Rear turn signals not LED

Old 05-30-2018, 05:17 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Rear turn signals not LED

Seems that front and side turn signals and all other exterior lighting elements are LED. Can the rear halogens turn signal lights be swapped out for LEDs easily?

Also, speaking of lighting, has anyone seen anything about puddle lamps?
The following users liked this post:
Erik Aguilar Choo (12-08-2019)
Old 05-30-2018, 06:47 PM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
Never understand why they don’t make the turn signals led. Much lower end cars have them. It’s annoying. I think it really adds to a car.

I did read somewhere puddles are an option.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:49 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Yeah, every exterior light is LED except for the turn signals. Lame. Puddle lamps are available on certain trim apparently.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:13 PM
Advanced

2019 Acura RDX Press Kit - Honda News

puddle lamps standard on ALL models according to this press kit
Old 05-30-2018, 11:16 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by FLYGUY31
Never understand why they don’t make the turn signals led. Much lower end cars have them. It’s annoying. I think it really adds to a car.

I did read somewhere puddles are an option.
The Honda CR-V is one of them. Hilarious to me it has full LED and the RDX continues the same as before with a mix. At least the license plate lights are now LED. I had to go through and change a bunch of bulbs to LED on my 16.
KeithL (06-01-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 12:00 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by chickdr
The Honda CR-V is one of them. Hilarious to me it has full LED and the RDX continues the same as before with a mix. At least the license plate lights are now LED. I had to go through and change a bunch of bulbs to LED on my 16.
exactly. the lower end mainstream model has full LEDs. That's a joke.

To me, Acura still just doesn't know how to be a real luxury brand. They tend to cut corners (at least in the US market) that although small individually, combine to make their products lack the presence of a high end vehicle (RAV-4 style tailights, halogen turn signals, no power-folding mirrors).

Disappointing to me b/c I was considering a purchase of the new RDX after my current lease expires. Hopefully they'll get it right with the MMC.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:27 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
If that's the case, most so called luxury brands don't understand luxury....

I mean, why can't all luxury cars have LED headlights when they are standard on a Corolla?
justnspace (06-04-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 11:35 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
No Hyper Flash 7507 PY21W LED Turn Signal Light Bulbs, Plug-N-Play Style

You might be able to replace those PY21W bulbs with LEDs (link above).
burn1010 (06-04-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 10:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I know. I was going to get a new RDX and despite all of the very impressive content and over the top positive reviews on driving dynamics, I have changed my mind because there are no rear LED turn signal bulbs. Fire everyone at Acura.
The following 7 users liked this post by mapleloaf:
a35tl (06-03-2018), GW208 (06-03-2018), HillbillyInBC (07-23-2018), iforyou (06-03-2018), justnspace (06-04-2018), NightWriter (06-03-2018), Notte (06-10-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-03-2018, 10:21 AM
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TLX17
To me, Acura still just doesn't know how to be a real luxury brand. They tend to cut corners (at least in the US market) that although small individually, combine to make their products lack the presence of a high end vehicle (RAV-4 style tailights, halogen turn signals, no power-folding mirrors).
You can level this kind of argument about virtually every legitimate "luxury" brand, e.g. heated seats don't come standard on a Carrera. Keyless entry isn't standard on the E-class. The 3-series doesn't even offer ventilated seats or even a sync button for the climate zones.

Although it might not tick off every box from a loaded S-class, Acura offers a pretty sweet bundle of features in their packages, for thousands less than the competition.
The following 2 users liked this post by NightWriter:
marcolou (12-27-2019), romer (07-05-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 11:00 AM
DWG
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by NightWriter
You can level this kind of argument about virtually every legitimate "luxury" brand, e.g. heated seats don't come standard on a Carrera. Keyless entry isn't standard on the E-class. The 3-series doesn't even offer ventilated seats or even a sync button for the climate zones.

