Possible Images of Next Gen MDX and TLX Found on RDX SystemUI.apk

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 04:51 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by DriverOne
What makes a car a "luxury" or "premium" car is a) it has lots of features and b) it's "well-appointed." Literally, it feels luxurious. Performance is actually irrelevant to a certain degree, although of course nobody is buying a luxury car that looks good and can't drive straight.
It's hard to reconcile Escalade and Navigator with the driveability premise. Or the land yacht sedans of years past. "Prestige" seems to be the sole criterion for some people. And for some it's written off as a business expense, so if it breaks, looks terrible, and is generally worthless after a few years, that's someone else's problem.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:16 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Let's not forgot the dealership experience plays a lot into it ultimately.

But hey aren't those such nice renders of the next gen MDX and TLX?!
Old 07-15-2019, 05:42 PM
Instructor

Received 127 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada
Totally agreed. Acura is sitting on past laurels but the 19 RDX gives me hope
The current TLX, MDX, ILX and RLX were all developed under the previous bean counter administration and management. That administration, management and the Acura business planning office have all be changed/conceived since then and the 2019 RDX is the first Acura to completely fall under the “New Acura”. With that said, product development, engineering and overall execution will only continue to improve substantially over the current crop.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:52 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperHandlingTL
The current TLX, MDX, ILX and RLX were all developed under the previous bean counter administration and management. That administration, management and the Acura business planning office have all be changed/conceived since then and the 2019 RDX is the first Acura to completely fall under the “New Acura”. With that said, product development, engineering and overall execution will only continue to improve substantially over the current crop.
I think design and production decisions are finally being made by American execs instead of running everything by Japan. There was a serious brain drain in Honda/Acura as a lot of engineers based in the US were frustrated (and quitting) since every decision was consolidated in Japan.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Blu2
I think design and production decisions are finally being made by American execs instead of running everything by Japan. There was a serious brain drain in Honda/Acura as a lot of engineers based in the US were frustrated (and quitting) since every decision was consolidated in Japan.
I wouldn’t go that far. Japan still provides the resources to AHM and green lights all projects. However now, they’ve given AHM more resources for product development. However, the Japanese executives and shareholders still don’t completely understand the luxury market. They actually wanted to put the CVT in the current gen TLX 2.4, they don’t understand why Acura needs a turbocharged V6 and they wanted to replace the J-Series entirely with the 2.0t. Fortunately, AHM won these battles.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:02 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
So much fun with all that front wheel drive...
Old 07-15-2019, 10:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kurtatx
So much fun with all that front wheel drive...
FYI, SH-AWD gen 4 will be optional on the 2.0t TLX and standard on all 3.0t Type-S models.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:49 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperHandlingTL
FYI, SH-AWD gen 4 will be optional on the 2.0t TLX and standard on all 3.0t Type-S models.
I’ll believe it when I see it
Old 07-16-2019, 03:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kurtatx
I’ll believe it when I see it

I’m not sure why that’s so hard to believe as the next gen TLX will be in the same segment is competes in now but instead of competing with the 180HP BMW 320I and the 190hp Audi A4 FWD (the current 206hp TLX competes with those car) while the TLX V6 competes with the 255hp BMW 330i, the 252 hp Audi 2.0t Quattro and the 248hp Mercedes C300, it’ll move up a notch in the segment. The 2021 TLX 2.0t will compete with the BMW 330i, Audi A4 2.0t Quattro and the C300 while the TLX Type-S SH-AWD will compete with the BMW M340i, Audi S4 Quattro and the Mercedes C43 AMG. The all new 3.0 turbo V6 has already been confirmed way back in early 2018 by Acura at NAIAS. The base car will get a variation of the 2.0t in the current RDX. It’ll also abandon any relation to the Accord platform as it’ll ride on an all new platform (Acura exclusive) with a return to double wishbones in the front. A few more weeks and you’ll be believing what you see.
The following 2 users liked this post by SuperHandlingTL:
sockr1 (07-16-2019), ZipSpeed (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 03:10 PM
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
I don’t know anyone and have never heard anyone who thought the new RDX is like the Mazda CX-5. The whole car looks entirely different and the sizes aren’t even comparable. I test drove the CX-5 before buying the RDX. Completely different cars and the CX-5 is significantly more cramped than RDX.

