Remote start via app

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 12:59 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Remote start via app

Can someone answer this question or direct me to a thread where it has been discussed...

...what are the options for remote start capability besides the key fob? Is Acuralink the answer? I tried to look up the FAQ on the Acura link and couldn't find any info on remote start option.

Old 07-26-2018, 03:23 PM
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
They will give you AcuraLink for free the first 6 months. After that it’s $110 a year. This is for the 2019 RDX. Download the app and you can look up options
The following users liked this post:
knhellesky (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 03:36 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Catman70
They will give you AcuraLink for free the first 6 months. After that it’s $110 a year. This is for the 2019 RDX. Download the app and you can look up options
Thanks! much appreciated.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
You can see the plans, and features with pricing after the complimentary period.

https://acuralink.acura.com/#/availability/2019/RDX
Old 07-27-2018, 12:42 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by fligster
You can see the plans, and features with pricing after the complimentary period.

That's for the link! That's exactly the info I was looking for.

That being stated. The cost is significantly more compared to the Starlink services from Subaru; which you can get at $375 for 7 years (w// purchase of new vehicle).

I don't have any first hand experience on the subscription services, so I'm not quite sure yet if they're worth the cost.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:45 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I just bought my new RDX last week and have been using Acura Link app regularly and am really enjoying it. Once the free six months ends, I would definitely like to keep the app for the winter months to warm up my car when I am coming home from work. Does anyone know if you can pay just month to month?
Old 07-27-2018, 08:01 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TLMDXRDX
I just bought my new RDX last week and have been using Acura Link app regularly and am really enjoying it. Once the free six months ends, I would definitely like to keep the app for the winter months to warm up my car when I am coming home from work. Does anyone know if you can pay just month to month?
So can you access the Acura Link outside the phone app (from a browser)? Some poor folks like me don't have the luxury of being able to bring our mobile devices at our place of work.

I guess if you break it down on a monthly cost...it becomes a little more reasonable. Not sure if you can do the monthly subscription though.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:03 AM
10th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by knhellesky
So can you access the Acura Link outside the phone app (from a browser)? Some poor folks like me don't have the luxury of being able to bring our mobile devices at our place of work.

I guess if you break it down on a monthly cost...it becomes a little more reasonable. Not sure if you can do the monthly subscription though.
Unfortunately I don't think you can do it on a browser.

I just logged into my account on the acuralink website and I can't do anything the app can.

I hope you can find a way to bring your phone to work, for what that is worth.
knhellesky (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 08:11 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by froston13
Unfortunately I don't think you can do it on a browser.

I just logged into my account on the acuralink website and I can't do anything the app can.

I hope you can find a way to bring your phone to work, for what that is worth.
Thank you for checking...much appreciated.

Disappointed to hear that it can't be accessed via a browser.

Unfortunately...the "no mobile phones" in our work building will not change anytime soon
Old 08-27-2018, 02:47 PM
2013 RDX tech Amber

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
When I use the App to remote start and then I get in car it states push break plus the start button to engage when I do that it turns the car off. I am sure I am doing something out of sequence any suggestions. Love the option to remote start in Texas so I don't burn upon entry to car.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:49 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Make sure you are pushing the brake when you push the start button.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:12 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Hold the push button in while stepping on the brake. If you just push it, the car will turn off.

I have not been able to successfully send a destination to the car unless I am in the car and the infotainment system is booted. But everything else works. I have a ticket open, but don’t seem to be making much progress with them.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:43 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got my 2019 RDX and my question does the car have to have the remote start alarm fob with work with the Acura link app to start the car?
Old 09-05-2019, 07:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fligster

Probably a dumb question but after the complimentary period ends, what services does AcuraLink offer for free?
Old 09-06-2019, 06:59 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by Sundeep Rakalla
I just got my 2019 RDX and my question does the car have to have the remote start alarm fob with work with the Acura link app to start the car?
Just the features listed under "Basic" here.
https://acuralink.acura.com/#/compat...2019&model=RDX

To me, the Remote package seems to be the sweet spot in the paid subscriptions. Assuming the app works well for you. For many, it doesn't.

Last edited by NooYawkuh; 09-06-2019 at 07:01 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:57 PM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by Sundeep Rakalla
No, you do not need the remote start option installed to start the car with the app. Only to start the car with the fob. The difference is the fob will start the as soon as you press the button, as long as the fob is in range. The app will start the car from anywhere in the world but it could take up to a minute for the command to get to the car and for the app to acknowledge it. The engine will shut off after 10 minutes if it's not renewed.

