So about that road noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 12:04 AM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
So about that road noise

Acting on a hunch, and thanks to the tireless efforts of AcuraZiners like EE4Life to make us fully informed consumers, I just determined that my dealership neglected to install the "body plugs" that are supposed to plug up the holes in the vehicle frame that are left exposed during shipping. ( I think they are used for hold-down chains ). Time to have a quick chat with the dealer.

Might be worth a quick look for those who are concerned about road noise.

Page 6 of this document shows the location of the holes that should be plugged upon installation of the body plugs.

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B18-031.PDF

Body plug hole ( vacant )

The following 6 users liked this post by Wander:
acuraada (09-27-2018), billyt1963 (09-24-2018), Curious3GTL (09-24-2018), ednigma (09-24-2018), Ender01 (10-20-2018), GW208 (09-24-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-24-2018, 06:51 AM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I too do not have the body plugs. Do you think that would cause a noticeable increase in road noise?
Old 09-24-2018, 10:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
I've legitimately never heard of body plugs in my entire life. Literally in all my years on forums this is the first time ever. Interesting...
Old 09-24-2018, 10:46 AM
Drifting

The body plugs are supposed to be installed during PDI by the dealer, before the vehicle is ever driven. Not something the consumer should ever need to know about. Although I have found a few in the glove compartment or center console when a salesman lets me into a vehicle that hasn't been prepped, with the shipping plastic still on it.

I will be swinging by the dealer sometime today, and I'll report on any change.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wander:
billyt1963 (09-24-2018), RDX10 (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 12:00 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
How many are there? 2 or 4?

Old 09-24-2018, 01:49 PM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
I've legitimately never heard of body plugs in my entire life. Literally in all my years on forums this is the first time ever. Interesting...
Most, if not all Honda/Acura models have them. They usually come in a bag somewhere inside the vehicle and are intended to be installed during PDI as mentioned above.

My '18 Accord, '17 Civic, and '17 Ridgeline had them as well.
The following users liked this post:
RDX10 (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 02:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
The body plugs are supposed to be installed during PDI by the dealer, before the vehicle is ever driven. Not something the consumer should ever need to know about. Although I have found a few in the glove compartment or center console when a salesman lets me into a vehicle that hasn't been prepped, with the shipping plastic still on it.

I will be swinging by the dealer sometime today, and I'll report on any change.
Let us know how it goes, you truly learn something new every day. Thank you for teaching me about these. I didn't even know they were a thing! How shoddy of the PDI people to miss something like that!

Originally Posted by zroger73
Most, if not all Honda/Acura models have them. They usually come in a bag somewhere inside the vehicle and are intended to be installed during PDI as mentioned above.

My '18 Accord, '17 Civic, and '17 Ridgeline had them as well.
Neat!! I've never ever heard about these at all before this thread so I always appreciate learning new things

Thanks for the knowledge guys!
Old 09-24-2018, 03:55 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10

I used to work with a guy whose father was the head mechanic at a BMW dealership. He told me that there was a TSB (technical service bulletin) that customer reported road noise, especially whistling/ howling wind noise can be caused by missing jack pads which were hockey puck like things that snapped into the jacking points along the bottom of the car, behind the front wheels and in front of the rears. When they fall off, they leave a small hole in the unibody "frame rail" about the size of penny.
The following 2 users liked this post by ednigma:
Ih8honda (07-10-2021), windycitycy (09-25-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 08:49 PM
Drifting

So this is strange. My dealer claims that their current PDI checklist doesn't say anything about body plugs. Furthermore, they checked other 2019 RDXs on their lot, and none of them have rubber plugs at the site in question. ( I actually poked my head under their demo and convinced myself that there was no rubber plug in the suspect site ). They also compared road noise levels and found no difference between my 2019 RDX and their demo.

( PDI = Pre Delivery Inspection )

So what gives? A running change implemented after the preliminary PDI instructions were published? A sudden worldwide shortage of appropriately sized "body plugs"? The dog ate their PDI checklist? Dunno.
Joanne Faille (10-21-2022)
Old 09-24-2018, 08:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
In the packet of manuals I got with my RDX there is a Maintenance Journal. The first section is "TQI" or Total Quality Inspection - on page "ii" there's an item "Install Body Plugs". That section was completed with my VIN written in and all items checked off.

