Talk me out of trading my 19 RDX Advance for a 2020 CR-V Hybrid Touring

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2020, 10:43 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Talk me out of trading my 19 RDX Advance for a 2020 CR-V Hybrid Touring

After 22,500 miles in ~20 months, I am very happy with the RDX, but somewhat disappointed with the fuel mileage, although I seem to be doing somewhat better than many here.

I am disappointed with the dealer who definitely doesn't not seem "upscale" and is 45 minutes away. Honda dealer is much closer.

I would loose some of the premium features of the RDX, as well as the amazing acceleration and handling, which I rarely use.

Let's discuss this.
Appreciate all thoughts.

Old 09-20-2020, 10:57 AM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
Lower horsepower: CR-V Touring 190 hp, Advance 272 hp
Guaranteed it's a worse sound system.
Interior looks lower quality in materials.
Probably worse handling and performance.
Exterior looks much more generic.

CR-V Touring has better mpg, but it's not a big difference, 28 mpg vs 23 mpg.
Old 09-20-2020, 11:04 AM
Banned

Also, your signature says you purchased a 2020 CR-V Touring. If you own both currently and are thinking of getting a second Touring, you should already know if you prefer it to your Advance. Maybe you just prefer that car. However, if the only reason you're making the switch is for fuel economy, that's a terrible decision.
Old 09-20-2020, 11:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,441 Likes on 1,888 Posts
RAV4 Prime might be a more compelling replacement, especially if your state or utility company provides tax credits and rebates for buying a PHEV. The CRV Hybrid even falls behind the regular RAV4 Hybrid in terms of fuel economy.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 202 Posts
So the RDX is rated at 23mpg combined and the CR-V Hybrid is rated at 38mpg (a whopping 65% better economy) and you drive about 1,100/mo so that would work out to about 20 gallons less gas per month that you'd consume. Based on posted gas prices in Arizona that's about a $65 savings (or so)/month - is saving $700-800 annually worth it along with the hit you take on trade-in and on buying a new car?

FWIW, the CR-V Hybrid seems pretty awesome. As someone who wants to be environmentally mindful the RDX's fuel economy gnaws at me - I increasingly don't think I'll keep it that long though I don't drive a lot with the lockdown still largely going on.
The following users liked this post:
Entrepid (09-20-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 12:18 PM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
RAV4 Prime might be a more compelling replacement, especially if your state or utility company provides tax credits and rebates for buying a PHEV. The CRV Hybrid even falls behind the regular RAV4 Hybrid in terms of fuel economy.
IMO, the quality issues with the Rav4 are reason enough to avoid it. Plus they're in short supply and dealers are taking advantage by pricing at/above MSRP and requiring add-ons. I advise anyone wanting a PHEV to wait 18-24 months when there will be a ton of options.

For the OP: This decision really depends on how much you enjoy driving. SUVs like the CRV and Rav4 hybrid appeal most to people who view car ownership as an expense they'd like to minimize. There's nothing enjoyable about the car other than frugality. The RDX is obviously targeting people who are more emotionally attached to the driving and ownership experience.

Last edited by jmhumr; 09-20-2020 at 12:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jmhumr:
amcobra (09-20-2020), thetrev68 (03-29-2021)
Old 09-20-2020, 12:42 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
Seems like it would cost a lot of money (depreciation hit) to save a few bucks, even if it were a peer-to-peer swap.

Which I don’t think it is, but that is just my opinion. Gas is pretty cheap now, and I think will remain so for the foreseeable future.
Old 09-20-2020, 01:27 PM
RDX ILX TSX

Received 151 Likes on 86 Posts
JB:
I would certainly not attempt to make the decision for you, but your point about your dealer is relevant. From your comment, it appears it is pretty important to you. I get it; my dealer needs to make me the most important person in the room and provide a great guest experience. We spend between 40-50K on a luxury vehicle - we deserve treatment that exceeds this price. If not, buh-bye.

Honda's are great automobiles as well, but the bottom line is - what makes you happy? Convenience from a closer dealer? Better customer service? More time?

