RDX outsells Q5 for first time in February 2019

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 08:42 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
RDX outsells Q5 for first time in February 2019

Honda Sales Dip Just 1.6% In February - Acura Sales JUMP 11.3% For Month - AutoSpies Auto News

Audi Sales Hit A Wall In February - Down 12.2% For Month - AutoSpies Auto News

February 2019 RDX sales, 4965...Q5 4359...X3 4706

Last edited by zo0mie; 03-02-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:28 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts
There's got to be some happy problem free RDX owners in that new bunch of sales.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:49 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts
RDX won’t stop!
Acura has MDX and TLX in the pipeline as well. With the success of RDX, Acura is making sure to have a big year.

Infiniti was hopeful to capture this segment with the new QX50, but results show that it’s a massive flop.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 870 Likes on 666 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
RDX won’t stop!
Acura has MDX and TLX in the pipeline as well. With the success of RDX, Acura is making sure to have a big year.

Infiniti was hopeful to capture this segment with the new QX50, but results show that it’s a massive flop.
I'm very excited because this demand will both give Acura the cash flow and prompt them to expand the RDX powertrain lineup! There have already been spy shots of the 4G MDX Type-S and I can definitely see that powertrain making its way into the RDX! RDX with 400hp? YES PLEASE!!!
The following 4 users liked this post by RDX10:
acuraada (03-03-2019), Comfy (03-03-2019), Stew4HD (03-04-2019), Tony Pac (03-03-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 01:16 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Did you say, MDX TypeS?

Last edited by Midnight Mystery; 03-03-2019 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Bite me.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
Did you say, MDX TypeS?
Yessir! Search it on google! It has QUAD EXHAUSTS!!!!!!
Old 03-03-2019, 01:29 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by rdx10
yessir! Search it on google! It has quad exhausts!!!!!!

Last edited by Midnight Mystery; 03-03-2019 at 01:31 AM. Reason: :D is changing to :d on it's own.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:20 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
I'm very excited because this demand will both give Acura the cash flow and prompt them to expand the RDX powertrain lineup! There have already been spy shots of the 4G MDX Type-S and I can definitely see that powertrain making its way into the RDX! RDX with 400hp? YES PLEASE!!!
can’t wait to see each Acura vehicle with at least 2 engines.

New York auto show is in a month and so...excited to see what Acura will offer 🙌🏽
Old 03-03-2019, 09:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts

New York auto show is in a month and so...excited to see what Acura will offer 🙌🏽
I'm calling RDX Sports Hybrid for 2020. If the premium is $1500 like the MDX, it maybe well worth it.

Type S will probably follow if MDX's roadmap is any indication.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
RDX won’t stop!

The QX50 is ugly. Japanese car makers have a terrible habit of drastic design changes from one generation to the next. All of the current Lexus line up is ugly. Infiniti looks odd. Acura is coming out of the doldrums now. Each generation should have slight design change. Nothing drastic. Audi/MB/Volvo/BMW have slight design changes that modernizes the car to keep it current but they are unmistakable as to what they are.

The look of a car especially in the luxury or near luxury segment is very important. I think Acura learned that the hard way with their sedans. The TL took a nose dive with the hideous 2009 TL redesign. The TLX was better but not as good as competitors. The RL then RLX has been in the toilet for sales ever since it changed from the Legend.

The RDX is one of the best looking compact premium SUVs out there that is why it is selling so well. The MDX has always been a decent looking mid sized SUV so generally sold well.
The following users liked this post:
Comfy (03-03-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 10:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by JAB00
...All of the current Lexus line up is ugly...
I disagree - they don't look that good, they are w-a-a-a-y beyond ugly.
Comfy (03-03-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 11:15 AM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
I happen to like most of the Lexus F-Sport models. Prior to that their models were very boring. Looks are subjective and I don’t think they are as important as you think. If Lexus were really that ugly then sales would plummet. When in fact they they sell quite well.

The RDX looks good but it’s a brand new redesign. New models typically see a big jump. Crossovers are very popular right now and the RDX is also cheaper than most of the others in the Luxury segment. Especially Audi.

I guess what I’m trying to say is looks aren’t everything ...
Old 03-03-2019, 11:42 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
The Lexus RX which is apparently the best seller, has huge overhangs in front and rear (which is worse in the RX-L). The RX while it grew in dimensions, I think the wheelbase didn't keep pace with the growth. To me the entire car looks mismatched structurally and design wise, lets not talk about the grill. And I've driven my friend's new RX, it isn't very soft and smooth as everyone says it to be. The car simply felt very lightweight, all potholes felt the same as in any other car (my 2G RDX actually rides better than that), the engine isn't particularly quiet either, the inside materials and ambience are good though. The car is selling based on its reputation for reliability (and blind customers...).
Old 03-04-2019, 12:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by JAB00
The QX50 is ugly. Japanese car makers have a terrible habit of drastic design changes from one generation to the next. All of the current Lexus line up is ugly. Infiniti looks odd. Acura is coming out of the doldrums now. Each generation should have slight design change. Nothing drastic. Audi/MB/Volvo/BMW have slight design changes that modernizes the car to keep it current but they are unmistakable as to what they are.

