Shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 12:08 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifting issues

Have any other new 2019 RRX owners noticed any rough shifting in the lower gears? Mine has a “stutter” when upshifting through the first couple lower gears when taking off from a stop. Took it into the dealer, they agreed it was not smooth but don’t have a fix at the moment. The demo unit at the dealer does the same thing. Hopefully a software update soon to smooth this out? Not what you would expect with a new car.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:25 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same problem here. Noticed it when shifting between 2 and 3 on a consistent basis. However, if you floor it - it transitions smoothly. Weird. I also had the dealer check it out. They said it was consistent with how the other 2019 RDXs were behaving. No fix available...

FYI...
Old 07-01-2018, 08:18 AM
I love spreadsheets.

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts
It looks like you guys are not the only ones experiencing this issue.

Hard Shifting 2nd to 3rd

2019 RDX rough shifts?
Old 07-01-2018, 09:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
From Car and Driver's long-term test of the new Accord:

"Nearly every logbook comment so far has called out the 10-speed for faltering and stumbling between first, second, and third gears, especially when attempting to navigate a low-speed crawl. "
Old 07-01-2018, 09:15 AM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
My god. If there is another tranny issue (see TLX), Acura will get killed. People moving from the TLX to the RDX will go ballistic.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:20 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For sure disappointing that the 2005 TSX I traded in, shifted smoother than my new RDX...
Old 07-01-2018, 09:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Been looking at the Accord forums.....
https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/2...eleration.html

Looks like some others are seeing issues also.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
Honda/Acura have a history of bad transmissions and this new one scares me as well, unfortunately not too surprised to hear this.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:26 AM
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Add one more to the list titled "RDX "redesign" not ready for prime time".
Old 07-01-2018, 10:55 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I would purchase the 19 RDX today if it had a 6MT.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:23 PM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
My test drive was a smooth shifting experience. Maybe this is is something that isn't common to all RDX's?
Old 07-01-2018, 01:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by quantum7
Been looking at the Accord forums.....
https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/2...eleration.html

Looks like some others are seeing issues also.
I skimmed through that forum and saw this post, which I found interesting:

"I was reading an article the other day about the development of the latest multi-speed automatic transmissions including Honda's 10AT. One of the advantages that was mentioned in the article is that with so many gear ratios spaced so closely together, the torque converter clutch can be applied shortly after the vehicle starts moving in 1st gear and can remain engaged as the transmission shifts. With the TCC applied, the torque converter is bypassed and the engine now has a direct mechanical connection to the wheels as the transmission applies and releases various combinations of clutches and brakes on the planetary gearsets to shift through the various gear ratios. This more direct connection could certainly explain why the 10AT tends to feel a bit jerky in lower gears at lower speeds sometimes because it's acting more like a manual. The advantage to keeping the TCC applied is improved fuel economy because the torque converter isn't slipping which generates waste heat."

Sounds like it could be by design?
Old 07-01-2018, 01:45 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by SUVGuy

"I was reading an article the other day about the development of the latest multi-speed automatic transmissions including Honda's 10AT. One of the advantages that was mentioned in the article is that with so many gear ratios spaced so closely together, the torque converter clutch can be applied shortly after the vehicle starts moving in 1st gear and can remain engaged as the transmission shifts. With the TCC applied, the torque converter is bypassed and the engine now has a direct mechanical connection to the wheels as the transmission applies and releases various combinations of clutches and brakes on the planetary gearsets to shift through the various gear ratios. This more direct connection could certainly explain why the 10AT tends to feel a bit jerky in lower gears at lower speeds sometimes because it's acting more like a manual. The advantage to keeping the TCC applied is improved fuel economy because the torque converter isn't slipping which generates waste heat."

