savagegeese 2019 Acura RDX Review | The Best Acura in 15 Years

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 05:52 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom2
Good review overall, but no mention of the navigation shortcomings (no ability to manually zoom, no address book, etc...)
Really No address book? What about Speed Dial? Can someone confirm about address book and speed dial please?
Old 02-28-2019, 12:03 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
The most solid advice right here. I was telling people to wait and kept being told "But this is a Honda product"....not saying I told some of you so but.....naah won't say it lol.

Sould wait because it's a Honda product... Honda usually F's up the first MY somewhere...
Old 02-28-2019, 10:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
Sould wait because it's a Honda product... Honda usually F's up the first MY somewhere...
My first year first gen RDX was absolutely impeccable. Not one single issue. Acura just sucks now.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
The most solid advice right here. I was telling people to wait and kept being told "But this is a Honda product"....not saying I told some of you so but.....naah won't say it lol.
ya, that's the common theme here. I recall folks citing years of CR recommendations and Honda reliability. New design, new crew, new plant, new 10AT, new Infotainment.... doesn't take a genius to see the freight train coming....

If you must get a first year model of anything, do yourself a favor and lease the sucker. The member that was going to trade in for F-Pace.... lease!
Old 02-28-2019, 10:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by acuraada
ya, that's the common theme here. I recall folks citing years of CR recommendations and Honda reliability. New design, new crew, new plant, new 10AT, new Infotainment.... doesn't take a genius to see the freight train coming....

If you must get a first year model of anything, do yourself a favor and lease the sucker. The member that was going to trade in for F-Pace.... lease!
RIGHT?! I mean I understand that there are some major issues and I'm not putting people down or trying to disregard their problems or anything but honestly what did people expect?
Old 02-28-2019, 10:50 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
RIGHT?! I mean I understand that there are some major issues and I'm not putting people down or trying to disregard their problems or anything but honestly what did people expect?
I leased, with a great residual price. So far, so good.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Marino Moutafis

I leased, with a great residual price. So far, so good.
Smart call, that's exactly what I would have done. Then if I liked it, bought it then. But it's ok, I don't want to rub it in people's faces or anything. Here's hoping updates roll out and it's smooth sailing!
Old 03-01-2019, 04:45 AM
Null and proud of it

My first year first gen RDX was absolutely impeccable. Not one single issue. Acura just sucks now.
Mine has had a lot of the 1G RDX problems like the door lock/window actuators, A/C clutch/condenser coil, ignition, radio and A/C compressor were replaced by original owner under warranty, ect... But is still drives like new!

I washed a black 2019 A-Spec and that thing was gorgeous...
Old 03-01-2019, 06:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I completely disagree with you but hey, you are entitled to your opinion.

I had an awesome ride to work this morning, so that is what matters to me. Not one hiccup, error, bug, nothing. I am not the only one but many here don't like to hear positive feedback.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:27 AM
Burning Brakes

it is an awesome car! Hey I feel for those that purchased early and having problems but we got members here who insist on it's reliability despite numberous reports by members here, CR ratings and even Acura's own onePack videos! . Be glad you got a problem free RDX!

We want to highlight and push issues so Acura can improve and get back it's laruel of the past.
​​
Old 03-01-2019, 07:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Seems you all would rather those of us with mostly trouble free cars to remain quiet though, which is why I speak up. By reading the posting about recommending the RDX, roughly 80% would recommend it. I am not in the minority.

Then again, it's nothing new. I have been here since owning a 3G TL and seen the same thing in every forum.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:25 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Sport plus reduces the “hunting” under light throttle.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 191 Posts
I know someone who bought a brand new Lexus and it died on them 3x on long road trips, 3 separate road trips, just off and dead. Dealer could not figure it out, was considered a lemon and they got a new car. EVERY brand has lemons, including Acura, and including Toyota, Lexus, Porsche, Subaru, all the top brands. There are too many parts and things that have to be done correctly to 100% get perfect cars off the assembly line, most of them are great with little issue, unless it’s a design flaw, those who got RDXs with lots of issues, it really sucks, but a majority of RDX owners do not have many if any problems. Since the last update and a reset to my entertainment system I have had no problems at all.
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 10:43 AM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Dereileak
I know someone who bought a brand new Lexus and it died on them 3x on long road trips, 3 separate road trips, just off and dead. Dealer could not figure it out, was considered a lemon and they got a new car. EVERY brand has lemons, including Acura, and including Toyota, Lexus, Porsche, Subaru, all the top brands. There are too many parts and things that have to be done correctly to 100% get perfect cars off the assembly line, most of them are great with little issue, unless it’s a design flaw, those who got RDXs with lots of issues, it really sucks, but a majority of RDX owners do not have many if any problems. Since the last update and a reset to my entertainment system I have had no problems at all.
Every brand has problems and there will always be anecdotal stories about people having issues or no issues at all.

