AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RDX (2019+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/)
-   -   Remote start?? (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/remote-start-979781/)

jaxxx123 05-24-2019 02:58 PM

Remote start??

Unable to find a clear answer on this but does the base sh awd RDX have remote start and blind spot warning ?

KK689 05-24-2019 04:28 PM

You have to step up to the tech package to get blind spot monitoring. For remote start, that is a $399 accessory available at the dealership. I’m sure they charge more on top of that for labor to install it. The AcuraLink app has remote start standard for a few months and after that it’s a subscription.

hockeyaddict 05-24-2019 05:08 PM

If you are in Canada, I believe a remote start key is standard.

NooYawkuh 05-24-2019 06:09 PM

Dealer installation and programming of remote start is typically anywhere from $600-800. The kit alone is $300 but the dealer still has to program the fobs and that's $120-150. Installation involves gutting the back half of the cabin interior right down to the rivets and welds. Just to install a screw, bracket and tiny transceiver module in the headliner up near the shark fin antenna.

Somebody here DIY'd it and posted a video.
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...nstall-977221/

The instructions.
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/BII07802-02.PDF

Madd Dog 05-24-2019 09:15 PM

I find the app meets all of my needs. Plus the range is greater.

lil12002 05-24-2019 09:55 PM

Negotiate the remote start with the dealer when you buy it.

Alias1431 05-25-2019 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Madd Dog (Post 16430881)
I find the app meets all of my needs. Plus the range is greater.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nnect&hl=en_US

Dat rating tho, lol.

Madd Dog 05-25-2019 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Alias1431 (Post 16430935)

The app lets me send destinations to the nav, it does start, stop, lock, and unlock my car remotely, etc., so mine works.

It was a bit wonky to properly install, however.

KK689 05-25-2019 07:08 AM

I didn’t renew my subscription because the app never worked. I had to login every time I opened the app and by the time I got to the remote start part I was already at my car. I’ve owned lesser cars with remote start on my fob.

securityguy 05-25-2019 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by KK689 (Post 16430952)
I didn’t renew my subscription because the app never worked. I had to login every time I opened the app and by the time I got to the remote start part I was already at my car. I’ve owned lesser cars with remote start on my fob.

Create a case with Acura. There were/are issues with some and it took Acura a few days to get it working flawlessly. An issue on their end...create a case!

KK689 05-25-2019 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by securityguy (Post 16430967)
Create a case with Acura. There were/are issues with some and it took Acura a few days to get it working flawlessly. An issue on their end...create a case!

I didn’t even think of that. It was a small issue compared to the others my car has. Tbh I plan on getting rid of it in the few months anyway

catalytic_ca 05-25-2019 07:15 PM

The APP? Yeah, no thanks. Those things are flaky and stop working on the one day you really need it (when it's -30 outside). Then it requires calls to the support number and hours of your time to get the darn thing working again. Not just a Honda/Acura thing. Happens to all brands. I'd rather have a traditional remote start key fob.

securityguy 05-25-2019 08:01 PM

The app has worked flawlessly since I filed my case with Acura back in the September-October time frame. Not a single glitch!

Madd Dog 05-25-2019 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by securityguy (Post 16431130)
The app has worked flawlessly since I filed my case with Acura back in the September-October time frame. Not a single glitch!

There was some sort of update in February, and it has been perfect for me since then.

DrWoo 05-26-2019 12:08 PM

I let the remote start trial expire without subscribing because of all the problems I had with the app, but it does seem that the app is better since the update. Has anyone subscribed to remote start after the trial expired, and was it just a simple matter of signing up online, or did it take days and hours on the phone with support to get it working?

securityguy 05-26-2019 12:17 PM

I subscribe. Was easy and zero issues.

lil12002 05-26-2019 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by securityguy (Post 16431257)
I subscribe. Was easy and zero issues.

what was the price?

TheLevelOne 05-28-2019 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by lil12002 (Post 16431305)
what was the price?