i think a lot of it has to do with driving style. I’m the type that came from a manual transmission in my younger years and always try to keep myself in the “powerband” area of the rpms when driving an automatic. With 10 speeds that’s going to be a learning curve. This TCC thing you posted certainly sounds like it’s designed to do what I’ve been accustomed to doing for years, so that in the lower speed range and lower gears you’re in the optimal gear and torque range for your speed. Hope I’m explaining that well. But I certainly didn’t think anything was harsh or wrong when I had the car for hours the other day. An adjustment in driving style may be in order and easily done.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:30 PM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by SUVGuy

Thanks for this. It makes sense. I hope some other owners weigh in about it as people have broader driving experience with the car.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I started a topic under Problems and Fixes about this, I only notice it under low speed shifting
Old 07-01-2018, 08:58 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Smoother in "comfort mode" with a light right foot, than in "sport" mode with a heavy foot. Shocking, I know.

I'd say it's not perfect, but still a whole lot better than the ZF 9-speed. The 6-speed Honda AT in our 2014 MDX is smoother.

But the fury unleashed with a firm stomp is quite satisfying.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
...The 6-speed Honda AT in our 2014 MDX is smoother...
But back in '14 there wasn't as much pressure to improve mileage. Manufacturers are trying everything they can to eke out every 1/10 MPG they possible can and, unfortunately, some of those solutions are having a negative impact on driving dynamics - sucks but that's the way it is and it won't be getting better.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:48 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
But back in '14 there wasn't as much pressure to improve mileage. Manufacturers are trying everything they can to eke out every 1/10 MPG they possible can and, unfortunately, some of those solutions are having a negative impact on driving dynamics - sucks but that's the way it is and it won't be getting better.
Agree. My observation wasn't intended as a value judgement.

The interesting thing is that the Honda 6-speed is a "Hondamatic" design, essentially a robotically shifted manual transmission with an added torque converter to smooth things out. Whereas the Honda 10-speed is Honda's first "conventional" planetary gear transmission, which typically have independent clutches for each gear cluster, and it also has a lock-up torque converter. AFAIK planetary gear transmissions have the potential to be smoother than robotized manuals, depending on how the controls for the clutches are tuned.

So I think the comment about locking up the torque converter and keeping it locked during low-load shifting is quite interesting. That would be causing the transmission to behave more like a dual-clutch transmission ( which typically don't have a torque converter ). DCTs aren't known for their low-speed smoothness, but they are known for fuel economy.

But the whole drivetrain is different than the 2014 MDX. The torquey turbo I4 in 2019 RDX is fine with grunting it out at low rpm. The MDX's V6 is more effective in the middle rpm range. The transmissions are tuned around those engine characteristics.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:25 AM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
THIS is exactly why I waited to purchase a first year model.

If the jerkiness on the new RDX is worse than the 2018 Acura TLX 4 cyl DCT, then this kills it for me. The ZF9 jerkiness is intolerable, and the TLX 8 speed DCT is my benchmark for tolerability.

As I've mentioned on previous posts, I'd have both a TLX SHAWD Advance and MDX SHAWD Tech in my garage, but do not solely due to the jerky ZF9 speed.

I'm starting to regret not getting a 2018 RDX AWD Advance when I had the chance.

Right now the only new Acura vehicle presently made that I would be willing to purchase is the MDX Sport Hybrid Tech, but Acura choose to make very little of those, so actually getting one is impractical and unrealistic.

Disappointed with Acura. I'm getting tired of waiting. I really want Acura to succeed.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:29 AM
Burning Brakes

I drove 2 different Advance trims and did not notice anything unusual. Probably means nothing since I'm not familiar with the subtleties of the RDX.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:33 AM
Suzuka Master

