RDX Advanced vs BMW X3

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 09:39 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
RDX Advanced vs BMW X3

Has anyone cross shopped vs BMW X3 or prior X3 owner that now has 2019 RDX ? Like the exterior looks of RDX better but interior and driving better in BMW ?
Old 12-02-2018, 12:07 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
I cross shopped it.

when I was in the market, you could not get the driving aids I wanted. You needed two of them, driving aid and driving aid plus (I forget the BMW terminology), in my area, NYC Metro, only one car had plus, and it was over 55K for what amounted to the RDX Tech, without as good a radio, but with HUD.

I thought the BMW drove a bit better, but not much. The nav was way better, since you can zoom in and out, voice commands were better. IIRC it also had folding mirrors. To me, it wasn’t worth the 10K difference. But that was this past summer and I felt that I couldn’t wait to see what the 19s came with, or what ordering would result. Negatives to me were run flats, subscription car play, and the nickle and dime method of options and packages.

FWIW, I had ordered my BMW 535 and was able to pick and choose what I wanted, but that was a fairly long process.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 12-02-2018 at 12:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Madd Dog:
Comfy (12-07-2018), sportsguy (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 12:10 PM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
I've been cross shopping all over the board. RDX, X3 (2.0 and M40i), Q5 (SQ5) and CX-5 (Sig). Between them all I like the SQ5 the best. Almost pulled the trigger, but my wife didn't like that kind of power in an SUV.

Between the 2.0 X3 and the RDX, I would take the RDX. I can not get comfortable driving the X3. The seats are too hard and don't offer much side bolster support (for me). I also don't like the iDrive functionality. Comparably equipped, the BMW is about $10k higher, which makes it a "no brainer".
The following users liked this post:
sportsguy (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 12:14 PM
Drifting

I Drive has a learning curve for sure, but once learned it is a very good system.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:39 PM
2022 MDX Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by sportsguy
Has anyone cross shopped vs BMW X3 or prior X3 owner that now has 2019 RDX ? Like the exterior looks of RDX better but interior and driving better in BMW ?
I drove a 2018 X3 for a month prior to purchasing my RDX Advance.

The X3 drives better - the handling and the gearing are perfect.

After using the Acura Android system for a month I’d also say I prefer the BMW idrive system. The RDX system is slow and buggy.

If budget is primary concern I’d go RDX, otherwise I think the X3 wins.

I had a terrible time ($28k in repairs over 5yrs) with my 2013 X5.....so I basically vowed to change brands....really the only reason I didn’t go with the X3 m40i. I was hoping for better reliability, but not sure that is going to happen.

The following 2 users liked this post by joeliu2003:
Comfy (12-07-2018), sportsguy (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 04:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 870 Likes on 666 Posts
I've sworn off of BMW's indefinitely. So my vote is obvious....though if it was RDX vs Q5....I still have to drive the RDX and see.

Last edited by RDX10; 12-02-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:23 PM
2022 MDX Advanced

Originally Posted by RDX10
I've sworn off of BMW's indefinitely. So my vote is obvious....though if it was RDX vs Q5....I still have to drive the RDX and see.
Hahah I understand that feeling. They took the engine out of my X5 three times in 50,000 miles to fix oil leaks. Now there is a class action lawsuit against them for my year of X5. Crazy.

But man, when they are working well, nothing compares to the driving experience.

If if you are considering an SQ5 - I’d definitely go that route.

The RDX is a great car, but it’s still not on the level of BMW, Audi, Porsche IMO.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:38 PM
Drifting

I had 125K on an 11 year old 535 with no major repairs. But service was expensive, and I was looking at near 5K in up oming service for an 11 year old car, and wanted modern driving aids and conveniences. So I pulled the trigger.

It drove great, and was more comfortable at 130 mph than I was (on the autobahn, European Delivery) and more comfortable at 85 than my wife’s Accord at 65. BMWs drive great, simple as that.
Comfy (12-07-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 06:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 870 Likes on 666 Posts
Originally Posted by joeliu2003
Hahah I understand that feeling. They took the engine out of my X5 three times in 50,000 miles to fix oil leaks. Now there is a class action lawsuit against them for my year of X5. Crazy.

But man, when they are working well, nothing compares to the driving experience.

If if you are considering an SQ5 - I’d definitely go that route.

The RDX is a great car, but it’s still not on the level of BMW, Audi, Porsche IMO.
Yup been in your boat twice with leaking and oil burning issues. Will never ever touch a BMW again in my life. I agree when they work well, they are great but the major caveat is when lol.

