month and a half later but for me, I'll take the fob. You can use the app.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Not for me. It's very slow, it has difficulty connecting and confirming...
No speed issues for me (Android) - as responsive as my Cadillac. Not instantaneous but more than adequate.

...I'll take the fob. You can use the app.
Biggest advantage, for me, of the app versus the fob is you don't have to have line of sight to use the app. Nice when you're in the clubhouse, restaurant, etc. and want to heat/cool the car. Had both versions on my Cadillac and I definitely used the app more than the fob.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:56 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

It could just be my crappy wireless service as well. I guess it all comes down to what you're used to.

Still, I love the freaking car!!
Old 09-05-2018, 04:04 PM
Burning Brakes

...Still, I love the freaking car!!
My brother who is a BIG BMW fan rode in mine yesterday. His only comment was "I see why you like this so much.".

Old 09-06-2018, 01:24 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
It could just be my crappy wireless service as well. I guess it all comes down to what you're used to.

Still, I love the freaking car!!
f

The app works for me in starting the car. Check that you have the current version of the app, since ait did work even with a weak connection.

It still doesn't take a destination, but everything else works for me. Try deleting and redownloading it.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
Nope, it's an accessory add-on for the US edition
The Advance DOES come standard with Remote Start. You access it from the AcuraLink App on your phone...they did not put a button on the fob for some strange reason but it is there and works from anywhere in the world so unlimited distance which is awesome! Once you have your AcuraLink account set-up and use the in-car button to speak with them directly, you then download the app and create your account. You then get the full menu of Fuel Level, Door Lock/Unlock and Door Status, Miles to Empty, Location of the vehicle on a map, Engine Start/Stop (Remote Start), Car Finder (Lights & Horn) and Tire Pressure Status on all 4 wheels.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Not for me. It's very slow, it has difficulty connecting and confirming. I am using the iPhone app, so maybe yours is different, but frankly, I hate it. I haven't touched that app since I first got the car and tried it. In fact, I was at the dealer afterward and told the salesman how bad it was and he wanted to see for himself. He agreed.

It may be better now a month and a half later but for me, I'll take the fob. You can use the app.
My app woks flawless and it sounds like everyone else's does as well. You have another issue then. You may want to uninstall the app, reinstall it and then login. It works exactly as designed and zero issues. If you still have issues, see your dealer as you may have an issue with the communications module that would be resolved under warranty. I have an iPhone too!
Old 09-06-2018, 09:05 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by securityguy
The Advance DOES come standard with Remote Start. You access it from the AcuraLink App on your phone...they did not put a button on the fob for some strange reason but it is there and works from anywhere in the world so unlimited distance which is awesome! Once you have your AcuraLink account set-up and use the in-car button to speak with them directly, you then download the app and create your account. You then get the full menu of Fuel Level, Door Lock/Unlock and Door Status, Miles to Empty, Location of the vehicle on a map, Engine Start/Stop (Remote Start), Car Finder (Lights & Horn) and Tire Pressure Status on all 4 wheels.
Depends on how you define "come standard."

1. Does Remote Engine Start come standard, operated by the fob? No -- it's a $399 accessory + installation.

2. Does Remote Engine Start come standard, operated by the AcuraLink app? No -- after the free 6-month trial, the AcuraLink subscription (that includes Remote Engine Start in the app) will cost $110 a year.

3. Will the car have Remote Engine Start if you don't buy the $399 accessory (with the fob) and you don't renew the AcuraLink subcription (with Remote Engine Start in the app)? No.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
My brother who is a BIG BMW fan rode in mine yesterday. His only comment was "I see why you like this so much.".
lol. Are you sure he didn’t mean “I see why YOU like this so much”?

its tough to win over bmw fanboys (I’ve owned one)
Old 09-06-2018, 09:40 AM
Burning Brakes

OK...did a bit of research on the topic and this is what I found for those interested.

