Strong Sales = longer selling close to MSRP...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 10:56 AM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
Strong Sales = longer selling close to MSRP...

Automotive Minute: American-made 2019 Acura RDX delivers strong sales leading into summer

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...acura-rdx.html

Last edited by birdonamission; 07-02-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:43 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
What seems to be emerging across the board is that Acura dealers are holding the line on price, but are willing to sweeten deals via trade-in and accessories.

I am beginning to think that this is a corporate strategy. Time will tell.
The following users liked this post:
birdonamission (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 03:56 PM
Racer

Received 222 Likes on 141 Posts
If demand remains strong incentives including attractive leases will not be offered, what manufacturer would do that if they were selling a hot model. The list price is attractive from the start against many similar models so with that and the great reviews so far-i expect calendar 2018 to be similar to today.

Honda will move 40,000 units of CRV production to Marysville in a few months which will free up East Liberty to produce more RDX's. That may eventually lead to better pricing.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:57 PM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
What seems to be emerging across the board is that Acura dealers are holding the line on price, but are willing to sweeten deals via trade-in and accessories.

I am beginning to think that this is a corporate strategy. Time will tell.
I've been noticing that, too...
Old 07-11-2018, 07:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by birdonamission
I've been noticing that, too...
Greed is good!
Old 07-11-2018, 09:18 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Thumbs up Strong crossover sales

I think Acura has a big hit on it's hands. After reading the articles posted on here...their Int. sights, the 2019 is a big hit....and the A-Spec is leading the way. All models are selling, but, of the 4 the A-Spec is accounting for 50% of
the sales. My dealer is the #1 in their region....and they are moving them like crazy, and most have been A-Specs. And, apparently drawing customers from other luxury SUV's. Just what Acura wanted to do.

Now let's hope they "hold up well" being a 1st model year re-design.

I "took the chance" and apparently many other's have too.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:48 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
I cant find the sales report posted but the one I saw indicateed the A-Spec was doing well but barely ahead of the Advance and the Tech. I will try to locate it to show rhe source I was referring too. I can see the A-Spec popularity and hope it does well. I think it has most things people will expect in a new car.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:25 AM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
This was taken directly from the article linked in the OP. The first few times I read it I interpreted it as saying the A-Spec trim accounted for 50% of RDX sales, but now I’m thinking A-Spec/Advance make up the 50% :
It isn’t just the RDX base model doing well. Acura’s more premium RDX offerings, including the new A-Spec appearance package, saw hot sales in June, making up around 50 percent of Acura RDX sales. Ikeda doesn’t see that slowing down anytime soon, “Some customers – particularly younger buyers and enthusiasts – desire even more emotion with respect to styling. Our goal with A-Spec was to make every angle – interior and exterior – distinct. It’s natural early in a launch to draw-in enthusiasts, so A-Spec’s early success is not surprising. But based on the sustained success of the TLX A-Spec, we think it’s going to continue.”
Old 07-12-2018, 04:57 AM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
I think Acura has a big hit on it's hands. After reading the articles posted on here...their Int. sights, the 2019 is a big hit....and the A-Spec is leading the way. All models are selling, but, of the 4 the A-Spec is accounting for 50% of
the sales. My dealer is the #1 in their region....and they are moving them like crazy, and most have been A-Specs. And, apparently drawing customers from other luxury SUV's. Just what Acura wanted to do.

Now let's hope they "hold up well" being a 1st model year re-design.

I "took the chance" and apparently many other's have too.
I am glad the '19 RDX is a hit. Great looking vehicle, built like a rock; I will take my "chance" in December.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:57 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by pnoi521
This was taken directly from the article linked in the OP. The first few times I read it I interpreted it as saying the A-Spec trim accounted for 50% of RDX sales, but now I’m thinking A-Spec/Advance make up the 50% :
Yes, maybe he did mean both the Advance and A-Spec together make up about 50% of the sales. I know I'm waiting for Acura's "official sales numbers" whenever they come out. I do know that my Dealer's sales are right about
50% A-Specs. They have more on hand than Advances to make sure they have what the buyers are wanting. They are trying to keep supplied with approx. 30 RDX's available. Mostly Techs, Advance, then A-Spec.

