Some praise for the sequential transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 09:18 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Some praise for the sequential transmission

I did a lot of research on my RDX before I bought it, and something I never saw mentioned was the D/S transmission button. I had to read through the owner's manual after I bought the car to learn that pressing the button a second time puts the transmission into sequential mode, and it makes a world of difference. One of the biggest reasons I wanted more power from my last car was having enough speed to safely merge onto the freeway on a short on-ramp. Sequential mode makes it easy. Any time I take an on-ramp, I hit the button and it holds the gear longer, going through every gear, and gives me the confidence I need to safely get in between existing traffic. Once I'm up to speed, I tap it again to go back into Drive and keep the MPGs reasonable.

I've found it's a very useful feature that's often overlooked.
The following users liked this post:
NJMaverick (03-26-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 09:44 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
It's not "sequential" until you pull a paddle shifter. In "S" mode ( AKA Sport mode, but this conflicts with the "dynamic modes" ), it's just an automatic transmission with more aggressive shift points. It can downshift multiple gears at once if necessary.

If you use the paddle shifters, it will behave as a robotized manual transmission ( manumatic ), shifting through the gears one at a time... sequentially. This is called "manual sequential" mode or "manual sport-shift" mode depending in where you look.

( Porsche calls this "Tiptronic", but if anyone else wants to call it that they have to pay Porsche a royalty for using their trademark. Might be worth it. )

The Owner's Manual makes this as clear as mud.

Twisting the "dynamic mode" dial clockwise to "Sport+" will also make the drivetrain behave more aggressively, and this can be combined with "S" transmission mode to take it to the next level.

In any transmission mode or dynamic mode, the drivetrain controllers will intervene to prevent stalling or over-revving the engine.

Last edited by Wander; 03-25-2019 at 09:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Marino Moutafis (03-25-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 07:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,416 Likes on 1,868 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
( Porsche calls this "Tiptronic", but if anyone else wants to call it that they have to pay Porsche a royalty for using their trademark. Might be worth it).
Fun fact, Audi, VW, SEAT, and Skoda all call theirs tiptronic too since they’re all part of VW. Even Bentley used to use that name.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:17 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
On a trip to Italy this past summer, I drove a Ferrari around Maranello. When I was approaching the car, I asked if it had a stick shift. (One of their drivers accompanies you), and the sign-up guy said No, they are easy to drive. I, OTOH was disappointed. Until I got in and saw the paddles. Use the paddles once, and you must use them always unless you reset them. The steering wheel has LEDs at the top rim reminding you to shift as you approach redline.

That car needs a HUD as I never took my eyes off the road to look at the instruments.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:09 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
The Owner's Manual makes this as clear as mud.
You got that right. It explains some things like the logic and behavior of the transmission but no details on how D/S relates to each of the dynamic mode. I'm still experimenting but the dynamic modes mostly seem to affect the steering and suspension. But they also affect the transmission. Differently depending on whether you're in D or S.

And then, there are the paddle shifters. They operate a little differently in each mode.

The only time the actual gear is displayed is if you use a paddle. I'd like to have that displayed all the time, even during auto operation. Or be able to turn it on, if I could. I'd find that more useful than the accelerometer. (Although the turbo and vector displays are cool looking.)
Old 03-26-2019, 03:14 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
You got that right. It explains some things like the logic and behavior of the transmission but no details on how D/S relates to each of the dynamic mode. I'm still experimenting but the dynamic modes mostly seem to affect the steering and suspension. But they also affect the transmission. Differently depending on whether you're in D or S.

And then, there are the paddle shifters. They operate a little differently in each mode.

The only time the actual gear is displayed is if you use a paddle. I'd like to have that displayed all the time, even during auto operation. Or be able to turn it on, if I could. I'd find that more useful than the accelerometer. (Although the turbo and vector displays are cool looking.)
If you really want to delve into Honda/Acura Speak, if you use a paddle shifter while the transmission is in "D", you enter "D-paddle" shift mode.

In this mode, the transmission will display and hold the manually selected gear until the controllers detect that you haven't shifted for a while and the vehicle is cruising at steady speed. Then it will resume normal automatic "D" operation and cancel the gear display.

Interestingly, according to the manual, it can downshift either one or two gears when you enter "D-paddle" shift mode with the left "-" paddle. I wasn't previously aware of this. There are a whole lot of gears to choose from...

In "S" mode, once you pull a paddle you're locked into sequential mode until you toggle the "D/S" button or pull and hold the right paddle shifter for a few seconds. ( Or shut off the car ).

Old 03-26-2019, 03:22 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts
The only time I go from D to S is when I'm going down a long, steep grade. It usually keeps my speed constant (usually 72 mph) without the use of brakes or the paddle shifters.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:30 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
On a trip to Italy this past summer, I drove a Ferrari around Maranello. When I was approaching the car, I asked if it had a stick shift. (One of their drivers accompanies you), and the sign-up guy said No, they are easy to drive. I, OTOH was disappointed. Until I got in and saw the paddles. Use the paddles once, and you must use them always unless you reset them. The steering wheel has LEDs at the top rim reminding you to shift as you approach redline.

That car needs a HUD as I never took my eyes off the road to look at the instruments.
About the only time I use the paddles is if I'm lucky enough to be playing in a pass in the mountains.

Paddles are nice unless you feel the need to use them in the middle of a hairpin curve. Then things get interesting. Fortunately, the controller will downshift on its own before you stall the silly car.

I think a better design allows use of either the paddles or a sideways motion of the shift lever. Assuming a shift lever exists.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:42 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by B25Nut
The only time I go from D to S is when I'm going down a long, steep grade. It usually keeps my speed constant (usually 72 mph) without the use of brakes or the paddle shifters.
I tried engine braking once but it didn't work like I expected. I did it with the left paddle (I was probably in D) and down-shifted at least two gears but the engine just rev'd almost to the VTEC RPM. The car didn't really slow down much and I just started tapping the brakes. Next time I'll try switching to S.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:19 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
I tried engine braking once but it didn't work like I expected. I did it with the left paddle (I was probably in D) and down-shifted at least two gears but the engine just rev'd almost to the VTEC RPM. The car didn't really slow down much and I just started tapping the brakes. Next time I'll try switching to S.
This is a little 4-banger we're talking about, not a diesel V8. And it's a two-ton SUV, not a Lotus.

Engine braking is useful for controlling speed on long descents in the mountains so you don't overheat the friction brakes. But I wouldn't expect it to dramatically slow this vehicle.

Also, be careful about attempting compression braking in slippery conditions. The AWD system on this vehicle won't transfer reverse torque to the rear wheels. So ALL the compression braking is at the front wheels.

Last edited by Wander; 03-27-2019 at 02:22 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:25 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Yeah, compression braking in the 2.0 is mild, for sure. I still use it on long grades, but I don’t downshift past the 4K mark on the rev counter.

I have no scientific reason for this, I just do it. Call me MaddCap.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 03-27-2019 at 04:33 PM.