RDX dilemma: Does the MDX become the better buy?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 05:51 AM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RDX dilemma: Does the MDX become the better buy?!

New member. Great forum.
Like lots of people, I'm obsessing over the 2019 RDX and cross shopping it with other small to midsize SUVs. It is seeming the price to value content leader...
but -- I'm wondering if the strongest competitor becomes the MDX?!
I've messed around with the configurators and a similar spec'd (tech plus advance) MDX is about $9,000 more but you can get decent discounts on the MDX. So the price difference becomes a lot smaller.
Plus you get more space, proven platform, etc.
Wondering if others are having this internal debate or if I'm missing other ways the RDX trumps the MDX.
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:44 AM
Racer

Received 222 Likes on 141 Posts
The MDX is of course a larger vehicle and some may not want to go that route. However I have an MDX Hybrid and I would highly recommend a test drive of that model if considering an MDX. At only $1,500 more than a gasoline version it is a steal and a very sporty performance drive.
The following users liked this post:
acuranj18 (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 07:45 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
I’ve been having the exact same thoughts. MDX Tech awd can be had for around $46k which is only a couple grand more than the RDX awd tech. More room, V6 and most bugs worked out is tempting.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:30 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
The MDX and RDX are well matched in mpgs, tech, and performance with the slight nod to the +19 RDX because of it being newer compared to +5 year old tech with the MDX. I'm expanding my search to new MDXs, used MDXs (mostly sh-sh-awd), and 19 RDX. Even a used 17/18 MDX might be more reliable and have less issue for +100,000 miles compared to the all new 19 RDX. A test drive of the 19 RDX for handling, mpgs, performance, road noise, and comfort (6'3", 270lbs, size 14 shoe) are top of my list. Some of things I love about have my current 11 MDX compared to 08 RDX are SPACE for 4 adult for long hauls, using my 4 bike hitch mount bike rack, Use my StowAway2 Max cargo carrier, better hwy mpgs, way less road noise, and super comfy.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:43 AM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
When is the 4G MDX supposed to come out? The new RDX is pretty much the template of what will go into a new MDX.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:49 AM
NJT

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I thnk this is an interesting question. I have a 2010 MDX right now and love it which is why I have kept it so long. It's a great ride but the city MPG is not great. I don't necessarily need the 3rd row which is why I have been excited about the new RDX, but I would really love to see a Sports-Hybrid RDX like the MDX has. If Acura can do this in the next year or so I will opt for the RDX Sports Hybrid (which I assume could be the V6 twin turbo Type S). I also am eager to see what the new MDX redesign looks like. My guess is that the new MDX will also grow a couple of inches and we may see the CDX deput in the US at some point to have 3 CUVs of different sizes and for different buyers.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:52 AM
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
I love my 2014 MDX and for a five year old vehicle it's great, however personally I would not buy a 2018 MDX as it essentially has the same technology (minus CarPlay) and interior design which puts it behind today's curve.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:37 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by MrJames
When is the 4G MDX supposed to come out? The new RDX is pretty much the template of what will go into a new MDX.
My SWAG would be 2020 at the earliest as an 2021 model for the all new MDX. Acura has been pushing 6-7 years so far for the MDX model runs.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:05 PM
NJT

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
My SWAG would be 2020 at the earliest as an 2021 model for the all new MDX. Acura has been pushing 6-7 years so far for the MDX model runs.
The first gen MDX lasted 6 years, the 2nd gen lasted 7 years. If Acura moves back to 6 years, that means that 2020 would be the first year for the new generation and that model should debut early 2019 at an auto show. Acura would be smart to shorten its product cycles especially with a large volume product like the MDX.
Curious3GTL (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 03:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
The MDX and RDX are well matched in mpgs, tech, and performance with the slight nod to the +19 RDX because of it being newer compared to +5 year old tech with the MDX. I'm expanding my search to new MDXs, used MDXs (mostly sh-sh-awd), and 19 RDX. Even a used 17/18 MDX might be more reliable and have less issue for +100,000 miles compared to the all new 19 RDX. A test drive of the 19 RDX for handling, mpgs, performance, road noise, and comfort (6'3", 270lbs, size 14 shoe) are top of my list. Some of things I love about have my current 11 MDX compared to 08 RDX are SPACE for 4 adult for long hauls, using my 4 bike hitch mount bike rack, Use my StowAway2 Max cargo carrier, better hwy mpgs, way less road noise, and super comfy.
Your physical dimensions indicate we may be twins separated at birth, so I am really looking forward to hearing the results of your test drive and impressions in general. Your use of the word SPACE in your post indicates we share the same major concern. When I am going through the purchase process, I generally start the conversation by asking the salesman to show me what he has on the lot in a size 50 Long.

