Remote starter accessory-complicated install

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 11:44 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Remote starter accessory-complicated install

After reading the accessory installation instructions, I'm not so sure I want to get this; it appears all of the rear interior trim has to be removed and the headliner dropped to install the sensor unit [see attached]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BII07802-02.PDF (503.9 KB, 1377 views)
Old 06-13-2018, 12:41 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I would like to know this as well. There is remote start with the app already and I assume the transmitter is already already installed and the dealer would only need to program the fob? Can anyone confirm this?
Old 06-13-2018, 01:55 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
Me too! I saw that install sheet. Rip the entire back of the car apart, including the headliner, just to wire in and install the receiver. Then to top that all off, you still need a proprietary deal to program the remotes, so DIY is probably not a reality at all.

Seem silly that they removed that feature when I have it in my 17 RDX Advance as a standard.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
You have to have the key fob remote start installed. Or you can use the AcuraLink app. Spoke to the dealership and asked this question and they confirmed it was a 5 hour installation! Should have come with all packages. Lame it isn't there.
The following users liked this post:
shame on Acura (11-09-2021)
Old 06-13-2018, 06:37 PM
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by r1ckster
You have to have the key fob remote start installed. Or you can use the AcuraLink app. Spoke to the dealership and asked this question and they confirmed it was a 5 hour installation! Should have come with all packages. Lame it isn't there.
Flat rate time is 1 hour per Acura
Old 06-14-2018, 11:04 PM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
If that indeed is the case, I no longer have interest in this car. Stupid move by Acura.

Remote Start is included in most CRV trims!!! I don't want a dealer removing a large part of a brand new car.

I have a 2016 Accord and live in a really hot climate, so I use this feature all the time.

I would have gladly paid $400 if it was a special remote, but if a dealer has to rip out the car, I am very disappointed with Acura.

This should be a standard feature in Tech or higher!!

I will consider the Advance if it is included. If not, this omission has killed the 2019 for me, since I use the feature all the time.
shame on Acura (11-09-2021)
Old 06-15-2018, 07:46 AM
mch
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Similarly pissed off about remote start, we got the advance thinking it came with Remote start since the Acura RDX Builder explicitly said it was a feature of advance.. but it was a "mistake" and they are removing the feature from the website.

Disappointed they wouldn't at least let the advance line have remote start from the App included... all about that month to month $.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:07 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So just to confirm:

All models support remote start via Acuralink app ($100+ annual subscription required)

None of the models come with key fob remote start as a standard option and it requires the transmitter to be installed (complex).
Old 06-15-2018, 09:42 AM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by G_Money
So just to confirm:

All models support remote start via Acuralink app ($100+ annual subscription required)

None of the models come with key fob remote start as a standard option and it requires the transmitter to be installed (complex).
100% correct.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:00 AM
Racer

Wow. Extremely Disappointed by this. It's not even the money, I would have been willing to jump to the Advance package for that feature. I do not want half of a brand new expensive vehicle being ripped out. This feature should included at the factory. Either the remote start key fob costs extra $400, but no ripping out the car, or just make the feature standard and factory installed on Tech trims and above (as with MDX) and charge a little extra.

Fob remote start is included on Honda CRV and Accord EX and above trims!! This feature should be included on the upscale more premium brand higher trims!

I use this feature nearly every day and its so convenient to use one hand walking to the vehicle to remote start, open trunk, and unlock.

Fumbling on my phone with an app, multiple hands to use the app, while still needing that key fob to open trunk and unlock is extremely inconvenient for a modern higher end supposedly tech laden vehicle.

I plan to contact Acura corporate & client relations to provide feedback to include this on 2020+ and recommend you do too.

Acura found a way to kill my interest in a vehicle I had been looking forward to.

I would have already had a TLX SHAWD Advance and a MDX SHAWD Tech in my garage but I don't solely because of the ZF 9 speed. I was really looking forward to going back to the brand.

