Rear turn signals not LED

Old 07-23-2018, 01:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
You guys need to look at the big picture here. Acura wants everyone to think they are at the same level as BMW, ok so you're following along right, soooo they put those incandescent turn signals in so that people with RDX's will not use them out of shame just like BMW drivers don't know their cars have them. Thereby psychologically tricking the public into thinking Acuras and BMW's are equal. There you have it, a parallel between Acura and BMW!!!!!

Alphabet soup confirmed.

Ok for real though, it's a stupid oversight and I'm sure there is a reason for it (because they could have cheaped out on many other areas on the interior if it was just money saving). If you want to see a real joke of a luxury SUV look at the 2G RDX. I don't think it's fair to say this 3G RDX isn't a solid attempt.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Fun fact: LEDs were invented in 1962!
Old 07-23-2018, 02:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Or do like they do here in Texas, just refuse to signal intent! That way the bulb type is inconsequential.
that doesn't work in NYC, we signal one way and turn the other.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:46 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada
that doesn't work in NYC, we signal one way and turn the other.
In FL, some folks signal all the time. Constantly. For miles and miles and miles.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:51 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by MHarnois
There aren't too many ways to detect a burned light bulb. You can either measure its current draw or its light output. So what method would you prefer?

Way back around 1980, my brother in law purchased a new Chevy Caprice (I think) that used fiber optic cables to optically pipe the light from the brake/turn signals to two (one for each side) small indicators at the top center of the rear window trim so that the driver could see the burnt out status of their taillights in the rearview mirror. I distinctly remember him boasting about that feature.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:26 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ednigma
Way back around 1980, my brother in law purchased a new Chevy Caprice (I think) that used fiber optic cables to optically pipe the light from the brake/turn signals to two (one for each side) small indicators at the top center of the rear window trim so that the driver could see the burnt out status of their taillights in the rearview mirror. I distinctly remember him boasting about that feature.
Interesting way of monitoring light output.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Bought the relatively expensive ($33.95) PY21Ws from ijdmtoy (took a week to get them while I was away and I installed them yesterday. They make a remarkable difference, but not perfect due to the reflector design of the RDX. An amber lens would be much better, with or without amber LEDs. Also, they are not at all attractive in the housing, but they get the job done. There is no hyper flash, so far. Some members have bought CAN BUS LEDs. They should NOT be used in the RDX. They can cause damage to the electronics. CAN BUS is only for European vehicles. The bulbs are plug and play. However, like any automotive bulb, use a cloth, or wear gloves when handling them. The oil from your hands will cause hot spots and lessen and/or burn out the bulb. The hardest part of the installation was removing the covers over the light housing bolts. The sides must come straight out toward you while prying them off; not to the side. There are a number of attachment points. The 2 bolts can be removed with a socket or Phillips screwdriver. Time will tell if these work out. Reviews have been seemingly good on Amazon, and on YouTube. I will report how they are working. Oh, the pins are 150°; not 180°, so check before buying other brands.

P.S. These bulbs have built in resistors, so they will draw a lot of current and get hot during prolonged use.. Other, expensive, or cheaper bulbs will require separate resistors (resistors get very hot too) to prevent hyper flash, or so I’ve read. VLEDS is a great company for auto LEDs and resistors, albeit at a price.

Last edited by Rexorg; 07-29-2018 at 02:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rexorg:
catbert430 (07-29-2018), knakane (10-01-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 04:36 PM
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts
I have a set of BoodLED 7507s that I got from Amazon for only $19.95 that claim to have built-in resistors.
As soon as I get my car back, I'll try them and report back.
I've got the gloves ready; specifically so as not to get any fingerprints on the original halogens. I have a feeling I may need them.

Post pix if you can. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Rexorg
...but not perfect due to the reflector design of the RDX...
Not perfect in what respect? Light distribution?... Hot spots?...

