Software Update Status - Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 01:05 PM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by DWG
I wouldn't expect the 2020 models to arrive until the fall. What makes you think they will arrive in June?
Because I bought my 2019 RDX in June 2018 and the 2020 Mercedes GLE is ALREADY available
The following users liked this post:
katherinelpham (08-24-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 02:10 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
For Honda/Acura, newly introduced or redesigned models ( so-called full model change or FMC ), tend to be released in the spring.

Otherwise, model year releases usually happen in the fall.

This might have something to do with the winter/spring auto shows. Get the buzz going, then push the product.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:25 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
are we still talking about " Software Update Status - Android Auto " in this thread?
Old 03-14-2019, 02:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Meto
A fun issue of mine is that I like to listen to talk radio on AM, but every time I get a phone call and finish the call, the radio is no longer available period. Even if you turn the system off and then back on.
That's not Acura's fault. It's your phone eating up the AM band.

Last edited by acuraada; 03-14-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Yotrek
are we still talking about " Software Update Status - Android Auto " in this thread?
Well. Acura doesn't give us much to talk about right? So we diverged and wait
Old 03-14-2019, 05:10 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by acuraada
Well. Acura doesn't give us much to talk about right? So we diverged and wait
Count me in the long list of people waiting for Android Auto to be implemented, as promised.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:49 PM
Drifting

There seems to be an assumption that Acura is under pressure to introduce Android Auto in 2020 RDX and that it will be available for OTA update to 2019 RDX after 2020 RDX is released, if not sooner.

Whether this idea has merit, I don't know.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:51 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 rdx aa

The official acura site for the 2020 rdx has removed android auto from the feature list. Has apple carplay but looks like aa is gone from the spec sheet. I suspect they won't be providing aa anytime soon
Old 05-04-2019, 03:05 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Android Auto is now in the 2020 Owners Manual (page 237). Is not in the 2019 Manual
Old 05-05-2019, 02:56 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
No reference to Android Auto on Acura.com

Originally Posted by RobinL
Android Auto is now in the 2020 Owners Manual (page 237). Is not in the 2019 Manual
the 2020 specs are online: https://www.acura.com/rdx/pricing-and-specs
Old 05-05-2019, 04:27 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
IMO, if Android Auto is very important to you, I would not buy the car until AA was active.

I don’t use carplay as much as I thought I might, but when I was car shopping, I was determined to switch from Apple to Android if Apple did not allow WAZE and Google Maps in Carplay when the time came to buy.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:13 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
FWIW my wife is buying a 2019 pilot and the salesman said the android auto is not nearly as good as Apple CarPlay.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:03 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Dizzyg12
FWIW my wife is buying a 2019 pilot and the salesman said the android auto is not nearly as good as Apple CarPlay.
I think Carplay is not that great. The Acura nav looks better and meets my normal needs, while it is only when I specifically need GM or Waze that I use carplay for nav, and the graphics suck, and much of the screen is taken up with other stuff. I don’t use Apple Music, so I don’t use Siri for playlists, and with XM radio and bluetooth streaming, I rarely even plug my phone in. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad I have it, but I find myself not using it much.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:35 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
In general, Android Auto runs rings around CarPlay - unless a car doesn't support AA properly - in which case CarPlay is always better according to the salesman.
acuraada (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 02:12 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
While I understand the ball is mostly in Google's court to make it compatible with the new touch pad type system in the RDX it's unfortunate that a year after launch there is still no word when this will be available. Of course Google is notoriously slow on these types of things, but still no excuse why it's taken Google over a year and they still have nothing to show for it. Same story with the Infiniti QX50, shortly after launch engineers "promised" that AA and CP were coming "soon" but here we are a year later without a peep in the meantime.

At least with the RDX I still have faith that Acura/Google will EVENTUALLY release AA, it just being a matter of when (although that's right now, if still not ready by the end of the year I might change my tune) . Can't say the same for Infiniti as they haven't made either AA or CP available for anything in their lineup yet and haven't been any official announcements either way.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:23 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Not sure if this was posted yet but I wonder if the redesign plays a factor in the hold up of AA.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/0...5Uw_KWGp0VzM4w
Old 05-06-2019, 07:47 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by starlord
Not sure if this was posted yet but I wonder if the redesign plays a factor in the hold up of AA.

When I read about the new design I immediately thought the same. Acura was waiting for Google. Google was waiting to release the full ui redesign. Makes sense to do so.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hockeyaddict
When I read about the new design I immediately thought the same. Acura was waiting for Google. Google was waiting to release the full ui redesign. Makes sense to do so.
Er... Sound familiar?

