AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RDX (2019+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/)
-   -   Premium or Regular Unleaded? (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/premium-regular-unleaded-979323/)

corners 05-05-2019 07:44 PM

Premium or Regular Unleaded?

Which gas do you put in? Is it worth paying the extra 70+ cents for premium, in the short and long term?

JB in AZ 05-05-2019 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by corners (Post 16421902)
Which gas do you put in? Is it worth paying the extra 70+ cents for premium, in the short and long term?

3,750 miles over 3.5 months, never once used premium, even dealer admitted they use regular, as it is only "recommended" not required. I'm averaging 27.2 mpg to date, calculated. No complaints, plenty of power, no pinging.

ceb 05-05-2019 07:57 PM

AFAIK, the car requires premium. That said, many have driven with regular gas without the car blowing up.

The short answer is that if you're not getting detonation (knock) using regular gas on your usual commute then you'll be fine. You'll get a bit reduced power.

ceb 05-05-2019 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by JB in AZ (Post 16421907)
3,750 miles over 3.5 months, never once used premium, even dealer admitted they use regular, as it is only "recommended" not required. I'm averaging 27.2 mpg to date, calculated. No complaints, plenty of power, no pinging.

What does it say on your filler door "required" or "recommended"?

Dealer uses regular because it is cheaper.

JB in AZ 05-05-2019 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by ceb (Post 16421908)
AFAIK, the car requires premium. That said, many have driven with regular gas without the car blowing up.

The short answer is that if you're not getting detonation (knock) using regular gas on your usual commute then you'll be fine. You'll get a bit reduced power.

Here's the label on the gas door ....

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...1adc851ece.jpg

Madd Dog 05-05-2019 08:07 PM

I ran the first 3000 miles on premium, switched to regular, and noticed no difference in fuel economy or on-the-road power.

Premium is ‘recommended’, not required. The same engine and transmission is used in the Accord, and that calls for regular. The Accord’s power is rated lower, so perhaps premium allows a bit more power at the top end with WOT. I did not notice any more power in daily use.

ceb 05-05-2019 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by JB in AZ (Post 16421914)
Here's the label on the gas door ....

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...1adc851ece.jpg

Learn something every day. The 2018's were "required". In that case, running premium will give you very little advantage.

However, if you are in higher altitudes (NM/CO for example) then 85 is "regular" and 89 is "premium". In that case, the 85 is OK as well.

hockeyaddict 05-06-2019 03:29 AM

I've been using regular with no issues.

Some will say that buying a luxury vehicle means you can afford to pay for premium. Yes I can afford it but I dont need the extra hp boost for city driving.

Stew4HD 05-06-2019 06:05 AM

I have run tier 1 regular in mine since day one. I am averaging 25.2 MPG with nearly 13K miles on her. No knocks, no issues.

Madd Dog 05-06-2019 07:14 AM

The RDX makes 272 HP at 6500 RPMs. I never run it at 6500.

flames9 05-06-2019 08:34 AM

Those that state..you bought a $$$ car, use $$$$ gas...total garbage....go by the manual....simple as that....if it has to have $$$ gas it would say REQUIRED......Enjoy the new RDX

DHood 05-06-2019 09:15 AM

The short answer is that you will benefit from Premium in your RDX. Whether you want to pay the additional cost is a personal decision.
Here is the best video explanation that I have found, and is commented on by couple of experts from Car and Driver and is only 5 minutes long.

DavidH

ceb 05-06-2019 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by DHood (Post 16422069)
The short answer is that you will benefit from Premium in your RDX. Whether you want to pay the additional cost is a personal decision.
Here is the best video explanation that I have found, and is commented on by couple of experts from Car and Driver and is only 5 minutes long.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAIT_vn0WSY

DavidH

Horsemnure. Premium will not help a car that is designed for regular. You're just flushing money down the toilet.

zroger73 05-06-2019 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by ceb (Post 16421921)
Learn something every day. The 2018's were "required". In that case, running premium will give you very little advantage.

However, if you are in higher altitudes (NM/CO for example) then 85 is "regular" and 89 is "premium". In that case, the 85 is OK as well.

The NSX is the only Acura model that requires premium. It is recommended in all other models. This has been true for many years.

The NSX requires 91 and recommends 93.
All others require 87 (not 85) and recommend 91.

Meto 05-06-2019 01:38 PM

I run regular Octane 87 and have for nearly 17k miles.. Have never had an issue and I still get great performance and over 24 mpg on average.

Stew4HD 05-06-2019 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by zroger73 (Post 16422222)
The NSX is the only Acura model that requires premium. It is recommended in all other models. This has been true for many years.

