Remote start and heated seats?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 12:35 PM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
Question Remote start and heated seats?

I'm getting some conflicting answers on this. I have a base AWD and when I do remote start via the Acuralink app my heated seats do NOT turn on, even though I leave them on at 3 leds the night before. The switch leds are unlit and the heated seats are cold when I get in, although the HVAC does seem to be blowing. I didn't see anything in the owners manual, is there a way to have the seats turned on?
Old 01-22-2019, 12:52 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Mine only turns on the front defroster. Is there a way to make the heat come on?
Old 01-22-2019, 01:05 PM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
According to page 414 of the owner's manual:

While the engine is running, the vehicle will
automatically precondition inside the vehicle.
When it is warm outside:
  • The climate control system is activated in recirculation mode.
  • The seat ventilation is activated
When it is cold outside:
  • The defroster is activated at a moderately warm temperature.
  • The rear defogger and door mirrors heaters are activated.
  • The seat heaters and heated steering wheel are activate.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by bluntman72
According to page 414 of the owner's manual:
Is that in relation to remote start? Or just with the engine running in general? When on remote start only my HVAC gets switched on, most likely it's the defrost setting although I'm not sure. But the heated seats definitely don't turn on.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:24 PM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by spinedoc777
Is that in relation to remote start? Or just with the engine running in general? When on remote start only my HVAC gets switched on, most likely it's the defrost setting although I'm not sure. But the heated seats definitely don't turn on.
That is found in the remote start section of the manual. Maybe it isn't cold enough to turn on the heated seats or it is too early in the cycle to notice?
Old 01-22-2019, 01:28 PM
Racer

That is found in the remote start section of the manual. Maybe it isn't cold enough to turn on the heated seats or it is too early in the cycle to notice?
Yeah I'm looking through the true users manual online, I didn't realize the one that came with the vehicle was not the full owners manual. I don't think it's temp related as yesterday it was close to 0F when I got into my vehicle and the heated seats were off.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:16 PM
Racer

I found that in the manual, but it seems that it refers to remote start with the FOB and an installed remote start system and not Acuralink. Maybe this is the reason for the confusion. Can anyone else see if when they remote start their vehicle WITH ACURALINK if the heated seats turn on?
Old 01-22-2019, 02:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I have the Advance model. When I use the app to remote start the seats and steering wheel heat up.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stew4HD:
markm929 (01-22-2019), NooYawkuh (01-23-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 02:45 PM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I have the Advance model. When I use the app to remote start the seats and steering wheel heat up.
Mine did, too. It did have to be pretty cold both outside (below about 40°F) and in the cabin for the seat heaters to operate during an AcuraLink remote start.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by zroger73
Mine did, too. It did have to be pretty cold both outside (below about 40°F) and in the cabin for the seat heaters to operate during an AcuraLink remote start.
It's around that temp when I use the remote start. It doesn't get that cold here very often but below 40 is very cold to most of us down here.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:48 PM
Racer

Just got off the phone with customer relations, I asked for someone in the Acuralink dept. So yeah heated seats do NOT turn on with remote start from Acuralink. They only turn on if you have the remote starter add on that uses the key fob.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:52 PM
Pro

Just got off the phone with customer relations, I asked for someone in the Acuralink dept. So yeah heated seats do NOT turn on with remote start from Acuralink. They only turn on if you have the remote starter add on that uses the key fob.
That's incorrect and I invite them to come see for themselves instead of guessing, reading an incorrect script, or fabricating something just to get you off the phone and on to the next caller.

By the way - I never paid attention to this in my RDX, but if it's like the Pilot/Ridgeline, the seat heater indicator lights do NOT come on during a remote start EVEN THOUGH the seat heaters may be on.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:41 PM
Racer

That's incorrect and I invite them to come see for themselves instead of guessing, reading an incorrect script, or fabricating something just to get you off the phone and on to the next caller.

By the way - I never paid attention to this in my RDX, but if it's like the Pilot/Ridgeline, the seat heater indicator lights do NOT come on during a remote start EVEN THOUGH the seat heaters may be on.
Mine don't turn on, they are ice cold. I have a base RDX, I wonder if this has anything to do with it. The rep sounded knowledgeable and wasn't in a hurry to get me off the phone as I had some other questions for him as well.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:49 PM
Instructor

I have an ASpec and my heated seats do not turn on using the fob, just the defroster.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Njbrandon
I have an ASpec and my heated seats do not turn on using the fob, just the defroster.
According to the owners manual if you have the remote start installed where you use the key fob to remote start the engine the heated seats should turn on if it's "cold" (page 414), not sure what temperature "cold" means. But there is NO mention of the Acuralink remote start turning on the seat heaters in the owners manual.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by Njbrandon
The seat warmers, the heated steering wheel, front and rear defrosters all turn on when using remote start on my key fob (2019 A-spec). Temperatures are around 3° to 5° Celsius in the morning here in Vancouver.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:02 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
I found that in the manual, but it seems that it refers to remote start with the FOB and an installed remote start system and not Acuralink. Maybe this is the reason for the confusion. Can anyone else see if when they remote start their vehicle WITH ACURALINK if the heated seats turn on?
When you say remote start installed, does anything actually have to be installed? I would think not. They sell you two remotes for $400. I would think they only have to be coded or programmed to the car, like any new or replacement fob. I'm thinking of trying to get them to throw that in as part of the negotiation, or at least for a more reasonable price.

