RDX Vs. TLX

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 01:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up RDX Vs. TLX

I traded in a 2013 AWD RDX on a 2015 TLX SHAWD with V6 and I made the mistake of assuming that the TLX would be everything I have come to expect from Acura (owned many Acura cars over the years) and really did not give it a good thorough test drive like I normally would. After taking possession of the TLX and driving it for a while I became dismayed with several aspects of the car. First the brakes had no initial bite and had major break pedal travel before the brakes would eventually grab and then grab too much. There was no direct feel for the brakes and it was like the computer was completely in control. I thought maybe their might be air in the brake system but the dealer told me that's how they all are and would not bleed the brakes unless I paid for it.
The transmission was even worse than the brakes, the throttle response was atrocious in large part to a huge delay before the trans would down shit. Also shifts varied greatly at any give time from smooth to harsh, never could figure that one out.
Then there's the mildew that would build up on the evaporator and cause the car to smell like dirty socks when you first started the car after it had sit in the garage overnight. I've had multiple Acura cars over the years and this was a first. Dealer told me there was nothing I could do and that his Honda Odyssey did the same thing and that it helped to turn off the recirculation fan and let it run for few minutes that way and leave the windows down when parked in the garage over night and that would help.
Those three things combined made for a disappointing experience having owned multiple Acura cars over the years and If I could have I would have turned right around and got rid of it. I came awfully close to trading it on a Lexus or BMW 4 series. But I just could not bare the loss in value so I waited and I'm glad I did. Let me say; two great attributes of the TLX was the motor and the way the car rode. The TLX almost had a plush ride similar to the big cars of the 70's, but yet handled quite well.
That brings me to the RDX, when it was released and I started reading he reviews I got excited and thought now might be a good time to trade in the TLX. I did my research, realized I was not going to get them to come down much on the RDX but I was fully expecting to receive customer loyalty discount and a great trade in value. With that said I went the dealership knowing what their inventory was and told them I was interested in the Tech package and wanted to drive the silver one I had seen on their web site. I was told the sliver sold and all they had was the brown, the brown was not bad looking but just did not do it for me. But then when I saw the A-Spec in Red I thought man that's sharp and I took it out for about a 45 minute drive around the city. Another plus in my favor was the salesman I was with sold me our last two Acura's and new I was not happy with the TLX.
The short of it is that I loved the RDX and forgot how much I like to sit a bit higher, TLX really sits low like a sports car. The RDX A-Spec is not the quickest but the way the power is delivered by the turbo four and all that torque down low works really well with the ten speed transmission. There is a slight delay in the transmission but nothing like the TLX had. Also the shifts are really quick but very smooth compared to the TLX. I got to says the ride is a bit firm, but I just came from the TLX which rides a lot like a 70's Cadillac. My wife has a 2014 MDX and it rides a bit firm than it, but the handling is superb. Really love the interior and I just fit in the RDX very well, almost like it was made for me regarding the way the seat feels, distance to the pedals and steering wheel, etc. Oh, and the brakes feel soooooo good compared the TLX and work fantastic.
So I traded in the TLX and the dealership did give me a quite favorable trade-in allowance and after about 600 miles I am really liking the RDX and now feel like I'm in a car worthy of the Acura moniker. If you are looking for an SUV and want one that is a bit sporty the RDX is one to definitely look at. If you want the great handling you have to spring for the SHAWD, there's no comparison to how it handles compared to the FWD or the older model AWD.
Based on the TLX forums many others shared my sentiments towards the TLX and I believe that the disappointing attributes of the TLX really put a black eye on Acura. I truly hope that the 2019 TLX has been sorted out and performs much more like the RDX. I believe I read that the new TLX is receiving the same transmission as the RDX so that should make a huge difference. So maybe in the future I will consider the TLX again, but for now I'm more than happy with the RDX.
Good Job Acura!

The following users liked this post:
billyt1963 (08-11-2018)