Notices

Seat Comfort Issue

 
Old 01-24-2019, 09:56 AM
  #1  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
beancount1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Western MA
Age: 69
Posts: 49
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Seat Comfort Issue

I owned Saabs for years before purchasing a 2016 RDX. One thing that I loved about the Saab was the seat comfort. I could ride all day without any discomfort. So when Saab went down the tubes and I needed a new vehicle seat comfort was a high priority. I found that in the 2016 RDX. I figured my new 2019 RDX with tech package would be just as comfortable, as it was during a 20 minute test drive. Well, Iím finding that after about an hour of driving I feel the need to squirm a bit in the seat. Too firmÖnot enough cushion? I donít know, but Iím disappointed that this 2019 seat doesnít provide long term comfort, at least in my case. My wife agrees that the seats are not as comfortable. I believe the higher level models have different seats with more adjustments, but itís not an adjustment issue for me. Not much I can do at this point, but thanks for letting me ventÖ.again. Do others have an issue with seat comfort?
beancount1 is offline  
Old 01-24-2019, 11:32 PM
  #2  
Registered Member
 
Marino Moutafis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: West Bloomfield, MI
Age: 48
Posts: 97
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
The seats for my frame (6ft, 180lbs) are both supportive and comfortable for me. I can drive all day and not get tired, or walk with a limp afterwards.

Seats were my primary reason I selected the RDX over the Q5, X3 and QX50. They had a perfect combination of support and comfort, to go with the cockpit feel of the car.

it did take me a good 2 weeks to find my ďsweet spotĒ. I played around and found sport bucket feel that supported my lumbar and upper back.

The seats are not perfect, a little firm and rigid around the middle thorasic area of the seat. I find the seatsí cooling/heating elements are bulky, and impead the seats ability to flex and support the passenger m.

2 months in, very happy with the 16 way adjustable seat options in the Advance for both the driver and passenger.
Marino Moutafis is offline  
Old 01-24-2019, 11:42 PM
  #3  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 16
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by beancount1 View Post
I owned Saabs for years before purchasing a 2016 RDX. One thing that I loved about the Saab was the seat comfort. I could ride all day without any discomfort. So when Saab went down the tubes and I needed a new vehicle seat comfort was a high priority. I found that in the 2016 RDX. I figured my new 2019 RDX with tech package would be just as comfortable, as it was during a 20 minute test drive. Well, Iím finding that after about an hour of driving I feel the need to squirm a bit in the seat. Too firmÖnot enough cushion? I donít know, but Iím disappointed that this 2019 seat doesnít provide long term comfort, at least in my case. My wife agrees that the seats are not as comfortable. I believe the higher level models have different seats with more adjustments, but itís not an adjustment issue for me. Not much I can do at this point, but thanks for letting me ventÖ.again. Do others have an issue with seat comfort?
not enough lumbar support. Had to place additional support. Not satisfied.
ed_k is offline  
Old 01-25-2019, 12:22 AM
  #4  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Roseville, CA
Age: 48
Posts: 249
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I agree on the lack of seat comfort for longer distances, but there are worse options out there. Seat comfort was a priority for me and I found the RDX acceptable on a 15-20 min test drive. BMW and Audi had worse seats even on a short drive. But if I drive longer distances then I do find myself trying to move my butt around. Maybe it's just old age.

There aren't very many options with great seats nowadays. I think Volvo is still #1, although the seats in the current models are not as good as seats from older models. Some day I will visit the Volvo dealer and try an XC40 to see if I really made a mistake (I wanted to try an XC40 at the time of buying the RDX, but there just weren't any available).
anoop is offline  
Old 01-25-2019, 07:25 AM
  #5  
Registered Member
 
