Price creep and cannibalizing MDX

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 09:04 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Price creep and cannibalizing MDX

Hi there,I wanted to get other peoples thoughts. I am looking to get an RDX later this fall as it looks to be an incredible suv. That said let’s all be honest it’s going to be about 45 to 48 grand to drive one of these babies off the lot. Is it only me or other people agreeing that this is MDX territory I know the RDX is a spectacular SUV that is setting the standard but for the same price would you guys take an RDX over an MDX brand new off the lot?
that said let’s all be honest it’s going to be about 45 to 48 grand to drive one of these babies off the lot. Is it only me or other people agreeing that this is MDX territory I know the RDX is a spectacular SUV that is setting the standard but for the same price would you guys take an RDX over an MDX brand new off the lot?
Old 08-26-2018, 09:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
MDX and RDX are different vehicles and not direct competitors. Even if they were the same price I would still opt for a comparably equipped RDX.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:56 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
I don’t entertain those considerations, I look at the car I am interested in, and compare it to my needs and its peers.

I personally have no need for a car as big and heavy as an MDX, even at the same price. I don't think the MDX does anything better on the road, nor is it, IMO, a step up in luxury. It is bigger, and if I needed bigger, I would shop it.

I think the cost differential for similarly equipped models is still significant.

The MDX SH-AWD with Tech package is $52675. The RDX built the same way is $43895. In both cases I chose the Canyon Bronze color as the only add-on to the Tech package, and both include destination.

There is a $9000 price dfferential.

But if you need the size of an MDX, the RDX won’t cut it, and if all you need is the size of the RDX, I see no reason to drive a stripped MDX just to get the price close.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:23 AM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had a 2012 MDX Tech I traded on my 2019 RDX Advance. My wife has a 2014 RDX Tech. The 2019 RDX is the best Acura I've had and this is the fifth I've owned. The size is just right for us. It's bigger than the 2014, but not as big as the MDX. If you really need a third row seat, then the MDX is the way to go in an Acura brand. I was shopping both the 2018 MDX and the 2019 RDX for awhile. I decided if I would buy another MDX it would be the Hybrid mainly because of the 7 speed DCT Transmission. I'm a retired Electrical/Mechanical Engineer and studied the design of the ZF 9-Speed in the MDX. The "Dog Clutches" used in the 9 speed are a game changer for me. I drove several MDX's with the ZF and never liked how it shifted. Always felt the 6 speed in my 2012 was much smoother. If you notice, Honda and Acura have been slowly moving over to the Honda designed 10 speed in new model designs like the RDX. Just my 2 cents!
The following users liked this post:
pgeorg (08-26-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 11:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
A little overlap between models is a good thing, and some degree of cannibalization should be expected. Potential owners test driving both models tells me they're doing it right. Personally, I'd like to see the MDX and RDX a little closer in size. I have no need for the MDX's mandatory third row, but the RDX is borderline too small for my cargo hauling needs. The Honda Passport will likely hit the sweet spot [for me], but I suspect it will be short on luxury features. If I can get the Passport with the MDX's Sport Hybrid powertrain, I will most certainly take a serious look - especially since it doesn't appear to be an American version of the ultra homely UR-V as some have speculated.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:39 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
We have owned several MDXs and several Pilots, and now a 2019 RDX Advance. If you need the space for travel and/or kids, then it's tough to beat the capacity of Pilot. But if you like a sporty ride, better stick with Acura. I don't expect the Passport ( or whatever it's called ) to overlap with RDX in that regard. But it will probably have more capacity than RDX, and might be more adept at towing and hauling outdoorsy stuff. RDX tends more toward "sport" than "utility", IMO.

As for value, the Advance package dilutes the value of RDX, but after years of dealing with the minivan suspension of Pilot, I got sucked in by the active suspension. And the high-grade audio is a definite plus.

Anyway, I don't see having more choices as a bad thing. Horses for courses, as the saying goes. Choose what suits your needs.

