Software Update Status - Android Auto

Old 01-29-2019, 06:45 PM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
Software Update Status - Android Auto

I will preface this with hopes that someone has heard something different.

After two months of "Working My Issue" concerning the issues with the Infotainment System and the status of Android Auto (I was told February by this same person a month ago) , I was told the following:

There will be no software updates for at least 6 months and there is no further status on Android Auto.

As for me, I continue to have major issues with the system blacking out, USB Audio always returning to the first song on the drive and locking on the song (I even created a brand new USB drive and re-loaded my music).

The worst offender is the navigation system which always leads you into traffic jams, always points you "towards" something instead of giving you an exit number and is full of other issues like the inability to name a destination and the "send to car" function does not work on the app unless the car is started.

I'm in a rough place as I have been waiting months on a resolution and in the meantime I have accumulated enough miles that I will lose substantial money via trade-in for something else.

Really beating myself up right now and my dealership and Acura refuse to do anything.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:50 PM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
If you traded in the RDX, which car would you replace it with?
Old 01-30-2019, 07:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Meto
...concerning the issues with the Infotainment System and the status of Android Auto (I was told February by this same person a month ago) , I was told the following:

There will be no software updates for at least 6 months and there is no further status on Android Auto....
A month ago he/she told you February (which isn't even here yet) and now it's nothing for at least 6 months. What makes him/her correct this time?

Old 01-30-2019, 07:31 AM
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 68 Posts
2 sales guys at my dealer told me Android coming "sometime this month" and "early 2019".

Who's the person that told you this (Acura corporate or dealer employee)? I'm planning to buy a 19 RDX closer to summer - definitely hope AA is available by then.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:34 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by jayb082
2 sales guys at my dealer told me Android coming "sometime this month"...
I was also told that Android Auto is coming "sometime this month" by 2 different Acura sales guys. But that was several months ago.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:37 AM
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Sounds
I was also told that Android Auto is coming "sometime this month" by 2 different Acura sales guys. But that was several months ago.
Great...I sure hope they figure it out and get it working soon. The car has been out for 6+ months!
Old 01-30-2019, 08:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Just remember that it's supposedly Google that is holding up the implementation of AA
Old 01-30-2019, 08:40 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have an iPhone 8 and have never used CarPlay; obviously I have no need for Android Auto. That said, I was wondering if the RDX has AT&T Wi-Fi why can’t you connect to CP and/or AA via the AT&T Wi-Fi and skip the wired connection?
Old 01-30-2019, 08:59 AM
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by 2019RDX
I have an iPhone 8 and have never used CarPlay; obviously I have no need for Android Auto. That said, I was wondering if the RDX has AT&T Wi-Fi why can’t you connect to CP and/or AA via the AT&T Wi-Fi and skip the wired connection?
Acura would have to have the head unit setup for wireless connectivity (extra coding for the connection to work). Just having a Wifi connection doesn't mean CP or AA will work.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by markm929
Acura would have to have the head unit setup for wireless connectivity (extra coding for the connection to work). Just having a Wifi connection doesn't mean CP or AA will work.
It's more than connectivity. CP and AA would have to be able to support it. It is supposedly on the roadmap.

As for Acura and dealers,. Dealers will say anything to get a sales. One dealer told me when I was test driving that AA is on the latest Dec update. I promptly went to my car and grabbed the cable to test. His face turned immediately red and fumbled to say it's coming.

Never make your purchase decision on "coming features" . Buy the car based on today's feature with little expectation.

If AA is a must, wait or move on to other vehicle.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:36 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by skarface
If you traded in the RDX, which car would you replace it with?
I have been looking at the Cadillac XT4 and Volvo XC60

I will lose my ass on a trade, so I may talk to them, but I seriously doubt I want to lose a significant amount of money
Old 01-30-2019, 10:36 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by acuraada
It's more than connectivity. CP and AA would have to be able to support it. It is supposedly on the roadmap.

As for Acura and dealers,. Dealers will say anything to get a sales. One dealer told me when I was test driving that AA is on the latest Dec update. I promptly went to my car and grabbed the cable to test. His face turned immediately red and fumbled to say it's coming.