The remote start option comes with two additional fobs and requires the installation of a radio transceiver. Installation ranges anywhere from $600-800. The kit alone costs about $300 if you're out of your mind and you want to DIY. To install the transceiver in the headliner near the shark antenna, you have to gut half the interior of the car. Someone did a video of it in the DIY subforum. Then you still have to pay a dealer to program the fobs. That's about $100-150.

The app has additional remote functions (lock, unlock, flash lights, horn, car locator, etc.) and is worth it, IMO, assuming it works for you. Many people say it works like shit or not at all. For me the app has been fast and flawless. YMMV. If you just got the car, download the app and try it. You have a 6 month free trial.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:48 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Remote AC

I love the remote start. It gets up to 100F in Sacramento. I'll be sad once trial ends. I would get a subscription but wife said it's too "bougie".
Old 09-06-2019, 09:54 PM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by RDX2O2O
... but wife said it's too "bougie".
... and an Acura is not?!
Waetherman (10-08-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 08:41 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
I like the ability to check if I locked the car, and if not, lock it via the app. This iteration of the app is an improvement over the previous version which only worked some of the time in my experience. The only issue with this new version is that one has to be patient. Once getting into the app you have to wait while it retrieves all the info, then sending info to the car, waking the car, etc. It close to a minute before the action takes place.
Shampoch (10-06-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 01:32 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, looks like its another trip to dealer to repair me remote start
Old 09-10-2019, 06:35 AM
Skeptic

I just got an update on the app this morning. Says version 4.0.7.

I don't see any new features but it may be faster. It launched, connected to the car and displayed dashboard status in just a few seconds. I hadn't used the app in several days.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:42 AM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
I just got an update on the app this morning. Says version 4.0.7.

I don't see any new features but it may be faster. It launched, connected to the car and displayed dashboard status in just a few seconds. I hadn't used the app in several days.
The change is that "Remote commands are now immediately accessible upon opening the app"

In the previous version, commands could not be sent for about 30 seconds while the app updated the status of the RDX ( e.g. locks, lights, etc). If someone just wanted to unlock the doors, it was a nuisance waiting for the 30 seconds. In the new version the locks (or horn, or lights, etc.) could be unlocked immediately.

The drawback to this new feature, is that if you glance at the graphic of the RDX when you open the app, you will be seeing the status of the locks, lights, engine, etc. etc.,at the last time the app was used. That could be several weeks ago in my case.

You will now need to manually refresh the status graphic if your intent is to check the current status of your RDX. Make a point of checking the "last update time" on the screen to be certain that what you are looking at is accurate.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:33 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
The change is that "Remote commands are now immediately accessible upon opening the app"

In the previous version, commands could not be sent for about 30 seconds while the app updated the status of the RDX ( e.g. locks, lights, etc). If someone just wanted to unlock the doors, it was a nuisance waiting for the 30 seconds. In the new version the locks (or horn, or lights, etc.) could be unlocked immediately.

The drawback to this new feature, is that if you glance at the graphic of the RDX when you open the app, you will be seeing the status of the locks, lights, engine, etc. etc.,at the last time the app was used. That could be several weeks ago in my case.

You will now need to manually refresh the status graphic if your intent is to check the current status of your RDX. Make a point of checking the "last update time" on the screen to be certain that what you are looking at is accurate.

I just received the app update this morning and it's much faster. Agree with RDX-Rick comment about retrieving status update lag, but overall it's a huge improvement.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:56 PM
Skeptic

