So this just happened - furious!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 05:01 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
So this just happened - furious!!!!

Some kid just opened their door into mine. I am so mad. It’s a kid thoug and I got the dads insurance so he’ll be paying for it but it’s two weeks old.....damn!!!!
Old 07-25-2018, 05:13 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
So you were there when it happened? Good thing since if you weren't around they probably would have just taken off. I always remind my kids to open the doors slowly and be careful not to hit other cars.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
That must have been one strong kid! Difficult enough to accept, on an old, well kept car, very, very hard to take on a newer one. Good You were there.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:28 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
oh man, is that the quarter panel too? One of the worse places to get hit, especially on a crease.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:35 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
That's disgusting. People are such selfish self-centered tools.

The side molding would not have helped you there. At least the guy gave you his insurance. I would imagine other folks might just look at you and brush it off.

Last edited by oblio98; 07-25-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:06 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by losiglow
So you were there when it happened? Good thing since if you weren't around they probably would have just taken off. I always remind my kids to open the doors slowly and be careful not to hit other cars.
yeah I was coming out of dropping my daughter off at dance and he asked if it was mine and I smiled because I thought a compliment was coming....then it’s like my dog died. And I don’t even have a dog! Our kids are good about doors. Always mindful

Originally Posted by frankjnjr
That must have been one strong kid! Difficult enough to accept, on an old, well kept car, very, very hard to take on a newer one. Good You were there.
Yep if it was 8 years old I wouldn’t care so much but it’s less than a month

Originally Posted by starlord
oh man, is that the quarter panel too? One of the worse places to get hit, especially on a crease.
yep corner panel and right on a crease. My buddy does PDR for a living and cringed at the pictures. Not a good sign.

Originally Posted by oblio98
That's disgusting. People are such selfish self-centered tools.

The side molding would not have helped you there. At least the guy gave you his insurance. I would imagine other folks might just look at you and brush it off.
Yeah im glad he caught me. I would have been flipping the fuck out if he had bailed. His kid is in my daughters dance class so he wouldn’t have gotten far lol
Old 07-25-2018, 06:20 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Ouch. That pains all of us seeing that. Show us the pics when it’s fixed and nothing but a memory.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
UGH that is such a shame man! Not even one month in. Thank god you got the dad's insurance...and like Fury63 said...it will all be but a blip in your memory soon enough.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:50 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by SUVGuy
UGH that is such a shame man! Not even one month in. Thank god you got the dad's insurance...and like Fury63 said...it will all be but a blip in your memory soon enough.
Even if they do a perfect repair job, you'll always know it's there and look at it as an imperfection. Very sad.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:57 PM
Pro

Even if they do a perfect repair job, you'll always know it's there and look at it as an imperfection. Very sad.
nah once it’s fixed it’s fixed. It’s cosmetic. I’d be more concerned if it was a crash. But at the same time it’s good to get the first scar out of the way.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:09 PM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
I would be wigged out, as I'm sure most on this site would be. We care about our cars. That said, it will be fixed. And at the end of the day, it's a first world problem plus you don't have to pay for the repair. Breath deep. Tomorrow will look better. It seems every time I get a new car, within a month or so something happens to ding it. My current car was hit by a highway rock that skipped across my hood like throwing a skipping rock across a lake. My previous Q5 had a cement chunk dropped on its hood (second day of ownership) from a near by construction site. I didn't see it until the next morning and either way I'd have trouble proving it. My high deductible meant--out of pocket. Life goes on. I tell myself it's why they make more cars.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:50 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I always jokingly say I’m going to open my other cars door into the side of my new car. Get it over with so I can move on. You know it will happen eventually.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:04 AM
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts
That's one hell of a door ding. Must have really had some force behind it. Bummer.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:46 PM
Pro

Well I already have a check from the dudes insurance. They estimated $680 for repair. No PDR, just repairing and repainting the panel. They have to drop the bumper cover and wheel liner, take out some trim and glass pieces to make sure they get the whole panel painted and cleared and blended. I took it to an Acura dealer and their assessment was the same.

doesnt seem like enough to me but whatever overages his insurance will cover.

2 day job likely.

I have a couple PDR guys I want to look at it as well.

More to come....
Old 07-30-2018, 04:18 PM
Pro

So one PDR company says they can get it out PDR. My good buddy who does body work and PDR for a Honda dealer said he could but doesn’t thnk it’ll be factory good. So he wants to repair and paint but here’s the kicker. Their shop can’t match the paint because they don’t have that toner available (his dealership is too cheap to buy the good products). So the Alex blue pearl is so new and different than it’s going to be tough to find a shop that can match it. This has me leaning towards the PDR option because I don’t want an obvious mismatched panel.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:35 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Ugh this is why I park hella far despite my wife giving me grief every single time.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:45 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by neoshi
Ugh this is why I park hella far despite my wife giving me grief every single time.
this. I call it parking in a dent free zone. Of course we’ve had ours 2 weeks now, and my wife parked in spot next to a cart return and opened the back door into a rail. Just a small chip in the door edge thank goodness.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:30 PM
Pro

I parked 3/4 over the left line all the way on the end of a row where nobody could park in the driver side and you had almost 2 spots on the passenger side. Dipshit still parked within striking distance 😂

i was literally parked, took my daughter in to dance and back out in under 2 minutes.

