An RDX Type-S to come?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 10:09 PM
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
An RDX Type-S to come?

Following this forum quite closely, I have been eagerly awaiting the new RDX. I have an aging Toyota Sienna which is starting to cost me too much money so I have been looking to hand down my 2012 TL to the wife and hop in a new RDX. I have really enjoyed my TL and I have always tended towards the Japanese since I do like to keep my cars for as long as they live. This will probably be the last premium vehicle I can realistically justify since I’m still driving quite a bit for work but I can see retirement in my not too distant future. With this considered I’m very disappointed that it appears the A-Spec package cannot be combined with the top-trim Platinum Elite (Advanced model in the US) as the A-Spec visual enhancements really make the look of the new RDX to me. Moreover, I realize the 2.0t is perfectly adequate power wise, but I wouldn’t mind paying a little extra for more power than my TL (300hp+) with a nice big brake kit and a track tuned suspension to top it all off. I realized what I’m really looking for then is an RDX Type-S as I don’t want to spend the $70K+ (CDN) it would cost to get into a loaded BMW X3 M40i.

From what I gather I’m not alone in wanting for a little more the RDX. Logic tells me it won’t be for another 3 years before we see an RDX Type-S as the engineers will be busy pushing out new redesigned models. I’ve been searching the internet all over hoping to find signs Acura will take after the Germans and release their performance version just a year after the new model introduction. Here’s to hoping the RDX Type-S drops sooner rather than later (assuming its coming at all), I don’t know if I can wait 3 years for the RDX MMC.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
it’s mind boggling that Acura could mess this one up so badly. They’ve designed and engineered a pretty good car, but marketing has got it completely wrong.
Old 06-02-2018, 01:38 AM
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 188 Posts
Acura has said they are working on an Acura exclusive twin turbo 3L V6 that will power Type-S versions of their cars. They also said the RDX's front end was re-engineered to support a V6 expect a Type-S RDX.

Return of Type S and All-new V6 Turbo Underscore Renewed Commitment to Performance Throughout Acura Core Model Lineup - Acura News

I'm not sure what their timeline is to have it to market but if they're already working on it that suggests 2 years or whenever the next TLX shows up.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:18 AM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
My dealer told me the TLX-S will land never summer. Maybe the RDX comes with it. It’s a possibility.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:25 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
You can always make your own Type-S RDX like some will with aftermarket parts:
- RDX Adv
- Purchase RDX A-Spec body parts
- black out chrome accents
- add Hondata reflash Stage I 25hp/25tq or Stage II 45hp/40tq for $695 (when available for RDX)
Old 06-02-2018, 10:48 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by FLYGUY31
My dealer told me the TLX-S will land never summer. Maybe the RDX comes with it. It’s a possibility.
It'll never happen with the current gen but if Acura's making a TT V6 it's gotta go somewhere and there's only 4 vehicles that could take it: RDX, MDX (next gen), TLX (next gen), RLX (good as dead?)
Old 06-02-2018, 12:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Maybe me, but don’t see a huge market for a Type-S RDX, sure SQ5 I get it, but not sure about RDX.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:58 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by supafamous
It'll never happen with the current gen but if Acura's making a TT V6 it's gotta go somewhere and there's only 4 vehicles that could take it: RDX, MDX (next gen), TLX (next gen), RLX (good as dead?)
agreed, as much as I would love a v6 turbo I don’t see it happening on this generation RDX.
Old 06-02-2018, 01:28 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by starlord