Seems to me, any car with push-button start has the capability to be started remotely. It's just an engine command.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:23 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
When you say remote start installed, does anything actually have to be installed? I would think not. They sell you two remotes for $400. I would think they only have to be coded or programmed to the car, like any new or replacement fob. I'm thinking of trying to get them to throw that in as part of the negotiation, or at least for a more reasonable price.

Seems to me, any car with push-button start has the capability to be started remotely. It's just an engine command.
The remote start accessory includes two new remotes and a receiver that mounts above the headliner at the rear of the vehicle. Most of the rear interior must be removed to install it. No, thanks - that's just an invitation for rattles and damage! The installed price typically runs ~$600-700. Dealer programming is mandatory.

You can buy the kit online for $300 and complete the physical installation yourself in a couple of hours (maybe). You'd still need a dealer to program it, though, which typically costs about $100.

Here are the 12-page instructions.

https://acura.bernardiparts.com/Imag...II07802-02.pdf
The following users liked this post:
NooYawkuh (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 08:47 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Yes the Seats Heat.

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Mine also turn on when I remote start using the AcuraLink App OR use the Remote Start on the Key FOB, and I have the Platinum Elite Edition. One quick thought do you leave the Heated Seats on "Auto"? I always do and never have a problem.
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (01-25-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 09:45 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by DHood
Mine also turn on when I remote start using the AcuraLink App OR use the Remote Start on the Key FOB, and I have the Platinum Elite Edition. One quick thought do you leave the Heated Seats on "Auto"? I always do and never have a problem.
I leave the heated seats on 3 leds, not on auto. I will experiment and see if maybe they stay on when set to Auto.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:10 AM
Instructor

According to the owners manual if you have the remote start installed where you use the key fob to remote start the engine the heated seats should turn on if it's "cold" (page 414), not sure what temperature "cold" means. But there is NO mention of the Acuralink remote start turning on the seat heaters in the owners manual.
it has been 10-20 degrees here. My heated seats definitely do not turn on using the fob remote start. I have tried shutting the car off leaving them on and leaving them on auto. Neither scenario gets them to turn on when remote starting.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:41 AM
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
My experience in using the app is that the steering wheel heater is definitely on. The seat heater LEDs are off. The seats feel slightly warm, but that may be just from the hot air circulating inside the vehicle. And that may be why different owners report opposite results.

A good experiment would would be to contrast the feel of the front seat with the rear center position, which lacks a heater.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:46 AM
Instructor

Maybe only the Canadian version turns on the seat heaters?
Old 01-23-2019, 11:01 AM
-- Instructor --

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts
I have USA Advance and both my seats (and steering wheel) heat when started with either AcuraLink or fob.

Regards -------------
Old 01-23-2019, 11:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TheLevelOne
I have USA Advance and both my seats (and steering wheel) heat when started with either AcuraLink or fob.

Regards -------------
Do you leave the seats on auto or just on when you turn the vehicle off?
Old 01-23-2019, 11:57 AM
-- Instructor --

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts
I leave the climate system and seats on auto.

Regards ---------------------
Old 01-23-2019, 01:30 PM
Skeptic

Here are the 12-page instructions.

https://acura.bernardiparts.com/Imag...II07802-02.pdf
HO - LEE - $#!+

That almost seems like a bad joke.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:51 PM
Advanced

NooYawkuh this is not a project that I would tackle, WOW.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:23 PM
Instructor

That install explains why my headliner was broken.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:40 PM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by DHood
NooYawkuh this is not a project that I would tackle, WOW.
Yeah, no. I've never had good experiences working on the interiors of cars. I break clips and fasteners, and I never get the panels back tight and snug. They're meant to go on once. And stay there.