Never make your purchase decision on "coming features" . Buy the car based on today's feature with little expectation.

I agree.. I feel like a fool and am really upset right now
Old 01-30-2019, 10:37 AM
Racer

2 sales guys at my dealer told me Android coming "sometime this month" and "early 2019".

Who's the person that told you this (Acura corporate or dealer employee)? I'm planning to buy a 19 RDX closer to summer - definitely hope AA is available by then.
This was the District Service Manager for the Midwest region for Acura who told me he spoke with the technical team at Acura
Old 01-30-2019, 10:52 AM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Google is working on it I Guess

Was reading a recent article on Google progress on Android in the car and it seems Google is at least aware. They mentioned acura has the relative positioning touchpad interface so maybe they are working on it lol. Very good article to read by the way to see where we are headed.
The only annoying thing is no time line is given.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/25/18196234/google-android-auto-in-car-systems-apple-carplay-interview

Does that present any challenges? Because for the tech-obsessed, it’s nice to see these car manufacturers coming out with bigger screens, and we’re not at a point where we’re doing resistive touchscreens anymore really. The technology’s catching up. Whether or not you really love having a giant screen in your car is a separate conversation. But does that present a challenge in having all of these form factors, or do you have that pretty well figured out at this point?

The screen size and the orientation and shape is one complexity. But then there’s also — Acura has a touchpad, right? You have relative and you have absolute touchpad. There’s rotary controllers. You have touchscreens. You have all these different input methods. So it definitely is a challenge. You know we have motorcycle manufacturers that want to ship Android Auto, and they’re going to be just driven with a D-pad.

Originally Posted by Meto
I will preface this with hopes that someone has heard something different.

After two months of "Working My Issue" concerning the issues with the Infotainment System and the status of Android Auto (I was told February by this same person a month ago) , I was told the following:

There will be no software updates for at least 6 months and there is no further status on Android Auto.

As for me, I continue to have major issues with the system blacking out, USB Audio always returning to the first song on the drive and locking on the song (I even created a brand new USB drive and re-loaded my music).

The worst offender is the navigation system which always leads you into traffic jams, always points you "towards" something instead of giving you an exit number and is full of other issues like the inability to name a destination and the "send to car" function does not work on the app unless the car is started.

I'm in a rough place as I have been waiting months on a resolution and in the meantime I have accumulated enough miles that I will lose substantial money via trade-in for something else.

Really beating myself up right now and my dealership and Acura refuse to do anything.

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Just remember that it's supposedly Google that is holding up the implementation of AA

Last edited by narutoninjakid; 01-30-2019 at 10:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NooYawkuh (02-26-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 11:43 AM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
1. Shame on anyone who buys a car based on a verbal promise rather than a written guarantee of something to come.

2. Honda needs to fix existing features before they even think about adding a new feature.
The following 2 users liked this post by zroger73:
Madd Dog (01-31-2019), oz13ms (02-06-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 12:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by zroger73
1. Shame on anyone who buys a car based on a verbal promise rather than a written guarantee of something to come.
I actually asked for this when a sales guy told me Android Auto was coming to the RDX "later this month." I told him that if he can give me a money back guarantee, in writing, I'd buy the car today. (It was easy for me to make this statement since I knew he couldn't & wouldn't give me that guarantee.) He of course said NO.
zroger73 (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 01:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by zroger73

2. Honda needs to fix existing features before they even think about adding a new feature.
I agree.. Shame on me and I am beating myself up about it as I never usually trust anyone... especially salesmen
Old 01-31-2019, 01:13 AM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Worst case scenario for the tech obsessed: you buy a decent mount and stick your favorite smartphone on the dash, with its well designed touchscreen interface within easy reach. Or even ( gasp! ) a stand-alone GPS receiver.

https://www.proclipusa.com/product/8...-console-mount

Not saying this isn't a problem, but viable alternatives do exist.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wander:
JB in AZ (01-31-2019), salty (02-03-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 09:45 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
Worst case scenario for the tech obsessed: you buy a decent mount and stick your favorite smartphone on the dash, with its well designed touchscreen interface within easy reach. Or even ( gasp! ) a stand-alone GPS receiver.