...Also, they are not at all attractive in the housing,...
Is this because of the clear housing and you can see the LEDs vs. them being obscured?
Old 07-29-2018, 05:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Not perfect in what respect? Light distribution?... Hot spots?...

Yes, because the silvery reflective coating is not on the bottom of the housing. No hot spots that I see since the bulbs are very bright, but not blinding unless you look at them from a few feet.

Is this because of the clear housing and you can see the LEDs vs. them being obscured?
Yes, because of the clear lens in front, and the chips being visible. The benefits of these bulbs outweigh the negatives by a long shot.
The following users liked this post:
MI-RDX (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 05:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by catbert430
I have a set of BoodLED 7507s that I got from Amazon for only $19.95 that claim to have built-in resistors.
I've got the gloves ready; specifically so as not to get any fingerprints on the original halogens. I have a feeling I may need them.

The OEMs are incandescent; not halogen, but you still need to use gloves, or wipe them with an alcohol wipe after handing them and storing. The OEMs seem very flimsy, but the silver coating seems it will not flake off with age like back in the day. I haven’t seen a bayonet bulb used in a vehicle for decades. Acura certainly went the cheap route with these.

I’ll try to post pics, but I’ve never had much success posting pics on forums.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:35 PM
Burning Brakes

If you bought the LEDs I just looked at on Amazon I would not use them since they are CAN BUS. The built it resistors have nothing to do with CAN BUS, that I’m aware of. I initially ordered another brand, but cancelled the order after reading the warning about the issue of CAN BUS with non-European vehicles. Japanese vehicles do not use CAN BUS. I’d hate for you to fry some circuits in your RDX.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:54 PM
Pro

They list Can Bus and Hyperflash as if it were the same thing.
I'll take your warning and dump them.
It's not worth damaging the car for $20.

Thanks.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Yes, because of the clear lens in front, and the chips being visible. The benefits of these bulbs outweigh the negatives by a long shot.
What are the benefits of those bulbs?
Old 07-29-2018, 08:13 PM
Burning Brakes

What are the benefits of those bulbs?
They are indeed brighter and will be seen much farther when you use them as warning flashers, especially in foggy conditions, or in normal turning situations.. They also match the rest of the LEDs. Are they worth almost $34? To me they are right now until someone comes up with replacements as good for half the price. Buying any Chinese LEDs is a crap shoot, but the build quality is very good. Ijdmtoy states they are Samsung LEDs. I take that with a grain of salt.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:24 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts

The OEMs are incandescent; not halogen, but you still need to use gloves, or wipe them with an alcohol wipe after handing them and storing. The OEMs seem very flimsy, but the silver coating seems it will not flake off with age like back in the day. I haven’t seen a bayonet bulb used in a vehicle for decades. Acura certainly went the cheap route with these.

I’ll try to post pics, but I’ve never had much success posting pics on forums.
If possible, could you try to post a video of them in action? Also, was the SKU for the bulbs that you purchased 20-084?
Old 07-29-2018, 08:30 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
When those bulbs fail it is usually the connections between the socket contact the LEDs, not the LEDs themselves. Remember the very first LED bulbs that uses clusters of 5mm LEDs.....you could always greatly enhance reliability by drilling a small hole and filling the innards with epoxy to stabilize the little leads inside. Newer bulbs use arrays of circuit boards soldered together. Going over the soldered joints and reflowing helps.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:27 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Would you happen to have any pics or even a video to show these new LED turn signals?
Old 07-30-2018, 03:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pnoi521
If possible, could you try to post a video of them in action? Also, was the SKU for the bulbs that you purchased 20-084?
Yes, it is.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Update: I contacted ijdmtoy.com today. They assured me the LEDs I purchased will not overheat to a point where they will melt the socket and/or start a fire. They have used these LEDs on a couple cars at their place of business for awhile with no problems. However, it was made clear that you should not use the flashers for over 8 minutes or the special built-in circuit will cut the current and hyper flash will occur until they cool sufficiently. BTW, I am in no way encouraging anyone here to buy these bulbs, nor am I being compensated for promoting them.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:02 PM
Pro

