A-Spec and Advance Std. features!!

Old 05-09-2018, 01:56 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Exclamation A-Spec and Advance Std. features!!

OK, you didn't hear it from me....LOL...and I'm not telling my source, other than it is from Acura and it's a "non published" piece of info.

The Advance Model WILL have these features...AND the A-Spec will NOT:
1. Adaptive Damper System 2. 16 Way Front Seats 3. Head Up Display 4. Surround View Camera 5. Hands Free Assist Tailgate 6. Rear Heated Seats 7. Heated Steering Wheel 8. Rain Sensing Wipers
9. Rear Camera Washer.

The A-Spec will have: 3D ELS 16 speaker sound system; ventilated front seats; LED fog lights; 20" wheels; Acura Watch Pus; Rear USB Charge Ports (2); Smart Entry 4 - door.

Now, these are the key points. And, please don't ask me any questions....because I don't know anything other than what I just posted....and yes, it did come from Acura. But, I don't have answers for anything else.

What stands out to me: No 16 way seats; No head up display; No surround view camera.

So, again, this info is not "all inclusive" of what the A-Spec won't or does have. Just keying in on some of the "big ones" that is talked about a lot here.

Makes me think there will be a decent $$ gap between these 2 models. We'll see.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:02 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Kind of weird that the A-Spec doesn't get the adaptive dampers. Unless it gets its own sport suspension. Although I suppose I don't have to worry too much, since Canadian models will probably offer an Elite A-Spec, albeit with a much higher price tag.
The following users liked this post:
RDX10 (05-10-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 02:24 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
Great info!
Old 05-09-2018, 02:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I feel guilty having had a heated steering wheel, rain sensing wipers, 4 door Smart Entry and heated rear seats on my Canadian TLX Techs since 2015. Regarding the RDX trim content, I am inclined to think that with all of the Elite content, they should have considered including the Surround Camera with the Tech package. It's becoming more common with some lower end vehicles, including the Nissan Rogue.
RDX10 (05-10-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 03:10 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
it is a bit disappointing to hear the A-Spec will not have the HUD, 16 way front seat, and rain sensing wipers. Now I'm torn whether to get the A-Spec or Advance.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:33 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Thanks for posting that. So based off that plus what we know from interviews with Acura reps, this looks pretty close to what the packages will be for the US...

Base:
Pano roof
Safety features

Tech:
Navigation
Parking sensors
Upgraded leather
ELS Audio

Aspec:
Tech features
Appearance changes
Ventilated seats
Fog lights
Larger wheels
Different settings for springs / dampers
ELS 3D audio
Rear USB Charge Ports (2)

Advance:
Everything from above except for Aspec specific styling and wheels
Wood trim
Leather piping / stitching
Surround view camera
Heating package (steering wheel / rear seats)
Adaptive dampers
HUD
16 way power front seats
Hands Free Assist Tailgate
Rear Camera Washer (Really?)
Rain sensing wipers

Nothing confirmed yet regarding wireless charging or power folding side mirrors.
The following 3 users liked this post by MrJames:
Froid (05-22-2018), JeffS (05-10-2018), mteibel (01-20-2020)
Old 05-09-2018, 04:46 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Smile

Originally Posted by MrJames
Thanks for posting that. So based off that plus what we know from interviews with Acura reps, this looks pretty close to what the packages will be for the US...

Base:
Pano roof
Safety features

Tech:
Navigation
Parking sensors
Upgraded leather
ELS Audio

Aspec:
Tech features
Appearance changes
Ventilated seats
Fog lights
Larger wheels
ELS 3D audio

Advance:
Wood trim
Surround view camera
Adaptive dampers
HUD
16 way power front seats
Rain sensing wipers

Nothing confirmed yet regarding wireless charging or power folding side mirrors.
Again, my info came straight from an "internal Acura document." And the "Rear Camera Washers" were on the Advance list.