I would file this under "Minor Nuisance Only". I took mine on a road trip from Houston to Dallas this weekend. loved it all the way there and back. No complaints.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stew4HD:
a35tl (07-04-2018), quantum7 (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 10:43 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by MadisonWI
Have any other new 2019 RRX owners noticed any rough shifting in the lower gears? Mine has a “stutter” when upshifting through the first couple lower gears when taking off from a stop. Took it into the dealer, they agreed it was not smooth but don’t have a fix at the moment. The demo unit at the dealer does the same thing. Hopefully a software update soon to smooth this out? Not what you would expect with a new car.
I am glad that you started this thread. Paying $40-50K for a vehicle and having a sloppy transmission would constantly aggravate me. It is also a mystery to me with a 4cyl and 10AT why the '19 doesn't have significantly better mpg than my '17. Are these just sales features with no benefit ?
Old 07-02-2018, 10:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by R. White
...It is also a mystery to me with a 4cyl and 10AT why the '19 doesn't have significantly better mpg than my '17. Are these just sales features with no benefit ?
Pulling class best HP/Torque out of a 2L engine has a price, and the price is mileage. Ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

The following users liked this post:
R. White (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 11:57 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Pulling class best HP/Torque out of a 2L engine has a price, and the price is mileage. Ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
Thank you for solving my mystery. I am more interested in MPG. With my 90% traffic driving, I probably should get a hybrid.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by R. White
Thank you for solving my mystery. I am more interested in MPG. With my 90% traffic driving, I probably should get a hybrid.
I got roughly 24MPG driving from Houston to Dallas and back, averaging about 75 mph in comfort mode, if that is any indication. If you are looking for mileage, the RDX is not for you.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
...If you are looking for mileage, the RDX is not for you.
+1. The RDX is as much a toy as it is a tool. That said it's mileage numbers are significantly better than my old '14 Cadillac SRX.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:14 PM
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts
Amazing to me that those of us who bought a 2019 RDX are very happy with it.
All the pissing and moaning is from people who haven't bought one and probably never will.
The following 8 users liked this post by catbert430:
a35tl (07-04-2018), AZ4035 (02-08-2019), birdonamission (07-02-2018), GW208 (07-02-2018), Outfitter (07-02-2018), Pens Fan (07-02-2018), pnoi521 (07-02-2018), Stew4HD (07-02-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-02-2018, 03:02 PM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
I got roughly 24MPG driving from Houston to Dallas and back, averaging about 75 mph in comfort mode, if that is any indication. If you are looking for mileage, the RDX is not for you.
Like I said, something to the same effect, before -- somewhere around these parts in another thread -- if you're super focused on mileage numbers and fuel efficiency and the RDX's numbers bring tears to your eyes, get a Leaf!

A deal-breaker is a deal-breaker, no matter what something someone is obsessing over (the "disappointing" mileage numbers; the Advance interwoven wheels; the "complicated" TTI; the "shocking" departure from a stick shifter to a push-button gear selector; and, oh, no, not the "super-ginormous" YUGE drive mode turn knob -- it is a travesty, the size of that thing). What else? Oh, yeah, the non-existent power-folding side view mirrors (wait, not a one of these, nor a combination of any of them, are "deal-breakers" for me)...
The following 2 users liked this post by birdonamission:
Outfitter (07-02-2018), Stew4HD (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 03:35 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraGuy2016
THIS is exactly why I waited to purchase a first year model.

If the jerkiness on the new RDX is worse than the 2018 Acura TLX 4 cyl DCT, then this kills it for me. The ZF9 jerkiness is intolerable, and the TLX 8 speed DCT is my benchmark for tolerability.

As I've mentioned on previous posts, I'd have both a TLX SHAWD Advance and MDX SHAWD Tech in my garage, but do not solely due to the jerky ZF9 speed.

I'm starting to regret not getting a 2018 RDX AWD Advance when I had the chance.

Right now the only new Acura vehicle presently made that I would be willing to purchase is the MDX Sport Hybrid Tech, but Acura choose to make very little of those, so actually getting one is impractical and unrealistic.