Had it not been pouring I wouldn’t have even parked in a spot I would have pushed her out on a fly by.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:43 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Dizzyg12

I parked 3/4 over the left line all the way on the end of a row where nobody could park in the driver side and you had almost 2 spots on the passenger side. Dipshit still parked within striking distance 😂

i was literally parked, took my daughter in to dance and back out in under 2 minutes.

Had it not been pouring I wouldn’t have even parked in a spot I would have pushed her out on a fly by.
Being the caring parent that you are you of course would have slowed down a little, right? . I grew up with a real delinquent type of guy who would see a nice car parked defensively(taking two spots,etc) and purposely if he could pull up next to it with his POS and open his door into the car. To this day, I don't straddle parking spots -- I'm willing to walk and park further away.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:31 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Well I already have a check from the dudes insurance. They estimated $680 for repair. No PDR, just repairing and repainting the panel. They have to drop the bumper cover and wheel liner, take out some trim and glass pieces to make sure they get the whole panel painted and cleared and blended. I took it to an Acura dealer and their assessment was the same.

doesnt seem like enough to me but whatever overages his insurance will cover.

2 day job likely.

I have a couple PDR guys I want to look at it as well.

More to come....
So one PDR company says they can get it out PDR. My good buddy who does body work and PDR for a Honda dealer said he could but doesn’t thnk it’ll be factory good. So he wants to repair and paint but here’s the kicker. Their shop can’t match the paint because they don’t have that toner available (his dealership is too cheap to buy the good products). So the Alex blue pearl is so new and different than it’s going to be tough to find a shop that can match it. This has me leaning towards the PDR option because I don’t want an obvious mismatched panel.
It all depends on the skill of the PDR guy. My wife's old Civic had a pretty sharp crease in the hood from a pickup truck with a tow hitch backing into the car. The paint was intact, the crease was sharp. I didn't think PDR would work, but that guy was an artist and when he was done you could not even tell it was there. And no paint or filler to worry about. I'd at least give it a shot. If it doesn't work to your satisfaction, the dent will at least be a lot easier to repair. Even if it is not 'factory good' you at least will have factory paint and some day another smaller dent will come that you won't want to bother getting fixed.

It looks like the edge of the other cars door must have hit it right on that crease. What a shame on a new car.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:07 AM
Burning Brakes

IMO: PDR, on that dent, next to impossible, to return to even semi factory line. A really good PDR Tech, could (POSSIBLY) make it un-noticeable, from 10 feet, but YOU would always look at, and see the imperfection, immediately! I would wait, until I found a shop, that could blend the paint, to match!
Old 07-31-2018, 07:17 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by frankjnjr
IMO: PDR, on that dent, next to impossible, to return to even semi factory line. A really good PDR Tech, could (POSSIBLY) make it un-noticeable, from 10 feet, but YOU would always look at, and see the imperfection, immediately! I would wait, until I found a shop, that could blend the paint, to match!
I agree with this, take it to a good reputable body shop that works on high end cars.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:52 PM
Pro

After taking it to multiple shops, I think I’ve decided to go to the PDR place that specializes in that and has great reviews and 40 years of experience. It seems as though the body shops want to tear out the floating glass trim and the actual glass itself, won’t paint the bumper, and they’ll blend to the door. With the apex blue being so new and a special type of toner they would have to special order I don’t trust them to do a good enough job that’s unnoticeable. I would rather have a 99% result from PDR and maybe, maybe have a minor blemish that only I would see, than to have a noticeable paint flop from the panel to the bumper. If it was on the rear door, and they were blending just doors, that would be less of an issue but I just don’t think painting it is a good idea. There is no “broken” paint or clear coat so the PDR guy is 100% confident that the factory paint will remain in tact and the results will be near perfect. They have been known to work magic and every body shop I went to recommended them if I decided to do PDR. Worst case is I end up having to do a traditional repair but from what I gathered from two separate PDR places and 3 body shops (including one that specializes in exotic high end cars like Lambo, Porsche, Ferrari’s etc), along with the dealer is that PDR is a better option than repainting since I prefer a less invasive approach and a bad paint job is hard to fix.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:33 PM
Burning Brakes

IMO: I think your taking the best approach. If doable, PDR is always the better option. Even a VERY high quality painter, CANNOT perfect match paint! If you think about it, temperature, humidity, paint tint, metallic particle, shape and size, percentage of thinner, and dryer, gun distance from the surface, air pressure, nozzle design, etc., would all have to be identical, to the factory procedure, in order to obtain a PERFECT match. Yours, is a VERY difficult dent, to address. Can't wait to hear how it turns out.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:49 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Holy commas, Batman!

