AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RDX (2019+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/)
-   -   Test drive left me exhausted (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/test-drive-left-me-exhausted-976731/)

alisonleah 01-26-2019 06:30 PM

Test drive left me exhausted

Test drove a 2019 RDX Advance with SHAWD. First 10 minutes were exhilarating as I zoomed through curves with the pedal down and the stereo blasting. But after just 15 minutes I started to feel every bump and my arms were getting tired. I found myself wanting to just sit back and drive with 3 fingers like I do in the Sienna minivan. I did try the RDX in the different driving modes but the majority of the drive was in "Sport". After the RDX drive I drove a Lexus RX350 and I greatly preferred it's ride. But the RX350's acceleration, visibility, and cargo space were abysmal. Not to mention it was just God-awful ugly.

My question is, will the RDX's ride soften up over time? Are there mods I could do to make the ride as soft (or nearly as soft) as the Lexus? Does the 2wd RDX have a softer ride?

MI-RDX 01-26-2019 06:50 PM

Comfort mode will increase the steering assist, and in the Advance trim soften the suspension a bit as well. Also, many dealers don't have the tire pressure set correctly, if that's the case the ride will be harsher.

Madd Dog 01-26-2019 06:53 PM

The RDX is the Sports Sedan of the SUVs, the Lexus is the Buick.

FWIW, I just finished 1,000 miles in back-to-back days driving from NY to FL. The ride was comfortable enough for me, but it is not isolated.

I wonder if you can get both for anywhere near the price.

Burger Steak & Eggs 01-26-2019 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by alisonleah (Post 16372092)
Not to mention it was just God-awful ugly.

I wanted a cushy SUV too, but can't get past the RX front end either. I've often wondered what Lexus stylists were thinking when they cranked out that grill.

Midnight Mystery 01-26-2019 07:01 PM

Sure an MDX isn't atleast worth a look? Just sayin'...

iforyou 01-26-2019 07:15 PM

I would suggest using comfort mode as that would soften the dampers the most along with the most steering assist. Also if possible, check the tire pressure as manufacturers usually overinflate the tires.

Having said that if you prefer the ride and steering in a RX or sienna, I'm not sure if the 2019 Rdx will suit you. May be you should try the 2018 one.

alisonleah 01-26-2019 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery (Post 16372105)
Sure an MDX isn't atleast worth a look? Just sayin'...

Funny you should say that...

I did drive the MDX and liked the ride much better. Only thing was, it's basically the size of my current minivan and the whole point of a new car was to downsize.

ross7777 01-26-2019 07:20 PM

I’m sure the RX350 has 65 series tires vs the 55 series on the RDX. You’ll feel more of the road/bumps with the thinner tires on the RDX.

MTD 01-26-2019 08:19 PM

Comparing it to a Sienna van lol.

ross7777 01-26-2019 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Burger Steak & Eggs (Post 16372102)
I wanted a cushy SUV too, but can't get past the RX front end either. I've often wondered what Lexus stylists were thinking when they cranked out that grill.

It seems to be love/hate thing with that design but they sure sell a ton of them.

anoop 01-26-2019 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by alisonleah (Post 16372112)
Funny you should say that...

I did drive the MDX and liked the ride much better. Only thing was, it's basically the size of my current minivan and the whole point of a new car was to downsize.

Unfortunately, comfort and size (and even luxury) go hand in hand. The RX slots between the RDX and the MDX.
Lexus RX 192.5″ L x 74.6″ W x 67.7″ H
Acura MDX 196.2″ L x 77.8″ W x 67.4″ H
Acura RDX 186.8″ L x 74.8″ W x 65.7″ H

I don't like the interior design of the MDX, especially the steering wheel.

dopeboy1 01-26-2019 10:37 PM

Maybe if you hit the gym a few times a week you would have more stamina when driving.

zroger73 01-27-2019 09:12 AM

Test drove a 2019 RDX Advance with SHAWD. First 10 minutes were exhilarating as I zoomed through curves with the pedal down and the stereo blasting. But after just 15 minutes I started to feel every bump and my arms were getting tired. I found myself wanting to just sit back and drive with 3 fingers like I do in the Sienna minivan. I did try the RDX in the different driving modes but the majority of the drive was in "Sport". After the RDX drive I drove a Lexus RX350 and I greatly preferred it's ride. But the RX350's acceleration, visibility, and cargo space were abysmal. Not to mention it was just God-awful ugly.

My question is, will the RDX's ride soften up over time? Are there mods I could do to make the ride as soft (or nearly as soft) as the Lexus? Does the 2wd RDX have a softer ride?

I saw your other post on the Ridgeline Owner's Club forum.

