Notices

Shifting issues

Old 07-02-2018, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

Recieved 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by birdonamission View Post
I listed the things people have been complaining about in my post totally tongue in cheek. I personally have no problem with any of the things listed on there.

Yeah, I know...my sense of humor. Very special, sometimes. Ha ha.
You forgot to mention the most egregious of all, the use of incandescent bulbs in the turn signals.😀
The following 2 users liked this post by GW208:
DesignerTom (07-03-2018), Stew4HD (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

Recieved 998 Likes on 657 Posts
Originally Posted by GW208 View Post
You forgot to mention the most egregious of all, the use of incandescent bulbs in the turn signals.😀
HAHA! I almost didn't get the RDX for that reason!
Old 07-02-2018, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

Recieved 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Dizzyg12 View Post

dont worry though, if you have an advanced you can cut off your hand and still open the tail gate. Just cut off your ears too so the moan doesn’t annoy you
Options. Yet more options. LOL
Old 07-02-2018, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

Recieved 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Yup, missed that one.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

Recieved 7 Likes on 5 Posts
My two week old (500 miles) '19 RDX has the shifting issue described but disappears once the car reaches normal operating temperature. Has anyone heard of any fixes yet?
Old 11-01-2018, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

Recieved 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I picked up '19 RDX y'day and no shifting issues so far.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:11 AM
Registered Member

Recieved 6 Likes on 3 Posts
2 weeks in today. I have not noticed any issue with the tranny. It actually blows my mind in Sport+ mode how quickly it runs up through the gears.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

Recieved 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I picked up mine (tech awd) this week. I have put 200 miles on it. I notice a very slight jerk when shifting from 2nd to 3rd occasionally. I actually would not have noticed if I was not particularly looking for any harsh shifting based on the threads here. I used to feel it sometimes with my audi a3 also based on how I accelerated. It was a dct. Only posting this as I do feel there is a difference in shifting from 2nd to 3rd compared to other gears. So will keep monitoring it as I drive more. Also I did not notice it in sport+ mode at all.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

So, the temps are turning colder here in the Northeast and it's made for a more noticeable hard shift when starting my morning commute. It's most noticed when shifting between 1st and second and then again between 2nd and 3rd. The issue seems to almost disappear when the tranny reaches normal operating temperature. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the viscosity of the tranny fluid when cold? Has anyone else noticed this to be a temperature dependent condition?
Old 11-09-2018, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

Recieved 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Not a universal problem!

I have a little over 1000 miles on my '19 SH-AWD Advance, & have NOT experienced ANY of the issues I see people complaining about on this forum. Shifting in mine is butter smooth in all gears.
The following 2 users liked this post by RDXRSXTL:
GW208 (11-09-2018), securityguy (11-09-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

Recieved 26 Likes on 24 Posts
400 miles so far and not seen any issue with gear shifting.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:08 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Recieved 558 Likes on 379 Posts
So far so good (way more than good actually) on mine with about 3000 miles on the clock.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

Recieved 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou View Post
So far so good (way more than good actually) on mine with about 3000 miles on the clock.
That's good to hear, do you happen to notice the 2 second delay when shifting from drive to reverse or reverse to drive that others have mentioned?
Old 11-12-2018, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

Recieved 87 Likes on 55 Posts
That's good to hear, do you happen to notice the 2 second delay when shifting from drive to reverse or reverse to drive that others have mentioned?
mine is slow going to reverse, and so was my loaner, it must just be normal
The following users liked this post:
GW208 (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 06:34 AM
Registered Member

Recieved 998 Likes on 657 Posts
Mine has that long delay.. it's very irritating
The following users liked this post:
GW208 (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

Not exactly sure if the harsh shifting most people mentioned is the slight jerk/lurch felt while shifting from 2nd to 3rd. I have 900 miles on mine (tech awd). I feel a slight jerk while shifting from 2nd to 3rd. I would not say it is harsh but it is little different compared to shifting in other gears. It is noticable when slowly accelarating in stop and go traffic in comfort and sport modes. Have not tried sport+ mode in such traffic. I did talk to my dealers service department and they said once I have over 1000 miles, I can bring it to them to take a look and see if it is normal or not. Btw I was driving with a friend who owns 2018 accord and he said it was normal and he did not feel any harshness. He said shifting felt similar to his accord in lower gears. Will monitor it and post updates here.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