My wife is always confused about my concerns about needing a roomy rear seat because she doesn't have to compress a large frame in the front when the seat needs to move forward an inch or three to make room for the person sitting behind the driver. It doesn't even become clearer for her when I am driving with my nose resting on the windshield, to make sure the the passenger behind me has comfortable legroom. So your your thoughts on the roominess of the rear seat will be greatly appreciated. This is the single deal breaker component for me.

We have a 2013 RDX and a 2014 MDX. The RDX has always felt a little light & bouncy and the MDX has always had much better road presence and ride. Would like to hear your thoughts as to the stability/presence on the road and if they improved it with the wheelbase increase and moving the wheels a couple of inches further apart.

I'll be doing a test drive at some point as well, but I look forward to hearing about your drive.
mrgold35 (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 04:09 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Right now, it's not much of a problem because not everyone wants to drive a "big" car like the MDX and the tech, looks, etc are inferior to the new RDX. The RDX is the "right size" vehicle until you reach maximum tax deductions (or more).

It's going to be a bigger dilemma when the MDX is finally updated around 2020/21 and if they keep the pricing structure relatively the same (as they did with the RDX).

This has always been a problem for the RDX Advance model, as most buyers end up just stepping up to the MDX Base and Tech as a result. After all, the features are relatively the same between the RDX and MDX, but has historically been better implemented in the MDX than the RDX (remember all the "feels too much like a CRV" comments?). Then add the fact that the MDX provides greater utility with its bigger size since many families plan for at least two children and those dual baby travel systems are mighty bulky sometimes. Even the RDX Tech (and now the A-Spec) is somewhat in that border zone. Once the updated MDX comes, dealers will need to essentially apply roughly the same amount of discount from MSRP as they do to the gas MDXes (~$5k off MSRP currently) to keep the pricing reasonable. So, that should bring models like the Tech RDX to mid 30s, A-Spec RDX into the high 30s, and the Advance to the low 40s, which arguably is still MDX base territory. If the base MDX carries the same infotainment with CarPlay/Android Auto capability sans the Acura navi, I suspect many folks will just keep on buying the MDX base over the RDX Tech, A-Spec, and Advance unless they really want some of the features.

And then there's the styling, which some buyers will use as their ultimate decision maker. The current MDX just doesn't look as good as the new RDX to many folks, and then we'll have to see how well they carry out the new design language with the 4th generation MDX.

Oh, and Acura could also just raise the price on the MDX and voila, makes the decision easier, but also will likely take away much of the value proposition that the MDX holds over the competition (internally and externally).

I'm actually a classic case of one of these buyers, first coming to the RDX while cross shopping 5 seat SUVs only to find that the MDX was not much more (especially when considering this on a monthly low APR basis), but found that I liked the way the MDX drove more (quieter, smoother, better refinement). I actually never really planned to use the 3rd row (have only used it twice), but the extra cargo room has been a big plus for me.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Until Acura ditches the lousy 9-speed, the only version of the MDX I would consider is the Sport Hybrid. I adore that drivetrain! I just wish Acura would offer it without three rows of seats.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:16 PM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by James Wilson
The first gen MDX lasted 6 years, the 2nd gen lasted 7 years. If Acura moves back to 6 years, that means that 2020 would be the first year for the new generation and that model should debut early 2019 at an auto show. Acura would be smart to shorten its product cycles especially with a large volume product like the MDX.
No complaints from me if Acura goes back to 6 year cycle for the MDX. I think Acura have their hands full with design, transmission, engine, suspension, and tech development because every Acura is due around the same time in 2020/2021 for a complete makeover like 3rd Gen RDX. I don't know if Acura will go the re-purpose parts/chassis from Honda or almost all new like the RDX. I'm thinking the 3rd Gen RDX and 3rd Gen MDX will continue sell extremely well compared to the Acura sedans for a while. I'm thinking Acura will give the 3rd Gen RDX time to grow in the super crowded CUV field, make 3rd RDX "tweaks" each year, and use that info and apply to the 4th Gen MDX to make it even better. I'm thinking Acura will move to keep the current MDX out to 7 years and offer more sh-sh-awd and A-Spec MDXs to extend the model years IF the 3rd Gen RDX sells are lower than the 2nd Gen RDX.