Google doesn't have a specific launch date for the new Android Auto. All we know is it will come to your phone "later this summer."
Old 05-06-2019, 08:26 PM
Instructor

Er... Sound familiar?

Google doesn't have a specific launch date for the new Android Auto. All we know is it will come to your phone "later this summer."
I've had zero issues with the infotainment so I am ok waiting a couple more months. AA is just icing on the cake for me.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:22 AM
Racer

Er... Sound familiar?

Only thing is it's much bigger then that for Google, as they need to create the capability for AA to be operated via the touch pad/track pad interface in the RDX. So it's creating support for an entirely new style of interface. While the redesign likely played some part in this the bigger piece is this new interface. Hopefully both roll out together "this summer"; which could be anytime from June-September basically.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:14 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
and you believed your salesmen?
Old 05-07-2019, 09:21 AM
Burning Brakes

and you believed your salesmen?
Except it's Honda Pilot which has both AA and Carplay. Really no reason for the salesmen to taunt one over another.

Still, in majority of implementation, AA is superior than Carplay.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:29 AM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by starlord

I wouldn't think that would be a factor since the vehicle doesn't do any processing for AA/ACP - it just serves as an input device and display device for the connected smartphone. Apple and Google could change their graphics and apps every day and nothing needs to be done to the vehicle to accommodate such changes - this is one of the fundamental advantages of AA/ACP.

If AA were implemented in the RDX using today's AA interface, nothing should need to be done to the vehicle for future AA changes.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:21 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I keep checking these forums hoping that one day I will see AA finally released. In 2016 I leased my second RDX (2016 model as they were clearing out stock and I got a great deal on it rather than the 2017) and, at the time, I was hoping that it would have AA since some models of Honda had it IIRC. It didn't so I consoled myself that perhaps with my next lease I'd finally have it. I was ecstatic last year to see that it was announced as being a feature of the redesigned RDX.

Fast forward to release and I was disappointed that it was not included but kept telling myself that I still had almost a year left until my contract was up so it would hopefully but updated by then.

I like the RDX enough that last week I got a 2019 SH-AWD Advance.

The nav is an upgrade from my prior model but does not compare with Google Maps. It's not a deal breaker but Google Maps is just so superior. I went a state over to get the lease as they offered me a significant savings so I was in very unfamiliar territory. When I left the dealership, I loaded both the built-in nav and Google Maps on my phone. The routing on Maps was much better.

Still holding out hope but as time goes on it seems less and less likely even though the 2020 manual talks about it...
Old 05-07-2019, 04:52 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by bobby2478
While I understand the ball is mostly in Google's court to make it compatible with the new touch pad type system in the RDX it's unfortunate that a year after launch there is still no word when this will be available. Of course Google is notoriously slow on these types of things, but still no excuse why it's taken Google over a year and they still have nothing to show for it. Same story with the Infiniti QX50, shortly after launch engineers "promised" that AA and CP were coming "soon" but here we are a year later without a peep in the meantime.

At least with the RDX I still have faith that Acura/Google will EVENTUALLY release AA, it just being a matter of when (although that's right now, if still not ready by the end of the year I might change my tune) . Can't say the same for Infiniti as they haven't made either AA or CP available for anything in their lineup yet and haven't been any official announcements either way.
Why do you think it is Google's issue?

If a manufacturer uses hardware that is incompatible with Windows 10, then it is that manufacturer's issue - not Microsoft's.

This is squarely Honda/Acura's responsibility to fix.

Android works fine with touchpads and if Acura had made their touchpad to standards then it would work fine.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ceb

If a manufacturer uses hardware that is incompatible with Windows 10, then it is that manufacturer's issue - not Microsoft's.

Android works fine with touchpads and if Acura had made their touchpad to standards then it would work fine.

This is an unique issue and created by Acura by going with a new design of interface that doesn't conform to standards. The ask is for Google to include these inputs on their side.

Android auto doesn't allow 3rd party device driver, they have would have to incorporate these on their end.

Yes it's a problem created by Acura and it's asking Google to conform, that's why it's taking this much time.

For Acura to fix it, they would have to throw away TTI or include a touch screen like everyone else.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:51 PM
Instructor

Acura is using a completely different input system. AA has to recognize these new controls for it to understand what the user wants to do. It makes complete sense for Google developers to build the support for various new screen sizes and the tti in their new interface.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:53 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict
Acura is using a completely different input system. AA has to recognize these new controls for it to understand what the user wants to do. It makes complete sense for Google developers to build the support for various new screen sizes and the tti in their new interface.
It would have made more sense for Acura to make sure there was support for a new system before implementing it. I may be wrong but I remember reading something on these forums that Acura even had to implement a work around to get Car Play to work properly. In the grand scheme of things, one auto maker is unlikely to be a huge priority for Google to focus their efforts on. I wish it wasn't so because I really, really want Android Auto to be implemented.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:15 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Semli
It would have made more sense for Acura to make sure there was support for a new system before implementing it. I may be wrong but I remember reading something on these forums that Acura even had to implement a work around to get Car Play to work properly. In the grand scheme of things, one auto maker is unlikely to be a huge priority for Google to focus their efforts on. I wish it wasn't so because I really, really want Android Auto to be implemented.
Correct. This is Acura's screw-up and that can't be sugar coated. Yes, they can go to Google for help but it is still their screw-up.