People have compared the CX-5 to RDX because they’re in the same class but never the design being similar.
I concur. I drove Mazdas for the past 15 years. As long as ZOOM-ZOOM was in effect. Every Mazda had tight steering and a taut suspension. That has changed.....I, too drove a new CX-5 (we own a 2016 model) and was thoroughly underwhelming. I know they sell like hot cakes, but it was different....the next day I drove and purchased the RDX A-Spec. Night and day to me. I really like just about everything about this RDX, and now that I figured out how to work the Infotainment system without having a very needed system update.

The new MDX looks great!
Old 07-17-2019, 04:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Serious question. Why does every thread like this have to turn into a pissing contest and or a thread about whether or not Acura is a luxury brand. It's been played ad nauseam on this forum for 6 years now.
The following users liked this post:
Gen4MDX (07-26-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 05:59 AM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Serious question. Why does every thread like this have to turn into a pissing contest and or a thread about whether or not Acura is a luxury brand. It's been played ad nauseam on this forum for 6 years now.
It has been like this since my first day here(2003)
Old 07-17-2019, 06:07 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,582 Likes on 952 Posts

I noticed Acurazine has the most members without having an Acura. Here people drive Kia and never owned an Acura but they like to come and justify their Kia purchase by saying Acura isn’t luxurious.

This thread is the perfect example of such

i told everyone that enjoy the pics and wait for the release. I am glad you pointed it out as well.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Good question. I've been a member of a lot of brand forums over the years, and only post-Dieselgate VW forums were more contentious than Acurazine. With Acura positioning itself somewhere between premium, performance, and, luxury, the company's own muddled marketing message invites the debate. With the launch of the RDX they seem to have settled on promoting it as a performance brand. If they stay committed to the same message, and I strongly believe they should, I think they can clear up some of the confusion on their own.

Like any brand forum, the bickering here is exacerbated by owners who are having problems, and let's be honest ... there are more than there should be. There are also a fair number of non-Acura owners, who some feel don't belong here at all. I was invited to leave myself, not because I'm railing against Acura or trolling other posters, but because I have the nerve to be objective about the competition and the industry in general. Then there are the loyalist who defend all things Acura, and twist any comments that aren't pro-Acura completely out of context. For example:

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
I noticed Acurazine has the most members without having an Acura. Here people drive Kia and never owned an Acura but they like to come and justify their Kia purchase by saying Acura isn’t luxurious.
I have a feeling that's a shot at me for suggesting that Kia does not build crap. I don't own a Kia, and I certainly never proclaimed them to be a luxury brand. I have, however, been an Acura owner, and a very satisfied one. But apparently if you don't hate all other brands and refuse to raise your Acura pom-poms at daily roll call, you're considered the enemy. When you have resident fanboys with this overly-defensive attitude, there will be bickering.
ZipSpeed (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 09:18 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by HotRodW
Good question. I've been a member of a lot of brand forums over the years, and only post-Dieselgate VW forums were more contentious than Acurazine. With Acura positioning itself somewhere between premium, performance, and, luxury, the company's own muddled marketing message invites the debate. With the launch of the RDX they seem to have settled on promoting it as a performance brand. If they stay committed to the same message, and I strongly believe they should, I think they can clear up some of the confusion on their own.

Like any brand forum, the bickering here is exacerbated by owners who are having problems, and let's be honest ... there are more than there should be. There are also a fair number of non-Acura owners, who some feel don't belong here at all. I was invited to leave myself, not because I'm railing against Acura or trolling other posters, but because I have the nerve to be objective about the competition and the industry in general. Then there are the loyalist who defend all things Acura, and twist any comments that aren't pro-Acura completely out of context. For example:

I have a feeling that's a shot at me for suggesting that Kia does not build crap. I don't own a Kia, and I certainly never proclaimed them to be a luxury brand. I have, however, been an Acura owner, and a very satisfied one. But apparently if you don't hate all other brands and refuse to raise your Acura pom-poms at daily roll call, you're considered the enemy. When you have resident fanboys with this overly-defensive attitude, there will be bickering.

It's nothing to do with you, brother. I am just seeing and reading all day long.