In the grand scheme of things it's just a car. Life is short my friend; make these days count right? I turned 60 this year, and what I've learned is that after surviving all these years making mistakes, perhaps not making the right decisions that would have made me happier, turning this age flipped a switch in me and I NOW all my choices have to do with making me a happier man. I can afford to now. Lessons learned.
Let the youth take over!
The following 2 users liked this post by Vince D:
ELIN (03-27-2021), tecwerks (04-13-2021)
Old 09-20-2020, 03:21 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
I take my RDX to my Honda dealer for all regular maintenance.
The following 2 users liked this post by DarkNinja75:
Carbon Pearl (09-22-2020), Mike8194 (03-28-2021)
Old 09-20-2020, 03:33 PM
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts
You're gonna take a massive depreciation hit trading for a lower class boring CRV

Take your RDX to Honda or local mechanic if Acura is too far.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:23 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkNinja75
I take my RDX to my Honda dealer for all regular maintenance.
I was going to suggest this. "Blah blah blah, all new platform, it's more than just a nice Honda, wah wah wah."

No it's not. It's a fuggen Honda with a few nicer interior bits. Get over it. If they put the 2.0T in the CR-V, I would absolutely dump this piece of shit and be more forgiving with how awful the interior is put together.

That being said, the last time I went to Honda to pick up a part, I saw a tech who, for lack of a better word, looked like a straight up junkie. The female cashier was also incredibly abrasive despite the fact that I literally was just paying for a part and leaving, not asking a single question, hell, I don't think I even said anything outside of "Hello" and "Thank you". Thank God I do all my own work on my vehicles. Back when I used to wrench on cars, it was quite a different experience even for the parts department dealing with BMW and Mercedes vs. most other mainstream brands. Sure, you got dirty looks from sales people as your dirty, grease monkey looking ass walked thru the showroom, but once you got back to the parts department, it was much nicer and the attitude was a lot friendlier and classier. From memory, the next best was Toyota. Of course, this is completely my own experience and mine alone. If I had to pick between the two, I'd opt for the longer drive so long as the service wasn't shady.

Last edited by leomio85; 09-20-2020 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:28 PM
Banned

This is the first thread ever that has united the entire forum.
ESHBG (09-22-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ludepower
You're gonna take a massive depreciation hit trading for a lower class boring CRV
Hey hey hey,

Don't knock the CR-V! It's a fantastic vehicle that you'll think about while, for some reason, taking a bath fully clothed. Probably because you just got home swerving all over the road from being blackout drunk. At least, that's what I'm gathering from that commercial.

Seriously though, yes, it uses a lot of cheaper looking/feeling hard plastics, but it has almost all the same features you would actually use in an RDX. As I've said before, if they offered the 2.0T in the CR-V, and having the foresight of my ownership with the '20 RDX, I would never ever consider buying the RDX over a 2.0T CR-V. I'd save a good deal of money in the process and the Acura badge means less than nothing over Honda. In fact, to me, it's honestly a detractor ...
Old 09-20-2020, 04:45 PM
Racer

You're a salty Acura owner. Be like the OP and trade down to the crv.

You lose SH-AWD, awesome sound system, higher quality interior and powerful 2.0t engine.

Entrepid (09-20-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 06:05 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
JB, I followed your lead and traded in a two-year-old ’18 CR-V Touring AWD for a ’20 RDX Advance SH-AWD. While there was a lot to like about the Honda, and the dealer was right around the corner, I had too many problems with CarPlay and ultimately a fairly mundane sound system marketed as premium. The RDX is still a compromise, with the slightly lower gas mileage (22 vs 28, so far) and very noticeable transmission shifts after coming from a CVT. The Acura dealer is also 45 minutes away. I haven’t been back for service yet, so I can’t comment on whether it’s upscale. But it couldn’t be much worse than the Honda service people who always seemed like you were interrupting their nap when I came in. I would be doing 1,000 miles a month without the lockdown, with 4-6 1,000 mile plus trips thrown in, and I’d much rather do that in the RDX. If going to a hybrid is important to you, then go for it. You’ve had/have both, so there’s not a lot you don’t know.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:06 PM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
My wife drives a 2019 Insight, which uses the same drivetrain technology as the CR-V hybrid. Perhaps I can provide some insight into living with a Honda hybrid.

