Renew Security Package

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 07:03 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Renew Security Package

I am thinking of canceling the security package now that it’s coming due. What do the rest of you think about the value of that package? Are you going to pay $89 to renew it? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:45 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
I canceled it. I didn’t see the benefit. Yes, if you are in a serious accident it would automatically call for help, but I figure what are the odds of that? I’ve been driving for 45 years and have never been in an accident where I would have used it. Plus, it irritated me that they were going to automatically renew the security package without me signing up for it (I have the remote service, so they have my credit card info).
Old 07-14-2019, 05:47 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
sounds like a money grab
Old 07-14-2019, 06:56 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Does the Remote package include the Security package?

I'm planning to take the remote package when the trial ends.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:52 AM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
Does the Remote package include the Security package?
Nope. I believe they are separate.

Originally Posted by justnspace
sounds like a money grab
What he said.

I allowed them both to expire, and I don't miss them.

And unlike "Exes", if you decide you actually DO miss them, all it takes is a phone call and a credit card.

Oh wait, is that really so different?
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 04:44 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Old 08-24-2019, 06:31 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
Keep an eye on your credit card charges. I signed up for the remote service a few months ago, and Acura apparently assumes that you then automatically want the security package. I called before the security trial expired to cancel, but lo and behold they still renewed it and charged me for it. I called last night to cancel, rep tells me that since I called before the trial expired, the previously rep couldn’t cancel it at that time without ending my trial (?).
NooYawkuh (08-24-2019)
Old 08-24-2019, 07:48 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
My Remote and Concierge package is about to expire and I plan to take the Remote package. I'm surprised I haven't received an email or som'p'n' scaring me into re-upping. I haven't entered a a CC# or done anything on the site. I think I'll just let it lapse before I renew. Site says 8 days left.

If anyone has the Remote package, do you know how to clear the history from sent destinations? I can clear it from the car but I can't clear it from the app. Even clearing cache and data (which is like a new app installation) didn't do it. I haven't tried uninstalling / reinstalling but clearing data is usually the same thing. I can clear favorites but I can't clear the sent destination history.

Last edited by NooYawkuh; 08-24-2019 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:10 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
I was away when I got the email that they were going to charge me for the security package.

I called when I got home, still before it was renewed and cancelled it by phone. They charged me anyway. I called back, and after finally telling them to reverse the charges and stop trying to sell it to me, they did. Except they only gave me credit for the actual charge. I had to call them back to have them credit me for the sales tax.

It was not only a pain, it was inherently dishonest to charge my card for the security package merely because they had my number from the remote package.

This, and a bad experience at the Acura dealer are turning me off to Acura as a brand. I still like the car as a car, but annoyances are piling up.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 08-24-2019 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:30 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Considering the promises for AA and problems here and there with RDX, they should consider it FREE ...
Old 12-11-2019, 08:15 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It took two weeks to get AcuraLink working on my new RDX. During those two weeks, I spent 3 to 4 hours on the phone jumping through their hoops before they acknowledged that it was their fault and they fixed it. One of the hoops was that it wasn’t working because my credit card information wasn’t in the app. Weirdly, putting my credit card information in did not miraculously make my VIN appear in their database. Once my VIN appeared in their database, it also did not make the app realize that I had a trial subscription and that it hadn’t expired. Now that my credit card information is in the app, it won’t let me delete it.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
Just say “no”
Old 12-13-2019, 10:21 AM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
Just called and canceled mine, seems fairly useless, just wanted to make sure it didn't affect my roadside assistance. I kept the remote package, but am miffed that it's not monthly as I really only need it for the cold months.

FYI when speaking to the acuralink rep he said their system wasn't smart enough to keep one service only such as the remote. So you will have to remove your credit card from acuralink and then add it again when the remote package runs out.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:35 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spinedoc777
Just called and canceled mine, seems fairly useless, just wanted to make sure it didn't affect my roadside assistance. I kept the remote package, but am miffed that it's not monthly as I really only need it for the cold months.

FYI when speaking to the acuralink rep he said their system wasn't smart enough to keep one service only such as the remote. So you will have to remove your credit card from acuralink and then add it again when the remote package runs out.
I don’t think the app lets you remove your credit card? And concierge runs out at the same time as remote, anyway, so I’m not sure that would help.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:39 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
I tried to cancel about 2 weeks before it was scheduled to expire. At that time they had “so called computer problems” and were unable to cancel. They recommended I wait until the charge hits my credit card (foolish of me to give them my CC# when I first purchased the vehicle). So as soon as the $89 charge first appeared on my statement I contacted them again. They said it would be credited in 2-3 days. It wasn’t. Called back. They gave me a case number and a credit promise. Still nothing. Long story short, I’ve called 5 times and just got the run around each time. I finally contacted my credit card company and was told they will verify and provide the credit. I swear those acuralink people are as bad as any boiler room sales people. My advice is don't give them a credit card number if you can avoid it.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by beancount1
I tried to cancel about 2 weeks before it was scheduled to expire. At that time they had “so called computer problems” and were unable to cancel. They recommended I wait until the charge hits my credit card (foolish of me to give them my CC# when I first purchased the vehicle). So as soon as the $89 charge first appeared on my statement I contacted them again. They said it would be credited in 2-3 days. It wasn’t. Called back. They gave me a case number and a credit promise. Still nothing. Long story short, I’ve called 5 times and just got the run around each time. I finally contacted my credit card company and was told they will verify and provide the credit. I swear those acuralink people are as bad as any boiler room sales people. My advice is don't give them a credit card number if you can avoid it.
many years ago I had similar experience with XM radio, got sucked in into $5 per month promotion, which when expired I tried canceling many times and they just keep billing full amount. Dozens of phone calls, and finally CC dispute helped me. I am pissed at XM and they will never get my business again.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:03 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by russianDude
many years ago I had similar experience with XM radio, got sucked in into $5 per month promotion, which when expired I tried canceling many times and they just keep billing full amount. Dozens of phone calls, and finally CC dispute helped me. I am pissed at XM and they will never get my business again.
I pay them by check, and set up an alert on my calendar for when I have to argue with them to get the price down.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:19 AM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by spinedoc777

it almost reads like remote is an add-on to the security package. Like you have to have security in order to add the remote package.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:35 AM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
i no longer fight with companies like this. Now, they get 1 phone call or email, and then i just file an online dispute with my credit card company. I tell them it’s an unauthorized charge because I canceled the service. They are always on my side and immediately credit my account and then they work on my behalf to contact the company and get the service canceled. I’ve done this at least a half dozen times and it has been stress free every time.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:42 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Cuzz
i no longer fight with companies like this. Now, they get 1 phone call or email, and then i just file an online dispute with my credit card company. I tell them it’s an unauthorized charge because I canceled the service. They are always on my side and immediately credit my account and then they work on my behalf to contact the company and get the service canceled. I’ve done this at least a half dozen times and it has been stress free every time.
Good point. This is certainly the last time I go through this crap with acuralink. Once this card expires I'll go the check route...until then, right to the credit card resolution the first time they try to screw me over.
Old 12-14-2019, 12:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Good point. This is certainly the last time I go through this crap with acuralink. Once this card expires I'll go the check route...until then, right to the credit card resolution the first time they try to screw me over.
yeah, spending 1 hour on phone to fight $30 charge is not cost effective for my time, its more valuable
Old 12-14-2019, 04:40 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by russianDude
yeah, spending 1 hour on phone to fight $30 charge is not cost effective for my time, its more valuable

I’m retired. So an hour yelling on the phone for $30 is more cost effective than an hour yelling at kids to get off my lawn.
markm929 (12-14-2019)