Although it might not tick off every box from a loaded S-class, Acura offers a pretty sweet bundle of features in their packages, for thousands less than the competition.
Thanks for pointing this out. I've been continually surprised by the features various "luxury" brands leave out.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:48 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
I know. I was going to get a new RDX and despite all of the very impressive content and over the top positive reviews on driving dynamics, I have changed my mind because there are no rear LED turn signal bulbs. Fire everyone at Acura.
My thoughts exactly. This aggression will not stand, man.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:50 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
What I don't get about this issue is that I don't see the turn signals when I'm driving.
romer (07-05-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 04:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 19RDX
What I don't get about this issue is that I don't see the turn signals when I'm driving.
It's not like the existing halogen turn signals are bad...car makers have been using them for decades and they're compliant with DOT. LEDs just offer better visibility and brightness than existing, but I highly doubt you can't see them while driving.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:41 PM
Advanced

Can the rear halogen turn signals be swapped out for LEDs?
Old 06-03-2018, 10:55 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I'm pretty sure you can....I swapped out my incandescent bulbs to LED ones for my CTR, inside and out.

Someone above already posted a link:
No Hyper Flash 7507 PY21W LED Turn Signal Light Bulbs, Plug-N-Play Style
burn1010 (06-04-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 11:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NightWriter

Not really. My point was that Acura vehicles (besides the MDX) don't have the PRESENCE of a luxury brand.. yet. Yes, German brands nickel and dime for everything, including the fact that Mercedes and BMW still come with halogens, but they can get away with that, bc of their badge. Acura can't. The fact is that Acura still isn't perceived as true luxury. I don't think anyone can honestly disagree with that. I was simply stating that if they including the little things that luxury cars have to COMPENSATE for their lessened-status as still generally being seen as 'fancy Hondas' , they'd be headed in the right direction. But I guess they needed to leave out updates for the 2022 model.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:14 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I don't think anyone is disagreeing that Acura doesn't have the same brand reputation as the German brands. The point people are making is that based on the new RDX, Acura is heading the right direction. Not having rear LED turn signals is a bit surprising, but it doesn't really mean Acura still doesn't know how to be a real luxury brand. That seems a bit harsh when the car does most other things so well. The idea is to make a car that feels like a luxury car, Missing a few features doesn't really take away from that. The problem with current Acura models is that if you take the price away, they aren't competitive, other than the MDX. The new RDX on the other hand, even if you don't consider the price, based on the first impressions and reviews so far, it at least looks, drives, and feels like a luxury car that can go head to head with the equivalent German models.
Madd Dog (07-05-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 01:35 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by iforyou
I don't think anyone is disagreeing that Acura doesn't have the same brand reputation as the German brands. The point people are making is that based on the new RDX, Acura is heading the right direction. Not having rear LED turn signals is a bit surprising, but it doesn't really mean Acura still doesn't know how to be a real luxury brand. That seems a bit harsh when the car does most other things so well. The idea is to make a car that feels like a luxury car, Missing a few features doesn't really take away from that. The problem with current Acura models is that if you take the price away, they aren't competitive, other than the MDX. The new RDX on the other hand, even if you don't consider the price, based on the first impressions and reviews so far, it at least looks, drives, and feels like a luxury car that can go head to head with the equivalent German models.
Definitely agree that RDX is a huge step in the right direction. However, I'm not isolating the 'true luxury brand' statement to only missing LEDs (although literally EVERY competing model has them), but also, no power folding mirrors, having to get the 'top' package just to get real wood trim, not to mention the AWFUL looking rims that were pulled off a CR-V for the Advance model. FTR, the Advance rims they revealed in NY were incredible; but Acura is charging almost $3k for them as 'accessory' wheels. Anyway to me, a luxury brand doesn't have to include all of these things but they should make them at least an OPTION (and not having to go aftermarket).

Not trying to be overly-critical, but I guess my standards were too high for an Acura in 2018. Hopefully by the time my A4 lease is up the MMC will include everything they left out.

Last edited by TLX17; 06-04-2018 at 01:38 AM.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:28 AM
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TLX17
...The fact is that Acura still isn't perceived as true luxury. I don't think anyone can honestly disagree with that. I was simply stating that if they including the little things that luxury cars have to COMPENSATE for their lessened-status as still generally being seen as 'fancy Hondas' , they'd be headed in the right direction.
Take a look at what Hyundai is trying to do with Genesis. You'd be hard-pressed to identify features missing from the G90 which S-Class/7-series/A8 have. You could even do this exercise with the Lexus LS. The Asian manufacturers offer more value because they have to in order to compete. Lexus has been around since 1989, and they're still trying to catch up to German cachet.