I agree with your PDR approach. Worst case you go the paint route if you’re not satisfied. Less invasive to more invasive.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
That sucks! one can never completely avoid these situations, but's its why i practice defensive parking, one tenet being parking as far away from where most people park. More walking and fewer door dings (touch wood). Especially on a windy day.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:08 AM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
haha...you and me both!
Old 08-01-2018, 10:25 AM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
Yup. I do the same thing. Park at the remote spots to avoid the door dingers. Plus--a bit of exercise going to and fro.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:16 AM
Pro

So the PDR guy attempted to get to it. Thru the tail light was a no go because there’s no hole to get to it. Through the wheel well wasn’t an option because they would need to drill through the sheet metal brace which is right below the dent. They found a small hole in the frame near the bumper but weren’t able
to reach it without taking the bumper off. So it looks like PDR isn’t really an option without drilling and I don’t want to drill especially in the wheel well and expose it to road salt and water with potential to rust. I dont care If they seal it, still exposed in my mind.

so back to square one and probably going traditional repair route and just taking a small chance on the paint.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:52 PM
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts
So the PDR guy attempted to get to it. Thru the tail light was a no go because there’s no hole to get to it. Through the wheel well wasn’t an option because they would need to drill through the sheet metal brace which is right below the dent. They found a small hole in the frame near the bumper but weren’t able
to reach it without taking the bumper off. So it looks like PDR isn’t really an option without drilling and I don’t want to drill especially in the wheel well and expose it to road salt and water with potential to rust. I dont care If they seal it, still exposed in my mind.

so back to square one and probably going traditional repair route and just taking a small chance on the paint.

Sorry to hear that.
There are some really masterful body and paint techs out there.
Good luck.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:44 PM
Pro

So I’m still dealing with this. The PDR guy I went to today after 3 weeks of phone tag didn’t want to try glue pulling it cuz he’s convinced it won’t work. I am not expecting perfection on a PDR job and I do think it will get damn close to 100% with the right guy. As proof of how easy this metal is to work, I took it upon myself to pull the dent to about 80% with a rubber suction cup from a fucking $6 shower caddie. If I can get it to her with a suction cup, then surely a better tool and a skilled craftsman can get this taken care of.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:51 PM
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts
Maybe with the taillight removed, they could get behind it and push it out?
The hole for the wiring harness is small but, a long tool may be able to get down there.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by catbert430
Maybe with the taillight removed, they could get behind it and push it out?
The hole for the wiring harness is small but, a long tool may be able to get down there.
nope! We tried that. The tail lite housing doesn’t have any access. There is a hole below that housing that might provide access but would need to drop the bumper to even test that theory and we are pretty certain that the subwoofer would interfere. Here’s som production pictures to show what I’m talking about

This dent is in the worst possible spot.

Last edited by Dizzyg12; 08-25-2018 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:24 PM
Pro

Old 08-26-2018, 01:47 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This dent is in the worst possible spot.
So sorry that you're still going through this repair process man. I totally feel for you.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:59 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
That sucks! one can never completely avoid these situations, but's its why i practice defensive parking, one tenet being parking as far away from where most people park. More walking and fewer door dings (touch wood). Especially on a windy day.

Exactly! My wife thinks I’m crazy because I don’t party in the closest spots and instead park out in no-man’s land and/or where someone can only park on one side of me. It’s inevitable that dings and scratches will happen but I do my best to prevent as many as possible.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:15 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by pgeorg
I have a subscription to Hondas online Service Manual.

Let me know if you need anything else along the way.....
can you find out if there’s access to the passenger rear quarter panel from inside the cargo area? Got a dent and looking for access for PDR - I’m thinking the only option is removing the interior trim and subwoofer box.

Also do you need to be a dealer or certified tech to register for that site?
Old 08-28-2018, 08:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts

can you find out if there’s access to the passenger rear quarter panel from inside the cargo area? Got a dent and looking for access for PDR - I’m thinking the only option is removing the interior trim and subwoofer box.

Also do you need to be a dealer or certified tech to register for that site?
Anyone can subscribe. They offer either a day, month, or year subscription. https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.aspx

This is the best I could find, but I don't know how much it helps you:

Old 08-28-2018, 10:37 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by pgeorg
Anyone can subscribe. They offer either a day, month, or year subscription. https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.aspx

This is the best I could find, but I don't know how much it helps you:

That does help a little - I guess what I’m trying to find out is what’s in the square cutout and is it possible
to get a tool in there to pop it from the inside if we were to remove the bumper, or is that square area boxed up and containing anything? See where I marked on the diagram the location of my dent, right on that body line.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
I think these might answer your question, especially (J).....

I am using bigger pictures, so its easier for you to see the details.

Hope this helps some.

Quick Reply: So this just happened - furious!!!!