The look of a car especially in the luxury or near luxury segment is very important. I think Acura learned that the hard way with their sedans. The TL took a nose dive with the hideous 2009 TL redesign. The TLX was better but not as good as competitors. The RL then RLX has been in the toilet for sales ever since it changed from the Legend.

The RDX is one of the best looking compact premium SUVs out there that is why it is selling so well. The MDX has always been a decent looking mid sized SUV so generally sold well.
FYI Lexus just sold 700k cars worldwide. Most seem to like the new design.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:14 AM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by Vossen Wheels
Or they just don't care. Anyway, there's no accounting for "taste".

Personally, I think the current Lexus front end is hideous.

And because morons rule the earth, and morons demand consistency, all current Lexus models must have the same hideous front end.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
lexus has a strong brand reputation so they have steady sales. Acura and Infiniti took a hit. If hyundai and other Korean brands continue to improve on their near luxury trim Lexus will begin to hurt like Infiniti and Acura did if Lexus continues to put out ugly cars.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
IMO, some people go for the perceived "prestige" of a Lexus. Leasing allows many to get into that vehicle that otherwise couldn't afford it.. hell, many can't afford it but do it anyway.

I know many Lexus owners, many think their shit doesn't stink.

I am not knocking Lexus, by the way. They make fine vehicles but sure are ugly to my eyes.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Some clearly like the aggressive look, but I contend that many simply tolerate it. My neighbor, for example, treats herself to a new Lexus about every 3 years. I asked her how she was enjoying her new RX. She commented that it was better than her previous RX in every way, except that it's ugly as sin. She said she doesn't care how it looks as long as they continue offering the cushy ride and stalwart reliability. She likes my MKX a lot, but she would never roll the dice on reliability, so a test drive wasn't even considered. She is a Lexus owner for life.

Few brands have such a devoted customer base. Problem is, the polarizing styling is also hindering potential conquest sales. For some of us, looks do matter. If Lexus were to combine their reputation with truly elegant styling befitting a luxury brand, they could dominate the market.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HotRodW
...For some of us, looks do matter...
That's very true but there are many degrees of 'matter'. Some will buy a vehicle just because it looks good while in my case I won't even consider one once it hits an 'ugly threshold' - which is subjective on my part - anything above that line will be OK. If all else were equal (which it seldom is except for color choice) I would buy the better looking vehicle.
JB in AZ (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 09:21 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
...I won't even consider one once it hits an 'ugly threshold' - which is subjective on my part - anything above that line will be OK. If all else were equal (which it seldom is except for color choice) I would buy the better looking vehicle.
I could have written this!

(I also could have written that looks don't matter, but I would be lying)
Old 03-04-2019, 09:27 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I traded a Lexus NX F-Sport that had ZERO issues in 3.5 years of ownership. Their reputation for reliability is real. But I wanted something that looked nicer, drove better, and had more space so I got an RDX. Hopefully more updates and newer builds resolve the infotainment issues because the RDX is better than the Lexus in every other way.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Njbrandon
I traded a Lexus NX F-Sport that had ZERO issues in 3.5 years of ownership. Their reputation for reliability is real....
I have to agree with that. Over the years I've owned 6 different Toyota products (3 Celicas and 3 Highlanders) with no reliability issues with any of them.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:38 AM
~HondaF1~

Received 107 Likes on 86 Posts
Yessir! Search it on google! It has QUAD EXHAUSTS!!!!!!
Oh yea, it's sick!

...and did you see the interior?!
Old 03-04-2019, 10:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Well ya . Maybe people who value looks over reliability will choose Lexus. RX is popular with certain demographic, maybe they care more about getting from point A to point B with kids and gears while looking somewhat dignified.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:15 AM
Suzuka Master

I strongly doubt we'll see anything at the NY auto show except maybe a sport hybrid RDX. MDX is still too early in development. But I hope I'm wrong!

Some clearly like the aggressive look, but I contend that many simply tolerate it. My neighbor, for example, treats herself to a new Lexus about every 3 years. I asked her how she was enjoying her new RX. She commented that it was better than her previous RX in every way, except that it's ugly as sin. She said she doesn't care how it looks as long as they continue offering the cushy ride and stalwart reliability. She likes my MKX a lot, but she would never roll the dice on reliability, so a test drive wasn't even considered. She is a Lexus owner for life.