1. EPA rated the Insight's fuel economy at 55 mpg on the highway, but I find it only achievable if you try to hypermile. My wife drives at normal highway speed of 75-80 mph, resulting in the lower 40s for the fuel economy.
2. The transmission functions like a CVT. Under medium and high loads the engine will drone. I'm always reminded how little drama there is for the RDX to accelerate.
3. There is noticeable vibration from the engine, perhaps CR-V is better in this regard.

In my opinion, there is more lost more than to be gained by trading your RDX for a CR-V, considering your yearly mileage. If you really want to replace the RDX with something new, perhaps the Tesla model Y would be a better choice if you can put up with the quirks?
Old 09-20-2020, 09:02 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Starseer
My wife drives a 2019 Insight, which uses the same drivetrain technology as the CR-V hybrid. Perhaps I can provide some insight into living with a Honda hybrid.

1. EPA rated the Insight's fuel economy at 55 mpg on the highway, but I find it only achievable if you try to hypermile. My wife drives at normal highway speed of 75-80 mph, resulting in the lower 40s for the fuel economy.
2. The transmission functions like a CVT. Under medium and high loads the engine will drone. I'm always reminded how little drama there is for the RDX to accelerate.
3. There is noticeable vibration from the engine, perhaps CR-V is better in this regard.

In my opinion, there is more lost more than to be gained by trading your RDX for a CR-V, considering your yearly mileage. If you really want to replace the RDX with something new, perhaps the Tesla model Y would be a better choice if you can put up with the quirks?
^^This. I came from a 2015 CR-V Touring, which I called the CR-Vibrator. Granted, it was the previous generation, but I couldn't stand the constant vibrations on the highway. Dealer did all kinds of fixes, which helped some, but I always felt beat up after a long trip. The RDX is a dream on a long trip. It was a known issue in some of the previous gen's vehicles, and maybe the new generation CR-V is better, but I'm never going back.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
The loss on trade-in will be bigger than the gas savings.
Jordster (09-21-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ludepower
You're a salty Acura owner. Be like the OP and trade down to the crv.

You lose SH-AWD, awesome sound system, higher quality interior and powerful 2.0t engine.
Salty for a reason. As stated, the only reason I got it was for the 2.0T which isn’t an option for the CR-V. I don’t listen to the radio often, and if I do, the volume isn’t above 4 or 5 on the highway. SH-AWD is ok, but with the way people tak about it, you’d think it was leading the automobile world into nirvana. It’s not. The lower weight of the CR-V would help, which is exemplified in the fact that the current CR-V actually outshines the RDX in skidpad testing. Out accelerated by an Odyssey and outhandled by a CR-V. Yea, Acura is a real performance force to be reckoned with.

And that interior may have a nicer appearance, but it’s put together without a care as I have more rattles and creaks than any other car I, or any of my family members, have ever owned. Well, maybe not the 96 Blazer that pops still has around. I swear that thing has literal marbles inside the panels.

Last edited by leomio85; 09-20-2020 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-20-2020, 11:32 PM
Racer

Life to short to be salty. Your fortunate enough to afford an RDX. Take the depreciation hit and trade it for a CRV or 15k more and buy a german.

WTF.Acura (09-20-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 12:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 202 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio85
Salty for a reason. As stated, the only reason I got it was for the 2.0T which isn’t an option for the CR-V. I don’t listen to the radio often, and if I do, the volume isn’t above 4 or 5 on the highway. SH-AWD is ok, but with the way people tak about it, you’d think it was leading the automobile world into nirvana. It’s not. The lower weight of the CR-V would help, which is exemplified in the fact that the current CR-V actually outshines the RDX in skidpad testing. Out accelerated by an Odyssey and outhandled by a CR-V. Yea, Acura is a real performance force to be reckoned with.

