Predictions on class leading features of 2019 RDX

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 11:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Predictions on class leading features of 2019 RDX

The official review embargo ends on May 31st at midnight. This is what I predict are the class leading features of the 2019 RDX Elite Aspec (fully loaded). I’m comparing it to the following vehicles: BMW X3, Audi Q5, Mercedes GLC, Lexus NX. I’m not comparing to the German performance versions, that we can do once the RDX V6 Type S comes out.

Acceleration: Class leading 272 HP with 280 ft lb torque. Viewing Redline Reviews acceleration of the RDX, it looks to be the quickest of the compeition. I’m predicting a 0-60 miles/hr or roughly 0-100 km/hr time of 5.7 or 5.8 seconds in Sport+ mode.

Handling: Next-gen Super Handling All Wheel Drive is better than the compeition in all driving conditions. The current generation SH AWD on the MDX is already better than the competition as tested on inclined ice hills.

Infotainment System: The true touchpad is a leap forward in innovative and intuitive design. This will be the easiest to use system with eyes off and the most comprehensive

Sound system: The current ELS is already the best in the segment. The ELS 3D just solidifies its position as the top sound system. There are speakers in the freakin’ ceilng!!

Lighting system: A cluster of standard 7 LED jewel eyes on the front headlights will be brighter and crisper than the mostly halogen or bi-xenon standard headlights on the competition

Pano moonroof: Biggest in the segment and with the most versatile control (you can stop the moonroof cover in any position)

Safety: ACE+ next gen architecture will give this top safety across the board

Interior: Audi used to have the best interior until the 2019 RDX showed up. All authentic materials and very stylish with the most comfortable seats in the segment

Transmission: Segment first 10 speed automatic for the smoothest, quickest and most efficient shifts

Space: Most cabin and cargo space. Flat floor for rear passengers.

Looks: Looks high class: eloquent, luxurious, even a little mean—very unique compared to the cookie cutter competition

Value: Price ranges from around $37000 to around $47000. Will be $8000-15000 less expensive than comparably equiped but inferior and overrated competition. Will be more reliable than the compeition and have greater resale value.

Overall fun factor: This car will be the most fun to drive in the segment, with its awesome roaring engine, aggressive acceleration, and crisp handling.

This vehicle marks an astounding turning point for Acura. Producing a superior vehicle at the top of the segment yet with the lowest price in the segment, only a fool would pass the 2019 RDX for any of the competition. Look for this vehicle to win many Crossover of the Year awards and boost Acura’s profile considerably.
The following 3 users liked this post by rockyboy:
a35tl (05-29-2018), BrooklynJG (05-30-2018), r1ckster (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 12:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyboy
The official review embargo ends on May 31st at midnight. This is what I predict are the class leading features of the 2019 RDX Elite Aspec (fully loaded). I’m comparing it to the following vehicles: BMW X3, Audi Q5, Mercedes GLC, Lexus NX. I’m not comparing to the German performance versions, that we can do once the RDX V6 Type S comes out.

Acceleration: Class leading 272 HP with 280 ft lb torque. Viewing Redline Reviews acceleration of the RDX, it looks to be the quickest of the compeition. I’m predicting a 0-60 miles/hr or roughly 0-100 km/hr time of 5.7 or 5.8 seconds in Sport+ mode.

Handling: Next-gen Super Handling All Wheel Drive is better than the compeition in all driving conditions. The current generation SH AWD on the MDX is already better than the competition as tested on inclined ice hills.

Infotainment System: The true touchpad is a leap forward in innovative and intuitive design. This will be the easiest to use system with eyes off and the most comprehensive

Sound system: The current ELS is already the best in the segment. The ELS 3D just solidifies its position as the top sound system. There are speakers in the freakin’ ceilng!!

Lighting system: A cluster of standard 7 LED jewel eyes on the front headlights will be brighter and crisper than the mostly halogen or bi-xenon standard headlights on the competition

Pano moonroof: Biggest in the segment and with the most versatile control (you can stop the moonroof cover in any position)

Safety: ACE+ next gen architecture will give this top safety across the board

Interior: Audi used to have the best interior until the 2019 RDX showed up. All authentic materials and very stylish with the most comfortable seats in the segment

Transmission: Segment first 10 speed automatic for the smoothest, quickest and most efficient shifts

Space: Most cabin and cargo space. Flat floor for rear passengers.

