Stop Engine at D position without pushing P button

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 10:38 AM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stop Engine at D position without pushing P button

I wonder if any complication could happen if I don't go to P position before stopping the engine when I was at the D position. I asked because with auto idle stop mode on, fully stop at D position will stop the engine, but once I switch to P position, the engine starts again, which kind of annoying. I am going to stop the engine any so why do I have to start the engine just because I need to switch to P.

I tried to push the start/stop button at D position and my car switch to P automatically, However, by doing so, the computer would seem to completely stop the car first, and then switch to P. Maybe I was not correct but my observation seems to indicate that the gear would engage the gear for parking after the engine off. Can anyone confirm?

Does anyone know if pressing start/stop button at D position creates any mechanical issue (or any issue at all)? If no problem doing so, once the auto idle stop engaged, I would simply press one button to save the engine from starting again.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:07 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
This has been discussed in other treads. I believe there is a video showing the proper sequence and it includes going from D/S to Power Off without using Park.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:06 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by dweilbacher
This has been discussed in other treads. I believe there is a video showing the proper sequence and it includes going from D/S to Power Off without using Park.
I tried to search with keywords combinations like D/S, power off, park...I don't find a discussion in this forum. Can you please direct me to the forum you mentioned?
Old 05-07-2019, 04:28 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts
We have been going from D/S to Power Off all the time for the past seven months without any problem. We did this initially so that we couldn't leave the vehicle with the engine still running.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:38 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
With auto idle activated, Power off the car and it will automatically set itself to park.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:21 PM
6th Gear

Thanks to you all. It's very helpful.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:19 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by yungyeh
I tried to search with keywords combinations like D/S, power off, park...I don't find a discussion in this forum. Can you please direct me to the forum you mentioned?
I believe this is the Forum discussion: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...uitive-978153/
The following users liked this post:
yungyeh (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 08:33 AM
6th Gear

Thanks!
That's a good discussion thread. It looks like Acura need to emphasize/clarify the condition for the user. Or they should train their sales better. I asked my salesperson two days ago. He strongly suggested I push P before hitting the start/stop button. But I now believe it should be fine by pushing that stop button directly without engaging P position.
The following users liked this post:
JB in AZ (05-10-2019)