agreed, as much as I would love a v6 turbo I don’t see it happening on this generation RDX.
I meant that the current gen TLX won't get the V6 turbo. The new RDX is specifically engineered to accept that motor so no one should be surprised to see it arrive with it in a couple years.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by joe1234
Following this forum quite closely, I have been eagerly awaiting the new RDX. I have an aging Toyota Sienna which is starting to cost me too much money so I have been looking to hand down my 2012 TL to the wife and hop in a new RDX. I have really enjoyed my TL and I have always tended towards the Japanese since I do like to keep my cars for as long as they live. This will probably be the last premium vehicle I can realistically justify since I’m still driving quite a bit for work but I can see retirement in my not too distant future. With this considered I’m very disappointed that it appears the A-Spec package cannot be combined with the top-trim Platinum Elite (Advanced model in the US) as the A-Spec visual enhancements really make the look of the new RDX to me. Moreover, I realize the 2.0t is perfectly adequate power wise, but I wouldn’t mind paying a little extra for more power than my TL (300hp+) with a nice big brake kit and a track tuned suspension to top it all off. I realized what I’m really looking for then is an RDX Type-S as I don’t want to spend the $70K+ (CDN) it would cost to get into a loaded BMW X3 M40i.

From what I gather I’m not alone in wanting for a little more the RDX. Logic tells me it won’t be for another 3 years before we see an RDX Type-S as the engineers will be busy pushing out new redesigned models. I’ve been searching the internet all over hoping to find signs Acura will take after the Germans and release their performance version just a year after the new model introduction. Here’s to hoping the RDX Type-S drops sooner rather than later (assuming its coming at all), I don’t know if I can wait 3 years for the RDX MMC.
I do expect a Type-S (originally was dead set it wasn’t happening) but it could be a few years away. I doubt this new RDX will see a Type-S so soon, however it would be a smart move to release it a year after to keep sales super strong. I would do what Mrgold35 suggests and buy an Elite-Platinum and then turn it into an A-Spec. The wheels and black trim are easy enough. A simple tune is also possible, so it’s easily doable.

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
it’s mind boggling that Acura could mess this one up so badly. They’ve designed and engineered a pretty good car, but marketing has got it completely wrong.
I agree. The A-Spec should have been a package NOT a trim level. So much stupidity there.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:52 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I'm not sure what they messed up so badly. Their sales goal is 65,000 a year. That is ~5,400/mo. I think once they get up to full production they make that number. Cost/value is a big part of their marketing. If they made too many variants that starts to erode as the competition with more desirable badges gets closer in price. We'll see at the end of the first year if their made their goal. Their goal isn't to make everyone happy, just sell 65,000 cars.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I'm not sure what they messed up so badly. Their sales goal is 65,000 a year. That is ~5,400/mo. I think once they get up to full production they make that number. Cost/value is a big part of their marketing. If they made too many variants that starts to erode as the competition with more desirable badges gets closer in price. We'll see at the end of the first year if their made their goal. Their goal isn't to make everyone happy, just sell 65,000 cars.
In a way, your post suggests that the accountants run the company. Maybe that’s the point that I’m trying to make. For the majority of us, buying a car, perhaps buying anything really, is equal parts logic and emotion. If you take the emotion out of the equation, we’d probably all be driving the cheapest car out there.

I want (or wanted, anyway) the best RDX that could possibly be gotten. It needs to look great and have all the features that are currently available. Best of all, I’m willing to pay for it. I have a 2018 TLX A-Spec Elite. Ironic that Acura makes those for the even smaller Canadian market but won’t (not can’t) do it on what is probably an even more profitable model. Of course there’s always some level of risk in any business venture, but playing it safe is what kept Acura in a slump for the last 10 years. Playing it safe is what might end up keeping Acura from being a truly premium brand. I’m sure there’ll be enough consumers out there who aren’t quite as demanding so that it ensures Acura will meet their sales targets. I just wish they had also thought about people like me.

Oh well.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:26 AM
Pro

In a way, your post suggests that the accountants run the company. Maybe that’s the point that I’m trying to make. For the majority of us, buying a car, perhaps buying anything really, is equal parts logic and emotion. If you take the emotion out of the equation, we’d probably all be driving the cheapest car out there.

I want (or wanted, anyway) the best RDX that could possibly be gotten. It needs to look great and have all the features that are currently available. Best of all, I’m willing to pay for it. I have a 2018 TLX A-Spec Elite. Ironic that Acura makes those for the even smaller Canadian market but won’t (not can’t) do it on what is probably an even more profitable model. Of course there’s always some level of risk in any business venture, but playing it safe is what kept Acura in a slump for the last 10 years. Playing it safe is what might end up keeping Acura from being a truly premium brand. I’m sure there’ll be enough consumers out there who aren’t quite as demanding so that it ensures Acura will meet their sales targets. I just wish they had also thought about people like me.