MI-RDX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 992
Received 238 Likes on 168 Posts
The only car I've had with more comfortable seats was my '14 Cadillac. On a road trip in the RDX my bladder will give out long before my butt or back. I agree, however, that it took some time to find the 'sweet spot' of adjustments because of the number of combinations - in fact it's still a bit of a work in progress.
MI-RDX is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 04:22 PM
  #6  
Registered Member
 
spinedoc777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Age: 48
Posts: 120
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by beancount1 View Post
I owned Saabs for years before purchasing a 2016 RDX. One thing that I loved about the Saab was the seat comfort. I could ride all day without any discomfort. So when Saab went down the tubes and I needed a new vehicle seat comfort was a high priority. I found that in the 2016 RDX. I figured my new 2019 RDX with tech package would be just as comfortable, as it was during a 20 minute test drive. Well, Iím finding that after about an hour of driving I feel the need to squirm a bit in the seat. Too firmÖnot enough cushion? I donít know, but Iím disappointed that this 2019 seat doesnít provide long term comfort, at least in my case. My wife agrees that the seats are not as comfortable. I believe the higher level models have different seats with more adjustments, but itís not an adjustment issue for me. Not much I can do at this point, but thanks for letting me ventÖ.again. Do others have an issue with seat comfort?
The seat's kind of suck. I was spoiled by my previous 2016 Genesis with stock/base seats, WOW those seats were comfortable and supportive. The RDX has very little lumbar support, that's with the lumbar inflated all the way out. I had to get a inflatable lumbar pillow so my back wouldn't hurt on long drives. Bolster support is minimal, so you end up sliding around when taking curves/turns quickly. Seat bottoms could be longer to provide some leg support.
spinedoc777 is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 07:22 PM
  #7  
Registered Member
 
MarineOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 96
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
The seats in my Advance are exceptional; very comfortable with 16-way adjustment.
MarineOne is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 07:43 PM
  #8  
Registered Member
 
Yotrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 319
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I don’t think “Seat Comfort Issue” is an issue, is a matter of preference of individuals...
Yotrek is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 08:54 PM
  #9  
Registered Member
 
DrWoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Age: 60
Posts: 195
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by MarineOne View Post
The seats in my Advance are exceptional; very comfortable with 16-way adjustment.
Agreed. My wife and I did 8 hours straight in our Advance today, comfortable ride. Only reason we stopped at 8 hours was the start of rain at nightfall. We did 12 hours straight on a trip a few months ago.
DrWoo is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 09:02 PM
  #10  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Roseville, CA
Age: 48
Posts: 249
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
If folks dislike the seats it would help if you stated what they think has acceptable comfort according to them (in this segment in a current model).
anoop is offline  
Old 01-30-2019, 11:12 AM
  #11  
Registered Member
 
spinedoc777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Age: 48
Posts: 120
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by anoop View Post
If folks dislike the seats it would help if you stated what they think has acceptable comfort according to them (in this segment in a current model).
I can't compare crossovers as I only test drove a few, but I can't see getting a good opinion of seat comfort just from 10 minutes of driving. The seats on my previous 2016 Genesis were MUCH better, not the same segment but at least the same price range. Better fit, finish, better leather quality, much better cushion/overall support, much better lumbar support, moderately better bolster support. This is on the base model seats. I could (and did) sit in those seats for hours and hours. The seats on the X3/X4 were not much more comfortable, but they provided more support which means more comfort long term, the bolsters really held you in snugly and they had good lumbar support. The Santa Fe seats were more comfortable as well, but more in a plushy feel which may not have panned out long term. Tucson seats were pretty atrocious, so I won't even put them in the same category. That's about all I test drove.

For some reason the RDX seats remind me of the seats I had in a 2008 Corvette I bought brand new. Just really thin and narrow without much support anywhere, I hated those seats. I don't hate the RDX seats, I just feel they cheaped out on them and could have made them better.
spinedoc777 is offline  
Old 01-30-2019, 12:23 PM
  #12  
Registered Member
 
MarineOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 96
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by spinedoc777 View Post
I can't compare crossovers as I only test drove a few, but I can't see getting a good opinion of seat comfort just from 10 minutes of driving. The seats on my previous 2016 Genesis were MUCH better, not the same segment but at least the same price range. Better fit, finish, better leather quality, much better cushion/overall support, much better lumbar support, moderately better bolster support. This is on the base model seats. I could (and did) sit in those seats for hours and hours. The seats on the X3/X4 were not much more comfortable, but they provided more support which means more comfort long term, the bolsters really held you in snugly and they had good lumbar support. The Santa Fe seats were more comfortable as well, but more in a plushy feel which may not have panned out long term. Tucson seats were pretty atrocious, so I won't even put them in the same category. That's about all I test drove. For some reason the RDX seats remind me of the seats I had in a 2008 Corvette I bought brand new. Just really thin and narrow without much support anywhere, I hated those seats. I don't hate the RDX seats, I just feel they cheaped out on them and could have made them better.
I differ on your eval of the seats. Mine are well made with thick, solid padding and offer excellent support; in the seat bottom, lumbar, and side bolsters. I agree on the Corvette seats, real cheap!
MarineOne is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Outfitter (05-08-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 01:00 PM
  #13  
Registered Member
 