Some brands have better reputations than others. Toyota/Lexus always seems to be at or near the top of various reliability studies/polls etc. But that doesn’t mean there will never be problems. Maybe it means you’ll have a lower probability of problems.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Mine has had a lot of the 1G RDX problems like the door lock/window actuators, A/C clutch/condenser coil, ignition, radio and A/C compressor were replaced by original owner under warranty, ect... But is still drives like new!

I washed a black 2019 A-Spec and that thing was gorgeous...
That's fair enough, maybe I just got a good build on mine. But to be fair, none of those issurs you mentioned are nearly as dramatic as some of the issues people are mentioning here. But I respect your input definitely!

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I completely disagree with you but hey, you are entitled to your opinion.

I had an awesome ride to work this morning, so that is what matters to me. Not one hiccup, error, bug, nothing. I am not the only one but many here don't like to hear positive feedback.
That's cool, and I'm glad you did. But it's foolish to sit here and act like Acuras are as reliable today as they were in the past based on your anecdotal evidence. It's obvious on many fronts that they are not.

I don't think it's right or fair for people to expect those without problems to stay silent, however I also don't think it's fair to keep trying to shut people up when they do have issues. Your RDX is good and that's great, others are having issues and they should be allowed to complain as much as they want too. It goes both ways.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:51 PM
Burning Brakes

That's fair enough, maybe I just got a good build on mine. But to be fair, none of those issurs you mentioned are nearly as dramatic as some of the issues people are mentioning here. But I respect your input definitely!

That's cool, and I'm glad you did. But it's foolish to sit here and act like Acuras are as reliable today as they were in the past based on your anecdotal evidence. It's obvious on many fronts that they are not.

I don't think it's right or fair for people to expect those without problems to stay silent, however I also don't think it's fair to keep trying to shut people up when they do have issues. Your RDX is good and that's great, others are having issues and they should be allowed to complain as much as they want too. It goes both ways.
there is no evidence from simply reading theses forums that they are less reliable today then they used to be either, if you look between the years 1986-2000s there was not much for forums or internet communication between people with issues with their cars, including Acura, reading posts over and over about people with issues will make any car seem like it’s full of trouble. I’m not discrediting people with real issues, because there are some, but how can you prove this current car won’t go 200-400k miles with only basic maintenance, compared to their older cars. We are in a 1st year of a first gen, there are gonna be issues, it’s like anything else, first gen consoles don’t usually last as long, some live forever, first gen of any product with new designs will have issues, I hope everyone gets their issues worked out, and those who have limp mode problems, or all the gauges lights coming on do have reliability problems, I hope I never hit those, but those could be caused by very simple bugs that need attention, and the amount of people hitting this are very few and far between

Last edited by Dereileak; 03-01-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:16 PM
Suzuka Master

there is no evidence from simply reading theses forums that they are less reliable today then they used to be either, if you look between the years 1986-2000s there was not much for forums or internet communication between people with issues with their cars, including Acura, reading posts over and over about people with issues will make any car seem like it’s full of trouble. I’m not discrediting people with real issues, because there are some, but how can you prove this current car won’t go 200-400k miles with only basic maintenance, compared to their older cars. We are in a 1st year of a first gen, there are gonna be issues, it’s like anything else, first gen consoles don’t usually last as long, some live forever, first gen of any product with new designs will have issues, I hope everyone gets their issues worked out, and those who have limp mode problems, or all the gauges lights coming on do have reliability problems, I hope I never hit those, but those could be caused by very simple bugs that need attention, and the amount of people hitting this are very few and far between
Not just from the forums, from various review and reliability surveys. From the theme I am getting from long term Acura owners, From talking to current and past Acura owners both online and in real life...etc. I have always conceded that forums are places where people who have issues come to vent. So I don't just look at forums alone as a marker for anything. I've also read time and time again all over the place that Acura just isn't the same. I've been a huge fan of the brand for a long long time and for the first time ever (since the 2000-2005 transmission debacle) I'm hesitant to recommend any of their products to friends and family.