And that interior may have a nicer appearance, but it’s put together without a care as I have more rattles and creaks than any other car I, or any of my family members, have ever owned. Well, maybe not the 96 Blazer that pops still has around. I swear that thing has literal marbles inside the panels.
I was in a similar boat - I probably would have gotten the CR-V if it came with the 2.0T (or just even 20hp more than what it has now). My wife preferred the CR-V for its more compact package and it was the lack of power that drove me to the RDX (I'm the primary driver so I won the vote).

Re: skipad testing - the RDX A-Spec comes with ancient tires. With better tires I'm sure it'd had out handle the CR-V on the pad.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by supafamous
I was in a similar boat - I probably would have gotten the CR-V if it came with the 2.0T (or just even 20hp more than what it has now). My wife preferred the CR-V for its more compact package and it was the lack of power that drove me to the RDX (I'm the primary driver so I won the vote).

Re: skipad testing - the RDX A-Spec comes with ancient tires. With better tires I'm sure it'd had out handle the CR-V on the pad.
True, and the skidpad is only one metric of handling, but it is afterall one metric of handling that the CR-V does actually beat the RDX in. Also, the Eagle RS-A's, though maybe not the best tires out there, are considered "high performance" all-season tires. CR-V comes with "touring" all-seasons, so you could make the argument that the CR-V would actually fare even better than the RDX if given an equal caliber of tire. I won't knock it anymore, since I personally feel the RDX's handling is more than competent enough for what it is, but it's nice to smack around these folks who think their Acura is actually a performance machine.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Mileage? If you really want to save on gas, go EV..
Old 09-21-2020, 07:24 AM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
The amount of $$$ you loose on the trade in, you will never recoup with gas savings! I would wait a few yrs....lot of improvements/new cars coming out with plug in battery technology. I guess the downside in waiting, some of the rebates may be gone. With my Volvo T8, I got back around $5100 (based on battery size) on my federal taxes this year (bought in 2019) and my State sent me a check for $2000.....I took a big hit when I traded in my 2016 Outback.....but 1 only lives once.....
Old 09-21-2020, 09:46 AM
Racer

A lot of replies are making a big deal out of depreciation hit. Well, privately selling your RDX will put you much closer to breaking even.

Why not advertise your car for sale and see if you get any takers at a good price? It might take a couple months, but that’ll give you even more time to decide if you really prefer the CRV. Meanwhile, if someone comes along willing to write you a check for a solid price on the RDX, you now have that option.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:15 AM
Drifting

I very much appreciate all comments! Most are spot on.

I bought the RDX because it has been a long time desire to own a premium brand...both for the features and the dealer experience...I don't car at all if people look at what I drive and say, "WOW what a Nice car!" I don't even think the RDX is especially good looking...although it is growing on me from a few perspectives. Many of the features premium brands offer are not offered on non-premium brands, but as we all know, they mostly do trickle down after a few years, when again the premiums offer more. Once I started researching and test driving the field, the only real choice for me was the RDX, and I got what I expected, and have been very happy with the car.

Fuel economy in a dollars and sense measure is not the issue. I can easily afford to pay for what ever fuel I use...at any market price. BUT, I usually beat the EPA ratings in my vehicles, and I don't think I am, with the RDX. My calculated lifetime average is just a hair under 27 mpg. I was hoping I could get closer to 28, 29. Yes, I am a conservative driver, the result of owning a few Hybrids over the years. It became a challenge for me too get the best MPG (without Hypermiling). I concluded driving for economy was very soothing, relaxing... and I didn't have to be concerned if there is a cop around. It makes driving much less stressful. I would be very unhappy if I was averaging in the very low 20's or more so the high teens as I have seem some report, but I do not live, or mostly drive, in a congested city area. I choose to splurge on some things, and cars is my one and only vice. (well, maybe chocolate!)

