RDX outsells Q5 for first time in February 2019

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 11:20 PM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Njbrandon
The 2 issues I had with the NX were the awd torque steer and the infotainment touch pad. Fit and finish were excellent.

I ended up getting a NX F-Sport. Apparently I'm one of the few who really likes the design... Fully loaded it was quite a bit cheaper than the RDX with similar options. $2,500 in lease cash and the lowest money factor in the business makes a big difference.

The touchpad is better in the RDX but after using it in the NX for a few months it's not an issue. It's definitely not something easy to use right off the bat. I'd prefer a touchscreen.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:43 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,582 Likes on 952 Posts
Today Infiniti announced that they will pull from Western Europe market by early 2020 and DISCONTINUE the QX30 by mid 2019. This proves that you can't sell any SUV and be able to compete with European manufacturer (although the SUV market is hot). If we are seeing the RDX is outselling Q5 or X3 is the result of a great product and nothing else.

GLA, X1, X2, XC40 and now UX are selling well and yet Inifniti is discontinuing a car in this segment. What does it tell you? Bad product doesn't sell. Way to go Acura!!!
Old 03-13-2019, 10:37 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRodW
Can you imagine the showroom traffic if the Lexus utilities looked like Range Rovers? A Velar, for example, with Lexus reliability and dealer experience? It appears Lincoln is finally getting it. I predict the Aviator will be a smash hit, and Lincoln is a far cry from Lexus in terms of reputation.
would be insane. I just saw the new Evoque and I’m totally curious in it now. That velar is near perfect design in so many ways. If they fix their electrical bugs man.

Going to to cross shop the evoque with the RDX when I start shopping at the end of the year.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:43 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Njbrandon
The 2 issues I had with the NX were the awd torque steer and the infotainment touch pad. Fit and finish were excellent.
​​​​​​​for me too the cockpit in the NX feels cramped vs the RDX.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:40 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by platocplx
would be insane. I just saw the new Evoque and I’m totally curious in it now. That velar is near perfect design in so many ways. If they fix their electrical bugs man.

Going to to cross shop the evoque with the RDX when I start shopping at the end of the year.
Jaguar / Land Rover are like the wives of Henry VIII. They keep finding themselves kneeling at the chopping block.

Now their sugar daddy makes buses and construction equipment. I wonder how much more cash bleed he will tolerate until he bulldozes the whole works?
Old 03-14-2019, 11:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada
That's pic is funny as hell. Ya I am in the same camp and that's why j am here, not Lexus forum. Many of my friends who has a Lexus swears by them on reliability and I believe them. I just can't get over how ugly the front designs are... Dubbed the iron skirt.

I wish they will move on from this design language. Look at Mazda! Mazda proves you don't need German design team to make beautiful cars.
Mazdas are beautiful but still obviously Japanese IMO. Genesis cars only look good because of the German designers lol. However I do fully agree that Mazda blows Lexus out of the water in terms of looks.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:21 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,416 Likes on 1,868 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Today Infiniti announced that they will pull from Western Europe market by early 2020 and DISCONTINUE the QX30 by mid 2019. This proves that you can't sell any SUV and be able to compete with European manufacturer (although the SUV market is hot). If we are seeing the RDX is outselling Q5 or X3 is the result of a great product and nothing else.

GLA, X1, X2, XC40 and now UX are selling well and yet Inifniti is discontinuing a car in this segment. What does it tell you? Bad product doesn't sell. Way to go Acura!!!
Correction: bad product without the brand cachet doesn’t sell. The QX30 is a rebadged GLA. Both are pretty underwhelming but at least with the latter you get a Merc badge.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:15 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux

...The QX30 is a rebadged GLA. Both are pretty underwhelming but at least with the latter you get a Merc badge.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:23 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Acura seems to think its buyer's want badges. On my first Acura (an Integra), the engine had a Honda H badge on it. On my TSX, it had an Acura A badge on it. I recall reading a few years back that people were complaining that the glass on their Acura's had Honda written on it. I do not know if that was changed.