Recieved 71 Likes on 31 Posts
Initially shifting in the lower gears was a bit laggy and as such frustrating, but st some point over the last month or so things have smoothed out considerably. I have about 3,400 miles on the vehicle now so if I had to guess the improvement in transmission shifting happened at about the 2,500 mile mark. What’s also helped I believe is that I’ve learned to wait until the turbo spools before expecting rapid acceleration.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:11 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Honda430 View Post
Initially shifting in the lower gears was a bit laggy and as such frustrating, but st some point over the last month or so things have smoothed out considerably. I have about 3,400 miles on the vehicle now so if I had to guess the improvement in transmission shifting happened at about the 2,500 mile mark. What’s also helped I believe is that I’ve learned to wait until the turbo spools before expecting rapid acceleration.
When it was laggy did you feel slight jerk while shifting from 2nd to 3rd or any other gears? When I feel the slight jerk, the shift from 2nd to 3rd takes a little while and rpm goes upto 3500 before shifting. While in other gears it shifts at lower rpm. Probably this lag is what causes the slight jerk.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:09 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by JustAnotherOne View Post
When it was laggy did you feel slight jerk while shifting from 2nd to 3rd or any other gears? When I feel the slight jerk, the shift from 2nd to 3rd takes a little while and rpm goes upto 3500 before shifting. While in other gears it shifts at lower rpm. Probably this lag is what causes the slight jerk.
Well not 3500 it is between 2000 to 2500.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

Recieved 71 Likes on 31 Posts
The jerkiness was way down in the rpm band. I agree with Justin that it happened around 2,000-2,500 rpm. I only experienced one jerk so I’d say it was the 1-2 shift. I drove the car today paying particular attention to the transmission. Shifting now is smooth as butter. There is no hesitation in moving through the gears from a stop.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:07 PM
Registered Member

Has anyone noticed this to be true only when cold?
Old 11-13-2018, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Honda430 View Post
The jerkiness was way down in the rpm band. I agree with Justin that it happened around 2,000-2,500 rpm. I only experienced one jerk so I’d say it was the 1-2 shift. I drove the car today paying particular attention to the transmission. Shifting now is smooth as butter. There is no hesitation in moving through the gears from a stop.
Good to hear. Even I experience one jerk during 2nd to 3rd only. 1to 2 is butter smooth. Acutally all other gears are smooth. Hopefully jerkiness goes away for me too with more miles.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:27 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Recieved 558 Likes on 379 Posts
Hmmm, good question. I actually had to shift from drive to reverse several times because of my awesome parallel parking skill the other day..lol. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary though even though I was trying to get the parking job done asap.

I will pay more attention to this in the coming days and see if I notice anything like that.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:54 AM
Registered Member

Recieved 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I have 4,500 miles on my early production Advance RDX ( purchased June 30th) and while I love this vehicle there are annoying issues with the infotainment system, which I can live with and more importantly the transmission. First issue is when starting the vehicle and shifting into drive or reverse I get a loud clunk about 40% of the time. It's very loud with a physical jolt. Second issue is reverse is slow to engage. I back into my garage and my driveway is on a slight incline towards the street. When I shift to reverse to fine tune my parking and take my foot off the brake the car rolls forward before reverse engages. I now shift to reverse and keep my foot on the brake for 1 or 2 seconds until I feel reverse engage. Pretty annoying and just like the CVT in my previously owned Nissan Rogue. Last and most annoying is the much discussed 1, 2, 3 shift issues. The transmission also clunks upon resuming acceleration when in cruise control, which is a top gear shift issue. This happens maybe 15% of the time. I'm documenting these and will address them all at the first dealer service. Every with these annoying problems I would not consider getting rid of the vehicle. It has so many wonderful features and is a joy to drive even with these issues and I trust that Acura will resolve these problems.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:15 PM

Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission and other issues

Originally Posted by mrblase View Post
I have 4,500 miles on my early production Advance RDX ( purchased June 30th) and while I love this vehicle there are annoying issues with the infotainment system, which I can live with and more importantly the transmission. First issue is when starting the vehicle and shifting into drive or reverse I get a loud clunk about 40% of the time. It's very loud with a physical jolt. Second issue is reverse is slow to engage. I back into my garage and my driveway is on a slight incline towards the street. When I shift to reverse to fine tune my parking and take my foot off the brake the car rolls forward before reverse engages. I now shift to reverse and keep my foot on the brake for 1 or 2 seconds until I feel reverse engage. Pretty annoying and just like the CVT in my previously owned Nissan Rogue. Last and most annoying is the much discussed 1, 2, 3 shift issues. The transmission also clunks upon resuming acceleration when in cruise control, which is a top gear shift issue. This happens maybe 15% of the time. I'm documenting these and will address them all at the first dealer service. Every with these annoying problems I would not consider getting rid of the vehicle. It has so many wonderful features and is a joy to drive even with these issues and I trust that Acura will resolve these problems.
I have around 2100 miles on my RDX and had it in the shop the day I bought it after noticing the harsh 2-3 gear shift. Tech drove it around and admitted to an anomaly with the 2-3 jerk and said it should go away after the transmission learns the way you drive. At 1000 miles I brought it back in to dealership so they could get snapshots and they performed a clutch re-learn of some sort, which didn't improve things. I now have 2100 miles and the shift issue is random but occurs mostly in the 2000 to 2400 RPM area and is more noticeable during turns. It is now back at the dealer while they try to get snapshots, and not seeing the issue. Was hoping for some fix as I test drove another identical vehicle built the same month as mine and it was smooth in all gears. I am not convinced that the problem will go away on it's own. Last week I had the E-Brake go on by itself, and I could not disable the brake every way I tried. I should release when pulling up on the switch, or when you put it in gear or accelerate. Car wouldn't move. Struggled with this for a couple hours as I couldn't get it to release. Thanksgiving day so there was no one to call for advice.It finally went off after trying several times. Dealer has not been able to reproduce the issue and diagnostics did not detect any problems. Waiting for dealer to advise on the transmission issue. I've had Acuras for 18 years now and this is our third RDX. Never had any problems before with any Acura products.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