I don't think the RDX will ever be on the same level as the Macan or Q5 or X3, reason being the size of the Acura brand. The other brands have so much more R&D money meanwhile Acura doesn't. The other brands have multiple SUV'S meanwhile Acura only has 2 here and they have to play it safe. Also keep in mind the price range of an RDX is 47k to 60ishK CDN meanwhile the Macan can easily top 100k. It's a good all around car but a master of none.

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I had 125K on an 11 year old 535 with no major repairs. But service was expensive, and I was looking at near 5K in up oming service for an 11 year old car, and wanted modern driving aids and conveniences. So I pulled the trigger.

It drove great, and was more comfortable at 130 mph than I was (on the autobahn, European Delivery) and more comfortable at 85 than my wife’s Accord at 65. BMWs drive great, simple as that.
Some people have good luck with BMWs, I've tried them twice and been bitten severely. Will not try again.
Comfy (12-07-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 10:18 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We cross shopped a variety of vehicles: BMW X2 and X3; 2018 Mazda CX-5 (based on low price and junto drive reputation); 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe (based on "great value" reviews), and VW Tiguan (ridiculously low prices available). Would have tried the new Ford Edge ST if there were any around.

X2 and X3 were a tiny bit more fun than the RDX but the X3 was just too expensive and the X2 too cramped. The CX-5 was a nice all-rounder for the money but just not quick enough for me. The Hyundai with the Turbo was sufficiently quick but the interior design was uninspiring. I owned a first gen Tiguan and liked it but the new 2nd gen is just too ponderous.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:46 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm a BMW guy and if money was no object I'd opt for the X3 M40i hands down. But I think the RDX offers a better value proposition against it's true X3 competition, which is a light to moderately optioned X3 xDrive30i.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 294 Posts
Maybe you're talking about older BMWs. The new ones are pretty pedestrian when it comes to driving experience. Their flagship 3 series finished in 7th place out of the 8 cars tested by MT.
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/alfa...60-comparison/

BMW's seats are also the most uncomfortable seats around and the X3 is no exception. Bottomline, anyone buying a BMW nowadays is buying a badge. In every segment there is a better alternative.

If you care about driving experience and are willing to pay a premium (or live with a heavily stripped vehicle), I would pick Macan over X3. If on a budget and are willing to take a chance with reliability, then the Stelvio is probably worth a look.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:36 AM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by JustMe...
I've been cross shopping all over the board. RDX, X3 (2.0 and M40i), Q5 (SQ5) and CX-5 (Sig). Between them all I like the SQ5 the best. Almost pulled the trigger, but my wife didn't like that kind of power in an SUV.

Between the 2.0 X3 and the RDX, I would take the RDX. I can not get comfortable driving the X3. The seats are too hard and don't offer much side bolster support (for me). I also don't like the iDrive functionality. Comparably equipped, the BMW is about $10k higher, which makes it a "no brainer".
I second this. You get nothing more for 10K other than BMW logo.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:36 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I don’t get it why ppl says “The X3 drives better - better handling etc.” Is it really?
Old 12-03-2018, 03:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Yotrek
I don’t get it why ppl says “The X3 drives better - better handling etc.” Is it really?
BMW's engine and transmission is better (more responsive/lively). RDX's steering and suspension is better. IMO, of course.
Comfy (12-07-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 10:25 AM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
i test drove the X3 and the RDX on the same day on the same route, and thought the X3 was better from a driving/handling standpoint. However, from a cost and reliability standpoint, I would probably go with the RDX over the X3.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by cruiserchuck
i test drove the X3 and the RDX on the same day on the same route, and thought the X3 was better from a driving/handling standpoint. However, from a cost and reliability standpoint, I would probably go with the RDX over the X3.
Yes reliability is always concern me, but then if its still under warranty maybe ok..

Old 12-04-2018, 04:09 PM
Drifting

Drive them both on the same day and focus on how they drive. Many people think the X3 drives better. Better enough to overcome everything else? Not to me. The RDX drives very well indeed.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Madd Dog

Drive them both on the same day and focus on how they drive. Many people think the X3 drives better. Better enough to overcome everything else? Not to me. The RDX drives very well indeed.
Exactly I don’t feel like X3 drive and handle better, I drove it too ..
Old 12-04-2018, 08:33 PM
2022 MDX Advanced

RDX is a good car that provides a good driving experience, but after driving a 2018 X3 for a full month prior to purchasing me RDX Advance - I’m certain the X3 driving experience is superior.

Two main aspects:

1. Gearing - the X3 is always in the perfect gear. The RDX has issues with its 10 speed - specifically selecting the right gear when coming out of a turn and shifting into reverse (takes at least 2-3 seconds).