Now, the "different settings for springs and dampers"....uhhh....I don't think so. The "Official Acura Press Release" which has many pages of RDX info....nothing in there talks about that...and, the Adaptive Dampers on the Advance
Model are not "adjustable." They are self "aware" and adjust accordingly. So, IF that is on the Advance only, and not the A-Spec....I don't see "adjustable different settings" for the dampers. I'll know for sure after May 20th...unless
someone has a "for sure" piece of info before then.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
Kind of weird that the A-Spec doesn't get the adaptive dampers. Unless it gets its own sport suspension. Although I suppose I don't have to worry too much, since Canadian models will probably offer an Elite A-Spec, albeit with a much higher price tag.
I got a bit upset at first until I realized we live in Canada and we don’t have that feature-trim split, we’ll get both the A-Spec and Elite packages combined!!! Love how well Honda and Acura treats us here.
ZipSpeed (05-09-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 04:57 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
Again, my info came straight from an "internal Acura document." And the "Rear Camera Washers" were on the Advance list.

Now, the "different settings for springs and dampers"....uhhh....I don't think so. The "Official Acura Press Release" which has many pages of RDX info....nothing in there talks about that...and, the Adaptive Dampers on the Advance
Model are not "adjustable." They are self "aware" and adjust accordingly. So, IF that is on the Advance only, and not the A-Spec....I don't see "adjustable different settings" for the dampers. I'll know for sure after May 20th...unless
someone has a "for sure" piece of info before then.
For clarity, the different settings is in reference to the tune of the springs / dampers on the Aspec version only. I'll update that on my list. Never mentioned them being adjustable, just that the Apsec version is tuned differently from the other models.
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (05-09-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 05:01 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
I bet you can get an Advanced. You can get an A Spec. And you can get an Advanced with A Spec.

That's my guess.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:06 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I bet you can get an Advanced. You can get an A Spec. And you can get an Advanced with A Spec.

That's my guess.
I Hope that is the case. My buddy who works at Honda Corporate says they are unveiling the RDX today to their employees. He will try and get as much info as he can.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:12 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Smile Base, Tech, A-Spec, Advance - no mixing.

Originally Posted by Madd Dog

That's my guess.
Sorry, but no. The std features for each model is a progression from the Base, then the Tech adds some things, then the A-Spec adds some...and then the Advance adds some. There's no mixing and matching.
Just like it's been for Acura for yrs. I have the internal only Acura doc. that states the key features of each of the 4 models. That's how I was able to be specific on what key things the A-Spec has and the Advance.
They don't cross over. Wish it was set up to get some Advance items put on the A-Spec....but, Honda Motor Corp. and many other manufacturers don't do it that way. I know Ford doesn't. If you don't buy a certain model
configuration...you can't get items from one to go on another.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:14 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Smile

For clarity, the different settings is in reference to the tune of the springs / dampers on the Aspec version only. I'll update that on my list. Never mentioned them being adjustable, just that the Apsec version is tuned differently from the other models.
Sorry, misunderstood. My bad on that one!
Old 05-10-2018, 01:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Sorry, but no. The std features for each model is a progression from the Base, then the Tech adds some things, then the A-Spec adds some...and then the Advance adds some. There's no mixing and matching.
Just like it's been for Acura for yrs. I have the internal only Acura doc. that states the key features of each of the 4 models. That's how I was able to be specific on what key things the A-Spec has and the Advance.
They don't cross over. Wish it was set up to get some Advance items put on the A-Spec....but, Honda Motor Corp. and many other manufacturers don't do it that way. I know Ford doesn't. If you don't buy a certain model
configuration...you can't get items from one to go on another.
This isn’t the case in Canada though, here we get the TLX Tech or Advance WITH A-spec package. So now I’m wondering if this means the RDX will follow suit. Should know the answer to that in a month or so.

I have to say I hate that you guys have to choose between A-Spec and Advance. I definitely would want the red leather with suede inserts as well as the sports trim and details of the A-Spec but I also would not want to miss out on things like 16-way seats and HUD which IMHO on a sporty trim you would want the 16 way seats and HUD even more wouldn’t you?

If they do make a RDX-S in the future would it then amalgamate A-Spec and Advance features for you guys and include a powertrain bump as well?
Old 05-10-2018, 06:15 AM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
I don't know if I'm remembering correctly, but did I hear or read in one of the dozens of videos and articles out there on the '19 that it will have in-car Wi-Fi? I thought I did, but not certain...