Stew4HD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 5,427
Received 1,007 Likes on 662 Posts
I driven from Houston to Dallas a few times in my RDX which is a 4 hour + drive. I have had no issues with the seats. I find them to be quite comfortable. It did take a bit to get them adjusted just right at first.
Stew4HD is offline  
Old 01-31-2019, 08:31 AM
  #14  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Age: 40
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The seats in my 2017 Acadia Denali are much more comfortable for long drives. I do a 3 to 4 hour drive just about every month to visit family in another state. On our first trip with the Tech package RDX my wife and I both noticed how uncomfortable things got after about the first hour. I've messed around with the settings and have gotten to the point where it's not bad, but it's nowhere near the Acadia. Of course it drives ten times better so I guess that's the trade off, haha.
linkkingx is offline  
Old 01-31-2019, 09:26 AM
  #15  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Arizona
Age: 67
Posts: 491
Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
As has been mentioned, everyone has a different shape body, with different "wear and tear", so to speak. So I doubt there is one seat that will be the most comfortable to everyone. The amount of adjustability is just one factor.

I remember a few years ago (just how many, I don't recall!) all the mainstream auto mags reported that the "New redesigned Accord" had the best and most comfortable seats ever. Or in so many words. My wife and I took a very long test drive in one, and didn't find them to be any better or worse than our Camry (at the time). We had both suffered back aches from long drives in our Camrys and thought the Accord might be the way to go.

While fairly common on the driver's seat, a big thing to us is the availability of adjustable lumbar support on the passenger seat. Surprisingly, my wife's '15 Ford Escape Titanium has this feature...rare in a non-Luxury vehicle. She finds those seats to be among the best she has spent any time in. She has not spent much time in my new RDX yet, but during the test drive, she commented that the seats were very comfortable.
JB in AZ is offline  
Old 01-31-2019, 10:31 AM
  #16  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
beancount1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Western MA
Age: 69
Posts: 49
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by linkkingx View Post
The seats in my 2017 Acadia Denali are much more comfortable for long drives. I do a 3 to 4 hour drive just about every month to visit family in another state. On our first trip with the Tech package RDX my wife and I both noticed how uncomfortable things got after about the first hour. I've messed around with the settings and have gotten to the point where it's not bad, but it's nowhere near the Acadia. Of course it drives ten times better so I guess that's the trade off, haha.
I'm wondering if there's a difference in the construction of the seat between the tech package including the non-tech model and the advanced models, other than number of adjustments available. As I read through the thread it seems that most of those with the advanced model don't have an issue with comfort. I have my seat adjusted ergonomically perfect for me and it's uncomfortable after riding for a time. I could ride all day in my 16 RDX which is a primary reason I stayed with the RDX for 19. Acura had to change something in my opinion.
beancount1 is offline  
Old 01-31-2019, 11:01 AM
  #17  
Registered Member
 
Marino Moutafis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: West Bloomfield, MI
Age: 48
Posts: 97
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Side bolsters and leg extension are a big reason the RDX seats work for me.

In comparison to my GLC300, which only has heated seats, the RDX materials are less giving. The leather and heating/venting seat material is less flexible than the GLC.

You sit "in" the GLC seat, while you sit "on" the RDX.

That being said, both work for me. Having a history of lumbar and cervical disc issues, the RDX helps me correct poorer posture by "placing" me on my sit. Firm, support and structure where I need it. The GLC is softer, but also not as supportive after 4-5 hours of driving.
Marino Moutafis is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 03:34 PM
  #18  
Registered Member
 
spinedoc777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Age: 48
Posts: 120
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Marino Moutafis View Post
Side bolsters and leg extension are a big reason the RDX seats work for me.

In comparison to my GLC300, which only has heated seats, the RDX materials are less giving. The leather and heating/venting seat material is less flexible than the GLC.

You sit "in" the GLC seat, while you sit "on" the RDX.