This being my first premium brand, I am thoroughly enjoying it. The dealer, not so much. But darn it, that was one of my expectations with a premium brand. Yes, it is true, I don't NEED to use the Acura dealer for routine maintenance once I have used my four free services, (I could shine them on, I suppose, but why?) Besides the fact that the Acura dealer is so far away from me, the overall feeing there is close to a low budget brand. I have NEVER had the same service advisor over what, maybe four visits? I think they only have two, and some times only one. It takes four to 6 minutes when calling in to get a live person, EVERY time, then, I still have to ask for the service advisor, or service dept. Their phone system STINKS. The waiting area is also significantly less opulent then either the Toyota or Ford/Lincoln dealer I have dealt with over the last 20 years. I think when I had the 18 CR-V that I traded in for the RDX I was only at the Honda dealer once or twice for service, and found it category appropriate. Pleasant, but not upscale. When I drive up at Acura, I am not greeted at my car, even if I sit there for several minutes. Quite the opposite at either Ford/Lincoln, or even Toyota.

Now I have talked myself into contacting the management at the Acura dealer. Besides the service experience, the sales experience was also less than I expected.

I know, it sounds like the dealer is the main issue. It is not. We bought my wife a 2020 CR-V Touring in Feb 2020, as someone correctly mentioned. It is a very nice, roomy SUV. Larger back seat area in the CR-V. My RDX is quieter, but surprisingly, not dramatically, so. When I drive the CR-V occasionally on the weekend, it does feel a class below the RDX. But maybe only a half class. The audio system is definitely less, NO comparison. Driver accessible storage is far better in the CRV, the True Touch pad and Drive Mode Knob taking up too much space in the RDX. But, as one poster mentioned somewhere today, I also usually only listen at a relatively low volume. Although when one of many favorite songs come on in the RDX, yeah! what a system when turned up! CR-V, I wouldn't likely bother to turn it up. No seat ventilation, AFAIK in the Hybrid CR-V, and I use that ALOT here in the desert. The seats are far more comfortable in the RDX. No HUD or pano roof in the CR-V, yet, but the UK CR-Vs DO have both, so I bet they will be offered here soon, as many other CR-V competitors are now offering both; Ford Escape, the new Rogue (which I wouldn't buy with someone else's money) I WOULD miss the HUD and cooled seats.

So, with all that said, I also agree that the depreciation hit would be great, especially now in Covid times. That hasn't stopped my in the past, however. But I do NOT dislike the RDX. Quite the contrary. I really like it. Perhaps another year or two, the RDX will offer a Hybrid option? But then it would likely be performance oriented rather than economy oriented. Oh well....Can't have it all, can you?

I have not, nor do I now plan to look into trade-in values on the RDX, or purchase pricing on the Hybrid CR-V.

Thanks again for all the great comments, you all have helped me decide to NOT trade in my RDX.

What a great group! I REALLY appreciate you all....even times when we disagree.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:17 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jmhumr
A lot of replies are making a big deal out of depreciation hit. Well, privately selling your RDX will put you much closer to breaking even.

