Test Drive Thoughts - SH-AWD Tech

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 06:51 PM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Test Drive Thoughts - SH-AWD Tech

Got to briefly check out a new RDX SH-AWD Tech yesterday at my local dealer. The salesman apologized upfront that they had to shorten their test drive route and each customer's time with the vehicle as the interest was so high. Was told they had 17 test drives reserved via their website, plus many more phone reservations. There were several groups of customers coming and going in RDXs.

I didn't get nearly enough time to form any solid conclusions, but overall, I was pretty impressed. I'll first point out the few negative/quirky things I noticed. First, the brakes are strange and seem way underpowered at first. Compared to my Accord, it seemed to take forever to come to a stop. I read someone else mentioning this and Acura stating it was intentional. I'm sure one would adapt after a short time behind the wheel. Next was the transmission/electronic gear selector. When I engaged Drive, I noticed a jolt. I think this could have been because the RDX brakes take more pressure on the pedal than I'm used to and they weren't fully engaged. I also noticed the infotainment screen brightness changing quite at random. Maybe the ambient light sensor doing it's thing, but annoying. The True-Touch trackpad interface is weird at first, and the click when selecting an item is not the best-feeling motion. I'm sure I'd get used to it quickly, though.

Now for the good. I really like the styling on the exterior and interior. About the only things I don't care for ar the rather plain rear-end and the overly large drive mode selector. The steering is really good. I noticed it firming up as soon as I started accelerating on the entrance ramp. At low speeds, it's finger-touch light and precise, but on the highway it feels taught and dead on. Turning circle seems to be fairly tight, as well. The overall visibility was great and I didn't notice any real blind spots. The seats were very comfortable and the interior fit and finish was excellent. I was expecting to be let down by the Turbo-4, but it felt plenty powerful and had no trouble accelerating into traffic; I was going over 80 without realizing it! The 10AT shifted smoothly and seemed to find the right gear the first time. On the interstate at 70-75, the ride was smooth and quiet, not a lot of wind/road noise at all. Build quality and fit/finish is very good, save for the abnormally wide gap between the glove box and lower dash. The seats (perforated Milano leather) were very supportive and comfortable; had no trouble finding a good position. I did get to very briefly test the stereo and found the 12-speaker ELS system to be just fine. Noticeable better than the "premium audio system" in my Accord.

I didn't get to check out the cargo area or the back seat, so I can't really comment on those areas. But overall, I could definitely see myself buying an RDX equipped exactly like this one, White Diamond Pearl/Parchment, SH-AWD Tech, but not until there are some deals to be had. Truth be told, I'll probably end up in a Ridgeline before then since I'm pretty convinced it would be the better all-around vehicle for my needs. Anyone shopping in this class should definitely go check out an RDX. I think this will continue to be Acura's best-seller by a large margin. Now, if they can put the same effort into the new versions of the rest of their lineup!

Last edited by TNTA2; 06-03-2018 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:20 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
FWIW, my wife normally drives her Accord. When she drives my BMW, she finds it unusual that she has to press so hard.

Driving them both, the BMW brakes are far, far superior to the Accord’s, which get hot fast, and don’t stop as short when one puts his mind to it. Yes, they grab earlier. Big deal.