Looks: Looks high class: eloquent, luxurious, even a little mean—very unique compared to the cookie cutter competition

Value: Price ranges from around $37000 to around $47000. Will be $8000-15000 less expensive than comparably equiped but inferior and overrated competition. Will be more reliable than the compeition and have greater resale value.

Overall fun factor: This car will be the most fun to drive in the segment, with its awesome roaring engine, aggressive acceleration, and crisp handling.

This vehicle marks an astounding turning point for Acura. Producing a superior vehicle at the top of the segment yet with the lowest price in the segment, only a fool would pass the 2019 RDX for any of the competition. Look for this vehicle to win many Crossover of the Year awards and boost Acura’s profile considerably.
Well said. Though there are flaws, the overall positives definitely outshine them in this model!
Old 05-29-2018, 02:27 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by r1ckster
Well said. Though there are flaws, the overall positives definitely outshine them in this model!

Yes, there are flaws. I think he meant to say “elegant”, not “eloquent”.

other than that, looks good to me.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Madd Dog

Yes, there are flaws. I think he meant to say “elegant”, not “eloquent”.

other than that, looks good to me.
No, no I meant eloquent, was referring to the infotainment system with improved navigation and voice-activated commands 👍
Old 05-29-2018, 04:59 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Fanboi-ism at its finest.....

Lets see how it does in comparison tests before we go overboard. As far as features, I noticed a Mitsubishi Outlander in the local Target parking lot yesterday with its power mirrors folded as it sat. I guess they offer that feature on a $20-30k Outlander....
Old 05-29-2018, 05:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Aren't you just a Debbie downer. Hate much?

Do us all a favor and go buy a Mitsubishi
Old 05-29-2018, 05:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
What you fail to realize is that although the Mitsubishi has power folding mirrors, it doesn't have 2/3s of what the new RDX does. But sure, if you're so butthurt about not having folding mirrors, go buy that piece of shit Mitsubishi and tell us how great it is.... because of its mirrors
Old 05-29-2018, 05:29 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TacoBello
What you fail to realize is that although the Mitsubishi has power folding mirrors, it doesn't have 2/3s of what the new RDX does. But sure, if you're so butthurt about not having folding mirrors, go buy that piece of shit Mitsubishi and tell us how great it is.... because of its mirrors

And you completely miss my point Taco. The features being extolled by rockyboy are and have been standard on many other cheaper makes for years. The Tuscon Ultimate I looked at in 2016 had a panoramic roof with retractable shade (just like the new RDX's) but for $33k vs 43k I paid for the RDX Advance. It also had heated rear seats and reclining rear passenger seat backs... I drive a '16 RDX Advance and have driven many other SUV's before and since..... You sure have a fascination with the word "butthurt" don't you? You bring it up a lot....

Last edited by chickdr; 05-29-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:20 PM
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts
All I know is that Friday June 1st is going to be an extremely unproductive day at work for me.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:35 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by jcardona1
All I know is that Friday June 1st is going to be an extremely unproductive day at work for me.

me too.

on the other hand, I’m retired, so.......

It is just a fricken car, with all the compromises and complications that cars have.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:41 PM
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by chickdr
Fanboi-ism at its finest.....

Lets see how it does in comparison tests before we go overboard. As far as features, I noticed a Mitsubishi Outlander in the local Target parking lot yesterday with its power mirrors folded as it sat. I guess they offer that feature on a $20-30k Outlander....
This isn’t fanboy-ism at its finest as it pales in comparison to OP’s finest work.

THIS is fanboy-ism at its finest.
https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...ehicle-936011/
Old 05-29-2018, 07:19 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,582 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by jcardona1
hahaha! So true. I swear I thought the same. I booked my calendar 9-11 “meeting” with external party.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:57 AM
Burning Brakes

And you completely miss my point Taco. The features being extolled by rockyboy are and have been standard on many other cheaper makes for years. The Tuscon Ultimate I looked at in 2016 had a panoramic roof with retractable shade (just like the new RDX's) but for $33k vs 43k I paid for the RDX Advance. It also had heated rear seats and reclining rear passenger seat backs... I drive a '16 RDX Advance and have driven many other SUV's before and since..... You sure have a fascination with the word "butthurt" don't you? You bring it up a lot....
The Canadian 2019 RDX should have powerfolding mirrors just like the 2016-2018’s had. If you look at the price for a fully loaded Tucson, it is quite expensive—pay a little more for the RDX and you get way more overall. Also, the RDX likely uses American steel since it’s manufactured in Ohio.
The Tucson might use Chinese or Russian steel. Canadian, American or Japanese are much higher quality.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:35 PM
Pro