I tried my $19.95 special 'error-free' LEDs tonight.
They work fine but, are way too bright.
I tried painting the projector end silver to block that portion and just left the sides exposed. They actually look very attractive behind the clear lenses when they're off.
Still blinding so I'm back to the incandescent bulbs until I get another set.
I ordered ones with 4 Cree LEDs instead of the big array of unbranded LEDs.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:11 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
I tried painting the projector end silver to block that portion and just left the sides exposed. They actually look very attractive behind the clear lenses when they're off.
Blinding LEDs is what I’m concerned about with the LEDs that Rexorg got from ijdmtoys, but couldn’t really find any videos of them in action.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pnoi521

Blinding LEDs is what I’m concerned about with the LEDs that Rexorg got from ijdmtoys, but couldn’t really find any videos of them in action.
They are blinding if you look at any LED giving off hundreds of lumens at a close distance. The LED strips on the front of the RDX are just as bright and blinding if you look directly at them up close. There are videos on YouTube, just search for ijdmtoy.com PY21W.

Last edited by Rexorg; 08-02-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Blinding is advertising puffery, but they are very bright though compared to the OEM. There are videos on YouTube, just search for ijdmtoy.com PY21W.
It's not puffery when you are behind someone at night whose lights are blinding. There is no need for them to be that bright.
MTD (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 10:52 AM
Burning Brakes

What did you consider blinding with the $19.95 ones. Also, how long did you run them to determine if they wouldn’t hyper flash?
Old 08-02-2018, 11:06 AM
Burning Brakes

It's not puffery when you are behind someone at night whose lights are blinding. There is no need for them to be that bright.
NHTSA still gets hundreds of complaints concerning HID and LED headlights, mostly from old timers like me. There is still a campaign to outlaw them. Most old timers have cataracts that cause night blindness and halos. HID and LED headlights are especially bothersome to them, but they don’t seem bothered using their high beams constantly and actually blinding other drivers.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:31 PM
Pro

What did you consider blinding with the $19.95 ones. Also, how long did you run them to determine if they wouldn’t hyper flash?
I didn't run them for very long. They say that they may hyper flash if you run them for more than 8 minutes.
They were at least twice the brightness of the incandescent bulbs which are quite bright.

I consider that unacceptable.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:10 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
I purchased the same set for 2018 rears.. will post video once installed.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:59 PM
Pro

A genius at Pep Boys convinced me that the Philips Ultinon LED 1156A will fit. It's P21W and ours is PY21W. The lugs are 180 degrees instead of 150 but, allegedly easy enough to force in.
They didn't work at all and I broke one trying to remove it so I can't return them; they're in the trash.

Decided to give the BoodLED ones another chance and left them in.
They are brighter than the incandescent bulbs but, I've changed my opinion from unacceptable to good enough.

I still have a set of different ones being shipped from China. I'll see if they're better, worse, or the same. I still wish Philips or Osram/Sylvania made PY21W instead of only P21W. I really prefer name brand parts.

Wish I were better at taking and posting pictures...
Old 08-03-2018, 08:24 PM
Pro

Correction: Philips and Osram PY21W LEDs are available from vendors in the UK, Russia, and Estonia on eBay.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:13 PM
Racer

I am wondering if adding a little resistance into the circuit would lower the intensity satisfactorily. I guess it depends on how much electronics the bulb incorporates. If its just resistors (in the bulb) it would work. If it has regulation, it might be able to compensate for the resistance added and thus keep the brightness the same.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:14 PM
Racer

Wish I were better at taking and posting pictures...
This one looks good:

Old 08-03-2018, 10:14 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts

NHTSA still gets hundreds of complaints concerning HID and LED headlights, mostly from old timers like me. There is still a campaign to outlaw them. Most old timers have cataracts that cause night blindness and halos. HID and LED headlights are especially bothersome to them, but they don’t seem bothered using their high beams constantly and actually blinding other drivers.