Why not advertise your car for sale and see if you get any takers at a good price? It might take a couple months, but that’ll give you even more time to decide if you really prefer the CRV. Meanwhile, if someone comes along willing to write you a check for a solid price on the RDX, you now have that option.
Yeah, valid point, thanks! ...BUT the sales tax hit would make that likely a bad choice, as in AZ we only pay sales tax on the difference, at 8.1%
Old 09-21-2020, 10:28 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
This being my first premium brand, I am thoroughly enjoying it. The dealer, not so much. But darn it, that was one of my expectations with a premium brand. Yes, it is true, I don't NEED to use the Acura dealer for routine maintenance once I have used my four free services, (I could shine them on, I suppose, but why?) Besides the fact that the Acura dealer is so far away from me, the overall feeing there is close to a low budget brand. I have NEVER had the same service advisor over what, maybe four visits? I think they only have two, and some times only one. It takes four to 6 minutes when calling in to get a live person, EVERY time, then, I still have to ask for the service advisor, or service dept. Their phone system STINKS. The waiting area is also significantly less opulent then either the Toyota or Ford/Lincoln dealer I have dealt with over the last 20 years. I think when I had the 18 CR-V that I traded in for the RDX I was only at the Honda dealer once or twice for service, and found it category appropriate. Pleasant, but not upscale. When I drive up at Acura, I am not greeted at my car, even if I sit there for several minutes. Quite the opposite at either Ford/Lincoln, or even Toyota.
I think the problem is that you say you want a car from a premium brand, but what you really want is a car from a luxury brand. When I think of the overall Acura experience, it is more like Premium Economy, or maybe business class on an older plane if you have one of the better dealerships. Heck, you can't even order the car to your specific specifications; you pick from what Acura says you get to pick from, kind of like your meal options in coach (you want the vegetarian or meat option? Oh, the lamb and caprese salad? Sorry, that's for first class passengers only). It's most definitely not a first class experience like you would experience from BMW, Mercedes, or Lexus. It's a chicken-and-the-egg situation: most Acura dealerships know their target customers see their brand as a stepping stone to the top-tier luxury brand, and so they don't go above and beyond to offer that type of experience, and since they don't go above and beyond, most customers end up wanting to move up to a luxury-tier automaker.
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
acuraada (09-21-2020), leomio85 (09-21-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 10:32 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by acuraada
Mileage? If you really want to save on gas, go EV..
Yeah, about that...

It's a very long conversation, and I am not ready for an EV. Range anxiety primarily...and do EVs REALLY save anything, other than the gas one puts in the tank?
Old 09-21-2020, 10:43 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by fiatlux
I think the problem is that you say you want a car from a premium brand, but what you really want is a car from a luxury brand. When I think of the overall Acura experience, it is more like Premium Economy, or maybe business class on an older plane if you have one of the better dealerships. Heck, you can't even order the car to your specific specifications; you pick from what Acura says you get to pick from, kind of like your meal options in coach (you want the vegetarian or meat option? Oh, the lamb and caprese salad? Sorry, that's for first class passengers only). It's most definitely not a first class experience like you would experience from BMW, Mercedes, or Lexus. It's a chicken-and-the-egg situation: most Acura dealerships know their target customers see their brand as a stepping stone to the top-tier luxury brand, and so they don't go above and beyond to offer that type of experience, and since they don't go above and beyond, most customers end up wanting to move up to a luxury-tier automaker.
This makes a lot of sense. AND the reason I wrote "premium brand" rather than "luxury brand" ... I seriously considered Lexus. Lexus is the upscale brand from Toyota. Why isn't Acura the same from Honda? I didn't like any of the Lexuses (Lexi?), but was willing to spend the extra money if I HAD liked them. And yes, my Lexus dealer experience, at least from the sales, end was FAR better than Acura.

I kind of like being able to select the vehicle by trim, and not getting involved with options and option packages. In the past, when dealing with NON Honda brands, options and packages almost always meant I didn't get at least one feature I wanted, as none of the in-stock vehicles were equipped as I would choose. With Honda and Acura, it is easy, I just pick the top trim. Done! I get everything.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:52 AM
Safety Car

I think the reason Lexus has been able break into the luxury space is because their dealerships were forced to provide Mercedes levels of service by virtue of selling a legitimate S Class competitor. Plus, they have some seriously high priced cars that they sell. Acura, on the flip side, never had anything they competed at the top rungs, both in terms of price or product. Infiniti kind of did with the Q45, but that was always seen as a poor man’s LS, which already had the stigma of being a poor man’s S-Class. Hence, both these brands never had to build a dealership network for customers with more discerning tastes and expectations
Old 09-21-2020, 12:54 PM
Racer

Yeah, valid point, thanks! ...BUT the sales tax hit would make that likely a bad choice, as in AZ we only pay sales tax on the difference, at 8.1%
Oh wow. Here in VA we pay full tax (4.15%) on the full price of the car before incentives or trade-in. So there's really no incentive to trade-in unless the dealer is running a special trade-in deal.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:14 PM
Suzuka Master