The Canadian 2019 RDX should have powerfolding mirrors just like the 2016-2018’s had. If you look at the price for a fully loaded Tucson, it is quite expensive—pay a little more for the RDX and you get way more overall. Also, the RDX likely uses American steel since it’s manufactured in Ohio.
The Tucson might use Chinese or Russian steel. Canadian, American or Japanese are much higher quality.
What are you smoking man? American steel is better than Asian steel? Nope. And where are you getting your price info? An absolutely loaded to the gills (as in EVERY possible accessory added) Tuscon Limited Ultimate AWD has a $36k MSRP with a suggested "buy" price of $32k on Carsdirect..com (you can't even get a base '18 for that price - never mind the '19). Maybe you are referring to Canadian prices? The Tuscon is built in South Korea which I would much prefer over a US built car (especially after the lousy initial quality my RDX had over its first couple of months- lots of build issues). I would prefer that the RDX be built in Japan.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:18 PM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Feature Creep has made comparing features between cars a mostly futile exercise.

I think the "luxury/non-luxury" difference has become more about execution and performance. I'm guessing that this new RDX is better in basically every performance category than the Tuscon and I'm also guessing that the stereo is better, infotainment is better, it's quieter, materials are better...etc.
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 01:51 PM
Hello World

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog

me too.

on the other hand, I’m retired, so.......

It is just a fricken car, with all the compromises and complications that cars have.
Maybe in 4 years I'll come back to this forum, stumble upon this thread and laugh about it. But for now it's exciting. LOL
Old 05-30-2018, 07:32 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
The new RDX does not offer a power steering wheel adjustment, which Lexus offers in both the NX and the RX. As far as horsepower and acceleration, the SQ5 has a a 3.0 engine with 354 hp. I know the OP excluded performance models from the comparison, but since Acura does not offer a RDX type S, and may not for years, it is hard to say it has class leading hp.

As far as the interior, the Q5's clean, understated look has grown on me. My A4 has basically the same interior, and I really like it. The Q5 also offers a virtual cockpit. I do not believe the RDX offers anything similar.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Comparing the Tucson to the RDX is a joke. The RDX blows it out of the water in virtually every measure both in terms of build quality, materials, and performance.

Further to that, the 2019 RDX is better than each of its 4 Cylinder competitors (BMW X3, Audi Q5, Lexus NX, Mercedes GLC) overall when you compare acceleration, materials, space, technology etc, as a total package the RDX is #1. It is also the most fun vehicle to drive in this segment.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:55 AM
Pro

Comparing the Tucson to the RDX is a joke. The RDX blows it out of the water in virtually every measure both in terms of build quality, materials, and performance.

Further to that, the 2019 RDX is better than each of its 4 Cylinder competitors (BMW X3, Audi Q5, Lexus NX, Mercedes GLC) overall when you compare acceleration, materials, space, technology etc, as a total package the RDX is #1. It is also the most fun vehicle to drive in this segment.
Have you driven one and compared it to the others? Kind of a bold statement "RDX is #1" with little data to prove it.....
Old 05-31-2018, 09:21 AM
Pro

You are missing my point too Rocky. What I am saying is many of the features appearing in the 19 RDX were available in the Tuscon back in 16. They are just now catching up. Of course the RDX is more luxurious than a Tuscon, it better be for the money they are charging. I never said the Tuscon matched the performance either, but I can tell you the 7-sp DSG is much smoother than the 6-sp auto in my RDX....
Old 05-31-2018, 10:09 AM
Burning Brakes