I was close, at first, at wanting the Advance, but, the red interior of the A-Spec won us over. We already had a TLX A-Spec with red int...so that kind of helped make our decision. I do wish the A-Spec had the suspension system
that the Advance has.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
For those that are sitting around waiting for prices to drop it might be a long wait. From a 7/3 press release:
  • RDX sales set an all-time record for any month jumping 36.9% over June 2017 (itself a record month) on sales of 7,292 units.
  • RDX set a new monthly sales record for Acura SUVs, eclipsing the previous mark of 6,761 units set by MDX in 2014.
  • RDX sales in June were the highest monthly sales total of any Acura model in more than a decade (since the Acura TL sedan in April 2006).
  • RDX was the best-selling model in the compact luxury SUV segment and one of the top-selling luxury vehicles in America in June.
  • RDX propelled Acura to a new June light-truck sales record of 11,185 units, a 16.9 percent gain over June of last year.
Full press release: https://www.acura.com/news-and-press...ticle=10460-en
Old 07-12-2018, 08:12 PM
Drifting

I’m not ‘waiting’ for prices to drop, I am only hoping for them to do so, based on the other stuff happening in my life. Now is not a good time for me. Then we will be travelling, and will get back from Italy in mid September. The other car we are considering, the 2.0 Accord, will have its ‘19 up around then. The BMW will have an inspection in September, and we will need to decide how much life we can expect there.

Then we will shop seriously, but I expect at least two thorough RDX test drives, and a comparo Accord Touring and Accord EXL drive. I know I want about a $500/mo loan, and will come up with the cash difference to make that happen. So, assuming it is the BMW we get rid of, we need to assess whether it is one or two thousand, four or five thousand, or ten or twelve thousand to put out, and whether the difference in cars is worth the difference in price, considering that we only want a new car and don’t need one. If it doesn’t come together by mid December, we will take it all up in the spring when we get back from Florida.

Knock wood, we have choices and are on our own schedule. Which we got on by not leasing, by buying good cars, and by taking care of them. There is always a plan B. It only took us near 40 years to get to this place.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:19 PM
Burning Brakes

...considering that we only want a new car and don’t need one...
That's either the best time or the worst time to be buying - I'm not sure which. Myself, I tend to spend more when I want to versus when I need to.

...It only took us near 40 years to get to this place.
About the same time it took us - and it's a very, very good place to be.
Madd Dog (07-12-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 03:00 AM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
For those that are sitting around waiting for prices to drop it might be a long wait. From a 7/3 press release:
  • RDX sales set an all-time record for any month jumping 36.9% over June 2017 (itself a record month) on sales of 7,292 units.
  • RDX set a new monthly sales record for Acura SUVs, eclipsing the previous mark of 6,761 units set by MDX in 2014.
  • RDX sales in June were the highest monthly sales total of any Acura model in more than a decade (since the Acura TL sedan in April 2006).
  • RDX was the best-selling model in the compact luxury SUV segment and one of the top-selling luxury vehicles in America in June.
  • RDX propelled Acura to a new June light-truck sales record of 11,185 units, a 16.9 percent gain over June of last year.
Full press release: https://www.acura.com/news-and-press...ticle=10460-en
The numbers seem to include the 2018 RDX leftovers that they were clearing out at nearly a $10k discount in some locations and the 2019 model that people were willing to pay MSRP for. It would be nice to see the breakout of sales between the model years.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:54 AM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by skarface
The numbers seem to include the 2018 RDX leftovers that they were clearing out at nearly a $10k discount in some locations and the 2019 model that people were willing to pay MSRP for. It would be nice to see the breakout of sales between the model years.
nope that’s just reporting the 2019 sales. Here’s a second article stating The same numbers

https://www.drivegarber.com/blog/mod...s-first-month/
Old 07-13-2018, 09:15 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Dizzyg12

nope that’s just reporting the 2019 sales. Here’s a second article stating The same numbers

https://www.drivegarber.com/blog/mod...s-first-month/
I'm pretty sure that dealership is incorrect. The sales number they mentioned was listed as total RDX vehicles sold by Honda in June. They didn't break out the model year.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by skarface
I'm pretty sure that dealership is incorrect. The sales number they mentioned was listed as total RDX vehicles sold by Honda in June. They didn't break out the model year.
The original press release from Acura was specifically about the '19 RDX so it's reasonable that the numbers quoted would reference the same. Either way, it's a lot of RDX sales - whether it be '19 only or '18 and '19 combined.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:43 AM
Racer

Just lists RDX not only 2019. They mention that the 2019 had a great start but don't state all of the sales were 2019 models. It's total of each model sold regardless of model year. I doubt they are reporting sales of only 2019 RDXs and ignoring being able to list that they sold ~3000 2018 RDXs or whatever it was. I checked cars.com in the beginning of June and there were ~5000 2018 RDXs listed. Today, there are 2,300. I'm sure having a V6 option with huge incentives and a turbo 4 with an awesome new design option helped move a lot of units. It's almost like two completely different models for sale. Still great that they broke their own record. It'll be interesting to see what the numbers are when all of the 2018 model year RDXs are gone. Maybe another 1-2 months for the bulk of them. Seems like Acura will be selling well over 50,000 of these and maybe even hitting 65,000 a year.