Few brands have such a devoted customer base. Problem is, the polarizing styling is also hindering potential conquest sales. For some of us, looks do matter. If Lexus were to combine their reputation with truly elegant styling befitting a luxury brand, they could dominate the market.
Yup, IMO people buy Lexus vehicles because of brand recognition and reliability. Looks is not really on their priorities list. I know of a multi-millionaire real estate investor who dumped her X5 and now exclusively drives Lexus models because she got sick of always needing to take it in for repairs even though they were warrantied, it was a time thing for her not at all money.

I do think they need to seriously consider drastically changing up that disgusting exterior design in order to attract more buyers. Lexus is in that strange place where they are considered at the same level as BMW and Mercedes and yet they don't seem interested in stealing some of those buyers. If they managed to come out with an attractive new design theme they would make an absolute KILLING in the luxury space.

Originally Posted by RJPoseidon 6
Oh yea, it's sick!

...and did you see the interior?!
YES IT'S GORGEOUS! I can't wait to see it fully uncovered! It's going to be so cool!!!

Originally Posted by acuraada
Well ya . Maybe people who value looks over reliability will choose Lexus. RX is popular with certain demographic, maybe they care more about getting from point A to point B with kids and gears while looking somewhat dignified.
I think you mean value reliability over looks haha. Oh and totally agree. If they really cared about looking good or having something that handles really well, they wouldn't be looking at Lexus.

What is most exciting to me is that this RDX is the first Acura to have pretty much Lexus levels of quality but Audi levels of handling and fun and it isn't even one of their nicer models. Like the next generation MDX and TLX are going to be bonkers!
Stew4HD (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 11:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,415 Likes on 1,867 Posts
I do think they need to seriously consider drastically changing up that disgusting exterior design in order to attract more buyers. Lexus is in that strange place where they are considered at the same level as BMW and Mercedes and yet they don't seem interested in stealing some of those buyers. If they managed to come out with an attractive new design theme they would make an absolute KILLING in the luxury space.
Per Lexus's GM, their play is to attract new (younger) customers while retaining the existing (older) customers. Doesn't seem like they're bothering with conquest sales since that represents a diminishing market while new customers represent a growing market.
Lexus Fielded Complaints From Longtime Owners Over Spindle Grille - The Drive
Old 03-04-2019, 12:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Yup, IMO people buy Lexus vehicles because of brand recognition and reliability. Looks is not really on their priorities list. I know of a multi-millionaire real estate investor who dumped her X5 and now exclusively drives Lexus models because she got sick of always needing to take it in for repairs even though they were warrantied, it was a time thing for her not at all money.

Can you imagine the showroom traffic if the Lexus utilities looked like Range Rovers? A Velar, for example, with Lexus reliability and dealer experience? It appears Lincoln is finally getting it. I predict the Aviator will be a smash hit, and Lincoln is a far cry from Lexus in terms of reputation.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Per Lexus's GM, their play is to attract new (younger) customers while retaining the existing (older) customers. Doesn't seem like they're bothering with conquest sales since that represents a diminishing market while new customers represent a growing market.
Continuing down a destructive path in hopes to lower the median age of your customer is a risky endeavor. The smart play is to keep the existing customers, while finding a way to appeal to a younger audience as well. Mercedes, BMW and Audi have all managed to do that without offensive, vomit-inducing styling. And look at Volvo ... Their target demographic has changed dramatically in the last few years, and they might have the least controversial styling in the industry.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:23 PM
Burning Brakes

...I predict the Aviator will be a smash hit, and Lincoln is a far cry from Lexus in terms of reputation.
Interesting observation given Lincoln has a strong feeling of 1930's art-deco in all it's styling cues. That's something that, for the most part, will only attract a relatively small new fan base. It won't drive the loyalists away but I don't see it stealing a lot from other brands.

Last edited by MI-RDX; 03-04-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Interesting observation since Lincoln has a strong feeling of 1930's art-deco in all it's styling cues. That's something that, for the most part, will only attract a relatively small new fan base. It won't drive the loyalists away but I don't see it stealing a lot from other brands.
Unlike vehicles like the RX/RX-L, there is very little to criticize. (Personally, I don't like the push-button shifter, but it's still better than some of the other gimmicky designs on the market.) It's attractive inside and out, it's built on an all new RWD platform with a very potent base engine, and there's going to be an even more potent plug-in hybrid option, and Sync has evolved into one of the most agreeable systems available. Plus, Lincoln dealerships have improved dramatically in recent years. If Lincoln doesn't botch the launch, you will see Aviators driven by people that wouldn't be caught dead in a Lincoln just a year or two ago -- including some of those disgruntled Lexus owners.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,415 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Unlike vehicles like the RX/RX-L, there is very little to criticize. (Personally, I don't like the push-button shifter, but it's still better than some of the other gimmicky designs on the market.) It's attractive inside and out, it's built on an all new RWD platform with a very potent base engine, and there's going to be an even more potent plug-in hybrid option, and Sync has evolved into one of the most agreeable systems available. Plus, Lincoln dealerships have improved dramatically in recent years. If Lincoln doesn't botch the launch, you will see Aviators driven by people that wouldn't be caught dead in a Lincoln just a year or two ago -- including some of those disgruntled Lexus owners.
I suspect that may be optimistic. I doubt many people who are looking at Lexus because they want reliability (and let's be honest, that and value are the main value props Lexus has over the Germans) will consider a Ford product.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:36 PM
Burning Brakes