Last edited by MI-RDX; 09-24-2018 at 09:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MI-RDX:
Joanne Faille (10-21-2022), Wander (10-03-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 09:16 AM
Drifting

If you find yourself in the Madison area with your RDX, don't be too surprised if you see some strange guy peeking under its undercarriage.

"Honest, Officer, I was just looking for its body plugs".
Joanne Faille (10-21-2022)
Old 10-02-2018, 08:39 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Newsy1904
How many are there? 2 or 4?
I wondered the same thing. The PDI instructions only show two plugs, but four locations. There are actually SIX places under the vehicle where the body plugs fit. Mine were in the wrong spot so I moved them this evening. They fit very loosely. The instructions note that they may not sit flush with the body and they’re not kidding.
Wander (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 07:08 PM
Drifting

I wondered the same thing. The PDI instructions only show two plugs, but four locations. There are actually SIX places under the vehicle where the body plugs fit. Mine were in the wrong spot so I moved them this evening. They fit very loosely. The instructions note that they may not sit flush with the body and they’re not kidding.
This does raise another possibility: the plugs are being installed as per the PDI ( TQI ), but for whatever reason the holes are oversize and the plugs are falling out. Or maybe Acura figured out the holes are oversize, but they don't have any plugs to fit the oversize holes. But rather than moving plugs around, I may invest a couple bucks in getting some additional new ones. And I may apply a few cents worth of silicone sealant to keep them in place. Part number is 90851-S3V-A00; Plug, Rear Tie Down (22X37).

itsardx (02-25-2020)
Old 10-03-2018, 09:09 PM
Pro

This does raise another possibility: the plugs are being installed as per the PDI ( TQI ), but for whatever reason the holes are oversize and the plugs are falling out. Or maybe Acura figured out the holes are oversize, but they don't have any plugs to fit the oversize holes. But rather than moving plugs around, I may invest a couple bucks in getting some additional new ones. And I may apply a few cents worth of silicone sealant to keep them in place. Part number is 90851-S3V-A00; Plug, Rear Tie Down (22X37).
What's more peculiar to me is that the location and quantity of the holes and plugs on the PDI doesn't match the location of the holes and plugs shown on the exploded parts diagram. Four of the holes on my RDX match the four locations shown on the PDI (even though only two plugs are shown and were present on my RDX, but in the "wrong" locations). I have two more holes that aren't shown on the PDI. As cheap as these are, I might just order a sack full of them and plug all six holes.

Call my crazy, BUT... On my mindless commute to work this morning, the stretch of course asphalt that I drive over twice daily seemed quieter. Different enough, in fact, for my ears to notice something was different than the other dozen times I've driven to work on this route. After several seconds of believe my ears clogged, I remembered moving the plugs to the "correct" locations yesterday evening. Maybe it's all in my head. Maybe I'll take subjective measurements using my sound level meter with and without the plugs to see if there's an actual difference.

I suspect that the plugs are intentionally made to fit loose to allow water to drain from the frame rails. As loose as they are, I don't see them falling out on their own, but I can see how road debris could knock them out.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:28 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
What's more peculiar to me is that the location and quantity of the holes and plugs on the PDI doesn't match the location of the holes and plugs shown on the exploded parts diagram. Four of the holes on my RDX match the four locations shown on the PDI (even though only two plugs are shown and were present on my RDX, but in the "wrong" locations). I have two more holes that aren't shown on the PDI. As cheap as these are, I might just order a sack full of them and plug all six holes.

Call my crazy, BUT... On my mindless commute to work this morning, the stretch of course asphalt that I drive over twice daily seemed quieter. Different enough, in fact, for my ears to notice something was different than the other dozen times I've driven to work on this route. After several seconds of believe my ears clogged, I remembered moving the plugs to the "correct" locations yesterday evening. Maybe it's all in my head. Maybe I'll take subjective measurements using my sound level meter with and without the plugs to see if there's an actual difference.

I suspect that the plugs are intentionally made to fit loose to allow water to drain from the frame rails. As loose as they are, I don't see them falling out on their own, but I can see how road debris could knock them out.
where do you buy the plugs ?
Old 10-03-2018, 09:57 PM
Drifting

Zroger relocated two plugs that are further forward on the frame rails. So now his are MIA at the original locations.

Any Acura dealer could order the plugs with the part number I cited above ( 90851-S3V-A00), if they don't have them in stock. They are shared with a number of other Acura and Honda vehicles. I found a couple identical ones under our 2014 MDX, for instance. These are so cheap, shipping will be more costly than the parts if you order them online. I just verified that Honda branded vehicles have them as well, so any Honda dealer could get them. Same part number. I've been too busy to swing by my dealer since I dug up the part info, but I'll report back soon.