2. Sport modes - the X3 sport mode is more refined. In the RDX in Sport+ the engine is too loud and the power delivery is no where near to as smooth as in the X3. The RDX throttle is jumpy in sport+.

I still bought the RDX, because I swore off BMW due to my previous issues with my X5, but if cost is not your primary concern - go with the X3.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

RDX is a good car that provides a good driving experience, but after driving a 2018 X3 for a full month prior to purchasing me RDX Advance - I’m certain the X3 driving experience is superior.

Two main aspects:

1. Gearing - the X3 is always in the perfect gear. The RDX has issues with its 10 speed - specifically selecting the right gear when coming out of a turn and shifting into reverse (takes at least 2-3 seconds).

2. Sport modes - the X3 sport mode is more refined. In the RDX in Sport+ the engine is too loud and the power delivery is no where near to as smooth as in the X3. The RDX throttle is jumpy in sport+.

I still bought the RDX, because I swore off BMW due to my previous issues with my X5, but if cost is not your primary concern - go with the X3.

There are many aspects to driving experience including engine, transmission, steering (response & feedback), suspension, weight, FWD vs RWD bias, etc. X3 wins in some areas (from my standpoint engine, transmission, chassis) and the RDX wins in others (steering feedback and suspension). BMW's steering is the numbest in the business and their suspensions are weird -- either too hard or very floaty. I had an X3 as a loaner when I serviced my 328i and I wasn't impressed. Given the number of factors, it's pretty subjective as to which car one prefers. BMW has done an awesome marketing job to make folks think their cars are the ultimate driving machine, but since the last generation, even their M cars don't provide the same connected and planted feel as they used to.

There are a few areas where BMW does do better -- their infotainment system seems better thought out and is consistently implemented across all cars. Acura has different systems in different cars and the systems have many weirdnesses. When I am in the middle of a phone call, e.g., I lose my access to the navigation system. The rear camera only works when moving backwards; with BMW it stays on when moving forward at low speed which helps align the car. Also the lines are more precise with the BMW--the guide lines show exactly where the wheels are. And I'm not even a big user of the infotainment.

But if I was going German, I would choose Porsche followed by Audi followed by BMW followed by VW. But before any of those, I would take a good look at the Alfa Stelvio and the Jaguar F-Pace.

I came to RDX for seat comfort, for value, and find the ride more than acceptable. I had read good things about SH-AWD and it doesn't disappoint. On the test drive, I found the engine and transmission OK, and the suspension was good for daily driving. My days of taking curves as fast I could are over (back issues). The car is a bit heavy and the mpg is on the low side, but I knew both of those things going in.
The following 2 users liked this post by anoop:
Comfy (12-07-2018), sportsguy (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 07:33 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by anoop
There are many aspects to driving experience including engine, transmission, steering (response & feedback), suspension, weight, FWD vs RWD bias, etc. X3 wins in some areas (from my standpoint engine, transmission, chassis) and the RDX wins in others (steering feedback and suspension). BMW's steering is the numbest in the business and their suspensions are weird -- either too hard or very floaty. I had an X3 as a loaner when I serviced my 328i and I wasn't impressed. Given the number of factors, it's pretty subjective as to which car one prefers. BMW has done an awesome marketing job to make folks think their cars are the ultimate driving machine, but since the last generation, even their M cars don't provide the same connected and planted feel as they used to.

There are a few areas where BMW does do better -- their infotainment system seems better thought out and is consistently implemented across all cars. Acura has different systems in different cars and the systems have many weirdnesses. When I am in the middle of a phone call, e.g., I lose my access to the navigation system. The rear camera only works when moving backwards; with BMW it stays on when moving forward at low speed which helps align the car. Also the lines are more precise with the BMW--the guide lines show exactly where the wheels are. And I'm not even a big user of the infotainment.

But if I was going German, I would choose Porsche followed by Audi followed by BMW followed by VW. But before any of those, I would take a good look at the Alfa Stelvio and the Jaguar F-Pace.

I came to RDX for seat comfort, for value, and find the ride more than acceptable. I had read good things about SH-AWD and it doesn't disappoint. On the test drive, I found the engine and transmission OK, and the suspension was good for daily driving. My days of taking curves as fast I could are over (back issues). The car is a bit heavy and the mpg is on the low side, but I knew both of those things going in.
There is a setting in the RDX infotainment system that turns on the front camera and surround overhead image when shifting from reverse to drive and stays on until 15mph.
The following 2 users liked this post by Havasubum:
Comfy (12-07-2018), DrWoo (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 09:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Havasubum
There is a setting in the RDX infotainment system that turns on the front camera and surround overhead image when shifting from reverse to drive and stays on until 15mph.
Yes, but not available in my lowly Tech with only the rear camera.