I dont know about Lexus being premium or not, I am not satisfied with my Lexus dealer, its a lot worse than Acura. Yes, they have nice donuts and shmoozing advisers, but everything they tell you is a lie, and sell you services that are a joke, like “fuel system cleaning” on a car with 60k miles. Perhaps dealer experiences are not the same for everyone
Old 09-21-2020, 01:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by russianDude
I dont know about Lexus being premium or not, I am not satisfied with my Lexus dealer, its a lot worse than Acura. Yes, they have nice donuts and shmoozing advisers, but everything they tell you is a lie, and sell you services that are a joke, like “fuel system cleaning” on a car with 60k miles. Perhaps dealer experiences are not the same for everyone
I think the big difference in "luxury experience" between the German and Japanese luxury brands is the lack of minimum standards across Japanese dealerships. Some towns have posh Lexus and Acura dealers that come close to Audi or BMW, while others are no better than your typical Toyota or Honda dealer. Additionally, here in the DC area, most of the Acura dealers are packed into eyesore locations with bad traffic patterns and neighbors. The showroom in the one closest to me (Pohanka Acura) is packed so tight that you're always within arms reach of a car or a desk - it's not even professional, let alone luxurious.

Attempts to up-sell the customer, however, are universal across all brands, mainstream and luxury.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:51 PM
Suzuka Master

As a brand(putting dealerships experiences aside), I do agree that Lexus is positioned as a more luxurious brand than Acura. They have more model choices and overall their cars are more expensive, which attracts more affluent buyers. Lexus has number one reliability, which allows them to get cocky.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 286 Posts
I would suggest looking into GLB and to a lesser extent GLC or XC60. I kind of feel those are better match for what you really want. CRV is great by itself, but selling RDX for CRV, I just feel like it is not worth it personally.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:48 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
Yeah, about that...

It's a very long conversation, and I am not ready for an EV. Range anxiety primarily...and do EVs REALLY save anything, other than the gas one puts in the tank?

Yes, they do.

In 100K miles, you'll likely only change the tires, cabin air filter and the wiper blases.

That’s it.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:26 PM
Banned

EV cars save everything except the environment.
The following 2 users liked this post by DriverOne:
JB in AZ (09-21-2020), Showkey (05-18-2021)
Old 09-21-2020, 05:31 PM
Banned

This makes a lot of sense. AND the reason I wrote "premium brand" rather than "luxury brand" ... I seriously considered Lexus. Lexus is the upscale brand from Toyota. Why isn't Acura the same from Honda? I didn't like any of the Lexuses (Lexi?), but was willing to spend the extra money if I HAD liked them. And yes, my Lexus dealer experience, at least from the sales, end was FAR better than Acura.
People keep saying it's because Acura is not a luxury brand. I'd point out that Acura and Lexus are geared towards entirely different buyers. Lexus is the luxury car picked by old people. They ride like boats and the suspension is tuned for comfort only, is my understanding. Those old people like to be led around in the dealership. Acura is more of a performance vehicle and I think it's for younger people. The handling is DEFINITELY for younger people. I don't think younger people care as much about the "dealer experience." I don't actually care how my dealer treats me, other than he gets me in and out in a timely fashion, which he has so far. He also probably installed some micro scratches on my car, which ticked me off, but it's not the end of the world.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:54 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Yes, they do.

In 100K miles, you'll likely only change the tires, cabin air filter and the wiper blases.

That’s it.
Like I said, and you quoted, It's a very long conversation. VERY briefly, the EV owner may save some money of fuel, and oil changes, etc...but there is a whole lot more to that conversation. Not counting the higher costs of buying an EV, there are costs and environmental issues that go along with the mining of the raw minerals needed for the batteries. I don't have time now, but here is just one article that I found that explains the process;

EV Battery info

i
RickRDX (03-26-2021)

Quick Reply: Talk me out of trading my 19 RDX Advance for a 2020 CR-V Hybrid Touring