The new TLX and MDX look amazing, of course, the look is subjective. But people took this conversation completely off and discussing random topics here. Please kindly explain that why?
Old 07-17-2019, 09:22 AM
AZ Community Team

Also, let me give you another solid example:

My colleague purchased a Sante Fe and I congratulated him. I think he did a great purchase and I am happy for him. during lunch, he asked me what's my plan? I was honest and told him, I am most likely going to get a new RDX as my family is growing.

His immediate response was why not a Sante Fe. I said, I like Hondas He started preaching for 30 min and justifying why Kias and Hyundais are better than Acura lol. I swear, my response was okay. Thanks. I don't need to proof to anyone anything. Everyone has their opinion. But I did realized the Korean car owners are very defensive. Can anyone explain why?
Old 07-17-2019, 10:46 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts

My colleague purchased a Sante Fe and I congratulated him. I think he did a great purchase and I am happy for him. during lunch, he asked me what's my plan? I was honest and told him, I am most likely going to get a new RDX as my family is growing.

His immediate response was why not a Sante Fe. I said, I like Hondas He started preaching for 30 min and justifying why Kias and Hyundais are better than Acura lol. I swear, my response was okay. Thanks. I don't need to proof to anyone anything. Everyone has their opinion. But I did realized the Korean car owners are very defensive. Can anyone explain why?

As the driver of two Kias, I can say that Kia/Hyundai owhers stand by their product. They're good cars, but my 2011 Optima has some awkward driving dynamics and the overall driving experience is too Toyota Camry for me.

I perfer a Honda too!
Old 07-17-2019, 11:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by HotRodW

Like any brand forum, the bickering here is exacerbated by owners who are having problems, and let's be honest ... there are more than there should be. There are also a fair number of non-Acura owners, who some feel don't belong here at all. I was invited to leave myself, not because I'm railing against Acura or trolling other posters, but because I have the nerve to be objective about the competition and the industry in general. Then there are the loyalist who defend all things Acura, and twist any comments that aren't pro-Acura completely out of context. For example.
I think this summed it up very well. I agree that as Acura sharpens its' focus, the forum should settle down somewhat and begin accepting the brand for what it is. In fairness to the people, Acura has been producing vanilla soft cars the past few years and advertising them on a racetrack. I can see where and why people would be confused. I just wish people could discuss their opinions without resorting to attacks and silly internet arguments.

Korean car owners are very defensive because the Koreans initially produced absolute SHIT for cars. But ever since the 2006 model year, they've been moving up tremendously year after year. Yet, people still keep calling them trash and bringing up the history. So to those who own Korean cars, it feels lile a constant attack. When I owned my 2012 Sorento SX, I CONSTANTLY had to explain to friends and family why it was a good car and I always found myself telling them about the amazing value and how it was a lot of car for the money....etc. It became exhausting and I just got tired of constantly needing to explain myself.

Like 9 years ago I remember test driving a 2008 Rav4 and consecutively test driving a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited. For the same money as a base i4 rav4 I could buy a range topping V6 Santa fe, and you know what? The Santa fe was WAY better than the Rav4. Putting bells and whistles aside. The NVH was leaps and bounds ahead, seat comfort and interior design were also WAY ahead....etc. But of course I still had to explain why it was a good car. With any other non-korean brand I never had to do that.

I don't know about you guys, but I STILL think this thing looks incredible!
HotRodW (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 12:08 PM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
In my mind, I know that Hyundai is now every bit as "good" and even better in some respects than Honda. In my heart, I wouldn't be as proud to own a Hyundai as I am a Honda. If you dispel one of the seven deadly sins and don't trade it in too early, a Hyundai is a fine choice.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:45 PM
AZ Community Team

Korean car owners are very defensive because the Koreans initially produced absolute SHIT for cars. But ever since the 2006 model year, they've been moving up tremendously year after year. Yet, people still keep calling them trash and bringing up the history. So to those who own Korean cars, it feels lile a constant attack. When I owned my 2012 Sorento SX, I CONSTANTLY had to explain to friends and family why it was a good car and I always found myself telling them about the amazing value and how it was a lot of car for the money....etc. It became exhausting and I just got tired of constantly needing to explain myself.