The '15 TLX I had required premium

Yotrek 05-06-2019 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by ceb (Post 16422093)
Horsemnure. Premium will not help a car that is designed for regular. You're just flushing money down the toilet.

2019 is design to run or can take advantage on premium..

Madd Dog 05-06-2019 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Yotrek (Post 16422290)
2019 is design to run or can take advantage on premium..

I think that more cars are like that now. With the advanced engine management available, some cars so designed can take advantage of higher octane gas without having regular cause any problems.

I always use top tier gas, and I think that that is very important in DI engines.

markm929 05-06-2019 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Madd Dog (Post 16422319)
I think that more cars are like that now. With the advanced engine management available, some cars so designed can take advantage of higher octane gas without having regular cause any problems.

I always use top tier gas, and I think that that is very important in DI engines.

Can you define "top tier gas"?

losiglow 05-06-2019 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by zroger73 (Post 16422222)

I'm not sure if you're referring to the current lineup, but the 4G TL owners manual and fuel cap states "Premium Fuel Only".

I've said this 100x in the past (with all of the wonderfully insightful fuel-octane threads :rolleyes:): Unless you live in an area where Premium fuel is way more expensive than regular, it's likely not going to cost much more in terms of cost-of-ownership to go with Premium. For example, here in Utah, the stepwise cost from regular to plus to premium is $0.15 each - so $0.30 for premium vs. regular. If you drive 15K miles a year and get 25MPG, you're looking at about 600 gallons a year. That's an extra $180.

$180 is $180, which would be great to save. But IMO, to best protect the engine from potential knock as well as get the most out of the engine, I'd go with premium. But that's just me. If the car were a lease and I was just using it for light duty commuting then regular might be the way to go. But I keep my cars forever and push the engine pretty hard so for me, premium is a no-brainer. It's also tuned for premium so I'm kind of locked in at this point. (I have a TL, not RDX).

Just noticed the OP said $0.70 more for premium :what: That might be a deal killer. That's $420 more per year. That starts to hurt.

Tom_D 05-06-2019 03:46 PM

Top tier™
https://www.toptiergas.com/

Madd Dog 05-06-2019 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tom_D (Post 16422342)

And it doesn’t necessarily cost more either.

ceb 05-06-2019 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Madd Dog (Post 16422358)

Sometime it is cheaper. COSTCO gas in the US is Top Tier

ceb 05-06-2019 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Stew4HD (Post 16422248)

As did the TSX and RL and IIRC, the old RDX

Yotrek 05-06-2019 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Madd Dog (Post 16422319)

Agree with you Madd Dog..

ZipSpeed 05-06-2019 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Stew4HD (Post 16422248)

Recommended. Not required. Taken right from the TLX owner's manual:
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...e2be435be3.jpg

fiatlux 05-06-2019 06:16 PM

Yeah and the manual also says that lower octane gasoline can cause knocking and pre-detonation. I guess if I'm leasing the car that's fine, but if I'm keeping the car for the long run I'd rather not be penny-wise and pound-foolish.

omygod711 05-06-2019 06:20 PM

Test all the octanes and see for yourself, worse case you only wasted a few bucks on a tank of 93.
I felt a increase of responsiveness when I use 93 vs 87, no difference if I just cruise on the highway at steady speed. I use a bit over 20 gallons a week where I am just cruising at steady speed. Personally I am still debating if it is worth the extra cost. Most people here agree that 87 won't break your car, however, I do put in a bottle of fuel injection cleaner every few thousand miles since I don't have "top tier" gas station around. I have been driving this route for over 10 years and mostly going to the same gas station and never had car trouble.

corners 05-06-2019 08:14 PM

If the price difference was $0.15 cents more than premium, then it would be no issue. Here in IL it's normal to see a difference of $1 per gallon on premium. Costco is about $0.60 to $0.70 more per gallon. Looks like I will most likely will be using regular once I get my RDX. In my current maxima, I have used nothing but premium.