You are missing my point too Rocky. What I am saying is many of the features appearing in the 19 RDX were available in the Tuscon back in 16. They are just now catching up. Of course the RDX is more luxurious than a Tuscon, it better be for the money they are charging. I never said the Tuscon matched the performance either, but I can tell you the 7-sp DSG is much smoother than the 6-sp auto in my RDX....
My brother’s first car, an old used Honda Accord, had a big spoiler in the back that the Tucson does not. It also had a CD player that the 2019 RDX does not, but nobody cares much for CD players now, it’s not a major feature. You can nitpick any little feature of any vehicle and find one feature one vehicle has that another does not. It’s more practical to look at the global picture. Fact is the 2019 RDX offers a plethora of luxury and tech features in a package that is so compelling that it is better than the 4 Cylinder BMW X3, Audi Q5, and Mercedes GLC, these are the RDX’s direct competitors. I’m not even putting the Lexus NX in there because the 2019 RDX is gonna put a nail in the coffin of that poorly designed monstrosity and will eat away at sales of the Lexus RX350 also.

In Canada, a fully loaded 2019 RDX will price $10-15,000 below its German luxury rivals yet is better with better reliability and resale value. Look for the 2019 RDX to win multiple awards and far exceed sales expectations. Yes, the 2019 RDX will be #1, mark my words!

Note: incredibly the base 2019 RDX will be priced similarly to a loaded Hyundai Tucson and a fully loaded 2019 RDX is priced the same as a fully loaded Hyundai Santa Fe. The loaded Tucson is $38,299 Canadian and loaded Santa Fe is $48,399 Canadian. Which would you rather have?? Anyone in their right minds would pick the 2019 RDX over the German luxury rivals, let alone the Hyundai’s.

Last edited by rockyboy; 05-31-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:15 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Did anyone notice that they enlarged the fuel tank? 17.1 us gal. Vs. 16. That and a smidgeon better mpg should increase range a fair amount.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:46 PM
Pro

My brother’s first car, an old used Honda Accord, had a big spoiler in the back that the Tucson does not. It also had a CD player that the 2019 RDX does not, but nobody cares much for CD players now, it’s not a major feature. You can nitpick any little feature of any vehicle and find one feature one vehicle has that another does not. It’s more practical to look at the global picture. Fact is the 2019 RDX offers a plethora of luxury and tech features in a package that is so compelling that it is better than the 4 Cylinder BMW X3, Audi Q5, and Mercedes GLC, these are the RDX’s direct competitors. I’m not even putting the Lexus NX in there because the 2019 RDX is gonna put a nail in the coffin of that poorly designed monstrosity and will eat away at sales of the Lexus RX350 also.

In Canada, a fully loaded 2019 RDX will price $10-15,000 below its German luxury rivals yet is better with better reliability and resale value. Look for the 2019 RDX to win multiple awards and far exceed sales expectations. Yes, the 2019 RDX will be #1, mark my words!

Note: incredibly the base 2019 RDX will be priced similarly to a loaded Hyundai Tucson and a fully loaded 2019 RDX is priced the same as a fully loaded Hyundai Santa Fe. The loaded Tucson is $38,299 Canadian and loaded Santa Fe is $48,399 Canadian. Which would you rather have?? Anyone in their right minds would pick the 2019 RDX over the German luxury rivals, let alone the Hyundai’s.

You are a funny guy rockyboy. Which of the options I talked about the RDX lacking would be considered obsolete? None of them. Things like an adjustable height tailgate are nice to have as I have to keep a foam bumper on my garage door so as not to damage my tailgate on a $44k RDX Advance.... You mentioned the base RDX vs the loaded Tuscon. The base '19 RDX won't even have leather seats. I had a base 18 RDX loaner last week while my 16 was in the shop. I couldn't believe the absolute lack of features it had. Lousy stereo, tiny infotainment screen, no streaming ability. The base '19 will rectify some of this, but it won't have many of the features a loaded Tuscon has. And on top of this, the '19 Tuscon is getting a major LCI with an all new interior design. It actually has Android Auto too. We will have to see how long it takes for Acura to get that working in the RDX.

Last edited by chickdr; 05-31-2018 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:19 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

You also should have mentioned that earlier Accords, like my first one (1984 model), had cassette tape players, and 13 inch steel wheels. The tires for those wheels were only about $50 bucks each at Costco. Additionally, the car handled better due to much lower unsprung weight of those tires/wheels. I also liked the small H on the front of that Accord. The A on the front of the new RDX is about as big as my head, and adds unnecessary weight, although it is sprung.

All joking aside, I would pick the 2019 RDX over the German rivals, and would not even consider a Hyundai.