And don't even get me started on the huge A badge on the front on new Acura's. Back in the day, the badge was about 1/10th the size.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:29 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by cruiserchuck
Acura seems to think its buyer's want badges. On my first Acura (an Integra), the engine had a Honda H badge on it. On my TSX, it had an Acura A badge on it. I recall reading a few years back that people were complaining that the glass on their Acura's had Honda written on it. I do not know if that was changed.

And don't even get me started on the huge A badge on the front on new Acura's. Back in the day, the badge was about 1/10th the size.
I think the huge A is there to hide the radar, so I am cool with it.

I am not a badge person. To me, my Integra was a Civic platform with a much better engine and a nicer interior. In short, it had better things that were worth the higher price.

My E-60 BMW 535 was a sport sedan that did 0-60 in five and a half seconds, and could do a 700 mile highway cruise at 28mpg, and leave you able to finish the day. Combining that with European Delivery that got you a vacation in Germany and high speed runs on the autobahn, and that was worth the cost.

Badges?!? I coudn’t care less. Both cars could have been called Hondas, and if they did what the cars involved did, I would be cool with it.

But then, I wear Lands End polo shirts made with the good cotton from Peru and that don’t have the fancy logo.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 03-15-2019 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:54 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts

I think the huge A is there to hide the radar, so I am cool with it.

I am not a badge person. To me, my Integra was a Civic platform with a much better engine and a nicer interior. In short, it had better things that were worth the higher price.

My E-60 BMW 535 was a sport sedan that did 0-60 in five and a half seconds, and could do a 700 mile highway cruise at 28mpg, and leave you able to finish the day. Combining that with European Delivery that got you a vacation in Germany and high speed runs on the autobahn, and that was worth the cost.

Badges?!? I coudn’t care less. Both cars could have been called Hondas, and if they did what the cars involved did, I would be cool with it.

But then, I wear Lands End polo shirts made with the good cotton from Peru and that don’t have the fancy logo.
I also agree that the big A on the front is to hide the RADAR, no big deal. (very bad pun intended). Doesn't bother me.

I could not design a vehicle, yet I often see some design features on vehicles that I don't care for. Personal tastes. The big A is not one of them.

I've seen a few Q5's and they do look nice, kinda conservative..but looks are not my first priority when I buy a vehicle...as long as I don't consider it ugly.

Last edited by JB in AZ; 03-15-2019 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:07 PM
Drifting

Yeah. That catfish mouth on Toyota/Lexus is just hideous.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:39 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
I'm very excited because this demand will both give Acura the cash flow and prompt them to expand the RDX powertrain lineup! There have already been spy shots of the 4G MDX Type-S and I can definitely see that powertrain making its way into the RDX! RDX with 400hp? YES PLEASE!!!
I'd rather that Acura take the profit from the success of the new RDX and use it to fix the dam infotainment system, which is really starting to get on my nerves. I'm darn tired of the constant spinning "loading" circle 2 out of 3 times that I drive the car. For ALL the positives of this vehicle for $50 grand they should have an infotainment system that works better. Maybe they should take some RDX profit and give every RDX software engineer a car and I'll bet the system would get sorted out pretty dam quick. Just a thought.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:49 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mrblase
I'd rather that Acura take the profit from the success of the new RDX and use it to fix the dam infotainment system, which is really starting to get on my nerves. I'm darn tired of the constant spinning "loading" circle 2 out of 3 times that I drive the car. For ALL the positives of this vehicle for $50 grand they should have an infotainment system that works better. Maybe they should take some RDX profit and give every RDX software engineer a car and I'll bet the system would get sorted out pretty dam quick. Just a thought.
The guys writing the code may be driving scooters in Bangladesh.

And they may be working for a subcontractor for Pioneer, which I believe is the subcontractor for Acura that builds the infotainment electronics.

