SH-AWD-How is the feel and performance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 10:12 PM
J37A5

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
SH-AWD-How is the feel and performance?

I wanna know from 2019 owners about the feel and performance of the SHAWD on the '19 RDX. I've always wanted Acura to bring it back for the RDX and now they did. So, what's the verdict? I love the SHAWD system (TL, TLX, MDX, ZDX).

I'd love to own a 3rd Gen RDX, but I won't give up the ZDX or the S2000 to do so...
Old 08-09-2018, 01:24 PM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
I have put mine in Sport+ mode and done a cloverleaf at 60+ miles per hour if that tells you anything... Amazing
Old 08-09-2018, 10:25 PM
J37A5

Yup...it sure does...very cool....so many Honda-made machines, so little money....damn..
Old 08-09-2018, 11:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Meto
I have put mine in Sport+ mode and done a cloverleaf at 60+ miles per hour if that tells you anything... Amazing
Agreed, it's terrific. Those who think AWD is only for snow will be missing something.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:07 AM
Cruisin'

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
I test drove both FWD and SH-AWD and was night and day. It's not about bad weather either Living in Houston, we don't really get snow, but SH-AWD definitely worth it if you at all enjoy driving. In simple terms, FWD drove more like Volvo XC60, SH-AWD felt more like BMW X3.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:35 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DesignerTom
Agreed, it's terrific. Those who think AWD is only for snow will be missing something.
AWD which is
on FWD based cars and only kicks in when front sleep occurs
only send 30% power to the rear
for a very short amount of time
up to 20-25 mile/hour speed

is only for snow

Instead of understanding and remembering that, AWD is for snow is simple for people.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:09 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
I have a favorite spot right near my house, which is the entrance to the highway.

It is a long uphill right-hand sweeper into its own lane until you get to the top of the hill about a half mile up with a long lead time so you can let those in front get out of the way.

I loved hitting that uphill right-hander in my 535, and letting that RWD pull me around and power up the hill. Today, I did it in the RDX with SH-AWD showing. As I hit the gas, I got three bars on the front wheels entering the turn, then the outside rear wheel picked up a couple of bars until the straight, and then three bars on the front and one on each rear up the hill. It did not sound as smooth as the twin-turbo six, but it did everything on that piece of road that the 535 did. You do have to trust it, because, in your mind, it is an SUV. On the road, when pressed, it runs like a sports sedan.

I'm impressed.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I have a favorite spot right near my house, which is the entrance to the highway.

It is a long uphill right-hand sweeper into its own lane until you get to the top of the hill about a half mile up with a long lead time so you can let those in front get out of the way.

I loved hitting that uphill right-hander in my 535, and letting that RWD pull me around and power up the hill. Today, I did it in the RDX with SH-AWD showing. As I hit the gas, I got three bars on the front wheels entering the turn, then the outside rear wheel picked up a couple of bars until the straight, and then three bars on the front and one on each rear up the hill. It did not sound as smooth as the twin-turbo six, but it did everything on that piece of road that the 535 did. You do have to trust it, because, in your mind, it is an SUV. On the road, when pressed, it runs like a sports sedan.

I'm impressed.
I agree 100%, did some of my favorite curves that I like to take my bikes on and the RDX really shined. Very impressive for an SUV and handles much better than my 2013 RDX with AWD. In fact I think it handles quite a bit better than my 2015 TLX I traded in.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:57 PM
J37A5

Thanks folks. The ZDX is so much fun to drive, well, so is the MDX for that matter, given the engine/drive train configuration (VTEC V6 and SHAWD), but the RDX is more nimble, so I suspect that aggressive cornering with the 2019 RDX would be a blast, and it sure sounds like it is. SHAWD is really a treat for "drivers" that enjoy spirited motoring...
Old 08-14-2018, 08:39 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
We had torrential rains here yesterday, and I was out in the midst of it. I can’t believe how well the RDX handled with all the water on the roads, it felt very secure. And I’m now a fan of the automatic wipers.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:44 AM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by DrWoo
We had torrential rains here yesterday, and I was out in the midst of it. I can’t believe how well the RDX handled with all the water on the roads, it felt very secure. And I’m now a fan of the automatic wipers.
It was pouring on my drive into work this morning.. The RDX is so sure footed and like you, the automatic wipers are awesome. I never touched the controls and it adjusted perfectly depending on the amount of rain falling
Old 08-14-2018, 10:17 AM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
We test drove a 2WD as that is all they had in the Houston area in the advance package. I had it in Sport+ mode and stepped on it a bit at the first light. Did not floor it, maybe half way. It spun out big time. The dealer laughed, but I was surprised at how easily it lost traction. Tried it out next on a corner and it again spun easily. I cannot imagine how it would be on wet roads.

The dealer said it could be 1-2 months to get the Advance SH-AWD models in Houston. So we called around and found a few in Dallas. Can't spin it out and corners are a joy.

We've had several MDXs with SH-AWD. The RDX handles much better than those. Far more nimble and responsive. The cornering is a neat feeling of being slung around.

My wife is a very light-footed driver, and she too noticed a big difference. No contest in our minds.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:28 AM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
I have an 18 TLX A-Spec and a 19 RDX A-Spec and I think the biggest and best difference between the two with regards to the SHAWD and overall performance is the new 10sp. It shifts much quicker and is much more responsive the the 9sp in the TLX.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:44 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
Sorry for the ignorant questions, but what exactly is SH-AWD, what does it do, and how does it compare to "regular" AWD?

Also, where I live is totally flat and never cold. No hills to speak of, no snow, ever. I was told that any type of AWD is a waste of money up front and a waste of the extra gas required (vs FWD) every time I fill up. Is this true? Not true?

Thanks in advance...
Old 08-19-2018, 10:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Sounds
Sorry for the ignorant questions, but what exactly is SH-AWD, what does it do, and how does it compare to "regular" AWD?

Also, where I live is totally flat and never cold. No hills to speak of, no snow, ever. I was told that any type of AWD is a waste of money up front and a waste of the extra gas required (vs FWD) every time I fill up. Is this true? Not true?

Thanks in advance...
Here's a quick description of SH-AWD - https://www.acura.com/mdx/modals/sup...ll-wheel-drive

Even though I live 'up north' and snow is a regular occurrence I get much more use out of AWD on dry and wet roads than I ever do in snow. I'ts not only for snow but for overall vehicle performance and handling. As to how it compares to 'regular' AWD it's the capability of transferring torque to where it will do the most good under the current driving conditions - something that most AWD systems cannot do.

As to it being a waste of money that's a subjective call based on individual priorities - an possibly the fact that whoever is telling you than has never driven with it and has not idea of how handling and performance is improved. Do you need it?...No. Does it make driving a bit safer and a lot more fun?.. Yes.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:59 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Here's a quick description of SH-AWD - https://www.acura.com/mdx/modals/sup...ll-wheel-drive

Even though I live 'up north' and snow is a regular occurrence I get much more use out of AWD on dry and wet roads than I ever do in snow. I'ts not only for snow but for overall vehicle performance and handling. As to how it compares to 'regular' AWD it's the capability of transferring torque to where it will do the most good under the current driving conditions - something that most AWD systems cannot do.

As to it being a waste of money that's a subjective call based on individual priorities - an possibly the fact that whoever is telling you than has never driven with it and has not idea of how handling and performance is improved. Do you need it?...No. Does it make driving a bit safer and a lot more fun?.. Yes.
Excellent reply, thanks very much!