The numbers from Honda are in the link below.
American Honda Sets New June Sales Records on Strength of Light Trucks - Honda News
Old 07-13-2018, 09:50 AM
Racer

I think the fact that they sold 1 crosstour in 2017 when it was discontinued in 2015 shows they are not worried about what the model year was when reporting sales lol.

I wonder which dealership still had a crosstour laying around haha.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
From the latest OnePack video, sales of the 2019 (not including the 2018) are 4581 as of July 11. The numbers from the monthly press release do include the 2018 and 2019 lumped together as most suspected.
Still good numbers and sure to improve when discounts kick in and production/inventory ramps up.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
Isn't it funny that all the people that purchased the car already predicting that prices will not drop, and all the people looking to buy it hope that prices will drop
Old 07-14-2018, 09:28 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by russianDude
Isn't it funny that all the people that purchased the car already predicting that prices will not drop, and all the people looking to buy it hope that prices will drop
The way I have been reading things is that everyone does expect prices to drop eventually. When that ‘eventually’ will happen to come about is the actual discussion. Most people want a good deal, which is a fair price without being gouged. Face it, if a couple or three thousand dollars is make or break for this Acura, you should be shopping for a less expensive car. Good, less expensive SUVs are out there; you can get a perfectly serviceable new same-size SUV for $30,000.. On the other side, if you can drive off in an X3 or Q5 that is acceptably optioned for only a few thousand more, people will consider that too.

To me, it is always the car first. At the least expensive end, we are looking at an Accord 2.0 Touring, at the other end is an X3 (but you can’t get adaptive cruise control right now), and the RDX sits right in between somewhere. When, and if, I decide to replace a car, two or three thousand dollars will not be controlling.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:45 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by quantum7
From the latest OnePack video, sales of the 2019 (not including the 2018) are 4581 as of July 11. The numbers from the monthly press release do include the 2018 and 2019 lumped together as most suspected.
Still good numbers and sure to improve when discounts kick in and production/inventory ramps up.
That lines up pretty well with the roughly 3000 2018 RDXs that disappeared from Cars.com after June. The bulk of the 2018 model should be gone by the end of this month or next if that trends continues, then it would seem logical to see some serious movement in the 2019 prices to keep the sales numbers up.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Face it, if a couple or three thousand dollars is make or break for this Acura, you should be shopping for a less expensive car.
Well, if couple thousands make someone broke I agree, Acura is not for them. But there are other kinds of people who have tons of money, but real cheap and won't pay a penny more. Its just a nature, nothing wrong with that in my mind.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:05 AM
DWG
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

The way I have been reading things is that everyone does expect prices to drop eventually. When that ‘eventually’ will happen to come about is the actual discussion. Most people want a good deal, which is a fair price without being gouged. Face it, if a couple or three thousand dollars is make or break for this Acura, you should be shopping for a less expensive car. Good, less expensive SUVs are out there; you can get a perfectly serviceable new same-size SUV for $30,000.. On the other side, if you can drive off in an X3 or Q5 that is acceptably optioned for only a few thousand more, people will consider that too.

To me, it is always the car first. At the least expensive end, we are looking at an Accord 2.0 Touring, at the other end is an X3 (but you can’t get adaptive cruise control right now), and the RDX sits right in between somewhere. When, and if, I decide to replace a car, two or three thousand dollars will not be controlling.
We are on the same page, Madd Dog. I was leaning towards an Accord Touring until I started to read about the new RDX before it came out. That got me thinking an SUV would be a nice change. We strongly prefer Honda products, and already have a 2017 CR-V (yes, the hyphen belongs there though many ignore it). If we go RDX I like the Advance, but it's a good $15K more than the Accord Touring. I just can't identify other SUV's in the $30K to $45K range that appeal to me, so I ponder Accord vs. RDX.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:21 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DWG
We are on the same page, Madd Dog. I was leaning towards an Accord Touring until I started to read about the new RDX before it came out. That got me thinking an SUV would be a nice change. We strongly prefer Honda products, and already have a 2017 CR-V (yes, the hyphen belongs there though many ignore it). If we go RDX I like the Advance, but it's a good $15K more than the Accord Touring. I just can't identify other SUV's in the $30K to $45K range that appeal to me, so I ponder Accord vs. RDX.