Overlooking small details like a turn signal doesn't help, but there's no silver bullet here.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:48 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I see where TLX17 is coming from. IMO, the normal wheels from the German brands are quite bland too. Mercedes offers a lot of wheel options though for quite a bit of money. I feel bad for you guys down in the States lol, We do get power folding mirrors here in Canada. I think not having real wood trim is alright in other trims since they still use real aluminum. Not sure about the US but the bundles/packages from Lexus are similar to Acura.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:02 PM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 133 Posts
At least it's a nice silver/amber bulb.
The LED replacements in the link to JDMTOY are not only $33.99 each but, claimed to be 3X brighter.
That seems unnecessary.

I'll wait until somebody else does it successfully. I won't be first
Old 07-05-2018, 04:45 PM
Racer

So I contacted the vendor that sells those turn signal LED bulbs, and because the front turn signals are already LED we will experience hyper flash if we only do a swap of the rear turn signal bulbs. You need to wire a load resistor to the turn signal plug to eliminate that.
catbert430 (07-05-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 05:00 PM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 133 Posts
Thanks for getting that information. They said you couldn't replace both front and rear without hyper-flash. I was wondering if that would affect us since we already had LED fronts.

That's a deal breaker.
The other problem is that every one of these LED vendors tout the fact that they are 3-4 times brighter than halogens.
We've got clear lenses. I don't want to blind the driver behind me. I've already been rear ended once.

Hopefully somebody can do an error-free LED that doesn't blind people.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:26 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Every car is a series of pluses and minuses.

The RDX is an absolutely fine car in all driving aspects. Rather than comparing the Advance to the run-of-the-mill competition, look at the Tech package. Can you get anywhere near there for a car that performs at this level? Five thousand won’t get you there. A robust 2.0 liter that is a match for BMW and Audi, a 10 speed modern tranny (the BMW and Audi are just as good, even if the number of speeds is different). An equal if not better AWD. Comfortable leather seats, a panoramic roof, all the driving aids, and on.

As a car, you can’t get near the RDX for 5 thou, if not more. If dropping a few things keeps the total under 50K for the balls-out trim levels, well, you can easily load up the competition with six or seven grand more stuff and go over 55K. (Shop Curry Acura online for your self-installed accessories, like cargo nets.)

I test drove a Tech today. The RDX is flying off the lot. While I sat there, mid day, mid week, the floor model sold, another couple came in to close out their deal, and a third came in asking about the new RDX. The salesman said, when asked (I was waiting for their dedicated test-drive Tech to come back), that they sold their last ‘18 a couple of days ago, and these things are moving. In conversation, he knew I wasn’t buying today, that my timeline is after the summer, when we get back from traveling, and enough before we go to Florida (end of January) to have the car fully broken in and my learning curve complete. So he said, November December? And I said, yeah. And, hopefully, by then, things will cool off. He said the new Acura support stuf will come out any day now, and will likely carry through ‘till Labor Day, so look to the next promo after that; all they have now is the thousand loyalty. He doesn’t know if it is lease or buy promo.

When end the time comes to make a decision, I will get the (as always) the best deal I can on the car I want to buy. Some folks get the best car they can on the deal they like best. To me, for a car, that is bass ackwards.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 07-05-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
...When end the time comes to make a decision, I will get the (as always) the best deal I can on the car I want to buy. Some folks get the best car they can on the deal they like best. To me, for a car, that is bass ackwards.
I used to be one of those that always tried to get the 'best' deal. Problem is there's no way to determine what the 'best' deal is so it becomes an exercise in frustration and stressing about whether or not I can do better. Now I sit down with all the information I can gather and decide on a deal I can be happy with and if I get it I go with it and don't look back, if I don't I don't buy and don't look back on that decision either. A lot less work and a lot less stress.

Regarding the RDX I'm waiting on right now I ended up about $500 better than my goal and about $2600 better than the dealer's initial 'offer'. Took about 3 hours and 2 emails before we got to "Done Deal".

Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited by MI-RDX; 07-05-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:09 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
I used to be one of those that always tried to get the 'best' deal. Problem is there's no way to determine what the 'best' deal is so it becomes an exercise in frustration and stressing about whether or not I can do better. Now I sit down with all the information I can gather and decide on a deal I can be happy with and if I get it I go with it and don't look back, if I don't I don't buy and don't look back on that decision either. A lot less work and a lot less stress.