As for hybrid drivetrains, my crystal ball is fuzzy on that one, but allegedly a sport-hybrid option for current RDX was killed at the last minute ( or at least put on the back burner ). I'd be pretty surprised to see it pop up in the Honda lineup anytime soon, especially given its current prohibition on towing. That kinda kills the utility.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:35 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People are already getting discounts for the RDX and the base model seems great, so the estimate of 45-48 grand to have one seems off. Seems like some are getting FWD no option cars for 37k plus TTL. Obviously, most will want more options, but it seems like many can get away for less than 45.

I really dislike driving a large car, mainly because it's harder to park and doesn't handle as well. For this reason, imho, the Accord isn't a set up from a Civic and the BMW 5 series isn't a step up from the 3 series, or the 2 series for that matter. If you don't need the extra room, it seems like a step down. Obviously if you do need the space, then you need the bigger car. That being said, it's hard for me to understand needing more room than a golf sportwagen provides (holds 20 carry-on pieces of luggage vs. the MDX's 27 with the seats folded), unless one has 4+ kids, in which case you need the third row. Just another datapoint: Matt Farah prefers the Macan over the Cayenne and had no trouble with 4 adults and ski gear in the Macan (
)

The RDX is a great size and it seems like the RDX/MDX comparison should boil down to one question only, are you going to use the third row on a regular/often basis?
Old 08-27-2018, 12:12 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Once the new MDX launches, it will likely cost more too, once again increasing the price separation between the two models.

That being said, consumers have one of two options right now: go for the smaller, tech filled, brand new SUV, or go for the bigger, less tech, older engine/transmission version of an older SUV. There’s arguments to be made for either option.

I personally find the looks of the MDX to be a bit polarizing. Simply put, I think it’s kind of ugly (I know, opinions are like buttholes- everyone has one). I had an MDX as a loaner car a while back, when the current MDX was much newer... simply put, I was highly disappointed by the interior. I couldn’t believe that was the interior in such an expensive suv. Personally, I like the RDX interior *infinitely* more.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Something you have to remember is that the new RDX is almost the exact same size as the first generation MDX and just to remind you, that one had 8 passenger capability. So don't let the size fool you, it's actually at the larger end of the compact segment and is closer to mid-size really.

To me it is the best car Acura has ever made (maybe even including the NSX) based on the tech and attention to detail. It is BY FAR a nicer vehicle than the current MDX for many reasons (powertrain included). The 2019 MDX is still using navigation and headunit design that looks 15 years old. Material quality is not nearly as nice, neither is design. The implementation of the grille is also offputting for some reason to me.

But to answer your question, I think that there will be some cannabilization but the 2013 RDX was also cannibalizing MDX sales so it is nothing new. The MDX has forever been Acuras number one seller, and guess what? The last gen RDX beat it. The bonus here is that the MDX has historically been a MUCH nicer car than the RDX so expect the 2021 MDX to be Q7 nice.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:01 AM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
1st-gen MDX has a much taller roofline than 2019 RDX, and thus more interior cargo volume and passenger headroom, especially for rear-seat ( 2nd-row ) passengers. ( We still have a 2005 MDX in the stable for kid-car and messy chores ). That's part of what makes it "mid-size" for an SUV, not just the 3rd-row seats ( which hardly ever get used in our vehicles ).The lower roofline of RDX represents a trend through many crossovers, especially the "luxury brands", and this is something to think about in terms of utility.

I agree that the infotainment of our 2014 MDX Tech is hopelessly outdated, and that hasn't changed very much pending the next redesign.