Disappointed.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:55 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

I agree that the internal part should have been there, then the fobs be the extra cost along with the programming. Having to rip the entire back of a brand new $50K car apart to put in what should be a standard item on a car of that price is a joke.

"It's in the app" is not the same thing by a longshot.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:52 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Really doesn’t make any sense to have to tear sort the car to add this sensor. Are we 100% sure that sensor isn’t there on tech and above packages? Or at least
it should be there in advanced. I get that having it should cost more and be part of the a spec or adv trim, but not having the wiring already in place is a real head scratcher. Why can’t it be added somewhere less invasive?
Old 06-15-2018, 04:57 PM
Pro

I also wonder if you could order one with this installed from the factory? Might have to wait months but if you really wanted it that way maybe they can?
Old 06-15-2018, 05:27 PM
Racer

This was a big miss on Acuras part on an otherwise promising vehicle. They did OK on TLX (but only included remote start part of Advanced which forces the unacceptable ZF), and hit it right on the MDX - standard on Tech and above (but still requires the unacceptable ZF).

Again, I recommend spreading the word, voicing dissatisfaction to Acura corporate, client relations, and dealer management. It won't do anything for 2019 MY, but may influence 2020+ MY and future TLX, MDX from this debacle.

I don't mind paying extra for a fob or Advanced trim, or to slightly increase trim prices and making this feature standard, but I very much mind fumbling with an app while getting to my car after working hard or having a brand new $50k car ripped apart.

That is huge miss and Acura should be notified.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:48 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dizzyg12
I also wonder if you could order one with this installed from the factory? Might have to wait months but if you really wanted it that way maybe they can?
Will Acura actually take factory "orders" or is "ordering" no more than just reserving one from the existing production allotment?
Old 06-16-2018, 04:10 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mattski
Will Acura actually take factory "orders" or is "ordering" no more than just reserving one from the existing production allotment?
no idea - throwing it out there tho so maybe someone can ask or has insight
Old 06-17-2018, 02:45 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I too think this was a stupid mistake, but I think they did it to push people to paying for the app month after month after month. In the end probably more money for Acura. But Acura always manages to do at least one stupid thing with each vehicle... with the TLX it was that awful transmission, with the '19 RDX it is the lack of remote start and those ugly wheels on the Advance. These may not be deal breakers, but sometimes you just have to ask yourself... Really Acura??? WTF were you thinking? It is almost like someone at Acura says.. hey we don't want to sell too many cars, what can we do to slow down sales?
Old 06-17-2018, 08:23 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Looking at the Canadian specs for the 2019 RDX, "remote engine starter with vehicle feedback" is listed as standard - for all trims.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:25 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I think the most important feature for me besides the remote start abilities is the increases range if the RF remote and the feedback. There have been many times I’ve walked away from my TLX only to remember to double check that I locked it up. With the feedback I could be around the corner from the car and be able to tell if it’s locked—quickly. If the app (LTE based?) is quick then it may work better than the remote, especially if it has a good iOS widget. I have the app now and it is slow to locate the vehicle and confirm command. Sometime up to a minute or 2.

Anybody have any experience with the app in the new rdx?
Old 06-18-2018, 03:24 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by burn1010
I think the most important feature for me besides the remote start abilities is the increases range if the RF remote and the feedback. There have been many times I’ve walked away from my TLX only to remember to double check that I locked it up. With the feedback I could be around the corner from the car and be able to tell if it’s locked—quickly. If the app (LTE based?) is quick then it may work better than the remote, especially if it has a good iOS widget. I have the app now and it is slow to locate the vehicle and confirm command. Sometime up to a minute or 2.

