A-Spec theory

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 06:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
A-Spec theory

I have been trying to read as many threads as possible, but there is so much posting on the new RDX pardon me if this theory has already been posted. There is a lot of complaining that the A-Spec should come with the Advance options, but what if Acura is holding that for the Type-S? The Type-S would likely sit above the Advance and be the Advance with A-Spec cosmetics and the newer V6 Turbo? Still not convinced ther is a huge market for a RDX Type-S, but even if they sell 500 a month it may still be worth it to get customers in the door. I would like to,hope they are going to do the first re-introduction of a Type-S on the new TLX. If they did a Type-S the right way on a TLX I would easily pay $50-53K range. It would have to have 330+ HP and all the features one would expect from say a S6 Audi.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:33 AM
NJT

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
I have been trying to read as many threads as possible, but there is so much posting on the new RDX pardon me if this theory has already been posted. There is a lot of complaining that the A-Spec should come with the Advance options, but what if Acura is holding that for the Type-S? The Type-S would likely sit above the Advance and be the Advance with A-Spec cosmetics and the newer V6 Turbo? Still not convinced ther is a huge market for a RDX Type-S, but even if they sell 500 a month it may still be worth it to get customers in the door. I would like to,hope they are going to do the first re-introduction of a Type-S on the new TLX. If they did a Type-S the right way on a TLX I would easily pay $50-53K range. It would have to have 330+ HP and all the features one would expect from say a S6 Audi.
If they make the Type-S a sports hybrid that gets great city mpg then I think it will sell very well. I would pay a nice premium for that technology.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:21 AM
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 188 Posts
Originally Posted by James Wilson
If they make the Type-S a sports hybrid that gets great city mpg then I think it will sell very well. I would pay a nice premium for that technology.
Acura's already said the Type-S is going to get the turbo V6 so it won't be a sports hybrid unless the only the rear wheels are being spun by the gas engine (don't see any way that happens)
Old 06-09-2018, 12:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
That is exactly what I was thinking as well. They have left an obvious opening for a fully loaded Type-S model... I’m hoping they’ll release a Type-S for the 2020 MY and not make us wait for the MMC...

There are some features they really should have put on the A-Spec, like the 16-way seats and adaptive dampers. Rain-sensing wipers are another disappointing omission, those should be included with the tech package (or any $40k+ vehicle for that matter!). I want the A-Spec for the looks but as silly as it sounds I can’t live without rain-sensing wipers!
Old 06-09-2018, 01:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
But why can't we just have a fully-loaded A-Spec for now and trade it in for the Type S when it comes out? Acura would have lost two sales in the process, because people who want "fully-loaded" would probably just get something else altogether and never come back.

I'm still confused by this myopic strategy.

I wonder how many other people want an A-Spec that has the 360 surround view camera, heated rear seats, adaptive suspension, head-up display, etc. It can't be just me.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:34 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
I do, but Im also willing to settle for a normal AS. That being said, I never use the 360 camera I have now, Ive read that the a/d suspension is quite soft. For what the AS is missing, I personally don't care, but I can see others might wanting them. Oh and we get heated rears in Canada.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:49 PM
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by joshuaren

That is exactly what I was thinking as well. They have left an obvious opening for a fully loaded Type-S model... I’m hoping they’ll release a Type-S for the 2020 MY and not make us wait for the MMC...

There are some features they really should have put on the A-Spec, like the 16-way seats and adaptive dampers. Rain-sensing wipers are another disappointing omission, those should be included with the tech package (or any $40k+ vehicle for that matter!). I want the A-Spec for the looks but as silly as it sounds I can’t live without rain-sensing wipers!
I was also very surprised that the Tech doesn't have rain-sensing wipers.
I didn't realize it until after I bought the car.
My TLX Tech had them and I got used to having them.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
But why can't we just have a fully-loaded A-Spec for now and trade it in for the Type S when it comes out? Acura would have lost two sales in the process, because people who want "fully-loaded" would probably just get something else altogether and never come back.

I'm still confused by this myopic strategy.

