AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RDX (2019+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/)
-   -   Struggling with the Key FOB (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/struggling-key-fob-976329/)

WPJoe 01-11-2019 10:56 AM

Struggling with the Key FOB

I am finding that the FOB is really only working for me intermittently.

I generally keep it in a small bag - for a while it was working no problem but lately it often wont work. I will take the bag off my shoulder and hold it right up against the door, but nothing is happening. In fact, the times where its in the bag and not working, sometimes I even take it out of the bag and still nothing happens until I actually use the button on the FOB to trigger the lock.

And then other times it works fine. Kind of frustrating in case anyone has ideas or advice?

Thanks.

MI-RDX 01-11-2019 11:30 AM

Try changing the battery(batteries?). Even though it's relatively new the batteries could have been sitting on the suppliers shelf for a while.

thoiboi 01-11-2019 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by MI-RDX (Post 16363458)
Try changing the battery(batteries?). Even though it's relatively new the batteries could have been sitting on the suppliers shelf for a while.

was going to suggest exactly this

spinedoc777 01-11-2019 01:27 PM

How to you unlock the back doors if you have it set to only unlock the front doors when pressing the door handle? I know you can hit the fob twice, but is there any way to do it with the door handle without having to take the fob out?

MI-RDX 01-11-2019 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by spinedoc777 (Post 16363562)
How to you unlock the back doors if you have it set to only unlock the front doors when pressing the door handle? I know you can hit the fob twice, but is there any way to do it with the door handle without having to take the fob out?

You can unlock all doors by grabbing the front passenger or one of the rear door handles.

Edit: Just noticed this from the owners manual where indicates this may not be available on all models. Don't know which do not have it.

Grab the front passenger’s door or rear* door
handle:
- All doors, fuel fill door, and the tailgate unlock.
- Some exterior lights flash twice and the beeper sounds twice.

SebringSilver 01-11-2019 03:08 PM

If your fob is situated very close to your phone, often times the two radio signals will clash and your fob won’t be able to communicate with the car.

spinedoc777 01-11-2019 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by MI-RDX (Post 16363569)
You can unlock all doors by grabbing the front passenger or one of the rear door handles.

Edit: Just noticed this from the owners manual where indicates this may not be available on all models. Don't know which do not have it.

I have the option in settings to set the door handle grab to either unlock the front driver door and the tailgate OR all the doors, no other options. I was hoping that some kind of double grab or press on the door would open all the doors, but it seems that I have to get the fob out and press twice. Kind of sucks when you have little kids and your hands are full. Ideally I'd have a handle press only unlock the front door (not sure why they add the tailgate to that) for security, and a double touch/grab would unlock all the doors.

MI-RDX 01-11-2019 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by spinedoc777 (Post 16363662)
I have the option in settings to set the door handle grab to either unlock the front driver door and the tailgate OR all the doors, no other options. I was hoping that some kind of double grab or press on the door would open all the doors, but it seems that I have to get the fob out and press twice.....

Mine also is set to open the driver door and tailgate when grabbing the driver door handle. Grabbing the passenger front door or either rear door will unlock everything - it might be that this is the function not available on all trim levels.

Burger Steak & Eggs 01-11-2019 08:38 PM

I've also noticed the handle grabbing doesn't always work to open the door(s). When it fails, it seems to fail for days at a time, then something changes and it works again. When it fails I know the car is detecting something because it lets out a beep / blink and the mirrors fold in when I grab the handle. It just won't open the door until I use the button on the fob directly.
I believe moisture / humidity has something to do with it. A layer of water may very well "short out" the capacitive touch mechanism.

JB in AZ 01-11-2019 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Burger Steak & Eggs (Post 16363853)
I've also noticed the handle grabbing doesn't always work to open the door(s). When it fails, it seems to fail for days at a time, then something changes and it works again. When it fails I know the car is detecting something because it lets out a beep / blink and the mirrors fold in when I grab the handle. It just won't open the door until I use the button on the fob directly.
I believe moisture / humidity has something to do with it. A layer of water may very well "short out" the capacitive touch mechanism.

The mirrors fold in? Thought the RDX didn't have power folding mirrors????

MI-RDX 01-11-2019 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by JB in AZ (Post 16363854)
The mirrors fold in? Thought the RDX didn't have power folding mirrors????

Canadian versions do.

Master47 01-12-2019 06:51 AM

My wife is experiencing this problem intermittently. I’ve chalked it up to her small purse that also houses her phone as someone above pointed out. Those experiencing this, do you keep your phone in the same pocket as your fob, or in a confined small purse (or murse)? :)

samiam_68 01-12-2019 09:40 AM

My GF's brand new CR-V has the same exact intermittent issue. My 15 RDX does not - always works consistently.

spinedoc777 01-12-2019 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by MI-RDX (Post 16363808)
Mine also is set to open the driver door and tailgate when grabbing the driver door handle. Grabbing the passenger front door or either rear door will unlock everything - it might be that this is the function not available on all trim levels.

Ahh so grabbing a passenger or rear door handle will open all the doors?!? That's what I was looking for, will have to test it out.

MI-RDX 01-12-2019 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by spinedoc777 (Post 16364020)
Ahh so grabbing a passenger or rear door handle will open all the doors?!? That's what I was looking for, will have to test it out.

Hopefully it will work for you, but the owner's manual and owner's guide both indicate it's not available on all trim levels and I'm not able to find anywhere that defines on what trims it is.

spinedoc777 01-12-2019 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by MI-RDX (Post 16364032)
Hopefully it will work for you, but the owner's manual and owner's guide both indicate it's not available on all trim levels and I'm not able to find anywhere that defines on what trims it is.

Yeah I looked today and only the 2 front doors have sensors, no sensors in the back. I didn't test if the passenger door opens all doors, but it does me little good. I'll just go back to all the doors opening option, even if it's less secure.