You can't expect Google to anticipate everything any manufacturer may do and design their systems for that.

What they can (and do) do, is create a standard, publish that standard and expect 3rd party manufactures to work within those standards.

Acura should have never designed a system that didn't work with AA in this day and age. They certainly never should have uttered the words Android Auto until they had a working system.

Is this a deal breaker? Probably not, but combined with the other infotainment issues it certainly gives me pause.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:37 PM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
I find it interesting that the RDX is compatible with Apple CarPlay, but not Android Auto considering how closed iOS is and how open Android is.

Obviously, Apple and Honda worked together to create a solution for the RDX's unique input method. Why not Google and Honda?

Actually, as I typed this I remembered the True Touchpad Interface doesn't work the same way within CarPlay as it does natively. When using CarPlay, the touchpad operates as a directional control instead of a 1:1 mapped device. Perhaps CarPlay already had accommodations for a trackpad while Android Auto only supports touchscreens.

The newest Lexus models with trackpads aren't compatible with Android Auto, either. Toyota has committed to offer it on some 2020 models, but Lexus hasn't.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:41 PM
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
All Acura has to do is program the system to switch to standard trackpad pointer mode when it detects and launches the Android Auto app. It already does that for Apple Carplay. I don't understand what the big deal is.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by samiam_68
All Acura has to do is program the system to switch to standard trackpad pointer mode when it detects and launches the Android Auto app. It already does that for Apple Carplay. I don't understand what the big deal is.
AA will likely have true touch. There was an article back in January which highlighted various challenges for android auto. Among them, acuras relative positioning was explicitly mentioned.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:30 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I don't get is, how is this different than a regular touchscreen? It's the same thing, but the input is removed from the screen and located somewhere else. How is it difficult for them to get it to work on an Android-based platform? Also, Acura did promise AA by the end of 2018 in the features/press releases for the RDX last year.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:55 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
As much as I want Android Auto, and I DO believe it will come to the RDX, and I will cheer the day it arrives, I am not panicked, or angry with either Acura or Google. I really like the RDX, and I bought a vent cell phone holder, and use Android Auto there. Very easy...I have set AA to automatically launch while out of my pocket and in the car...In fact, I will likely keep the holder when AA does come, as it is a very easy holder to use, and a convenient place to put my phone while charging in the car.
birdonamission (05-08-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 11:57 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by thefrayedone
What I don't get is, how is this different than a regular touchscreen? It's the same thing, but the input is removed from the screen and located somewhere else. How is it difficult for them to get it to work on an Android-based platform? Also, Acura did promise AA by the end of 2018 in the features/press releases for the RDX last year.
As was previously pointed out to me by a developer, the nature of the interface is different because you need to "touch, slide, and press" to locate and activate a True Touchpad soft button, vs aim and push on a touchscreen. There's more to it than just absolute vs relative positioning.

As for AA on the phone in a holder, what are the benefits of that vs just using the standard phone interface for the relevant apps? Bigger fonts and chunky buttons? I'm guessing it's not even worth trying with a pocket-size phone.

As an aside, will tablet-size smart-phones bring back cargo pants for civilian use, or will they resurrect the abomination of the man-purse, which has been quietly lying in wait since the demise of the bag phone?

( And for anyone who says "diaper bag", been there done that, but it's a really shitty idea ).

Last edited by Wander; 05-08-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Look at the new layout of AA. Does it look like TTI would work well?

Even with mouse track mode, moving the pointers to the smaller icons and scrolling vertically would be a challenge. These systems are really designed for a touch screen.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:39 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
As for AA on the phone in a holder, what are the benefits of that vs just using the standard phone interface for the relevant apps? Bigger fonts and chunky buttons? I'm guessing it's not even worth trying with a pocket-size phone.