Oh well.
I'm not Rocket_man but this isn't a "run by accountants" problem - this is tradeoff of finite engineering resources. I go through this every day with software - do we ship v1 today which satisfies 90% of the market and ship v2 a year later which covers the whole market or do I hold the whole project till v2 is ready and miss out on customers who'd readily buy v1 and who would fund the development work necessary for v2?

The V6 turbo isn't ready for public consumption (and probably won't be for 18-24 months) and diverting resources from getting v1 (the 4 cylinder version) out quickly to lining up v2 to be the first release would Acura a sizeable chunk of the market (the folks who are perfectly satisfied with a 4 cylinder who end up getting competitor products). In my case if the new RDX wasn't released this year I'd be looking at only a C300 wagon and not the 2G RDX (the meat of the market are folks like me).

Acura could have found other ways to accelerate the development of the V6 turbo but what would they have cut to make it happen? The hybrid MDX? The refreshed TLX? Have a less well integrated 2019 RDX? Delay the NSX? (The engineers who did the NSX V6 are quite likely the same ones doing this new V6)

Releasing the high performance model a bit later is entirely normal and a reasonable tradeoff in the face of limited engineering resources (engineers don't magically show up when an accountant says so). This is true whether you're VW/Audi, Toyota, Porsche, Subaru etc.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by supafamous
I'm not Rocket_man but this isn't a "run by accountants" problem - this is tradeoff of finite engineering resources. I go through this every day with software - do we ship v1 today which satisfies 90% of the market and ship v2 a year later which covers the whole market or do I hold the whole project till v2 is ready and miss out on customers who'd readily buy v1 and who would fund the development work necessary for v2?

The V6 turbo isn't ready for public consumption (and probably won't be for 18-24 months) and diverting resources from getting v1 (the 4 cylinder version) out quickly to lining up v2 to be the first release would Acura a sizeable chunk of the market (the folks who are perfectly satisfied with a 4 cylinder who end up getting competitor products). In my case if the new RDX wasn't released this year I'd be looking at only a C300 wagon and not the 2G RDX (the meat of the market are folks like me).

Acura could have found other ways to accelerate the development of the V6 turbo but what would they have cut to make it happen? The hybrid MDX? The refreshed TLX? Have a less well integrated 2019 RDX? Delay the NSX? (The engineers who did the NSX V6 are quite likely the same ones doing this new V6)

Releasing the high performance model a bit later is entirely normal and a reasonable tradeoff in the face of limited engineering resources (engineers don't magically show up when an accountant says so). This is true whether you're VW/Audi, Toyota, Porsche, Subaru etc.
I wasn’t referring to the turbo V6 Type S. I’ve just been hoping for an A-Spec that was also a Platinum Elite (Advance in the US).
Old 06-03-2018, 06:22 PM
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I take it that limited engineering resources and an unfinished V6 turbo motor is most likely the case Acura has run into. I have seen a few photos of some TLX mules running around different parts of the USA and I would wager that Acura is ramping up to drop a redesigned TLX next year for the 2020 model year. No conclusive evidence in these photos suggest that these development mules are hiding a new V6 under their skin but I’m really hoping that is the case. Perhaps in a few months if we see some test vehicles rolling around with 4-piston monoblock brake callipers we might have evidence of the new TLX Type-S. I just hope Acura sees it prudent to push out the RDX Type-S alongside this new TLX. I’m a little skeptical that Acura will have enough resources to develop this new model (TLX) while also spending time to retune and push out a modified low-volume RDX Type-S along side it. However, I shall keep my fingers crossed and pray my van can withstand the wait. I think had an A-Spec Platinum Elite been released I would have jumped all over it. Maybe I’m a little biased but I feel like it was chosen not to release an A-Spec Platinum Elite as that top spot in the line-up (top luxury and sport combination) will be reserved for the Type-S variant with the hopes of up-selling a few customers. But then again …… I’m probably reading too much into it as the A-Spec has always been a lower trimmed model in the USA.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:29 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts

Oh well.
I understand you may want the best RDX that could possibly be gotten, but in reality that is probably not an Acura you want. If cost is not an issue for you, maybe a Stelvia or Macan or Range Rover would be more appropriate. Somewhere posted here is Acura's marketing plan for the RDX. Somewhere on the first few pages is how it compares cost wise to its competition. They are clearly going for the value comparison, even though the 19 RDX has stepped it up compared to the previous generation. I think this is always Acura's game plan, the value edge. They are not an 'at any cost' kind of company. But I suspect you came to Acura because you were attracted to the value, you just wanted one or two things you didn't get. Most cars are a compromise, unless you are willing to spend more until there is no compromise. Acura wants to sell 65,000 of these and part of their strategy is the value of the car against the competition.

If they made a A-Spec in every trim level them I'd bet it would just be bolt on items, like a bolt of aero kits and different wheels. That is not a great approach. No red seats for example or special paint color. But to make an A-Spec in each trim just adds another SKU and ads more cost. And it would push the top trim well over $50K US and I suspect they wanted to stay below that number due to their marketing plan for the car.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:03 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
I understand where SebringSilver is coming from and I also wish there's a RDX Advance Trim with A-spec pkg. That would probably cost $2k more than the current Advance trim. I can see the challenge from Acura's side is that there are more combinations to sell and logistically more difficult.

At $2k more, it's still $51k only, which is still considerably cheaper than fully loaded Macans, Stelvios, Q5's, GLC300's, etc. It's quite profitable for Acura too since the only parts that really cost money would be the larger rims and the rear diffuser. The smoked tail lights and black trims don't really add cost.
The following users liked this post:
SebringSilver (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 01:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I understand you may want the best RDX that could possibly be gotten, but in reality that is probably not an Acura you want. If cost is not an issue for you, maybe a Stelvia or Macan or Range Rover would be more appropriate. Somewhere posted here is Acura's marketing plan for the RDX. Somewhere on the first few pages is how it compares cost wise to its competition. They are clearly going for the value comparison, even though the 19 RDX has stepped it up compared to the previous generation. I think this is always Acura's game plan, the value edge. They are not an 'at any cost' kind of company. But I suspect you came to Acura because you were attracted to the value, you just wanted one or two things you didn't get. Most cars are a compromise, unless you are willing to spend more until there is no compromise. Acura wants to sell 65,000 of these and part of their strategy is the value of the car against the competition.

If they made a A-Spec in every trim level them I'd bet it would just be bolt on items, like a bolt of aero kits and different wheels. That is not a great approach. No red seats for example or special paint color. But to make an A-Spec in each trim just adds another SKU and ads more cost. And it would push the top trim well over $50K US and I suspect they wanted to stay below that number due to their marketing plan for the car.
The interesting thing is they do make an A-Spec of every trim level for the TLX, at least up here in Canada. Because of that, I was really looking forward to the release of this new RDX. I do not want another Range Rover, there’s at least 4 on my block and I already got taken to the cleaners when I sold my 2012 RRS. I was really hoping to be able to enjoy the new RDX for a year or so before they proliferated too much. At this stage, I can only hope that a Type S is really in the works and that it will have all the bells and whistles when they launch it, along with some new colours.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:54 AM
NJT

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I am a bit surprised the MDX Sports Hybrid is not selling more than it is. It's the best deal you can get in a 3-row luxury SUV. For only $1500 more you get greater HP and performance and MUCH greater city MPG. I think Acura has not done a good job marketing this technology and predict that the future TYPE-S label will mean a V6-Twin turbo sports hybrid. I am hopeful this will get to the new RDX by 2019 as I am ready to trade in my 2010 MDX but am willing to wait to see if the Type S/sports hybrid gets to the RDX.