That's exactly what I did. Based on another Acurazine user's thread, I bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGC2VGX/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGC2VGX/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Honestly, I tried various vent mounts in my '08 TL and hated all of them. But this one works flawlessly. I drop my phone in there, plug it in if necessary, and Android Auto automatically launches (on my phone) based on my bluetooth connection. This set up has definitely curtailed my desire for an infotainment based Android Auto application. Although I am STILL waiting (somewhat) patiently for the software update....
JB in AZ (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 10:03 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by rfbarry19
That's exactly what I did. Based on another Acurazine user's thread, I bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGC2VGX/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Honestly, I tried various vent mounts in my '08 TL and hated all of them. But this one works flawlessly. I drop my phone in there, plug it in if necessary, and Android Auto automatically launches (on my phone) based on my bluetooth connection. This set up has definitely curtailed my desire for an infotainment based Android Auto application. Although I am STILL waiting (somewhat) patiently for the software update....
I'm in a similar place. I would prefer that AA be provided by Acura, but really like what you posted here. Any chance you could post a picture of yours in your RDX, both holding the phone, and without? Thanks!

EDIT to add: Which phone are you using? Thanks!
Old 02-01-2019, 11:13 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JB in AZ
I'm in a similar place. I would prefer that AA be provided by Acura, but really like what you posted here. Any chance you could post a picture of yours in your RDX, both holding the phone, and without? Thanks!

EDIT to add: Which phone are you using? Thanks!
Here are some pictures that I took last night. I'm currently using an LG G6.

The following 2 users liked this post by rfbarry19:
JB in AZ (02-01-2019), knakane (02-05-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 11:23 AM
Drifting

. Thank you very much for the pictures! Ordered one. Should be here tomorrow
rfbarry19 (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 04:17 PM
Racer

It's kind of sad that you still have to use a phone mount with a brand new car that is supposedly technologically advanced. Why can't they just mirror our phones or come up with a convenient place to place your phone? It really can't be that hard. Why are we even messing around with Carplay and Android Auto in the first place?
Old 02-01-2019, 05:46 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
"Mirroring" is display only. If you want to control anything without pawing at your phone, you need something more sophisticated than that.

CarPlay and AA don't just provide a bidirectional clone of the smartphone interface on a car display/input system because Apple and Google feel that would be too distracting. I think they are right. People literally fall into holes in the sidewalk when they have their noses in their phones. Do you really want to drive on roads where everyone is doing that?
Old 02-02-2019, 02:09 AM
Racer

"Mirroring" is display only. If you want to control anything without pawing at your phone, you need something more sophisticated than that.

CarPlay and AA don't just provide a bidirectional clone of the smartphone interface on a car display/input system because Apple and Google feel that would be too distracting. I think they are right. People literally fall into holes in the sidewalk when they have their noses in their phones. Do you really want to drive on roads where everyone is doing that?
Yeah, handicapping features because people are dumb is a great way to innovate lol. If everyone is just mounting their phone right next to the infotainment screen because the in vehicle system is inferior to directly using their phone, I think the market has spoken haha.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by skarface
Yeah, handicapping features because people are dumb is a great way to innovate lol. If everyone is just mounting their phone right next to the infotainment screen because the in vehicle system is inferior to directly using their phone, I think the market has spoken haha.
If manufacturers make better navi and easy access to our music library we wouldn't need AA or CP. Tesla is a perfect example of that. At CES, Google showcase a full Android auto unit, which is designed to replace the cars infotaminment, and control system. No more tethering your phone.

​​​​​​This also tells you why we don't have Android auto on the RDX, Google isn't interested in developing a one off interface integration. Unless we start to see more truetouch on other Acura or Honda, Android auto isn't coming
Old 02-02-2019, 07:35 AM
Drifting

If manufacturers make better navi and easy access to our music library we wouldn't need AA or CP. Tesla is a perfect example of that. At CES, Google showcase a full Android auto unit, which is designed to replace the cars infotaminment, and control system. No more tethering your phone.