...).
Well, it allows me to voice reply (hands free) to incoming texts, for one. For tow, it provided WAZE and Google maps...so yeah, for me, it is a work around until AA decides to show up.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:54 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ceb

Android Auto is Google's software and is only able to work with certain interfaces. Acura came up with a new interface for the RDX, so in order for Android Auto to work with this new interface Google needs to build support for it first. That is the ONLY reason why it isn't available yet. Google needs to build functionality allowing Android Auto to be controlled by Acura's new interface in the RDX. Acura doesn't control the Android Auto software so that part is on Google, nothing Acura can do about it.

I personally like Acura's approach to interface with the new RDX. Touchscreens require you to take your eyes off the road to interact with the system, and also require you to reach to touch the screen itself, which absolutely distracts you from paying attention to driving. The new RDX interface allows you to control by touch, only shifting your eyes slightly to see the screen at the top of the dash, and the touchpad is able to be easily reached without reaching for it. While touchscreen is nice in some regards, it is a problem for distracted driving. I feel over time touchscreens will be phased out and gradually replaced with systems like Acura's in conjunction with better AI allowing it to be controlled by voice as well.

Funny enough this is essentially this is the same thing that rotary input systems (like the MDX, Audi MMI, etc) attempted to do, but it was problematic using a rotary dial for everything. Europeans were against touchscreens for the longest time and now are all going in on touchscreen (Volvo, Audi is replacing rotary with touchscreens, etc) while Acura seems to be looking ahead and trying to help combat the problem of distracted driving.

Last edited by bobby2478; 05-08-2019 at 12:08 PM.
TheLevelOne (05-08-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 02:22 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by bobby2478
Android Auto is Google's software and is only able to work with certain interfaces. Acura came up with a new interface for the RDX, so in order for Android Auto to work with this new interface Google needs to build support for it first. That is the ONLY reason why it isn't available yet. Google needs to build functionality allowing Android Auto to be controlled by Acura's new interface in the RDX. Acura doesn't control the Android Auto software so that part is on Google, nothing Acura can do about it.

I personally like Acura's approach to interface with the new RDX. Touchscreens require you to take your eyes off the road to interact with the system, and also require you to reach to touch the screen itself, which absolutely distracts you from paying attention to driving. The new RDX interface allows you to control by touch, only shifting your eyes slightly to see the screen at the top of the dash, and the touchpad is able to be easily reached without reaching for it. While touchscreen is nice in some regards, it is a problem for distracted driving. I feel over time touchscreens will be phased out and gradually replaced with systems like Acura's in conjunction with better AI allowing it to be controlled by voice as well.

Funny enough this is essentially this is the same thing that rotary input systems (like the MDX, Audi MMI, etc) attempted to do, but it was problematic using a rotary dial for everything. Europeans were against touchscreens for the longest time and now are all going in on touchscreen (Volvo, Audi is replacing rotary with touchscreens, etc) while Acura seems to be looking ahead and trying to help combat the problem of distracted driving.
that's certainly a different way to look at it. If Dell decides (in a vacuum) to build a computer that requires the use of three mice and a bowl of Wheaties to operate, then - according to your theory - it is Microsoft's responsibility to build the interface.

It is even far worse if Dell announces that their new computer will require three mice and that bowl of Wheaties and that it will debut in 2018 - all before apparently ever speaking with Microsoft.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ceb
that's certainly a different way to look at it. If Dell decides (in a vacuum) to build a computer that requires the use of three mice and a bowl of Wheaties to operate, then - according to your theory - it is Microsoft's responsibility to build the interface.

It is even far worse if Dell announces that their new computer will require three mice and that bowl of Wheaties and that it will debut in 2018 - all before apparently ever speaking with Microsoft.
Seriously. All I'm saying is software is built to support certain interfaces. Android Auto software right now WAS NOT CREATED to be controlled by the type of interface in the new RDX. Acura didn't create Android Auto so there is nothing Acura can do to fix it. Yes Acura came up with a new interface that Android Auto didn't support. That's why they've been working together to launch Android Auto on the new RDX. But that doesnt' change the fact that the software that Google owns currently doesn't support the new interface in the RDX. It's the same premise if Windows introduced some new way of interacting with the operating system beyond touch screen and keyboard/mouse. Even if Microsoft in your analogy incorporates that new interface into Windows any 3rd party software (which Microsoft doesn't own and it's not their responsibility to change) would be on the hook to change their software to make it compatible with the new way of interacting with the software (which is the "interface").

Argue all you want, it doesn't change the simple fact that Google is working on a fix (as they have been for the past year) and there hasn't been any official communication about when it will be available. You can be upset that here we are a year in and it still isn't available, that's fair. Just saying being mad or yelling at Acura won't magically address anything as in this case Acura isn't able to fix it on their own. They need Google to do their part, and Google is working on it.

Last edited by bobby2478; 05-08-2019 at 03:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Software Update Status - Android Auto