Regarding the RDX I'm waiting on right now I ended up about $500 better than my goal and about $2600 better than the dealer's initial 'offer'. Took about 3 hours and 2 emails before we got to "Done Deal".

Different strokes for different folks.

Maybe it is a matter of definition, or emphasis. I get the best deal I can get. I normally get three bids, press each one, and arrive at a number I will either take, or go back to the drawing board. I can’t always get what I want, but I try to get what I need.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Madd Dog

Maybe it is a matter of definition, or emphasis. I get the best deal I can get. I normally get three bids, press each one, and arrive at a number I will either take, or go back to the drawing board. I can’t always get what I want, but I try to get what I need.
Yeah, sounds like we do pretty much the same.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:48 PM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
yes. And the death penalty! Funny. For the lights that count, e.g. head lights, fog lights, etc., of course LED. But a rear turn signal? Seriously? Had I not read about it I’d never know. Irrelevant.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:11 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by romer

yes. And the death penalty! Funny. For the lights that count, e.g. head lights, fog lights, etc., of course LED. But a rear turn signal? Seriously? Had I not read about it I’d never know. Irrelevant.
Don't forget that the back-up lights are three LEDs on each side. While not having LED rear turn signals is not an issue for me, I just don't understand why they designed all the lights to be LEDS except for the rear turn signals. Oh well, I guess that I'll live without them.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Guys, it's even worse than previously reported.

The Vanity Mirror Lights, Door Courtesy Lights and Glove Box Light are also incandescent.

Seriously thinking about cancelling my order - NOT.
The following 3 users liked this post by MI-RDX:
Madd Dog (07-06-2018), pnoi521 (07-06-2018), Stew4HD (07-06-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 06:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
"... It's the end of the world as we know it.. and I feel fine...." R.E.M.
"..Life is a lemon and I want my money back!" Meatloaf
Old 07-06-2018, 04:31 PM
Drifting

“I’m shocked, shocked,

Old 07-07-2018, 06:30 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the lack of LEDs bother anyone a stero shop can pro install them with load resistors with an hour of shop time. They solder all the connections and mount the resistor to the frame for heat dissipation. Have done this on a few cars - no issues through 8yrs/100k
Old 07-07-2018, 07:52 AM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
I haven’t looked but there are probably kits out there to swap them for LED. I know in my tsx I swapped some head lamps and markers to LED and I had to buy a clip that converted them which had some internal wiring so that it didn’t fry anything in the electrical system. Maybe a matter of waiting for them to hit the aftermarket.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:29 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah all it takes is a load resistor to dissipate the extra power. Quite simple, but I wouldn’t rely on any clip on kits...make sure all the connections are soldered and protected with heat shrink.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:04 AM
Racer

My two cents...

While LED turn signals aren't a game changer for me, as an Acura loyalist I see this as a bit of carelessness, oversight to the details, and lapse amongst the decision makers at Acura probably related to keeping the price down. The cost of aftermarket bulbs and load resistors is what, $70 total? Through economies of scale, high volume orders with Honda's many suppliers, I'm sure they could've delivered LED turn signals for 25% of that amount if not more. On a $45k car, what's another $20-30 at that point to the buyer? If they're going to go through the trouble of doing LED for everything else, why not go all the way?

The fact is that we've all noticed this miss, and are to some extent bothered enough to comment on it. Thousands of other potential buyers may notice it too. Will it be a deal breaker for people? Probably not.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:47 AM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Just a thought - is it possible they didn’t do LEDs in the turn signals because they somehow blend too much with the LED break lights so it would be harder to see that the turn signal is blinking if it was LED also? Has to be a legit reason for it.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
This discussion reminds me of the very old Arnold Palmer joke (this is the PC version) when a unknowing gas station attendant asked Arnie what those things (tees) were he had in the ashtray. Arnie said, “I put those under my balls!”. The attendant responded, “Damn, this Cadillac has everything!”.

Last edited by Rexorg; 07-08-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Dizzyg12
Just a thought - is it possible they didn’t do LEDs in the turn signals because they somehow blend too much with the LED break lights so it would be harder to see that the turn signal is blinking if it was LED also? Has to be a legit reason for it.
need something for the MMC

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear turn signals not LED