Last edited by birdonamission; 05-10-2018 at 06:19 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:49 AM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
This makes me happy i'm in Canada so i can get the A-spec with the advanced package!
Old 05-10-2018, 10:50 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts
thanks for sharing the info! very useful.

I hope Canada follows the old method and not the US one. We will get advanced A-Spec package.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:55 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts
Based on the first video posted here, the advanced package has 3D ELS studio system.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:52 AM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I prefer how the A-Spec looks, but I'll be getting the Advance.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:09 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Base:
Pano roof
Safety features

Tech:
Navigation
Parking sensors
Upgraded leather
ELS Audio

Aspec:
Tech features
Appearance changes
Ventilated seats
Fog lights
Larger wheels
ELS 3D audio

Advance:
Wood trim
Surround view camera
Adaptive dampers
HUD
16 way power front seats
Rain sensing wipers

Will A-Spec and Advance get 20" wheels or 19" for Advance?
Old 05-10-2018, 04:44 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Smile 3d els

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Based on the first video posted here, the advanced package has 3D ELS studio system.
The 3 D ELS 16 speaker surround sound system will be std. on the A-Spec and the Advance.
The following 2 users liked this post by Colorado Guy AF Ret.:
oblio98 (05-15-2018), Tony Pac (05-11-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 04:46 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by mattski
Will A-Spec and Advance get 20" wheels or 19" for Advance?
The A-Spec gets the 20's.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:14 PM
Advanced

The A-Spec gets the 20's.
Right, but will they be optional or standard on Advance trim? I saw somewhere that Advanced might get the 19” wheels - which I would prefer here in pothole filed New England
Old 05-10-2018, 08:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Right, but will they be optional or standard on Advance trim? I saw somewhere that Advanced might get the 19” wheels - which I would prefer here in pothole filed New England
I do not like 19” wheels because the tires cost so damn much!!! 19’s cost more than 20’s! I’d rather have 20’s or 18’s.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:11 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Smile

Sorry, but, I thought I was answering your question. The A-Spec gets the 20's. Exclusive. Advance...19's. That's it. Nothing else.

If Acura changes their minds late in the game and makes 20's optional on "any other model"....then we'll see. But, I don't see that happening. 20's are an "A-Spec thing." Personally, I wish they hadn't done that
but, they did. Gen 2 RDX's have 18's and I think that's plenty. They could have gone to a lower profile than the 60's...and a little wider and that would have been cool. Like a 50 series tire...maybe 245's. Cheaper for
us to buy too. Anyway....it is what it is.
mattski (05-11-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 11:20 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Smile

Originally Posted by 19RDX
I prefer how the A-Spec looks, but I'll be getting the Advance.
I'm starting to feel that way too. My wife loves the red leather interior...which is only available on the A-Spec. Overall it's kind of a tough choice. But, for me, even before that issue would be decided is how smooth is that
turbo 4 with the 10 speed trans? In the Accord, Motor Trend says it's very smooth and almost no turbo lag...due to the multiple gears in the trans. So, with 20 more hp the engines and trans are pretty much the same.
Where it gets "stepped up" in how the engine is tuned is the version in the Civic Type R. with over 300 hp. But, that's a manual trans only..

So, after a good test drive...and IF I like the eng/trans combo then I'll look at which model I may want....or not. It's a "want thing...not a need to have." I've got a '17 RDX Tech with 4,200 miles. But, the '19 is tempting...me and so
many other's apparently.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:42 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RDX10

I do not like 19” wheels because the tires cost so damn much!!! 19’s cost more than 20’s! I’d rather have 20’s or 18’s.
Agreed! I have 20's on my Murano and then switch to the the base model 18's with winter tires for the snow, slush, salt season. The 20's handle great, but the ride is harsher and and impact absorption capability is significantly below the taller sidewalls of the 18's. The only hope I have is that the 19" size becomes more popular and we have more choices and lower prices.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Agreed! I have 20's on my Murano and then switch to the the base model 18's with winter tires for the snow, slush, salt season. The 20's handle great, but the ride is harsher and and impact absorption capability is significantly below the taller sidewalls of the 18's. The only hope I have is that the 19" size becomes more popular and we have more choices and lower prices.
You bring up a excellent point. 19’s are so expensive compared to the others because it is an unusual tire size historically. But these days 19’s are so common on many many vehicles. The price should have dropped a while ago. You can get vehicles from Kia and Hyundai and Toyota now with 19’s. Not to mention Audi, infiniti, VW...etc.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:58 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Smile