So the fob kit and the labor are about $699 at my local dealer. I did a search on the web and found several Acura dealer's parts departments willing to sell the kit for between $275-$300. My local parts dept. stated they will sell it to me for $300. I just obtained the installation instructions and it will take 2-3 hours to do and can be done by anyone not afraid to work on their car and drink a few beers while doing it. I am an EE and have been taking cars apart for 30+ years and doing electrical work so no biggie for me. It will then require less than 30-minutes of shop time to program it so it all works. So for basically $350, you can get two fobs, the interface, install it yourself and get it programmed
Old 09-06-2018, 09:44 AM
Burning Brakes

acura calls that acuralink, not remote start. It is also available across all trims, not just advance. The Remote start in reference is an accessory in the US, comes with different FOB. Totally different thing.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by acuraada

acura calls that acuralink, not remote start. It is also available across all trims, not just advance. The Remote start in reference is an accessory in the US, comes with different FOB. Totally different thing.

Are you trying to be an *** or just your way of communicating? Getting into the weeds here on definitions. I fully comprehend the difference between the app and the fobs. If you are willing to pay the app cost after 6-months, it offers more than just "remote start". I also understand that it is available across all trims...I just happen to have an Advance and singled that out.

For those interested, I have attached the PDF of the installation procedure. Looks involved but not very hard to do...just takes a bit of time. Enjoy the read.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AcuraRDX_RemoteStart.pdf (503.9 KB, 572 views)
Old 09-06-2018, 10:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Are you trying to be an *** or just your way of communicating? Getting into the weeds here on definitions. I fully comprehend the difference between the app and the fobs. If you are willing to pay the app cost after 6-months, it offers more than just "remote start". I also understand that it is available across all trims...I just happen to have an Advance and singled that out.

For those interested, I have attached the PDF of the installation procedure. Looks involved but not very hard to do...just takes a bit of time. Enjoy the read.
Not trying to be a jerk here. We all want to help and provide accurate information. I am straight to the point, you seemed confused and stating different information. Your own statement “they did not put a button on the fob for some strange reason but it is there and works from anywhere in the world so unlimited distance which is awesome!”

You seemed confused and i am merely trying to point out the reason for the “strange reason”. No intention to embarrass but if you took it that way then I apologize
securityguy (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 10:40 AM
Burning Brakes

I see that you did further research on your last post. Seems like our posts just cross paths
Old 09-08-2018, 06:28 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How are the headlights at night?
Old 09-08-2018, 06:52 PM
Burning Brakes

I, personally, think they are fantastic and they also received the highest rating from IIHS for range and light distribution of the LEDs.
chkelly (09-09-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 09:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chkelly
Better than the HIDs on my '14 Cadillac.
chkelly (09-09-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 09:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Good Move!

I've had mine for 3.5 weeks now, & LOVE it! Lunar Silver & Graystone.

A blast to drive on a twisty mountain road (Hwy 55 in Idaho - Eagle to McCall).

Averaged 29 MPG round trip including around town in McCall & touring state park.

Download the pdf manual to shorten the learning curve.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:25 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
The low beams are fantastic. Not as big of a step change that HIDs were over halogens, but a good bit better than HIDs. The auto high beams I’m still getting used to as it will turn them on in a neighborhood with street lights where I wouldn’t typically run them. Then, there will be someone waiting to turn at a cross street and it won’t “see” them to turn them off. My other vehicle with auto high beams is a lot more selective as to when they are used.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Here's a frame grab from my dash cam in an area with no street lights and no commercial lighting - low beam. Fogs were on as I wanted to see their effect - they account for the brighter areas in the lower right and left close to the vehicle. (Keep in mind the dash cam is centered behind the RVM and sits a bit higher than the driver's eye level.)

Last edited by MI-RDX; 09-09-2018 at 06:39 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by MI-RDX:
chkelly (09-09-2018), GW208 (09-09-2018), pgeorg (09-09-2018), securityguy (09-09-2018)

Quick Reply: Test Drove SH-AWD Advance - VERY IMPRESSED