Ah hah, the app appears to launch faster but ya wanna know what? Yes, the remote functions appear immediately but the dashboard doesn't update at all. It displays the status from when app was last shut down. You have to swipe / refresh to get the current info. That still takes as long as usual.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:25 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
Just tried the nav “send to car” feature in the app, which broke with update D.1.1.4. Now it says “connection required” and to connect your phone to the vehicle via Bluetooth to get directions. So apparently this feature no longer works unless the car is on, like it was prior to the February update.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DrWoo
Just tried the nav “send to car” feature in the app, which broke with update D.1.1.4. Now it says “connection required” and to connect your phone to the vehicle via Bluetooth to get directions. So apparently this feature no longer works unless the car is on, like it was prior to the February update.
I tried it this morning and it worked fine. The car wasn't on. It was sent to car and waiting for me when the nav came up.
Waetherman (10-10-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 01:07 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Ditto. I had never even tried the "send to car" feature until last week, but it has worked flawlessly!
Old 09-11-2019, 01:17 PM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by beancount1
I tried it this morning and it worked fine. The car wasn't on. It was sent to car and waiting for me when the nav came up.
Originally Posted by Huskr84
Ditto. I had never even tried the "send to car" feature until last week, but it has worked flawlessly!
Any idea how to delete the "send-to history" from the app? I have a call into tech support but we've been playing phone tag for almost a week.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Any idea how to delete the "send-to history" from the app? I have a call into tech support but we've been playing phone tag for almost a week.
My acuralink map uses apple maps. What worked for me is the following. Went to apple maps (not via acuralink) and swiped up . All recent destinations appear. Select the destination you want to delete and swipe left. Remove is one of the options. That deletes the history for individual destinations selected.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:37 PM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by beancount1
My acuralink map uses apple maps. What worked for me is the following. Went to apple maps (not via acuralink) and swiped up . All recent destinations appear. Select the destination you want to delete and swipe left. Remove is one of the options. That deletes the history for individual destinations selected.
On Android it uses Google maps. I've uninstalled and reinstalled both apps and it's still there. We'll see what the crack tech support team has to say. I just don't want the wife seeing all the B( . )( . )B bars I've been to.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:41 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
On Android it uses Google maps. I've uninstalled and reinstalled both apps and it's still there. We'll see what the crack tech support team has to say. I just don't want the wife seeing all the B( . )( . )B bars I've been to.
In NY? Yeah, I'm sure it's just more then a strip club........ just take the metro next time. That way if there is security cameras, they won't get your license plate. Next thing you'll tell me you gave your girl "Hollywood" your actual cell # instead of your google voice number.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:13 PM
Skeptic

Looks like there was another minor update today. 4.0.7.1

And I finally spoke to tech support. They know of no specific way to clear the send-to history. He says it just gets cleared out over time or older items in the history just drop off.

Talking to him, it was apparent they don't even speak directly to the app developers. What a hoaky operation.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:03 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX2O2O
I love the remote start. It gets up to 100F in Sacramento. I'll be sad once trial ends. I would get a subscription but wife said it's too "bougie".
Time for a new wife. I used the remote start every day during the summer because of the Sacramento heat. In my opinion either hard wired remote start or Acuralink subscription are worth the cost of being able to cool down the interior. Another thing that helped me out this summer was infrared tint on the windshield 😎
Mark-RDX (11-24-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 08:27 PM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by pnoi521
... Another thing that helped me out this summer was infrared tint on the windshield 😎
Is that darkening or visible at all? I assume it doesn't mess with the camera or sensors.

Just curious. I never heard of IR tinting. I probably wouldn't do it. With the shitty roads around here, windshields get replaced fairly regularly.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:59 AM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
Is that darkening or visible at all? I assume it doesn't mess with the camera or sensors.

Just curious. I never heard of IR tinting. I probably wouldn't do it. With the shitty roads around here, windshields get replaced fairly regularly.
I think the one I got is 70%, so it’s basically unnoticeable. But the difference in heat reduction is the same or maybe even better than dark tint. It doesn’t affect the camera because they just tint around that area.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:25 PM
Drifting

Looks like there was another minor update today. 4.0.7.1

And I finally spoke to tech support. They know of no specific way to clear the send-to history. He says it just gets cleared out over time or older items in the history just drop off.

Talking to him, it was apparent they don't even speak directly to the app developers. What a hoaky operation.
I have auto updates on, and I still show 4.0.7, and that is on the app store, so maybe Android Only?
Old 10-06-2019, 07:10 AM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Does the Acuralink remote start also allow you to set the heat/AC to your desired settings?
Can it turn on the seat heaters as well?

Or do you have to remember to leave the temp settings on before you shut off the vehicle?
Old 10-06-2019, 07:39 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cuzz
Does the Acuralink remote start also allow you to set the heat/AC to your desired settings?
Can it turn on the seat heaters as well?

Or do you have to remember to leave the temp settings on before you shut off the vehicle?
It can just start the car.

I leave the heat/AC on auto with a set temp, and the seat heaters on auto as well, and that seems to work for me.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Madd Dog

I leave the heat/AC on auto with a set temp, and the seat heaters on auto as well, and that seems to work for me.
It also allows you to lock and unlock the car. I find that helpful when I realize that I didn't lock the car, especially at night.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:28 AM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog

Thanks, that’s what I figured. I normally just use the auto settings anyway.

Quick Reply: Remote start via app