That being said, both work for me. Having a history of lumbar and cervical disc issues, the RDX helps me correct poorer posture by "placing" me on my sit. Firm, support and structure where I need it. The GLC is softer, but also not as supportive after 4-5 hours of driving.
I'm assuming you don't have a base model? It seems like this might be the difference, as I have a base model and find the side bolsters very lacking, and the leg support is bad because the bottom seat isn't long enough and the base model doesn't have the leg support extension. I would not recommend the base model seats to a patient, that's for sure. Now I'm bummed I didn't test drive the Advance model, as the salespeople told me the seats were pretty much the same.

spinedoc777 is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 03:48 PM
  #19  
Registered Member
 
Marino Moutafis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: West Bloomfield, MI
Age: 48
Posts: 97
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by spinedoc777 View Post
I'm assuming you don't have a base model? It seems like this might be the difference, as I have a base model and find the side bolsters very lacking, and the leg support is bad because the bottom seat isn't long enough and the base model doesn't have the leg support extension. I would not recommend the base model seats to a patient, that's for sure. Now I'm bummed I didn't test drive the Advance model, as the salespeople told me the seats were pretty much the same.
Yes, I have the Advance. Seat materials I believe differ, as well as matching 16 way adjustments for both driver and passenger from Base/Tech/ASpec. My GLC only has 14 way for the driver, 8 for the passenger.
Marino Moutafis is offline  
The following users liked this post:
spinedoc777 (02-05-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 09:46 PM
  #20  
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Age: 67
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 RDX Seat Causes Right Leg Pain

I realized within two weeks that the seats in my new 2019;RDX were causing sciatica and IT band pain issues in my leg. Dealer adjusted seats in various ways, I have worked on the seat adjustments. In the position that makes the seat bottom the longest still does not support my knee/leg. I am 5 ft 3 inches, so I cannot figure out how anyone can drive this car without this same problem when there is no leg support and I have to push the gas pedal with my toe. Driving about an hour starts this pain. AM SO VERY DISAPPOINTED IN THIS CAR. Spent lots of hard earned dollars to buy it but will have to sell it at about 2 years. My Sante Fe nor my Jeep Liberty NEVER caused leg pain.
KYGrits is offline  
Old 05-05-2019, 08:39 AM
  #21  
Registered Member
 
hockeyaddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: BC
Posts: 47
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by KYGrits View Post
I realized within two weeks that the seats in my new 2019;RDX were causing sciatica and IT band pain issues in my leg. Dealer adjusted seats in various ways, I have worked on the seat adjustments. In the position that makes the seat bottom the longest still does not support my knee/leg. I am 5 ft 3 inches, so I cannot figure out how anyone can drive this car without this same problem when there is no leg support and I have to push the gas pedal with my toe. Driving about an hour starts this pain. AM SO VERY DISAPPOINTED IN THIS CAR. Spent lots of hard earned dollars to buy it but will have to sell it at about 2 years. My Sante Fe nor my Jeep Liberty NEVER caused leg pain.
It looks like these one comment and done "the rdx is bad. I am angry" members have switched to posts instead of threads. Someone has clearly been creating these new accounts to sabotage RDX. Not sure what acurazine can do but it is discouraging to see these types of phantom posts that can affect the casual lurkers who are actually interested in the rdx.

The first thing I did when I took ownership was adjusted the seats to my comfort setting. It took me a few days and trips to perfrct the setting and I have not had any problems for long drives.
hockeyaddict is offline  
Old 05-05-2019, 08:57 AM
  #22  
Registered Member
 
Madd Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 1,350
Received 338 Likes on 251 Posts
I have 11,000 miles on the car, including a round trip drive to FL of 1300 miles each way. To me, the seats are perfectly fine.
Madd Dog is offline  
Old 05-05-2019, 10:07 AM
  #23  
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Age: 67
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is not a canned response. I just found this site yesterday when I googled to see if anyone else had the same issue. I was delighted with the car but am finding that I cannot drive longer than an hour without my right leg hurting. Many people, including the dealership, have adjusted the seat every possible way.
KYGrits is offline  
Old 05-05-2019, 10:55 AM
  #24  
Registered Member
 
DrWoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Age: 60
Posts: 195
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by KYGrits View Post
This is not a canned response. I just found this site yesterday when I googled to see if anyone else had the same issue. I was delighted with the car but am finding that I cannot drive longer than an hour without my right leg hurting. Many people, including the dealership, have adjusted the seat every possible way.
which model do you have? We have an Advance with the 16-way adjustable seats. My wife is 4í11Ē and also has occasional issues with sciatica, but has no issue with the RDX seats. One day we did 12 hours of driving, and I think she did 8 hours behind the wheel, and no problem.
DrWoo is offline  
Old 05-05-2019, 12:24 PM
  #25  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Age: 69
Posts: 221
Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts
First I fully understand how unhappiness with seats can affect the overall view of a car. Seats are critical. That said, I felt the seats in my 2016 Advance were the best car seats I ever had--and I've had plenty. I really like the seats in the 2019 Advance but they are a different seat. If I was expecting exactly what I had before and loved, then I would be disappointed. But I'm really pleased with the 2019 seats. And I'm still a huge fan of this RDX. Amazing car.
romer is offline  
Old 05-07-2019, 06:21 AM
  #26  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Age: 43
Posts: 272
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Check out seats on Q5 and X3, you will start loving RDX seats. One of the main reason for us to go for RDX was seat comfort. We found seats on XC60 was better than RDX but still purchased RDX for other factors.
Coolguy is offline  
Old 05-07-2019, 08:56 AM
  #27  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: IL
Posts: 130
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Coolguy View Post
Check out seats on Q5 and X3, you will start loving RDX seats. One of the main reason for us to go for RDX was seat comfort. We found seats on XC60 was better than RDX but still purchased RDX for other factors.
I agree on the X3. The Q5, however, had the most comfortable seats of any vehicle I've been in. The RDX is fine, just not as good as the Q5.

That said, everyone's different. Thoroughly test a vehicle before you purchase it. You don't want to be stuck with something you can't get comfortable in.
JustMe... is offline  
Old 05-07-2019, 09:18 AM
  #28  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
beancount1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Western MA
Age: 69
Posts: 49
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
All I can say is for both me and my wife this 2019 RDX Tech is nowhere near as comfortable as my previous 2016 RDX tech. I believe that Acura, in order to keep the price reasonable compared to previous year models, and to provide new technology and design for 2019, had to make cuts somewhere. In my opinion the seats were one of those areas where cuts from previous models took place. Also, while the turbo 4 is good, it costs less to manufacture than a 6 cylinder.
beancount1 is offline  
Old 05-08-2019, 01:45 AM
  #29  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Roseville, CA
Age: 48
Posts: 249
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by beancount1 View Post
All I can say is for both me and my wife this 2019 RDX Tech is nowhere near as comfortable as my previous 2016 RDX tech. I believe that Acura, in order to keep the price reasonable compared to previous year models, and to provide new technology and design for 2019, had to make cuts somewhere. In my opinion the seats were one of those areas where cuts from previous models took place. Also, while the turbo 4 is good, it costs less to manufacture than a 6 cylinder.
I don't know if it's cost cutting or weight cutting but this seems to be the case with a number of car makes. It has even affected Volvo which is renowned for their seating--their newer cars are not as comfortable as the previous gen. And have also heard similar complaints about Honda, Toyota, and others.
anoop is offline  
Old 05-08-2019, 08:46 AM
  #30  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Arizona
Age: 67
Posts: 491
Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by anoop View Post
I don't know if it's cost cutting or weight cutting but this seems to be the case with a number of car makes. It has even affected Volvo which is renowned for their seating--their newer cars are not as comfortable as the previous gen. And have also heard similar complaints about Honda, Toyota, and others.
It all boils down to fuel economy...any place the engineers can save some weight, and seats are a prime example.

As an extreme example, take a look at the early Honda Insight, the seats were like beach chairs.
From a Car and Driver review of 2000 Insight: "..There were a few ... negative comments about the seats, with their minimalist padding,"

Last edited by JB in AZ; 05-08-2019 at 08:50 AM.
JB in AZ is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
nebj00la
3G TL Problems & Fixes
0
02-14-2014 12:14 PM
Carlito
Second Generation TL (1999-2003)
11
01-29-2007 12:12 PM
cg-hound
First Generation TSX Discussion (2004-2008)
15
09-09-2006 07:21 PM
stonecanoe
Second Generation CL Discussion (2000-2003)
15
05-30-2002 07:41 AM
mhpellerin
Second Generation CL Discussion (2000-2003)
0
03-16-2002 08:49 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seat Comfort Issue


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.