Acura today is FAR more complex than Acura was yesterday. That alone invites more space for issues to pop up. It's very difficult to increase complexity without increasing the chance of more issues occurring. That's just basic logic. Furthermore you're asking me to prove it can't go to 200-400k and I cannot, how can you prove that it WILL given the new SH-AWD setup, the new transmission, the new platform, the new electronics?

acuraada (03-02-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 04:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Not just from the forums, from various review and reliability surveys. From the theme I am getting from long term Acura owners, From talking to current and past Acura owners both online and in real life...etc. I have always conceded that forums are places where people who have issues come to vent. So I don't just look at forums alone as a marker for anything. I've also read time and time again all over the place that Acura just isn't the same. I've been a huge fan of the brand for a long long time and for the first time ever (since the 2000-2005 transmission debacle) I'm hesitant to recommend any of their products to friends and family.

Acura today is FAR more complex than Acura was yesterday. That alone invites more space for issues to pop up. It's very difficult to increase complexity without increasing the chance of more issues occurring. That's just basic logic. Furthermore you're asking me to prove it can't go to 200-400k and I cannot, how can you prove that it WILL given the new SH-AWD setup, the new transmission, the new platform, the new electronics?
it will be interesting in 10-20 years to see what cars are still on the road due to the crazy amount of electronics in them nowdays, and see what things still work
Old 03-01-2019, 05:25 PM
Suzuka Master

it will be interesting in 10-20 years to see what cars are still on the road due to the crazy amount of electronics in them nowdays, and see what things still work
Totally agreed. I see a lot of these super complex vehicles today and I can't see them being around in 20 years.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:31 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Totally agreed. I see a lot of these super complex vehicles today and I can't see them being around in 20 years.
I'm not sure I would want today's vehicles in 20 years... just imagine what the new ones will be at that time, and what they will be able to do!
Old 03-01-2019, 06:23 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
I had a 1970 Duster, and except for the enjine, it was a total POS. Nobody ever said a bad word about when we bought it new. I went halvsis with my dad, and I wanted the BMW 2002, which only cost about 50% more. Since my contribution was capped by cash on hand, I figured it was a good deal. My father said, you get a Plymouth Duster or take the bus.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:17 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I had a 1970 Duster, and except for the enjine, it was a total POS. Nobody ever said a bad word about when we bought it new. I went halvsis with my dad, and I wanted the BMW 2002, which only cost about 50% more. Since my contribution was capped by cash on hand, I figured it was a good deal. My father said, you get a Plymouth Duster or take the bus.
You didn't want the ti version?

My first new car was a 72 Barracuda with the 340.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
I'm not sure I would want today's vehicles in 20 years... just imagine what the new ones will be at that time, and what they will be able to do!
lol so true! I look at the first generation X5 and MB M-Class and I'm like holy crap THIS WAS LUXURY?!?! What is most amazing to me is it seems like the luxury vehicles have moved up say 2 degrees but the mainstream class has moved up 20 degrees. Who's to say in 20 years the luxury class won't exist anymore?
Old 03-01-2019, 10:56 PM
Null and proud of it

lol so true! I look at the first generation X5 and MB M-Class and I'm like holy crap THIS WAS LUXURY?!?! What is most amazing to me is it seems like the luxury vehicles have moved up say 2 degrees but the mainstream class has moved up 20 degrees. Who's to say in 20 years the luxury class won't exist anymore?

Kia proved that in 2011 when everything got redesigned, and every other brand has been doing so since then!

However.

Prestige is one thing... And of course, the appointments that accompany a luxury name plate such as better N/V/H, creature comforts and overall refinement and solidity. But mainstream brands have really been doimg well, that's for sure!
Old 03-01-2019, 11:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Kia proved that in 2011 when everything got redesigned, and every other brand has been doing so since then!

However.

Prestige is one thing... And of course, the appointments that accompany a luxury name plate such as better N/V/H, creature comforts and overall refinement and solidity. But mainstream brands have really been doimg well, that's for sure!
True, you will always have the badge situation but things like NVH have gone up tremendously since the early 2000's. You can now buy a Jeep GC literally lined in leather. That says a lot to me.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:04 AM
Null and proud of it

True, you will always have the badge situation but things like NVH have gone up tremendously since the early 2000's. You can now buy a Jeep GC literally lined in leather. That says a lot to me.
Yup! You do have a point there!
Old 03-02-2019, 08:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Driving today's car in 20 years:

"What? you still need to steer your car?"