But to have to completely gut the whole back of the car just to install a module above the headliner is beyond ludicrous.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:56 AM
Racer

Hmm, spoke to service managers at 2 different dealers and also with the sales manager who sold me the vehicle, they all confirm heated seats don't go on with using remote start on Acuralink but they do go on with the remote starter add on package. I can confirm, my vehicle at least, using the Acuralink app and leaving the heated seats on auto they still do NOT turn on.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:12 AM
Pro

Hmm, spoke to service managers at 2 different dealers and also with the sales manager who sold me the vehicle, they all confirm heated seats don't go on with using remote start on Acuralink but they do go on with the remote starter add on package. I can confirm, my vehicle at least, using the Acuralink app and leaving the heated seats on auto they still do NOT turn on.
I guess some of us have "defective" vehicles then! I can assure you that I did NOT have remote-based remote start because the US model doesn't come with it and given the length of time I keep vehicles it was cheaper for me to pay $110/year than $600 one time to have remote start. I'm also cold-blooded and soulless and I can't stand sitting on cold seats. During the 3.5 months I owned my RDX, I used the app-based remote start several times and the seats were undeniably warm when I get in the vehicle. I've had several vehicles with heated seats that start with a remote start, so I'd definitely notice (and complain!) if my seats didn't heat during a remote start in cold weather. I had a lot of problems and complaints with my RDX, but the heated seats came on during an app-based remote start as expected.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:21 AM
Advanced

I have both the Remote Start Key FOB and the AcuraLink App and with both the Seats come on Heated.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:53 PM
Racer

I guess some of us have "defective" vehicles then! I can assure you that I did NOT have remote-based remote start because the US model doesn't come with it and given the length of time I keep vehicles it was cheaper for me to pay $110/year than $600 one time to have remote start. I'm also cold-blooded and soulless and I can't stand sitting on cold seats. During the 3.5 months I owned my RDX, I used the app-based remote start several times and the seats were undeniably warm when I get in the vehicle. I've had several vehicles with heated seats that start with a remote start, so I'd definitely notice (and complain!) if my seats didn't heat during a remote start in cold weather. I had a lot of problems and complaints with my RDX, but the heated seats came on during an app-based remote start as expected.
Hmm, I'm not sure where to start, maybe I have to grill the service dept when I go in for service. I wonder if the difference is that I do NOT have a heated steering wheel?
Old 12-12-2019, 02:09 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed the same exact thing. I have a 2019 Base RDX. Using the AcuraLink Remote App does not turn on my heated seats even though I always have it on Auto. I also noticed that it blows air very forcefully however it doesn't feel warm and I cannot verify if the mirrors or defrost are on. I had my car on for the full duration (10 minutes) and not the slightest bit of defrosting took place.

To say the least, there are so many disappointments (IMO) with this 2019 RDX model and now that I paid 110 for remote use via the App I'm even more frustrated with this vehicle.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:27 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have acuralink and the key fob. heated seats turn on when remote starting with either. I get to the car and 1-3 red lights are lit up next to each heated seat button depending on how cold it is or perhaps how long I let the car run
Old 12-13-2019, 08:27 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
About 20F degrees, car all frosted over in Northern NY.
Remote start with Accuralink turned everything on: defrost on mirrors, seat warmers, windshield & rear window, and heat on full blast.
None of those were on when I turned it off the night before.

Daniel
__________________________________________________ _____
2019 RDX Tech SH-AWD. Lunar Silver Metallic / Espresso
Old 12-13-2019, 10:04 AM
Racer

Mine turns on, it's just that the heat seat level is so low that it's very difficult to tell that they have been heated, but it's noticeable on a super cold day. I'm just used to my previous vehicle which would really heat them up, so whenever I got in the car they were nice and toasty. With the RDX they aren't nice and toasty, they are more like slightly less frozen which I suppose is better than nothing.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:36 PM
Cruisin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a 2020 Advance and routinely use AcuraLink app remote start. I live in ATL, and it's been in the 40s F (5s C) for the most part here the last few weeks. When I get in the car after remote start, all the indicator lights on dash and climate control are off until I press brake pedal and the engine start button. For seat heat/ventilation, I leave the driver's seat in Auto and the passenger's seat off all the time. When I get to the car and fully start it up, the driver's seat usually shows one red LED plus the green Auto LED. The passenger's seat usually shows one or two red LEDs and no Auto green LED. If it's been a few minutes, it's also obvious the steering wheel heater was working during the remote start period because it's warm, but when I fully start up, the steering wheel heater is off.

My guess is leaving driver's seat in Auto vs. on/off makes the difference based on my experience and other reports above. Why use anything but Auto settings most of the time?
Old 12-15-2019, 06:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Forgot to mention...I usually leave interior auto climate control set to 68ºF, and I know that setting affects whether the seat heaters are activated when seat heat/ventilate is in Auto mode. If you have manual settings input for climate control when the car is turned off, maybe that keeps the seat heaters from activating during remote start. The app shows the interior temperature of the car after it starts up, and I imagine that's a variable, too.

Quick Reply: Remote start and heated seats?