Ambient noise is difficult to assess with SPL meters because specific resonant frequencies can be quite irritating, but have minimal impact on the overall weighted noise measurement. But there is a reason noise abatement strategies include sealing body openings. Roll down your window in traffic and see if it makes a difference.

I'm skeptical about the water drainage theory, because there are more elegant approaches to that issue, but it is a puzzle.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:13 AM
Pro

I ordered four more plugs from the local Honda dealer this morning for $6 including tax. That's the least expensive and quickest route for me since the closest Acura dealer is 2.5 hours away and shipping is twice is much as the plugs themselves. I'll pick them up this evening if they have them in stock or tomorrow afternoon if they have to order them. I measured the holes at 22mm x 38mm which is close to the dimensions in the description. However, the plugs are actually about 18mm x 36mm hence the loose fit.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:38 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Picked up my new RDX today and checked on the plugs during pickup. There weren't any installed. The service manager agreed there's supposed to be plugs and put 2 plugs in, but in the 2 further forward/inner holes (shown left empty in the TQI). They left the 2 holes on the side rail, just under the b pillar, empty. Trying to decide whether to move the 2 they installed, or order 2 more plugs in addition. Anyone else hear any more about whether the 2 forward/inner holes are drain holes or should/shouldn't be plugged as well? Just want to keep the road salt out of where it shouldn't be, but allow any drainage or air flow where it should be.

TQI plug locations

side rail where supposed to be installed

forward/inner holes where they were, but NOT?? supposed to be, installed
Old 10-19-2018, 10:57 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Looks to be near the firewall, so it could be that the AC drains through these. I agree with the sentiment to try and keep road salt out of nooks and crannys if possible, so it would be great to figure this out for sure, I wonder if the detailed technical docs mention drainage from the AC evaporator.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:17 AM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
When I picked up the car, I asked the Sales person about the plugs and PDI and she had no idea. But, she did check and the Manager came out and told me that they do the PDI per the instruction. I then looked under and found the uncovered hole per hirsh014's bottom picture and was not happy, but then I also found the plug on the TQI hole, so I just assume that the first hole I saw must have been left unplugged by the factory.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:38 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Why don't they install these plugs at the factory ?
Old 10-20-2018, 07:01 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by R. White
Why don't they install these plugs at the factory ?
They're supposedly for anchoring the car during shipment to the dealer. There are other things on the TQI list that it seems would be better done at the factory, like the seemingly important pcm idle and ckp pattern learn. Maybe Acura has more trust in the dealers than we customers do.

As a follow-up, I moved the plugs to under the b pillar in my car. The plugs definitely fit poorly there (very loose) even though they were a better fit in the more forward/inner holes. Maybe the dealer noticed the same and put the plugs where they fit better. The loose fit makes it seem like they won't have really much effect. Hoping to keep this car for it's life... I guess I'll see how much those plugs end up mattering. Will report back in hopefully no less than 15 years!
Old 10-20-2018, 07:16 PM
Drifting

I'm pretty sure those more forward plugs should stay where they are. There are boringly similar ones under our 2014 MDX.

I added a couple plugs to the sites "under the B pillar" indicated in the TQI and I think it reduced the road noise, especially higher frequency noise. Sorry I didn't report back sooner; I've been distracted with other things and driving a different vehicle most of the time.

And yes, some of these openings are "tie-down" sites used in transport. AFAIK all Honda/Acura vehicles have them.
Ih8honda (07-15-2021)
Old 10-21-2018, 12:30 PM
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Since I am in the process of test driving RDX's, I appreciate this thread as I had no idea about these plugs plus what I heard was "normal" (since I've never driven one previously). Have the plugs helped substantially or just a little? Thanks.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:07 AM
Drifting

It's hard to quantify, and it really depends upon the road surfaces travelled. I'd say it's similar to the difference between having windows with acoustic glass or regular laminated safety glass. Noticeable, but not "night and day".