"That thing takes gasoline? Where do you fill up?"

"ICE? oh ya, when I was little I remember my dad had one of those..."
JB in AZ (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 08:50 AM
Burning Brakes

However.

This is so true. Both Kia and Hyundai has done it. One thing that the we do expect mainstream to do well is reliability. Hyundai started to turned their image around by offering 10yrs/100k miles warranty on their powertrain. No one complains about issues in Ferrari, Lambos, etc, it is within expectation despite of the prestige and luxury image.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:27 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada
This is so true. Both Kia and Hyundai has done it. One thing that the we do expect mainstream to do well is reliability. Hyundai started to turned their image around by offering 10yrs/100k miles warranty on their powertrain. No one complains about issues in Ferrari, Lambos, etc, it is within expectation despite of the prestige and luxury image.
I agree, Hyundai/Kia made a big leap when they started the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty, giving the buyer some sort of peace of mind that if they have a major issue down the road, it will be covered. It also means that the manufacturer had better improve their quality, or they will be bankrupt. However, while I feel a good warranty is important, I really don't want to spend much time at the dealer.

If the car isn't "reliable" than I won't enjoy driving and owning it And, like other have said, I agree that reliability has to do with almost anything that requires a dealer visit. JMHO
Old 03-02-2019, 06:44 PM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm sure many of today's vehicles will still be on the road 10-20 years from now, but they'll be sold mostly by individuals and we-tote-the-note car lots on the likes of Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace.

10 years ago, the 2009 Acura RDX didn't have ventilated seats or any of the safety and assistance features of AcuraWatch. It didn't support Bluetooth streaming audio or even have a USB port. It did, however, have a CD player.

20 years ago, navigation systems were extremely rare in all but the most expensive models in the most expensive luxury brands. Cassette players were common. Bluetooth for phone calls didn't yet exist in cars. Satellite radio did not exist.

20 years from now, a 2019 RDX will probably still be on the road with 240,000 miles on it, but the in-car electronics will be more laughable than a factory 8-track player is today.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:47 PM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by zroger73
I'm sure many of today's vehicles will still be on the road 10-20 years from now, but they'll be sold mostly by individuals and we-tote-the-note car lots on the likes of Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace.

10 years ago, the 2009 Acura RDX didn't have ventilated seats or any of the safety and assistance features of AcuraWatch. It didn't support Bluetooth streaming audio or even have a USB port. It did, however, have a CD player.

20 years ago, navigation systems were extremely rare in all but the most expensive models in the most expensive luxury brands. Cassette players were common. Bluetooth for phone calls didn't yet exist in cars. Satellite radio did not exist.

20 years from now, a 2019 RDX will probably still be on the road with 240,000 miles on it, but the in-car electronics will be more laughable than a factory 8-track player is today.

I feel pretty muxh like a late 1990's car has almost everything I need, and a 2005-2009 model has it all... Anything past that really doesn't matter, to me that is...
Old 03-02-2019, 08:09 PM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
I feel pretty muxh like a late 1990's car has almost everything I need, and a 2005-2009 model has it all... Anything past that really doesn't matter, to me that is...
Naturally, needs and wants are variable. Anything that gets me to work and back is all I need and that includes a Ford Model T. However there are certain features like power brakes, power steering, and air conditioning that I consider needs. Given my trade frequency and tendency to buy top trim levels, I'm accustomed to having most of the latest technology whether or not I actually use or benefit from it. Buying a 5 year-old vehicle or a base trim would be like pitching a tent out in the middle of nowhere with no A/C, no internet, and no hot/cold water...to me.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:18 PM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by zroger73
Naturally, needs and wants are variable. Anything that gets me to work and back is all I need and that includes a Ford Model T. However there are certain features like power brakes, power steering, and air conditioning that I consider needs. Given my trade frequency and tendency to buy top trim levels, I'm accustomed to having most of the latest technology whether or not I actually use or benefit from it. Buying a 5 year-old vehicle or a base trim would be like pitching a tent out in the middle of nowhere with no A/C, no internet, and no hot/cold water...to me.

I always "need" mid trim or higher...

I need leather, keyless entry, heated seats, steering wheel audio controls, XM satellite radio...

I have a 2011 Kia Optima EX (non-tech) fully loaded that replaced my 2008 base TL. I miss the refinement and tried and true feeling of the TL or a Honda in general...

Eyeing a 2007 Accord V6 as a replacement for the Optima... That's all I need and honestly, all I ever wanted anyway...