Or they might be working for a subcontractor for HERE ( currently based in Germany? ), which is the subcontractor somewhat responsible for the built-in navigation system.

Or they could be working for Google or Apple, and this system is one of about a dozen things on their plate, the prioritization of which changes after every weekly department meeting.

Call me a cynic.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:41 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts

Speaking of the giant A maybe acura has a new mascot

​​​​​
Old 03-16-2019, 12:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mrblase
I do not disagree whatsoever! I have had cars that were a constant source of headache and everytime I drove them I did not know if something was going to happen or work...etc. So I totally can sympathize with how frustrating it is.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:10 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by fiatlux

Correction: bad product without the brand cachet doesn’t sell. The QX30 is a rebadged GLA. Both are pretty underwhelming but at least with the latter you get a Merc badge.
Not sure, what about he QX50??? Why isn’t selling? It’s not a rebadged. The sales numbers are beyond bad.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:46 AM
Drifting

Not sure, what about he QX50??? Why isn’t selling? It’s not a rebadged. The sales numbers are beyond bad.

Nissan is not known for its great engines, and the variable compression engine is a huge risk. Too, CVTs at that price point are a turn-off to many, rightly or wrongly. Add that to the comments of car mags that between the variable transmission and the variable engine, there are times when the car doesn’t know WTF to do, and the question comes up “what is so great about this car that it is worth dealing with all that?”. The answer seems to be “nothing”.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:07 AM
AZ Community Team

Nissan is not known for its great engines, and the variable compression engine is a huge risk. Too, CVTs at that price point are a turn-off to many, rightly or wrongly. Add that to the comments of car mags that between the variable transmission and the variable engine, there are times when the car doesn’t know WTF to do, and the question comes up “what is so great about this car that it is worth dealing with all that?”. The answer seems to be “nothing”.
fully agree with you! I would add one more thing. The badge. Infiniti is equally struggling with the brand/image like Acura.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:55 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

This may be the answer. From Motor Trend's long term update of the QX50:
Managing art director Mike Royer complained that Infiniti's infotainment system feels like it's a generation behind. After four months behind the wheel of the QX50, I'd say that's a bit of an understatement. When I plug my phone in, for example, the Infiniti recognizes it as an iPod. When was the last time someone under 40 used an iPod?
If the system worked well, though, it would be less of a problem. I'd still complain about the dated graphics and lack of Apple CarPlay, but I wouldn't use words such as "embarrassing" when I did. Unfortunately, it's also unreliable.
Sometimes the Bluetooth stays paired. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I can play music directly off my phone. Sometimes I can't. The unpredictability is frustrating. And remember that part about the system thinking phones are iPods? Well, when you don't have any music saved to iTunes, it has no idea what to do.
Even more frustrating is the fact that the software is incredibly buggy. And because Infiniti's service department couldn't find anything wrong when I took it in last month, I can only assume there's an issue with the software itself. That means other owners may be dealing with a system that regularly glitches, too.
Over the last several months, I've had to deal with the navigation screen flickering, detecting phantom inputs, randomly rotating the map, and displaying confusing messages. The lower screen has been more reliable, but it's still crashed on me and given me at least one "Launcher has stopped unexpectedly" message. And people wonder why I have a magnetic phone mount and use Waze or for all my navigational needs.
If I'd gone into the dealer and they'd said, "Oh, we have an update that fixes those problems," that would have been one thing. But with no solution in sight, it looks like I'm stuck with the QX50 the way it is. And if the dealer can't figure out what's wrong in the next couple months, we're really going to have a problem.

On a near-$60,000 luxury vehicle, it's simply not acceptable to have so many problems with the infotainment system.

The following users liked this post:
Tony Pac (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 04:05 PM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 140 Posts
Yes it has the infotainment system from the Q50 sedan. It’s very dated.