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...a6f1ee717e.jpg
https://acuralink.acura.com/#/compat...2019&model=RDX

mch 05-28-2019 09:23 AM

While the app has almost always worked for me I find that the 2 minutes or so it takes to actually start the car so annoying I rarely ever use the feature. When it was on my FOB it was an every time thing.

securityguy 05-28-2019 09:27 AM

I find a delay of about 30 seconds since you are going through the cloud to make it happen.

mch 05-28-2019 09:29 AM

Wow, I find it takes longer than that to get the initial status of the car that is required before I can hit the start button, which then takes another 30 or so seconds.

securityguy 05-28-2019 09:32 AM

I just tried it. Was 20 seconds to get the initial status and around 25 for the car to start.

securityguy 05-28-2019 09:35 AM

Since I don't keep any car I've ever owned for more than 3 years, the cost of $110/year is far cheaper than having the RS installed. I would never see the benefit of the fob start investment and I won't get any more on a trade by having the fob start either.

NooYawkuh 06-02-2019 09:53 PM

On my old phone, the app only gave me status like odometer, tire pressures and maintenance. Location and remote commands didn't work at all.

I just got a new Galaxy S10 on Saturday. The app has worked without exception, since. Vehicle status comes up within just a few seconds of launching the app. Remote commands take about 30-45 second to execute and a bit longer to acknowledge.

JB in AZ 06-04-2019 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh (Post 16434057)
On my old phone, the app only gave me status like odometer, tire pressures and maintenance. Location and remote commands didn't work at all.

I just got a new Galaxy S10 on Saturday. The app has worked without exception, since. Vehicle status comes up within just a few seconds of launching the app. Remote commands take about 30-45 second to execute and a bit longer to acknowledge.

For reference, what was your old phone? I have a Galaxy S8.

NooYawkuh 06-04-2019 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by JB in AZ (Post 16434899)
For reference, what was your old phone? I have a Galaxy S8.

I was afraid somebody would ask. It was an S3. I know; and yes, I am ashamed. I kept it so long because, until recently, it met most of my needs and it was bulletproof. I know so many people who have nothing but problems and headaches with their phones. But the past few months, it really started choking on any new apps and some wouldn't even install. So, it was time.

Even on the S3, the Acura Link app installed just fine, but never worked right. On the S10 it's working great. 100%, so far. I'm still in the trial period so I'm wringing it out as much as I can. I think the current version of the app claims to be compatible with the S8 and Android 6.0 and above. It gets terrible reviews on Google Play.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ralink.connect

JB in AZ 06-04-2019 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh (Post 16434940)
I was afraid somebody would ask. It was an S3. I know; and yes, I am ashamed. I kept it so long because, until recently, it met most of my needs and it was bulletproof. I know so many people who have nothing but problems and headaches with their phones. But the past few months, it really started choking on any new apps and some wouldn't even install. So, it was time.

Even on the S3, the Acura Link app installed just fine, but never worked right. On the S10 it's working great. 100%, so far. I'm still in the trial period so I'm wringing it out as much as I can. I think the current version of the app claims to be compatible with the S8 and Android 6.0 and above.

Sorry I was he one to "activate" your fear! LOL Just wanted a frame of reference. Thanks!

Yeah, I suspected you had a reason for not posting it originally, no reason to be ashamed.

corners 06-04-2019 07:06 PM

Worth paying the extra $500-$600 for a physical button remote start?

NooYawkuh 06-04-2019 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by corners (Post 16435226)

I don't think so. The dealers here are more like $700-800.

I think Acura would do better installing the transceiver standard at the factory and just charging about $200 for the fobs and programming. I'd bite at that, even though it's an excess at that. In a few years, every car will come with it. Any car with push-button start already has the capability. It's just an engine command.

That installation is beyond stupid.

Cuzz 10-06-2019 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by corners (Post 16435226)

I guess, it depends. My local dealer wants $530 (installed) for the remote start, with 2 fobs. Can anyone confirm if the remote starter fobs replace the ones that come with the car so that now you end up with 4 fobs that can be used with the car? Or do you now have to have both of them with you to use the starter? If you end up gaining 2 additional fobs, then the price is very reasonable as I bet buying a replacement key would be over $100.