​​​​​​This also tells you why we don't have Android auto on the RDX, Google isn't interested in developing a one off interface integration. Unless we start to see more truetouch on other Acura or Honda, Android auto isn't coming
Unfortunately, this could very well be the case. Anyone know when the next Acura
Is up for it's refresh or next gen?
Old 02-02-2019, 09:05 AM
Racer

​​​​​​Google isn't interested in developing a one off interface integration. Unless we start to see more truetouch on other Acura or Honda, Android auto isn't coming
This is bad news for me. While waiting for Honda to release the Passport I'm secretly hoping the RDX gets Android Auto (and a fix to the Infotainment system issues). It doesn't look like it's happening anytime soon, if at all. I would hate myself if I bought a $50K car and still had to strap my phone to the dash like I do with my current car.
Lucky13's (10-20-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 09:15 AM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 140 Posts
Siri Eyes Free seems to work pretty well for me to control music and read/write texts. Not sure if there is an Android equivalent.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Cool

This is bad news for me. While waiting for Honda to release the Passport I'm secretly hoping the RDX gets Android Auto (and a fix to the Infotainment system issues). It doesn't look like it's happening anytime soon, if at all. I would hate myself if I bought a $50K car and still had to strap my phone to the dash like I do with my current car.
isn't it easier and cheaper to switch to iPhone? (full disclosure, I carry a Pixel)
Old 02-02-2019, 09:50 AM
Racer

isn't it easier and cheaper to switch to iPhone? (full disclosure, I carry a Pixel)
I used nothing but iPhones since THE iPhone (the original). After years of being curious about Android I finally switched, just last year. I'm not sure if I wanna switch back.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:09 AM
Burning Brakes

I used nothing but iPhones since THE iPhone (the original). After years of being curious about Android I finally switched, just last year. I'm not sure if I wanna switch back.
Off topic but I did exactly that. Just switched to pixel 3 since 3GS and I can't wait to switch back.... It's a smart phone but the interface is just so unintuitive. Same apps runs slower than my iPhone 6s!

so not having AA doesn't bother me. My alternative was a X3 and that has no option for AA whatsoever, not even on the roadmap.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:11 AM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
I would expect all Acura models will have True Touch at some point. The MDX spyshots for the next gen mule had a True Touch pad bolted on the center console. More cars are starting to use a touchpad style interface. Google will need to include this interface type if they expect Android Auto to be successful going forward.

The Chicago Auto Show is next week. Acura will be there so if anyone is in that area, perhaps see if they can talk with a rep there and ask about Android support.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:16 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by MrJames
The Chicago Auto Show is next week. Acura will be there so if anyone is in that area, perhaps see if they can talk with a rep there and ask about Android support.
Good idea. I wonder if they really know, though.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:38 PM
Racer

Good idea. I wonder if they really know, though.
"Coming Soon!"
Old 02-02-2019, 02:51 PM
Drifting

I'm using this vent cell phone holder now, and it is a VERY good interim fix until AA gets here from Acura and Google. You don't even need to plug the phone in to use AA this way. Thanks again for the suggestion, and I wanted to share so others may find this a working solution for now.
DWG (02-02-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 01:34 PM
Cruisin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought this mount also, and attached pics of it in use in this thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...cs-use-976900/

Old 02-03-2019, 01:37 PM
Cruisin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
I've got some potential bad news for the android auto fans out there. My car was built in Dec of 2018, and has software version D.1.1.2. There is no Android Auto icon on the homescreen, but has some other updates (nav zoom) that haven't been seen from what I understand in other threads. I suppose it is possible that the Android Auto icon does not appear until connecting an Android Auto capable phone, but it seems like the lack of icon hints that it will not be in this software release. Someone had mentioned that it is about 2.5 months from factory software install to update release, meaning you may not see Android Auto until much later than March of this year. I hope for y'all this is not the case.
subin (02-04-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 02:23 PM
Racer

Imagine a company selling a "technology package"... Then including actual functional technology. And not pushing consumers into buying a mount to stick right next to the item that is supposed to provide features that have been available for years. One day...lol
Old 02-03-2019, 02:25 PM
Racer

What do people use carplay and Android auto for? Just maps, music,and messages or is there something else?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Software Update Status - Android Auto