Most of the Infiniti lineup is in dire need of redesign. The medium and large suvs also have old interior designs and infotainment systems.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:58 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Dead fish handshake

Originally Posted by ross7777

Most of the Infiniti lineup is in dire need of redesign. The medium and large suvs also have old interior designs and infotainment systems.
I like the body style and interior appointments of the QX50.

However, as stated in the Motortrend article, the infotainment system is dated. Hence it’s lack of functionality.

Even worse, driving the car was nothing like I expected. The steering was vague and numb. Transmission and engine pairing felt impotent.

I don’t think I drove it more than a mile into a test drive before I just said ‘not for me’.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:11 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by Marino Moutafis

I like the body style and interior appointments of the QX50.

However, as stated in the Motortrend article, the infotainment system is dated. Hence it’s lack of functionality.

Even worse, driving the car was nothing like I expected. The steering was vague and numb. Transmission and engine pairing felt impotent.

I don’t think I drove it more than a mile into a test drive before I just said ‘not for me’.

100% agree. My thoughts EXACTLY
Old 03-20-2019, 01:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ross7777

How stupid can Infiniti be? Literally the HOTTEST segment in cars and they bring in a lukewarm crossover with a CVT and a strange new engine with infotainment from 10 years ago and a price tag that makes the Germans look normally priced?

Not to mention the QX60 is ancient now and the QX80 is ridiculously ugly and old. They also desperately need to bring in the QX70(FX) new gen model. With them pulling out of Europe I feel like we're witnessing their demise.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:45 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 03-20-2019, 08:08 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by RDX10
How stupid can Infiniti be? Literally the HOTTEST segment in cars and they bring in a lukewarm crossover with a CVT and a strange new engine with infotainment from 10 years ago and a price tag that makes the Germans look normally priced?

Not to mention the QX60 is ancient now and the QX80 is ridiculously ugly and old. They also desperately need to bring in the QX70(FX) new gen model. With them pulling out of Europe I feel like we're witnessing their demise.
As with Mark Twain, perhaps we shouldn't print the obituary until they are dead.

Besides, there are lots of brands that are fun to hate on. Infiniti hardly seems worth the effort. But how 'bout them Jeeps?

As for the above list, in what universe do X3, Q5, Renegade, and Durango belong on the same list?
Old 03-21-2019, 12:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Wander
As with Mark Twain, perhaps we shouldn't print the obituary until they are dead.

Besides, there are lots of brands that are fun to hate on. Infiniti hardly seems worth the effort. But how 'bout them Jeeps?

As for the above list, in what universe do X3, Q5, Renegade, and Durango belong on the same list?
Good point! As per Jeep, I actually really like the GC and Wrangler. If Jeep could get their shit together and produce something that isn't a steaning pile, they'd be very high on my list.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:57 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Where I am, a lot of Uber drivers are getting Infinitis now because they're pretty cheap...especially the QX60.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by al28
Where I am, a lot of Uber drivers are getting Infinitis now because they're pretty cheap...especially the QX60.
That is because Uber categorize QX60 as luxury and therefore allowed for Uber Black requests.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:53 PM
AZ Community Team

Don’t say that guys, Infiniti fanboys will be disappointed lol!

On a serious note, my friend had an accident last week. His Audi dealer gave him a QX60 as a courtesy car.
Also, there is a car rental company in Montreal “Globe” they rent QX60 as a 7 passengers vehicle.

I find this is terrible for Infiniti image.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:19 PM
Drifting

Don’t say that guys, Infiniti fanboys will be disappointed lol!

On a serious note, my friend had an accident last week. His Audi dealer gave him a QX60 as a courtesy car.
Also, there is a car rental company in Montreal “Globe” they rent QX60 as a 7 passengers vehicle.

I find this is terrible for Infiniti image.
Lots of taxis in Europe are Mercedes, so...
Old 03-21-2019, 07:56 PM
AZ Community Team

Lots of taxis in Europe are Mercedes, so...

You just said it, Europe and we are in North America. Two different markets and Infiniti us going to shut down the European market soon.