Madd Dog 10-06-2019 03:13 PM

Decide how you will use it. I am often out of range of a transmitter when I remote start the car. I might be at the pool, or in the mall, or somewhere else out of range.

lil12002 10-06-2019 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cuzz (Post 16489337)
I guess, it depends. My local dealer wants $530 (installed) for the remote start, with 2 fobs. Can anyone confirm if the remote starter fobs replace the ones that come with the car so that now you end up with 4 fobs that can be used with the car? Or do you now have to have both of them with you to use the starter? If you end up gaining 2 additional fobs, then the price is very reasonable as I bet buying a replacement key would be over $100.

When i had my local dealer install it, they initially said I would i only get 2 fobs, but when I picked it up they handed me 4 fobs, all in working order.

I hardly use the remote start on the fob, I prefer to use the remote start feature on AcuraLink, to me the ability to start from much further away is worth it.

Jfkmk 10-06-2019 06:12 PM

I agree. Although I really my RDX, it’s a little annoying that the remote fob was so expensive and the app is not only a little flaky, but costs $110/year. My 2018 F-150 came with both the remote start and the app, which actually works very well. The F-150 is not a high level trim.

JB in AZ 10-06-2019 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jfkmk (Post 16489376)
I agree. Although I really my RDX, it’s a little annoying that the remote fob was so expensive and the app is not only a little flaky, but costs $110/year. My 2018 F-150 came with both the remote start and the app, which actually works very well. The F-150 is not a high level trim.

Yes, same here. Our 2015 Ford Escape has fob activated remote start....I really don't have much need for it, so I am not interested in paying $110/year for it.
Just another trend of money making opportunities for the manufacturers. Oh well, not a big deal for me.

Dereileak 10-06-2019 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Cuzz (Post 16489337)

The kit you pay them for comes with 2 new remote start fobs, you own 2 other fobs that are your property, if you leave with anything less then 4 fobs then there is an issue. They should be able to add 2 fobs and keep the 2 original, you will want the 2 original with tho so they can confirm they still work. I installed the kit myself and paid the dealer $90 to program 2 new fobs with the remote start

wmkim 12-24-2019 06:57 PM

I tend to keep my cars for a while so I’m debating whether to get the remote start module installed or not. I love the remote start from the AcuraLink app. It’s going to be awesome for the 2 days of super cold winter and endless super hot summers we have here in Georgia.

rdxnguyen 12-25-2019 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Dereileak (Post 16489403)
The kit you pay them for comes with 2 new remote start fobs, you own 2 other fobs that are your property, if you leave with anything less then 4 fobs then there is an issue. They should be able to add 2 fobs and keep the 2 original, you will want the 2 original with tho so they can confirm they still work. I installed the kit myself and paid the dealer $90 to program 2 new fobs with the remote start

You're very skilled friend! It's very intimidating to see the how-to guide. You practically have to rip the trunk apart.

The Remote start module (with key fobs) was part of the pricing negotiation when I bought my RDX. Dereileak is correct, you get to keep the original key fobs along with the 2 new key fobs with remote engine start button. Though, the 2 new key fobs do not come with the metal keys. You still need to metal keys from the original key fobs and plug them in the remote start key fobs to use them.

NooYawkuh 12-26-2019 10:04 AM

So, you still have to buy two keys and have them cut? JEEZ, you'd think they'd at least include the blanks.

Someone DIY'd the installation and posted a video of the whole thing. It's as bad as you might imagine.

I'm fine with the remote app.

pezones 12-27-2019 09:12 AM

I thought I'd really miss remote start with the fob. So far remote start with the app is much more useful and I do not miss fob start at all

Duna 12-29-2019 06:18 AM

Yes! Living in NYC during the winter season, remote start is a necessity. I love the quick feedback on the remote. I elected this route knowing that I will keep the RDX for a long time; nevertheless, if you exchange cars frequently (within 5 years), don't do it. I would stick with the Acura app for the remote start. As for me...although it took 5 hours to install :thud:and a trip to the dealer for programming, it was all worth it.