The RDX's ride is what it is. The dampers ("shock absorbers") are just one component of a system of many that determines ride quality. The ride will eventually soften in a couple hundred thousand miles when the dampers are worn to the point they no longer can control suspension travel, but handling will suffer.

Originally Posted by Madd Dog (Post 16372100)
FWIW, I just finished 1,000 miles in back-to-back days driving from NY to FL. The ride was comfortable enough for me, but it is not isolated.

I took a 1,000-mile trip in my RDX as well. The ride didn't bother me, but the constant, minor steering corrections required when driving in a straight line for long distances was tiring. I tried using LKAS, but it interferes more than it helps just like on my other Hondas as it weaves from side-to-side like a drunk driver.

Originally Posted by dopeboy1 (Post 16372183)
Maybe if you hit the gym a few times a week you would have more stamina when driving.

Rude, unnecessary, unhelpful, and off-topic post. Hopefully, a mod will remove your it and issue you a warning.

GTF 01-27-2019 09:36 AM

I think IFORYOU was on the money....tires not adjusted from transport. Big miss for most dealers, and such an easy fix.
My test drive had pressures ranging from 36 lbs to 46 lbs.....waited for them to adjust. Manufacturers spend $$$$ to engineer suspensions, and the morons at dealers to lazy to check pressure.
My neighbor took delivery of new RX, had pressure off by up to 13 lbs. Morons.

dopeboy1 01-27-2019 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by zroger73 (Post 16372252)

Rude, unnecessary, unhelpful, and off-topic post. Hopefully, a mod will remove your it and issue you a warning.

Oh my bad I didn't realize being exhausted after driving for 15 minutes was normal.
Try to remember this is the internet and its best not to get offended by every little comment you don't like.

gtssenior 01-27-2019 11:51 AM

Did you drive with the Lane Keeping Assist on or off? If you are driving on a road with extraneous markings or through old construction zones the LKAS will tend to pull a little from side to side trying to stay between what it thinks are lane lines. The pull is nothing that you can't easily steer through, but it may feel uncomfortable if you are on long stretches of road like this. If you take another test drive, don't turn this feature on to see if it drives more even on roads with extraneous markings.

Midnight Mystery 01-27-2019 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by dopeboy1 (Post 16372277)
Oh my bad I didn't realize being exhausted after driving for 15 minutes was normal.
Try to remember this is the internet and its best not to get offended by every little comment you don't like.

:scratch: Isn't subtle joking part of our forum? Why do we have the emojis and hide text option, then?

grandicornis 01-27-2019 01:56 PM

I think the RDX is designed as a more sporty SUV so by it's very nature the ride will be a bit harder. Two things I would look at to improve the ride would be to check the tire pressure as mentioned above. I dropped about 3 PSI from what the dealer had in it and the ride seems better but mostly I notice much less road noise. The more important factor would be how well the seat was adjusted for YOU. Too often on a test drive we just make sure we can reach the pedals and adjust the rear view mirrors and off we go. If you drive another one, really take the time to adjust the seat first and get comfy.

EFR 01-27-2019 02:26 PM

To each his/her own of course, but I could love the ride any more than I do. It seems a perfect balance between comfort and sport. SUV's are generaly known for sometimes ponderous handling ( I also own a LR LR3---the king of giant marshmallows on wheels). Maybe an acquired thing for some, but I love the ride/handling. (2019 A-Spec RDX)

iforyou 01-27-2019 03:20 PM

Yea Mine was set to like 46psi when I picked it up. I think it's supposed to be 32-35psi or something like that.

Midnight Mystery 01-27-2019 03:22 PM

Believe me, that will make a huge difference>>>

kboo74656 01-27-2019 04:28 PM

My tire pressure was spot on when I test drove my A-Spec and on delivery day. I took the time to adjust everything to my liking before driving off on the test drive. She handles great and I continue to enjoy every moment on the road espicially passing others when necessary!

trekkie604 01-27-2019 07:10 PM

sienna van ...lol if I wanted to drive a rolling couch I'd just borrow my parent's RX350... no thanks.

cbstsx09 01-29-2019 04:09 PM

My Advance running 34 psi in comfort mode and with Lane Keep assist and cruise control I can almost take a nap.

spinedoc777 01-29-2019 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by zroger73 (Post 16372252)
I took a 1,000-mile trip in my RDX as well. The ride didn't bother me, but the constant, minor steering corrections required when driving in a straight line for long distances was tiring. I tried using LKAS, but it interferes more than it helps just like on my other Hondas as it weaves from side-to-side like a drunk driver.

That's my finding the handling is imprecise and requires constant attention.