Last edited by mrgold35; 06-04-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:27 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
No complaints from me if Acura goes back to 6 year cycle for the MDX. I think Acura have their hands full with design, transmission, engine, suspension, and tech development because every Acura is due around the same time in 2020/2021 for a complete makeover like 3rd Gen RDX. I don't know if Acura will go the re-purpose parts/chassis from Honda or almost all new like the RDX. I'm thinking the 3rd Gen RDX and 3rd Gen MDX will continue sell extremely well compared to the Acura sedans for a while. I'm thinking Acura will give the 3rd Gen RDX time to grow in the super crowded CUV field, make 3rd RDX "tweaks" each year, and use that info and apply to the 4th Gen MDX to make it even better. I'm thinking Acura will move to keep the current MDX out to 7 years and offer more sh-sh-awd and A-Spec MDXs to extend the model years IF the 3rd Gen RDX sells are lower than the 2nd Gen RDX.
I have read / been told that Honda and Acura are moving toward shared electronic platforms for their vehicle lines to reduce development time and testing complexity. ( Honda and Acura separately, AFAIK ). I would expect 4th gen MDX to share a lot of electronics in common with 3rd gen RDX. Open question on mechanicals, but I would bet on some differentiation there, especially engine ( turbo V6? ).

I expect price overlap between top trim RDX and lowest trim MDX going forward. Same with RDX or MDX vs Pilot. Space, sportiness, creature comforts / "features". How much ya wanna pay? How much ya wanna park? ( I'm downsizing from a 3rd-gen Pilot, but we also have a 2014 MDX that will assume road trip duty ).
Old 06-04-2018, 10:52 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by markgt
New member. Great forum.
Like lots of people, I'm obsessing over the 2019 RDX and cross shopping it with other small to midsize SUVs. It is seeming the price to value content leader...
but -- I'm wondering if the strongest competitor becomes the MDX?!
I've messed around with the configurators and a similar spec'd (tech plus advance) MDX is about $9,000 more but you can get decent discounts on the MDX. So the price difference becomes a lot smaller.
Plus you get more space, proven platform, etc.
Wondering if others are having this internal debate or if I'm missing other ways the RDX trumps the MDX.
Thanks in advance.
Very true there are better incentives for the MDX since the RDX is brand new BUT I wouldn't say the MDX is a proven platform. The ZF-9 transmission which is in the majority of MDX's simply sucks and IMO is a liability. You do have the option to go with the smoother and more efficient Sport Hybrid but those are $50K

But I am with you, if I had to pick one Acura to have for the next 3 to 8 years it would be the MDX Sport Hybrid. Perfect combo of utility, efficiency, and power
Old 06-11-2018, 08:06 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
In 2013, I had the choice between a 2014 RDX-Tech and 2013 MDX- Tech. I could have had the MDX for less as the new MDX was just coming out. Why did I not do it? I was coming out of a 2010 TL - which had the push button start and touch open system which the MDX did not have and the MDX was a pig on gas and the RDX drove nicer. To me those were deal breakers.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:31 PM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
I would have had both an Acura MDX SHAWD Tech and TLX SHAWD Advance in my garage, but did not for one thing and one thing only: ZF 9 speed.

The ZF killed the car. If Acura put the same 6 speed transmission from the 2014 TL or implemented a new, I would have a TLX SHAWD Advance.

I've had enough loaners and test drives that I will never purchase a vehicle with that transmission.

MDX Sport Hybrid Tech is nice, but they are so sparsely carried, that I've never seen a dealer carry one in a color combo I liked and I refuse to pay MSRP for any vehicle.