HID and LED headlights have specified parameters for light distribution, especially vertical cut-off, to minimize glare to other drivers. AFAIK directional signals do not have distribution specifications, but they probably have a maximum intensity. Blinding other drivers with illegal rearward facing lights doesn't enhance safety for anyone. Neither does blinding other drivers with illegal modification of headlights with aftermarket HID kits or whatever some brat thinks is "cool looking". And, yes, since we're blatantly age discriminating, I assert that is predominantly a fetish of the younger crowd.

I think the reason for the incandescent turn signal bulbs is purely stylistic. The designers wanted the clear center lenses to offset the red periphery of the rear light cluster, but that limited their choice of illumination. I see little value in changing that just so you can say there isn't an incandescent bulb anywhere on the vehicle.

I have a 15 year old MDX in the family fleet ( purchased new ), and I'm pretty sure I have never changed the incandescent turn signal bulbs. And yes, I use them. And so did my kids when I was hounding them about it as they learned to drive!

Last edited by Wander; 08-03-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Raynomad (08-10-2020)
Old 08-04-2018, 12:48 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Burger Steak & Eggs
This one looks good:

It wasn't him, the cat took a selfie
Old 08-04-2018, 03:40 AM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
I bought some of the WeissLicht Spektrum LED bulbs from bimmian.com. There bright, and they come in red, which I like better then Amber. They also have a lifetime warranty. I installed them with the V-LED VLR resistors so they don't hyper blink.

https://bimmian.com/Accessories-for-...-Signal-Bulbs/
Old 08-04-2018, 06:57 AM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Auto makers have to abide by the USDOT FMVSS 108 lighting specification. It is a 700+ page document on automotive lighting.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:49 PM
Pro

LED Off

LED Off (w/flash)

No idea why these are so enormous. Had to shorten video file to upload.
Attached Files
File Type: wmv
LED Signals.wmv (2.39 MB, 224 views)

Last edited by catbert430; 08-04-2018 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:56 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ednigma
It wasn't him, the cat took a selfie
As you can see from later posts, the cat is a better photographer than I am.
Sorry, best I could do with my limited talents.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:25 PM
Pro

I'm actually headed down to the garage to reinstall the incandescent bulbs.
I'm planning a road trip and just feel more comfortable with them.

I only want to notify the cars behind me that I'm turning.
No need to alert the ships at sea and the UFOs.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wander
HID and LED headlights have specified parameters for light distribution, especially vertical cut-off, to minimize glare to other drivers. AFAIK directional signals do not have distribution specifications, but they probably have a maximum intensity. Blinding other drivers with illegal rearward facing lights doesn't enhance safety for anyone. Neither does blinding other drivers with illegal modification of headlights with aftermarket HID kits or whatever some brat thinks is "cool looking". And, yes, since we're blatantly age discriminating, I assert that is predominantly a fetish of the younger crowd.

I think the reason for the incandescent turn signal bulbs is purely stylistic. The designers wanted the clear center lenses to offset the red periphery of the rear light cluster, but that limited their choice of illumination. I see little value in changing that just so you can say there isn't an incandescent bulb anywhere on the vehicle.

I have a 15 year old MDX in the family fleet ( purchased new ), and I'm pretty sure I have never changed the incandescent turn signal bulbs. And yes, I use them. And so did my kids when I was hounding them about it as they learned to drive!
Those archaic laws and regulations will be eliminated soon by the Golden Messiah after he confers with Platov. I can’t wait to buy a new car that gets 10 mpg, leaves a blue smoke contrail, is unsafe at any speed, and blinds the hell out of those Millennials with my Lucas Flamethrowers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear turn signals not LED