I wonder how many other people want an A-Spec that has the 360 surround view camera, heated rear seats, adaptive suspension, head-up display, etc. It can't be just me.
They have to make some options appealing for the upper trims. I understand why they do it which is why a while back I only buy loaded cars, saves the frustration. Yes the A-Spec is tempting, but missing features. If they loaded up the A-Spec as an advance then it would be $2-3K more than the Advance then a true Type-S would be another $2-5K more, they start losing their value advantage at that point as well as the differentiation gets blurred. This leave obvious model steps. What frustrates me is not going Type-S day 1 as they usually wait for MMC. I am hoping it is just that the Type-S is not ready yet, but when they do the TLX they need the Type S announced at launch even if it is not available for 3-4 months after launch.

We just test drove another RDX, this time Advance trim and the car is amazing, wife is eager to get hers, but no ETA yet. If I could bring myself to do a SUV I would get one as well to hold me over until the TLX comes, but I just can;t do a SUV every day.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by supafamous
Acura's already said the Type-S is going to get the turbo V6 so it won't be a sports hybrid unless the only the rear wheels are being spun by the gas engine (don't see any way that happens)
Did they say that? Because despite it being mentioned here on the forum repeatedly, I have yet to see any hard evidence of an RDX Type-S. I know Acura has the all new turbocharged V6 under development, and that they've announced the return of the Type-S designation to more than one model, but if they've confirmed either for the RDX, I've missed it. And I follow the industry very, very closely.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:46 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRodW
Did they say that? Because despite it being mentioned here on the forum repeatedly, I have yet to see any hard evidence of an RDX Type-S. I know Acura has the all new turbocharged V6 under development, and that they've announced the return of the Type-S designation to more than one model, but if they've confirmed either for the RDX, I've missed it. And I follow the industry very, very closely.
Yeah, the only thing confirmed from Acura is that the RDX was engineered to be able to accommodate a V6. This has led some to misconstrue it as a confirmation that a Type-S variant is in the works. Personally, I do think it's coming one day. Why bother develop a nice engine and just stick it in a few models? Especially when CUVs are all the rage now. But the first Type-S we're going to see is probably coming to the TLX as we've seen a number of test mules. This is how I see the model line up:

RDX - 2.0T base, 3.0T Type-S
TLX - 2.0T base, 3.0T Type-S
MDX - 3.0T base, 3.0T + Sport Hybird Type-S
RLX (if it sees the light of a new gen) - Same powertrains as the MDX
ILX replacement - 1.5T?
CDX coming to North America - 1.5T?

Last edited by ZipSpeed; 06-09-2018 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:42 PM
NJT

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by supafamous
Arent some of the existing sports hybrids twin turbo V6s? Maybe I am mistaken.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRodW
No there is zero hard evidence that an RDX Type-S is coming. The only proof we have is that Acura stated the platform was made to be able to accommodate a V6 engine and everything else that uses the platform (Acura says it is unique to Acura but I have a hard time believing that) is strictly I4 based. I mean they could drop in the MDX hybrid powertrain (which is what I actually expect), there is nothing stating that the RDX will get a 3.0T however I really think that is necessary at this point.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by James Wilson
Arent some of the existing sports hybrids twin turbo V6s? Maybe I am mistaken.
You are mistaken, none of the current Acura models use a twin turbo V6 except for the NSX supercar which uses a unique to it twin turbo 3.5l V6.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:03 PM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
And how cool is this?!!!
Old 06-09-2018, 09:36 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honda is not making an V6 turbo engine other then the NSX. Or not in my factory. I would expect it to be about 3 years out. It is a very slow process to get started after the decision has been made and the engineers where given the money to buy the machines. Some machines take 2 years to get after ordered. So buy one now like myself and you can always upgrade later. But I am sure a Type-S will be above my pay scale.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
The new turbocharged V6 might be closer than you think. Or maybe this TLX test mule is for something else, although I can't imagine what it would be.

Mysterious Acura TLX Mule Has us Scratching Our Heads » AutoGuide.com News

Old 06-10-2018, 10:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by MTD
I do, but Im also willing to settle for a normal AS. That being said, I never use the 360 camera I have now, Ive read that the a/d suspension is quite soft. For what the AS is missing, I personally don't care, but I can see others might wanting them. Oh and we get heated rears in Canada.
i stopped by at the dealership this afternoon. Sadly, the salesperson confirmed the A-Spec (Canadian model) does not have heated rear seats.