Does this app based remote start only work if the car's WiFi in enabled? I would guess so.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:36 AM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Does this app based remote start only work if the car's WiFi in enabled? I would guess so.
It relies on mobile data - there is an LTE radio installed - AcuraLink subscription is separate from the AT&T hotspot subscription.
Rocket_man (06-19-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 11:58 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

Originally Posted by burn1010

Great point. I use that feature (Green LED) way more than the remote start. The more I think about it the more I am getting annoyed that this feature has been removed and replaced with an option.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:24 PM
Advanced

Acura Canada has some youtube videos of the Acuralink app but they dont demonstrate real world usage.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I might be picking up my new ride this evening. The dealer threw in remote start install for free, as part of the deal. I’ll post any thoughts I have on the install job. My current car has the key fob and a remote start on an app, I tend to use the key fob more which is why I wanted it on this vehicle. But the app is great for when you’re sitting in a restaurant or at work and want to get your car toasty before you get there
Old 06-18-2018, 05:14 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I too think this was a stupid mistake, but I think they did it to push people to paying for the app month after month after month. In the end probably more money for Acura. But Acura always manages to do at least one stupid thing with each vehicle... with the TLX it was that awful transmission, with the '19 RDX it is the lack of remote start and those ugly wheels on the Advance. These may not be deal breakers, but sometimes you just have to ask yourself... Really Acura??? WTF were you thinking? It is almost like someone at Acura says.. hey we don't want to sell too many cars, what can we do to slow down sales?
I agree this is mistake by Acura not to include remote start on either the Advance or A-Spec. I have a 2016 RDX Advance and remote start is a standard feature right on the key fob. No app needed, etc. I've only used it a few times, mostly in winter to pre-warm/de-ice the car. It's a nice feature but not a deal breaker for me. But for Acura NOT to include this on the 2019 is nuts.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I just picked up my new RDX. The dealer threw in the remote start. I looked all over, and I couldn’t tell anything that they might’ve pulled apart to get that installed, so they did a great job. I’m glad I have it now, as I use it a lot on my current vehicle
a35tl (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 09:49 PM
DWG
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave48103
I just picked up my new RDX. The dealer threw in the remote start. I looked all over, and I couldn’t tell anything that they might’ve pulled apart to get that installed, so they did a great job. I’m glad I have it now, as I use it a lot on my current vehicle
Glad to hear the install looked good. I thought the posts about "ripping apart a $50k new car" were a little over the top.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
My guess is that they left some features out for next years worth of upgrades. I can just see it now,

2020 RDX features:
Full LED rear lights (the omission of this on 2019 is highly suspicious)
Remote starts on key fob standard on upper models
Rear seat AC zone (tri-zone AC)
40:20:40 split seats
A-Spec is now an appearance package available for upper models

Anyone else?
Old 06-20-2018, 04:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon2008RDX
I agree this is mistake by Acura not to include remote start on either the Advance or A-Spec. I have a 2016 RDX Advance and remote start is a standard feature right on the key fob. No app needed, etc. I've only used it a few times, mostly in winter to pre-warm/de-ice the car. It's a nice feature but not a deal breaker for me. But for Acura NOT to include this on the 2019 is nuts.
I agree is "nuts" but probably more likely "greed" . They want to push AcuraLink which is additional reoccurring revenue (think music subscriptions) for them.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:53 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
It seems cheap for Acura to not include remote start on the app for free. My daughters Chevy Equinox even includes remote start.

I signed up for the 3 trials they give you that includes the remote start and remote lock/unlock for my Advance. I can see the subscriptions active on my head unit, and my iphone app is giving me some car info, like odometer and miles left on the tank of gas, but I keep getting a system error if I try any of the remote features. Of course, Acuralink support is only Monday thru Friday, and I signed up on Friday night. Anyone else have the app working?
Old 07-14-2018, 06:15 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Originally Posted by DrWoo
It seems cheap for Acura to not include remote start on the app for free. My daughters Chevy Equinox even includes remote start.