We have had at least one Accord in the driveway since 1989, and I had to basically demand that my wife get rid of her 2003 CR-V in 2014, so we gave the CR-V to our daughter and got a 2014 Accord. But the solidity of my BMW is at a higher level than the Accord, and I want to replace that car. The RDX is very solid, gets us AWD, and has a higher quality of material than the Accord, which is still durned good. And we like the X3. It sure looks like I am going to have to test drive the cars a few times this autumn to see if I can cross any off the list, and then decide if the price difference between the remaining contenders is worth it. I feel a little trapped in my own frugality, which I really needed in my raising a family and working years.

I used to tell my dearly departed mother-in-law that when you spent your life saving for a rainy day, it is important to know when it is raining. She told me she took that to heart, and went on to get the most out of her remaining years. My wife is now telling me that it is drizzling.
a35tl (07-19-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 10:28 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I agree with Dog and actually had the same mindset as DWG regarding the Accord. It wasn’t until I decided AWD was a must-have and a bit more room that I jumped to the RDX.
My situation having a non-Acura lease with a poor residual ties my hands with regard to timing. I don’t have the luxury of waiting and in the end a few thousand for what I want now isn’t going to kill me. And I do think the value is there with RDX.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:32 AM
DWG
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

We have had at least one Accord in the driveway since 1989, and I had to basically demand that my wife get rid of her 2003 CR-V in 2014, so we gave the CR-V to our daughter and got a 2014 Accord. ....I feel a little trapped in my own frugality, which I really needed in my raising a family and working years.

Same, we have had a series of Hondas that we pass on to our children. I appreciate your "trapped in my own frugality" comment, it is well articulated and describes my situation more than I realized. I will likely end up with an RDX, it will just take some time for me to adjust to spending the additional money over an Accord.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Decisions, decisions.... depend on your priories in life and how much money you have.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:06 AM
Burning Brakes

I used to tell my dearly departed mother-in-law that when you spent your life saving for a rainy day, it is important to know when it is raining. She told me she took that to heart, and went on to get the most out of her remaining years. My wife is now telling me that it is drizzling.
There is a lot of truth to that. Like you, and many others, I spent a major portion of my life raising a family, buying a house, saving for retirement, etc. When the family was raised, the house paid for, an expensive divorce behind me, and getting married again it had become second nature to live well within my income stream and continue saving.

After retirement when my income was more than halved I found I was still saving money on a year to year basis (it helps to get totally out of debt beforehand), the behavior had become that ingrained - WHY? Now is the time to be spending my money in a way I see fit otherwise someone else will spend it for me after I'm gone - thus I'm buying an RDX now because I want to. It's also the first time in my life I've bought a first year, clean sheet design vehicle. Will there be some glitches and gremlins?... likely. Will they be the end of the world?... nope, but if they're bad enough I'll just spend some more of my money.

So to those that are thinking that a better deal can be had by waiting until the end of the year, keep in mind that an even better deal can be had 6 months after that when the '20s come out - but there are no assurances that you'll be around to take advantage of them.

Over the years many 'elder citizens' have told me they very seldom regretted the things they did, but almost always regretted those they didn't. Life is short and uncertain - take advantage of what you can when you can.

Last edited by MI-RDX; 07-14-2018 at 11:08 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by MI-RDX:
a35tl (07-19-2018), billyt1963 (07-14-2018), Madd Dog (07-15-2018), Rolf65 (07-17-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 12:32 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
There is a lot of truth to that. Like you, and many others, I spent a major portion of my life raising a family, buying a house, saving for retirement, etc. When the family was raised, the house paid for, an expensive divorce behind me, and getting married again it had become second nature to live well within my income stream and continue saving.

After retirement when my income was more than halved I found I was still saving money on a year to year basis (it helps to get totally out of debt beforehand), the behavior had become that ingrained - WHY? Now is the time to be spending my money in a way I see fit otherwise someone else will spend it for me after I'm gone - thus I'm buying an RDX now because I want to. It's also the first time in my life I've bought a first year, clean sheet design vehicle. Will there be some glitches and gremlins?... likely. Will they be the end of the world?... nope, but if they're bad enough I'll just spend some more of my money.

So to those that are thinking that a better deal can be had by waiting until the end of the year, keep in mind that an even better deal can be had 6 months after that when the '20s come out - but there are no assurances that you'll be around to take advantage of them.

Over the years many 'elder citizens' have told me they very seldom regretted the things they did, but almost always regretted those they didn't. Life is short and uncertain - take advantage of what you can when you can.
the old mantra that you can’t take it with you holds true. I want to be able to set my kids up for success, meaning give them the opportunity to get the education they deserve. I also want to give them the opportunities I never had. And in doing so make sure to show them the value of money and hard work. Beyond that, I have only one life. Why not live it!