I'm at about 1800 miles now and are still experiencing the harsh 1,2,3 shift. It only happens before the vehicle reaches normal operating temperature. Some of the weirdness I've experienced are: the keyless entry system doesn't always recognize me when I try to open the door. I have to reach into my pocket and hit the remote button to open the door. This has happened three times now. The passenger seat heater has come on by itself twice. I have received error messages on the MID display when trying to change a radio station from the steering wheel. This has happened three times. Changing the station from the TTP fixes it. Lastly, my hatch opened on its own when I entered the car after having started it with the app. I'm thinking I need to call an exorcist and not the dealer but I'm hoping that a future update addresses these issues. I don't want to have my car be a guinea pig so I've been living with it for now.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

Recieved 3 Likes on 1 Post
Took my car in for having hard shifting issues from 2nd to 3rd

Invoice says “found there is a pgm-fi software update. Performed update and idle relearned”

shifting issues are now fixed!

smooth going between 2nd and 3rd gear now where before there was a shudder
The following 3 users liked this post by David Ram:
jjacke (01-19-2019), mrblase (01-19-2019), subin (01-20-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by David Ram View Post
Took my car in for having hard shifting issues from 2nd to 3rd

Invoice says “found there is a pgm-fi software update. Performed update and idle relearned”

shifting issues are now fixed!

smooth going between 2nd and 3rd gear now where before there was a shudder
I took my car in for another issue and mentioned to check for transmission software update referring to your post specifically for pgm-fi. Service rep said they have not received any pgm-fi update for 2019 rdx. They were only aware of pgm-fi update for zf9. Can you please post the name of the dealership which did the update?

​​​​​I am also going to call acura customer care to check if they are aware.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

Gunn Acura San Antonio
Old 02-08-2019, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for sharing the software update details David ram. My dealer was also able to find the updated version. They have updated the transmission software (pgm-fi) and performed re-learn. I will be picking up the car tomorrow. Will provide an update sometime tomorrow if this solves the problem.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for sharing the software update details David ram. My dealer was also able to find the updated version. They have updated the transmission software (pgm-fi) and performed re-learn. I will be picking up the car tomorrow. Will provide an update sometime tomorrow if this solves the problem.

Let us know my car is completely different now (shifts so smooth) let's hope the update does the same for you. Did they mention why they didn't see the update the first time?
Old 02-08-2019, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

Recieved 304 Likes on 231 Posts
Let us know my car is completely different now (shifts so smooth) let's hope the update does the same for you. Did they mention why they didn't see the update the first time?

1. Well, it was 4 O’clock, and we wanted to go home, and it would have taken too much time.
2. We are generally inept, and all of our, or, both of our A-techs are out, so...

Pick one.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

Recieved 87 Likes on 55 Posts
My vehicle is in service right now, hoping they are able to find this update as I would really like this issue to be resolved, they reported they were not able to really reproduce but I pointed them to this thread for some insight, fingers crossed.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:11 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Madd Dog View Post

1. Well, it was 4 O’clock, and we wanted to go home, and it would have taken too much time.
2. We are generally inept, and all of our, or, both of our A-techs are out, so...

Pick one.
Well it seemed they were over confident that they would have been informed by acura if there was an update available for 2019 already. But when I insisted they agreed to check again. I am happy that they actually checked for it instead of just saying that there was no update available. Hoping this resolves the harsh shifting issue.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

Got the car back today without the software update as per the invoice. Invoice says PCM reset and idle re-learn performed as transmission was shifting normal but not up to customers expectation. Transmission will learn again overtime.

The SA whom I talked on phone was not available today. Will call him on Monday to know the reason. I am guessing he mistook PCM reset for pgm-fi update.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

David, I was wondering if your shifts have remained smooth without the shudder? I plan to have my dealer look into this update on Tuesday.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

did this fix the shifting problem?
Old 03-03-2019, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

Recieved 78 Likes on 58 Posts
I've now driven my RDX ~1,800 miles in a little over 5 weeks (mostly in Comfort mode), and I am very happy wit the transmission behavior. I even tried to simulate some of the conditions mentioned by others that have caused a rough shift. NADA

NOT denying that anyone else did have the issue, just a data point. Perhaps running assembly line changes? Mine was built 11/18, as noted in my signature below.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

Mine is 12-18 I’m at 800 miles
Old 03-03-2019, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

Recieved 78 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by briankklein View Post
Mine is 12-18 I’m at 800 miles
I may have missed you posting it, but what symptoms are you experiencing with your trans?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shifting issues

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.