I signed up for the 3 trials they give you that includes the remote start and remote lock/unlock for my Advance. I can see the subscriptions active on my head unit, and my iphone app is giving me some car info, like odometer and miles left on the tank of gas, but I keep getting a system error if I try any of the remote features. Of course, Acuralink support is only Monday thru Friday, and I signed up on Friday night. Anyone else have the app working?
I got the remote app to work, but it was/is a pain in the butt. I have an iPhone and it's constantly asking for my fingerprint everytime I use the START or STOP engine. Half of the time it doesn't connect, and when it does it takes over a minute for it to respond. I got so annoyed I went and had the real remote start installed. Now I am happy.

I don't think I will ever use AcuraLink, the app, again until they get it more refined.
burn1010 (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 10:04 PM
Advanced

Thanks oblio. I was waiting to hear some feedback regarding the app. The remote start on my tlx works like a charm and range is great but like you said the App is slow. Thought it would be better with LTE in rdx but I guess thats not the case.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:40 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by acuraada
My guess is that they left some features out for next years worth of upgrades. I can just see it now,

2020 RDX features:
Full LED rear lights (the omission of this on 2019 is highly suspicious)
Remote starts on key fob standard on upper models
Rear seat AC zone (tri-zone AC)
40:20:40 split seats
A-Spec is now an appearance package available for upper models

Anyone else?
Remote starts is included in all Canadian trims so maybe this will be only an US feature for 2020
Old 07-16-2018, 07:08 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by koolyce
Remote starts is included in all Canadian trims so maybe this will be only an US feature for 2020
You guys get everything. Must be cause Canadians are so darn nice.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:41 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Fury63

You guys get everything. Must be cause Canadians are so darn nice.
I won't say we have everything, but definitely I think we get more as a base, but at the end, quite sure we pay for it. For example, mud guards are included, which I think is not the case with the US version.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:26 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Update: Called Acura customer service tonight, and my problem connecting the app to my car is being sent to engineering so they can send a fix to my car. Said it will take 1 to 2 days. Operator said I'm getting info like odometer an range on the app because they are sent via bluetooth to the phone.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:49 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada
I agree is "nuts" but probably more likely "greed" . They want to push AcuraLink which is additional reoccurring revenue (think music subscriptions) for them.
I will not buy the car for this reason alone.I refuse to give monthly revenue to Acura/Honda for something that should be free in a car. Pretty soon there will be a monthly charge for the air we breath or $..50 cents every time we turn on the A/C in the car.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:00 PM
Pro

Update: Called Acura customer service tonight, and my problem connecting the app to my car is being sent to engineering so they can send a fix to my car. Said it will take 1 to 2 days. Operator said I'm getting info like odometer an range on the app because they are sent via bluetooth to the phone.
not true because I’m not home and my wife had the car out and I only know because the odometer and has levels changed. 😂. I’m 1300 miles away and it’s reporting data to the app.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Dizzyg12

not true because I’m not home and my wife had the car out and I only know because the odometer and has levels changed. ��. I’m 1300 miles away and it’s reporting data to the app.
I am not surprised at all by what you are seeing, because the HondaLink app has a similar behavior. Information such as odometer reading, range, and tire pressure is supposedly transmitted over Bluetooth to a paired mobile device - these features are available on all recent Honda vehicles from Civic to Odyssey - but in reality that is not necessarily the case for vehicles equipped with an LTE uplink. When I bought my van last year, it came with a 3-month trial of the "Remote" tier of HondaLink, and a 12-month trail of the "Security" tier. After 3 months tire pressure readings disappeared completely from HondaLink app on my phone, and after 12 months odometer reading and range estimate stopped updating (prior to that they would show up on ANY mobile device with HondaLink signed in to my account so apparently the information was transmitted to Honda via the onboard LTE module).
Old 07-20-2018, 06:08 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
For those thinking about the key fob remote start accessory, the fob is pretty big - especially compared to the regular one. And yes, you end up with four fobs (two remote start, two standard).

(Sorry this pic seems huge - first time uploading a photo...)

DWG (07-20-2018)

Quick Reply: Remote starter accessory-complicated install