My 2019 RDX Advance SH-AWD isn't as quiet as our 2014 MDX Tech SH-AWD, with the plugs added or otherwise. But it's quieter than most vehicles I have owned, including 1st-gen MDXs, one of which I still drive for messy projects (such as transporting hyperactive canines or sweaty cyclists ).
russbert (10-22-2018)
Old 11-22-2019, 06:33 AM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Hmmm, now I have to check my 2020 RDX when I get home to see if I have them.
zroger73 (11-22-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 05:03 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Cuzz
Hmmm, now I have to check my 2020 RDX when I get home to see if I have them.
I checked this afternoon and they are installed. There's two of them right where the illustration says they should be. Whew.
Old 11-23-2019, 05:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Several years ago on this web site I learned about the same plugs for my 2009 TL.

Sure enough they were missing, bought from dealer and installed myself
Old 11-23-2019, 05:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
you really think these tiny plugs will do much about noise? And there are others that TQI lefts un-plug.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:15 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Seems counter-intuitive......but its not an expensive experiment to try out.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:23 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
you really think these tiny plugs will do much about noise? And there are others that TQI lefts un-plug.
Seems like it might cut down on the noise around here.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:28 PM
Drifting

Open a window a crack while you're driving and see if you think it makes a difference. Or do the same with an apartment or hotel room window in the city.

OTOH I tried plugging some of the other openings in the chassis, but the plugs didn't fit snugly and it seemed like low frequency noise increased.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
According to TQI you only need to have two plugs as shown in picture.
I would not want to plug other holes as they may need to stay open by design for water drain.

Old 11-24-2019, 01:22 PM
Drifting

I would not want to plug other holes as they may need to stay open by design for water drain.
I agree. I only tried the other ones as an experiment, and they are now open.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:35 PM
Expanse me

Received 299 Likes on 226 Posts
the plugs are so lose, you don't have to worry about draining water... ;o

Also, if you have an Aspec, get the plug for the hole located in the very bottom of the trunk. A big hole is left there if not. This is where the spare would mount if you had one. Dealer has them. ;(

Last edited by Funz51; 02-22-2020 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:03 PM
Drifting

They left that poor thing's hole hanging out there in the breeze? That's just rude.

BS aside, that's a big unsealed opening from the back of the undercarriage into the cabin, through which exhaust gases could enter. Those openings are supposed to be sealed.

So much for "precision crafted".
Old 02-25-2020, 07:52 PM
'20 RDX Elite

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Took mine to the dealiership as the plugs were missing, gave them the PDI doc page. Gave me some lame excuse about some other dealership doing PDI and not them, but I know the car came from the warehouse at the port. The tire pressure was off as well, so doubt they did anything. But the tech did go around and look at some of the areas mentioned in the PDI.

Anyway, they were having difficulties locating the part number of the plugs, so I was able to give the number to them, thanks for posting the info.

They ordred and installed them (under warranty), didnt seem to make a big difference with road noise, I should check to see if they installed it, too cold to get under the car.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by itsardx
Took mine to the dealiership as the plugs were missing, gave them the PDI doc page. Gave me some lame excuse about some other dealership doing PDI and not them, but I know the car came from the warehouse at the port. The tire pressure was off as well, so doubt they did anything. But the tech did go around and look at some of the areas mentioned in the PDI.

Anyway, they were having difficulties locating the part number of the plugs, so I was able to give the number to them, thanks for posting the info.

They ordred and installed them (under warranty), didnt seem to make a big difference with road noise, I should check to see if they installed it, too cold to get under the car.
I wish Acura owned the dealerships, if I ran Acura I would run it much differently, become a brand that is seen as a high end luxury brand and takes care of their customers instead of some of the bs they pull, that doesn’t take years to fix issues, they still have BRAND NEW 2020s going out as we speak that develop the brake squeal issues, this is not acceptable, and new ones that are having the squeaky suspension noise, just ridiculous, don’t get me wrong I love my RDX, but Acura has some room for improvement
The following 4 users liked this post by Dereileak:
ardeezy (07-12-2021), fogdoctor (02-26-2020), Ih8honda (07-08-2021), Joanne Faille (10-21-2022)
Old 07-07-2021, 03:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Doesn't everyone inspect their vehicle on the lift before signing final paperwork?

One said in their decades of selling cars no one's ever made this request......... Right.

I always insist on a thorough test drive (inc highway speeds), then a good inspection underneath, including removal of a cover if needed to see underside of engine/trans.
Old 07-07-2021, 10:51 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
Sadly the great majority of owners have no clue as to what to look for under a car. I recall when I picked up my RDX the salesman told me he had already looked the car over for me to save me the time. What a nice man!

Of course once you drive it off the lot those little dings and scratches, or missing parts, are on you as they must have happened AFTER you took the car.

Quick Reply: So about that road noise