You bring up a excellent point. 19’s are so expensive compared to the others because it is an unusual tire size historically. But these days 19’s are so common on many many vehicles. The price should have dropped a while ago. You can get vehicles from Kia and Hyundai and Toyota now with 19’s. Not to mention Audi, infiniti, VW...etc.
And don't forget the 19's used on other Acuras....TLX's.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:08 PM
Suzuka Master

And don't forget the 19's used on other Acuras....TLX's.
True, so in reality the price of 19’s shouldn’t be so different compared to other sizes.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:01 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Smile Tire prices...20' and 19's??

True, so in reality the price of 19’s shouldn’t be so different compared to other sizes.
Now, I'm very curious. I buy all my tires from Tire Rack. I'll go there now and price out some Michelins in 20 and 19's.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:26 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Smile Tire Prices...20's, 19's

OK, I don't know the tire size of the '19 RDX with the 19's. Can't find that info anywhere. Maybe a pic close up exists of the tires?? I know the 20's on the A-Spec.

1. 255/45/20 -- Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+....great tires...have on my TLX A-Spec. $228.97 ea. at Tire Rack and now..Free Shipping. And you always get their 2 yrs Free Road Hazard Package.

2. 245/50/19 (guessing here) -- Same tire as the 20's in #1. $229.97!! $1 more!! Free Shipping and 2 yr. Free Road Hazard.

Now, I know these are expensive tires. But, they are damn good ones. You can get some Continentals...for about $160 total less....but, I've had my "fill" of Contis.....cracked sidewalls and a massive blow out on another. So, for a little
more I'm now sticking with the Michelins. I think, built a lot better. And they really feel good on my TLX...and they are 40 series! Ride smooth, quiet and really handle.

That's it for now. Again, if the 19" tire size is off....I'm close and the price for the same Mich. will be almost the same.

Cheers!!!
Old 05-11-2018, 10:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
^ Assuming Acura will attempt to keep overall diameters essentially the same for all available wheel sizes, the proper 19" fitment would be 255/50/19, which has an identical 29.04" diameter to the 255/45/20. The 18's would be 255/55's, which is also 29.04". (Plus and minus sizing is normally not that perfect.) That's quite a bit of rubber, so they might go for a narrower section width on non-A-Spec trims.

The Michelin Premier LTX would be my preference as an OEM tire.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:58 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Smile

Originally Posted by HotRodW
^ Assuming Acura will attempt to keep overall diameters essentially the same for all available wheel sizes, the proper 19" fitment would be 255/50/19, which has an identical 29.04" diameter to the 255/45/20. The 18's would be 255/55's, which is also 29.04". (Plus and minus sizing is normally not that perfect.) That's quite a bit of rubber, so they might go for a narrower section width on non-A-Spec trims.

The Michelin Premier LTX would be my preference as an OEM tire.
The A-Specs tires are: 255/45/20.. And their diam. is 29.1". And yes, they do need to keep diam. within .4" or less when going to 19's or 18's. For the Mich. I priced out the 19" tire size I quoted was the closest in diam.
at 28.7" So, .4" less in diam. Again, I don't know what the tire size is for the 19's on the RDX. I'll look again, but, I don't think they had a 255/50/19 in that tire. Don't think it would be a 255 tire either. Too much tire
for the std RDX's. or non A-Spec.

The tire I wrote about is the latest and greatest. It's #1 in Ultra High Performance All Season category. Best in water and snow etc. The LTX series has been around a long time and is not a "highly rated tire" although it is a MIch. But,
Acura has been using Michelin MXM4's for yrs on the Gen 2 RDX's....and they are OK, but, not the best for all season situations. I know...I've had plenty of them. Whatever comes on my new RDX...I will take off and put the Mich. I listed.
Probably will keep the OEM's on the stock wheels and also get optional RDX wheels and mount my Mich. on them.

