SH-AWD... in Florida ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 08:09 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
SH-AWD... in Florida ???

Hi guys.

The question: will SH-AWD make a difference *in Florida* vs the standard FWD? (South Florida to be exact)

The facts: South Florida is totally flat. No hills to speak of. Because of this, the roads and highways are pretty much straight and/or in a grid. Snow is just a dream (it's not gonna happen). It does rain pretty hard at times, but mostly in short bursts, then it's gone.

So what do you think? Will SH-AWD do anything for the driving experience in Florida? Or is it mostly a waste of money? Not only the upfront cost but also the extra gas expense due to slightly lower gas mileage.

Thanks for your thoughts on this!
Old 08-24-2018, 08:34 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Although I live in the cold, cruel, North, both my parents and my wifes parents moved to FL. Mine in the mid ‘70s, hers in the ‘80s. They both lived on the West coast. We have been spending a month in FL each winter for the past 10+ years, on the East coast. Since the mid ‘70s, I doubt that there are as many as 5 years when we have not gone down there at least once.

With the straight roads and the biggest hill being a highway overpass, I don’t think the SH-AWD is worth it. If, however, you get out of FL each summer and drive through some hills, or come North where the roads are more interesting, that is another story.

I might be looking for an electric or hybrid SUV if I were to stay in FL. A RAV 4 or Lexus should get you ~30 mpg rather than a bit over 20 in typical FL driving.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:48 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
the SHAWD is beneficial in power delivery. test drive them both. you'll find, especially with the stock tires, the FWD version can easily spin the front tires without even trying.
The following users liked this post:
losiglow (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 08:59 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
With the straight roads and the biggest hill being a highway overpass, I don’t think the SH-AWD is worth it.
Actually the biggest hills are garbage dumps. But I don't drive on those.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:10 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
the SHAWD is beneficial in power delivery. test drive them both. you'll find, especially with the stock tires, the FWD version can easily spin the front tires without even trying.
Geez, no kidding. I beefed up my 4G but FWD is worthless at a standstill. Not that I drag race or anything, but any attempt to gun it at a stop results in an ass-load of screeching and wheel hop. I took on an S4 late one night and overtook him from about 30-80mph. Then we came to a red light. He was AWD. Decimated me from a stop.

OP - in my opinion, at least with my experience with Acura sedans, the SH-AWD is most worthwhile in cornering. The dynamic torqueing from Acura's AWD system is like magic. I opted not to pay extra for it because I felt it was a luxury, not a necessity. AWD is not critical in Utah, even in the snow. If I purchased it, it would be entirely for the handling and cornering ability. If for some reason you want to take quick corners, go for it. But for traction purposes? In Florida?
Old 08-24-2018, 09:29 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
What about Florida thunderstorms?
Old 08-24-2018, 09:34 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Good water dispersing tires will account for 90% of the effectiveness in resisting hydroplaning and slipping when it comes to wet roads. Tires > Drivetrain all day long.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:16 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
There are a few threads of 1st Gen RDX with fwd having issues with their half shaft issues with the turbo power to the fronts only. Time will tell if this will be an issue with the 3rd gen fwd RDXs.

Deciding on sh-awd or fwd all depends if you are a conservative or (semi) aggressive driver. Sh-awd is one of the few awd systems that work equally well on dry and increment weather AND high and low speeds. I have nothing but dry dry hot conditions in the southwest and get plenty of use with my sh-awd in my 08 RDX and 11 MDX. My MDX sh-awd is tuned a little more aggressively compared to my 1st Gen RDX. I can get torque vectoring on a right hand turn at a stop sign with my MDX and get 70% to the rears on inclines; which, I think the 3rd Gen RDX is tuned the same way. This make my MDX feel, drive, and handle like a much smaller vehicle than the +4600 lbs on the scale. The larger front/rear sway bars, 20" Conti DWS, and magnetic suspension on my MDX Adv and Eibach lowering springs, Conti DWS, larger rear progress RSB on my RDX also helps

I have a 270 degree on ramp loop near my house with a posted speed of 25 mph onto the interstate with a very short merge lane on a 65 mph hwy (it is 75 mph about 1/2 mile up the road). One thing I love about sh-awd is I can use less braking and carry more speed into a curve and it takes less power to exit at a even higher speed. I can hit the 25 mph loop at 45-50 mph, engage the throttle for sh-awd, and exit between 60-70 mph (depending if I'm trying to get ahead of other vehicles). I don't ride the brakes into curves until I'm straight like 99% of other drivers.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts
I have a 2016 RDX front wheel drive, had a 2014 MDX SH-AWD, now a 2019 RDX SH-AWD. The 2016 RDX constantly screetches tires coming out of parking lots. The rear wheels can't keep up with the fronts. The MDX was driven summer/winter, but even on dry pavement it handled beautifully. The RDX SH-AWD is fabulous—only in summer so far, but we have a lot of hills. The cornering, overall handling and control are excellent. Performance off the line in Sport+ is thrilling. I don't think I would have the same with FWD, and definitely not in the previous generation. To me, SH-AWD is totally worth it for performance alone.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:19 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I live in TX and test drove a FWD 2019 and front wheel spin is bad from a stop, even with non-aggressive driving. It's especially a problem when turning from a stop, a little gravel, etc.. These turbo engines have a lot of torque at low RPM's and it's really easy for the fronts to break loose. I drove an AWD and it's night and day difference on dry roads. No spin, much less drama. We decided on AWD, no-brainer for us. Also, the AWD comes with a spare and the FWD does not. My wife hated the idea of a car without a spare and I agree. She tends to run over stuff......nails, curbs.....
Old 08-24-2018, 06:58 PM
Racer

You guys are making this tough!
Old 08-24-2018, 07:11 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sounds
You guys are making this tough!

All the points are valid. You are in a tough choice. It is likely you will spin the fronts in several situations where you would not with AWD. There is a lot on either side of the fulcrum upon which the decision rests. Will you be peeling out on the Tamiami or 441? Will you be cruising South Beach or A1A?

A lot depends on how you drive it.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 08-24-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:00 AM
Racer

Out of curiosity I checked inventory on the websites of 3 local Acura dealers. None of them have any RDXs with SH-AWD in stock. Then I checked on an Acura dealer about an hour away. Only *one* of their RDXs have SH-AWD. There must be a reason for this, right?
Old 08-25-2018, 10:42 AM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
From my 2 local dealers

32 available: 3 SH-AWD
22 available: 1 SH-AWD

The other thread confirmed that most SH-AWD models are going to areas where snow is common.

My main reason for wanting SH-AWD is the wheel spinning during acceleration with FWD. I have that with my TL and don't want to deal with it on my next ride.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:55 AM
Racer

I typically do your basic "around town' type of driving. How much do you need to punch it to get the wheels spinning on acceleration?
Old 08-25-2018, 02:29 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sounds
I typically do your basic "around town' type of driving. How much do you need to punch it to get the wheels spinning on acceleration?
Test drive one on a rainy day. Shouldn’t be hard to find in FL nowadays.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Madd Dog

Test drive one on a rainy day. Shouldn’t be hard to find in FL nowadays.
Good idea. It rained for a while yesterday. And a little today. Supposed to rain some tomorrow. I think I'll be able to arrange it.