NooYawkuh 05-07-2019 06:16 AM

Are we still bothering to say "unleaded"? It's gotta be at least 30 years since I saw leaded gasoline sold anywhere except near race tracks.

mrblase 05-07-2019 07:02 AM

Do you think that the use of regular grade gas, over a period of time, can have anything to do with RDX's that go into limp mode during heavy acceleration? For me I bought a high performance car and for a couple of hundred bucks a year I'm not willing to give up one horsepower or foot pound of torque in the name of economy.

markm929 05-07-2019 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Tom_D (Post 16422342)

Originally Posted by Madd Dog (Post 16422358)

Thanks guys. I have many of the TopTier listed fuel suppliers in my area, however I have never seen signage that advertises/confirms that. Have your fuel stops had signage stating TopTier, or do you just go by the listed fuel suppliers on the TopTier website? Obviously, I have never looked this deeply into fuel beyond just the octane rating.

ceb 05-07-2019 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by markm929 (Post 16422615)
Thanks guys. I have many of the TopTier listed fuel suppliers in my area, however I have never seen signage that advertises/confirms that. Have your fuel stops had signage stating TopTier, or do you just go by the listed fuel suppliers on the TopTier website? Obviously, I have never looked this deeply into fuel beyond just the octane rating.

I dimly remember seeing a mention of Top Tier at a Shell station and I'm sure that other stations mention it as well but it certainly isn't in your face.

Me? While TopTier mostly gives you some guarantee of a standard, I'd rather get gas at a busy non-TopTier station (assuring fresher gas), that at a very slow TopTier station.

For example, neither Sheetz (a MD/VA/PA/OH/WV/NC chain) or Pilot (truck stops) are on the list, but I'd pick either one of those over some little mom-and-pop TopTier station that looks like it gets a customer a month.

Madd Dog 05-07-2019 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by markm929 (Post 16422615)

I go by brand name. I have been using only top tier since my first DI engine in 2007, when there were only a few near me, like Shell. Then Mobil/exxon came on, and a Sinclair replaced a Gulf station, and finally Sunoco signed on. So now, practically every name brand has signed on. Costco is on, but BJs is not.

Too, as recognized above, a busy station is always better, so if your good stations are not top tier, throw in some Techron every few thousand. Keep the fuel system clean.

ardx08 05-07-2019 01:54 PM

As long as youre not using 85 octane you will be fine.

R J Poseidon 6 05-07-2019 04:35 PM

Watch out!

Wawa is 92 instead of 93.

At least in Florida.....

anoop 05-08-2019 01:39 AM

This should be a poll, judging by the responses. I use premium. I don't see a need to go against the recommendation of the manufacturer.

FrankZZR 05-08-2019 09:26 AM

I’ve tested this numerous times myself with premium recommend vehicles, I would suggest others do the same. This way you will not have to rely on what others have experienced. Fill a couple of tanks on premium and then a couple on regular. Track the mpg on both. Make notes on performance or even better, pick a long stretch of road and time your 0-60 or 0 to whatever. Have you experienced and improvement using premium? Great, then ask yourself if the improvement is worth the cost. If there was no improvement then ask yourself why you are paying more for no returns. I know what I have found with my vehicles. I use regular.

JB in AZ 05-08-2019 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by FrankZZR (Post 16423220)
I’ve tested this numerous times myself with premium recommend vehicles, I would suggest others do the same. This way you will not have to rely on what others have experienced. Fill a couple of tanks on premium and then a couple on regular. Track the mpg on both. Make notes on performance or even better, pick a long stretch of road and time your 0-60 or 0 to whatever. Have you experienced and improvement using premium? Great, then ask yourself if the improvement is worth the cost. If there was no improvement then ask yourself why you are paying more for no returns. I know what I have found with my vehicles. I use regular.

Great advice to folks! Thanks! I concur.

It's always fine to get others' opinions, just remember, "trust, but verify". Blindly following other's actions/opinions is never a good idea.

losiglow 05-08-2019 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by omygod711 (Post 16422424)
Test all the octanes and see for yourself, worse case you only wasted a few bucks on a tank of 93.
I felt a increase of responsiveness when I use 93 vs 87, no difference if I just cruise on the highway at steady speed. I use a bit over 20 gallons a week where I am just cruising at steady speed. Personally I am still debating if it is worth the extra cost. Most people here agree that 87 won't break your car, however, I do put in a bottle of fuel injection cleaner every few thousand miles since I don't have "top tier" gas station around. I have been driving this route for over 10 years and mostly going to the same gas station and never had car trouble.

I can't disagree that 87 won't break the car, since Acura says it's "ok". However, keep in mind that knock usually isn't audible to the passenger. According to some mechanics, including Ericthecarguy (on Youtube), on a scale of 1-10, knock as high as a 7 won't be heard by the passenger. That's just his opinion and the scale isn't some official quantitative measurement. But if that's even close to correct, it tells you that potential engine damage or at least increased wear due to knock could be occurring.

Again, that's just a theory and not necessarily substantiated. And if I weren't keeping the car for very long I wouldn't be concerned. But if you're looking to push that RDX to 300K miles, I'd probably consider premium.