I suspect that may be optimistic. I doubt many people who are looking at Lexus because they want reliability (and let's be honest, that and value are the main value props Lexus has over the Germans) will consider a Ford product.
I'm not talking about the people who buy a Lexus for the reliability. Those are the ones who aren't going anywhere any under circumstance. I'm talking about the people who in the past bought a Lexus, or Volvo, or Cadillac, or any other car for the product and/or the experience. Some of us don't care about the badge, we just look for the best car/situation for our particular needs. If it performs on the road as it performs on paper, the Aviator will find plenty of customers on merit, as it should be.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:54 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
The body on the Lexus is OK, but that face is hideous.

You can't put a bag over that face and ride it anyway.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:16 PM
Suzuka Master

I understand that totally. They were always known as boring so in attempts to attract younger buyers and come off as sporty they are being highly polarizing because being crazy and out there in styling somehow equates to a funner ride. Their problem is the crazy knob got broken. Rather than going from a 0 to a 2 they went from 0 to 10!!!

Look at the European brands, super super understated and yet they are incredibly attractive and age phenomenally well. Lexus has good engine too. All they need to do is tone it down and they would do amazingly well in both attracting younger buyers and keeping their older ones.

Can you imagine the showroom traffic if the Lexus utilities looked like Range Rovers? A Velar, for example, with Lexus reliability and dealer experience? It appears Lincoln is finally getting it. I predict the Aviator will be a smash hit, and Lincoln is a far cry from Lexus in terms of reputation.
The show room traffic would be literally insane. IMO that's all Lexus is missing. If they could get the styling on point (hire German designers) it would be like a total conquest.

IMO the most attractive Lexus ever is the 2007-2009 LS. Just makes me stop and stare everytime. Yes it's very understated but man does it have a presence and just exudes polish and class. Even the facelifted 2009-2012 model is incredibly attractive. Now they just have horrendous overhangs and gaping catfish grilles.

Continuing down a destructive path in hopes to lower the median age of your customer is a risky endeavor. The smart play is to keep the existing customers, while finding a way to appeal to a younger audience as well. Mercedes, BMW and Audi have all managed to do that without offensive, vomit-inducing styling. And look at Volvo ... Their target demographic has changed dramatically in the last few years, and they might have the least controversial styling in the industry.
I don't think Lexus would even be affected by this honestly. As I was mentioning above, the average Lexus buyer really doesn't care about looks so it won't hurt current buyers. However what they are doing isn't really helping attract newer or younger buyers either.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:29 PM
Burning Brakes

...Now they just have horrendous overhangs and gaping catfish grilles...
Reminds me of a picture I saw on another forum.

The following 4 users liked this post by MI-RDX:
B25Nut (03-04-2019), GW208 (03-04-2019), SandwichViking (03-04-2019), Wander (03-06-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 04:10 PM
~HondaF1~

Received 107 Likes on 86 Posts
Ha!

I'll never unsee that.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Reminds me of a picture I saw on another forum.

Lol the similarities are actually kind of scary.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:31 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
This thread has evolved into something hilarious!

I was actually cross-shopping the Lexus NX vs. the RDX at some point. I had a deal that made the NX cheaper than the RDX with Tech, even when it was optioned with the 360 camera among other things, almost like an RDX advanced.

Still couldn't bring myself to get the NX.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:36 AM
Burning Brakes

That's pic is funny as hell. Ya I am in the same camp and that's why j am here, not Lexus forum. Many of my friends who has a Lexus swears by them on reliability and I believe them. I just can't get over how ugly the front designs are... Dubbed the iron skirt.

I wish they will move on from this design language. Look at Mazda! Mazda proves you don't need German design team to make beautiful cars.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:15 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by al28
This thread has evolved into something hilarious!

I was actually cross-shopping the Lexus NX vs. the RDX at some point. I had a deal that made the NX cheaper than the RDX with Tech, even when it was optioned with the 360 camera among other things, almost like an RDX advanced.

Still couldn't bring myself to get the NX.
The 2 issues I had with the NX were the awd torque steer and the infotainment touch pad. Fit and finish were excellent.

Quick Reply: RDX outsells Q5 for first time in February 2019