OEM tires, even Mich. are OK tires, but, not the best. They do watch tire costs, and that's why most all new cars have mediocre OEM tires. Some are down right terrible.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:34 AM
Drifting

I run the A/S 3s on my 535, and wouldn't switch for another tire, especially to save a couple of bucks that wouldn't amount to a nice dinner out for two. I don't cheap out on tires. My XAS tires were relatively more costly than the AS3s. Not that I have done some sort of inflation adjustment analysis, it just seems that way to me. My relative financial situation in my twnties might have something to do with it.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 05-12-2018 at 06:37 AM.
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (05-12-2018)
Old 05-12-2018, 08:00 AM
Burning Brakes

The A-Specs tires are: 255/45/20.. And their diam. is 29.1". And yes, they do need to keep diam. within .4" or less when going to 19's or 18's. For the Mich. I priced out the 19" tire size I quoted was the closest in diam.
at 28.7" So, .4" less in diam. Again, I don't know what the tire size is for the 19's on the RDX. I'll look again, but, I don't think they had a 255/50/19 in that tire. Don't think it would be a 255 tire either. Too much tire
for the std RDX's. or non A-Spec.

The tire I wrote about is the latest and greatest. It's #1 in Ultra High Performance All Season category. Best in water and snow etc. The LTX series has been around a long time and is not a "highly rated tire" although it is a MIch. But,
Acura has been using Michelin MXM4's for yrs on the Gen 2 RDX's....and they are OK, but, not the best for all season situations. I know...I've had plenty of them. Whatever comes on my new RDX...I will take off and put the Mich. I listed.
Probably will keep the OEM's on the stock wheels and also get optional RDX wheels and mount my Mich. on them.

OEM tires, even Mich. are OK tires, but, not the best. They do watch tire costs, and that's why most all new cars have mediocre OEM tires. Some are down right terrible.
The Premier LTX is not an old tire. It's been around a 2 or 3 years max. I think you're confusing it with Michelin's LTX truck tires, which is a completely different animal.

​​​​​​https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Premier+LTX

Although the Premier LTX is the highest rated in its class on Tire Rack, I won't get into a debate about what is the "best" tire. Tires are like shoes, they have to be the right one for the task at hand, and they need to fit one's priorities (even if most people don't treat them that way). I'm a self-admitted tire snob. I had new rubber on my MKX within a month, and I chose the Premier LTX.
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (05-12-2018)
Old 05-12-2018, 02:12 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Smile 19" Tire Size??

I'm still trying to find out the tire size Acura is putting on the "non A-Spec RDX's." I have someone at my dealer trying to get the answer. If anyone out there has the correct answer that would be nice. I'm just
looking ahead if I buy the Advance model, and then what I'd do with tires/wheels etc.

If I get the answer today...I will post it.

Again, it appears from my previous post on "cost"....that there's not much difference in the pricing of 19 and 20 inch tires. At least on the Mich. I looked at.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:39 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm still trying to find out the tire size Acura is putting on the "non A-Spec RDX's." I have someone at my dealer trying to get the answer. If anyone out there has the correct answer that would be nice. I'm just
looking ahead if I buy the Advance model, and then what I'd do with tires/wheels etc.

If I get the answer today...I will post it.

Again, it appears from my previous post on "cost"....that there's not much difference in the pricing of 19 and 20 inch tires. At least on the Mich. I looked at.
The Advance was also wearing 255/45/20 Eagle RS-A's on the show floor in NY, making it possible that the 19's could also be 255's as well. They look plenty meaty in the photos. From an engineering standpoint, 255's regardless of wheel diameter makes a lot of sense.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:24 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Acura should just make all their cars look like their A-Spec trims. They always look better and I should be able to throw all the monies and get exactly what I want.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:39 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by HotRodW
The Advance was also wearing 255/45/20 Eagle RS-A's on the show floor in NY, making it possible that the 19's could also be 255's as well. They look plenty meaty in the photos. From an engineering standpoint, 255's regardless of wheel diameter makes a lot of sense.
RSAs are not as good as AS3s. Simple as that, and have had em both.
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (05-14-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A-Spec and Advance Std. features!!