Last edited by Wander; 08-27-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
...but allegedly a sport-hybrid option for current RDX was killed at the last minute ( or at least put on the back burner )...
Having driven both the hybrid and non-hybrid versions of the MDX and much preferring the hybrid that's an option I'd love to see available in the RDX. If it became available in 2020/2021 I'd give it a year to mature and seriously consider it in '21/'22 - all this of course depending on how significant the overall performance between the versions differed.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:51 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Serpico69
Hi there,I wanted to get other peoples thoughts. I am looking to get an RDX later this fall as it looks to be an incredible suv. That said let’s all be honest it’s going to be about 45 to 48 grand to drive one of these babies off the lot. Is it only me or other people agreeing that this is MDX territory I know the RDX is a spectacular SUV that is setting the standard but for the same price would you guys take an RDX over an MDX brand new off the lot?
that said let’s all be honest it’s going to be about 45 to 48 grand to drive one of these babies off the lot. Is it only me or other people agreeing that this is MDX territory I know the RDX is a spectacular SUV that is setting the standard but for the same price would you guys take an RDX over an MDX brand new off the lot?
My wife and I are having those exact discussions - RDX vs. MDX. While different cars to some extent, still two of the best values in "premium" SUVs. The discounts I've seen on MDXs are much greater than those on the RDX. While still different price points, a gap of $4K makes one think. A "leftover" 2018 MDX will have an even greater discount.

Yes, it's an apples v. oranges comparison to some extent, but they do come from the same field.

No need to justify your purchase of an RDX; I respect those decisions. Still, the OP's comments are certainly relevant.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:52 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Something you have to remember is that the new RDX is almost the exact same size as the first generation MDX and just to remind you, that one had 8 passenger capability. So don't let the size fool you, it's actually at the larger end of the compact segment and is closer to mid-size really.
We just replaced a 2001 MDX with a 2018 RDX and won't go to the 2019 RDX because the 2019's cargo space is just too narrow for our usage. The 2001 MDX easily swallowed objects 48" wide, The 2018 RDX starts at 48" near the hatch and narrows a bit near the rear seats. The 2019 RDX on the other hand comes nowhere near these measurements.

I for one can't be fooled into thinking the 2019 RDX compares to the size of the first gen MDX.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
1st-gen MDX has a much taller roofline than 2019 RDX, and thus more interior cargo volume and passenger headroom, especially for rear-seat ( 2nd-row ) passengers. ( We still have a 2005 MDX in the stable for kid-car and messy chores ). That's part of what makes it "mid-size" for an SUV, not just the 3rd-row seats ( which hardly ever get used in our vehicles ).The lower roofline of RDX represents a trend through many crossovers, especially the "luxury brands", and this is something to think about in terms of utility.

I agree that the infotainment of our 2014 MDX Tech is hopelessly outdated, and that hasn't changed very much pending the next redesign.
Originally Posted by MHarnois
We just replaced a 2001 MDX with a 2018 RDX and won't go to the 2019 RDX because the 2019's cargo space is just too narrow for our usage. The 2001 MDX easily swallowed objects 48" wide, The 2018 RDX starts at 48" near the hatch and narrows a bit near the rear seats. The 2019 RDX on the other hand comes nowhere near these measurements.

I for one can't be fooled into thinking the 2019 RDX compares to the size of the first gen MDX.
Just a note, I was talking about external dimensions and not necessarily interior dimensions. The RDX is a couple inches longer than the original MDX but is about 6 inches lower and 3 inches narrower. The original MDX and Pilot were notorious for having very very wide cargo bays, no joke about that. The original RDX was only 180 inches long, this new RDX is nearly a foot longer.

All I was trying to state is that it has grown considerably and many crossovers it's size have a third row (Kia Sorento, Mitsubishi Outlander, Nissan rogue, VW tiguan). Also vehicles are typically categorized into classes based on length (not width or internal volume) and that's why it's practically a midsize crossover and on ththe larger end of compact.

Last edited by RDX10; 08-27-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:49 PM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Call me an old timer, but Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, and Chevrolet had a lot of overlap in the GM lineup as you went top to bottom from Cadillac to Chevrolet back in the day. It served them well for a number of years. There was probably less to differentiate a Buick from an Oldsmobile than today between a MDX and a RDX. If Acura had 5 vehicles in the Crossover - SUV space then I would think that would be a problem.
The following users liked this post:
Master47 (08-27-2018)