Disappointed with Acura. I'm getting tired of waiting. I really want Acura to succeed.

i am sure you can still find one. Look on Car JoJo
Old 07-02-2018, 03:38 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by birdonamission
Like I said, something to the same effect, before -- somewhere around these parts in another thread -- if you're super focused on mileage numbers and fuel efficiency and the RDX's numbers bring tears to your eyes, get a Leaf!

A deal-breaker is a deal-breaker, no matter what something someone is obsessing over (the "disappointing" mileage numbers; the Advance interwoven wheels; the "complicated" TTI; the "shocking" departure from a stick shifter to a push-button gear selector; and, oh, no, not the "super-ginormous" YUGE drive mode turn knob -- it is a travesty, the size of that thing). What else? Oh, yeah, the non-existent power-folding side view mirrors (wait, not a one of these, nor a combination of any of them, are "deal-breakers" for me)...
You left out the convoluted difficulty and the angst involved in turning off the auto shutdown at stops under certain conditions.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 07-02-2018 at 03:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Madd Dog:
birdonamission (07-02-2018), steve_97060 (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 03:44 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Madd Dog

You left out the convoluted difficulty and the angst involved in turning off the auto shutdown at stops under certain conditions.
And the cheat code for putting the wipers up.
birdonamission (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 03:54 PM
Pro

I listed the things people have been complaining about in my post totally tongue in cheek. I personally have no problem with any of the things listed on there.

Yeah, I know...my sense of humor. Very special, sometimes. Ha ha.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Madd Dog

Yeah, I sure hope I never sprain the index finger on my right hand. Would not be able to start the car, turn off start/stop, change gears, or use the infotainment system.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:01 PM
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by catbert430
Amazing to me that those of us who bought a 2019 RDX are very happy with it.
All the pissing and moaning is from people who haven't bought one and probably never will.
This is the truth. A lot of people on here whining that have never drove one or don't own one.
mrblase (02-20-2019)
Old 07-02-2018, 04:09 PM
Pro

Yeah, I sure hope I never sprain the index finger on my right hand. Would not be able to start the car, turn off start/stop, change gears, or use the infotainment system.
Oh, man... There are so many things you can't do if you have a sprained right index finger. The list is too long.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:25 PM
Burning Brakes

I actually see very little "pissing and moaning", but rather people noting some roughness in shifting and asking others if they have noted the same.
Most may recall the TLX in 14/15, the few who early on mentioned a rough shift got shit all over for not loving the car. We all know who that turned out. I am in no way suggesting that the 10 speed and the ZF9 are in any way comparable.
When I test drove the TLX it was immediately obvious the poor shifting and long delay in downshifting. The test drives that I have taken with the RDX showed little/no shifting issues. I thought that it drove very well, although my first test drive has ASS engaged, and the first thing that I did on the next test drive was to turn it off.

I personally welcome objective input from owners AND those who have test driven the car so that I can judge for myself.
The following 2 users liked this post by quantum7:
BruceLandry1 (07-03-2018), HotRodW (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 04:27 PM
Burning Brakes

I would file this under "Minor Nuisance Only". I took mine on a road trip from Houston to Dallas this weekend. loved it all the way there and back. No complaints.
Good to hear, especially with your experience with the ZF9.
I wish that the MPG were a little better for highway, but it is a lot of fun to drive, so I guess we have to pay a little for the fun factor and the immediate torque.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:09 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by birdonamission
Oh, man... There are so many things you can't do if you have a sprained right index finger. The list is too long.
dont worry though, if you have an advanced you can cut off your hand and still open the tail gate. Just cut off your ears too so the moan doesn’t annoy you
Old 07-02-2018, 05:14 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
I test drove an A-Spec and one Advance trim model two weeks ago, both models shifted fine in Comfort and Sport.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:21 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I wonder if the shifting issues are related to trying to do too much with one transmission. Since the car has four driving modes, that means you may have 40 different shifting points. That seems like a lot of possibilities for something to go wrong.

Quick Reply: Shifting issues