Like 9 years ago I remember test driving a 2008 Rav4 and consecutively test driving a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited. For the same money as a base i4 rav4 I could buy a range topping V6 Santa fe, and you know what? The Santa fe was WAY better than the Rav4. Putting bells and whistles aside. The NVH was leaps and bounds ahead, seat comfort and interior design were also WAY ahead....etc. But of course I still had to explain why it was a good car. With any other non-korean brand I never had to do that.

Very well said. I have nothing against Korean cars. I believe they make great cars now and their design is fantastic.
When people say why did I pay $35K for a used TL and why didn't I get a C300 for the same price. I don't go and say C300 is shit and this and that. I just believe the maintenance of a C300 is a lot for me and I rather stay with an Acura that will cost me much cheaper to repair even if it breaks.

Back to the topic
Old 07-17-2019, 02:21 PM
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts
Please mods, step in and keep the topic at least somewhat focused on the 2021 MDX/TLX. It's 6 pages of people beating a dead horse of brand comparisons. Why the f*** is there a picture of a kia two posts up?

I'm going to buy this car probably no matter what. It's Honda, bonkers power, and all wheel drive. I like my current Honda, this one should be a home run of improving everything I would improve from my car.
The following 2 users liked this post by dr/owned:
Gen4MDX (07-26-2019), robnalex (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 08:22 AM
mk5
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts
Quick question - is it confirmed that the rendered images are the TLX and not the RLX? I assume the RLX is getting a remodel sooner than the TLX, as it was introduced/released the same year as the MDX.

By the way -- no joke -- the last three stalled out cars getting towed I have seen on my commute home have been Kias and Hyundais.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:44 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by mk5
Quick question - is it confirmed that the rendered images are the TLX and not the RLX? I assume the RLX is getting a remodel sooner than the TLX, as it was introduced/released the same year as the MDX.
The prevailing opinion among car watchers is that the RLX is about to go bye-bye.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:05 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by robnalex
The prevailing opinion among car watchers is that the RLX is about to go bye-bye.
It's probably a liability at this point - just look at the sales! They sold 50 last month. 50! They've sold less than 2,000 per year for the last three years. The TLX sells more in one month than the RLX does in an entire year.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:01 AM
MSZ
Lola

I don't see RLX going anywhere. Remember the RL/RLX has always been a Honda Legend in Japan, designed to be a Nissan Fuga/Toyota Crown competitor. As long as the domestic luxury sedan market still exists in Japan, you will still see it in Acura badge.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:33 AM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by mk5

By the way -- no joke -- the last three stalled out cars getting towed I have seen on my commute home have been Kias and Hyundais.
Probably the TLX. Acura probably wants to get their bread and butter vehicles all redesigned first - RDX, MDX and to a lesser extent, TLX. RLX and ILX sales are woefully LOL so I imagine they won't be getting priority. I do think the RLX isn't going away either, but perhaps it's time to retire the name and bring back Legend nameplate as Internet rumors have suggested.. Maybe that Pebble Beach vehicle that is suppose to debut next month will be the RLX successor. I rather see the TLX Type-S!
The following 2 users liked this post by ZipSpeed:
HotRodW (07-18-2019), RDX10 (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 12:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 522 Likes on 334 Posts
Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
Probably the TLX. Acura probably wants to get their bread and butter vehicles all redesigned first - RDX, MDX and to a lesser extent, TLX. RLX and ILX sales are woefully LOL so I imagine they won't be getting priority. I do think the RLX isn't going away either, but perhaps it's time to retire the name and bring back Legend nameplate as Internet rumors have suggested.. Maybe that Pebble Beach vehicle that is suppose to debut next month will be the RLX successor. I rather see the TLX Type-S!
I have read that next month is supposed to be the new RLX as well, but somehow I just doubt that. I feel like with the recent software finds of the TLX/MDX that next month it has to be the TLX. Not to mention from a sales point the TLX is so much more important than the RLX. I guess we find out soon.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:23 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Curious3GTL
I have read that next month is supposed to be the new RLX as well, but somehow I just doubt that. I feel like with the recent software finds of the TLX/MDX that next month it has to be the TLX. Not to mention from a sales point the TLX is so much more important than the RLX. I guess we find out soon.
The 2020 TLX has already been released and is up on Acura's website. The 2020 RLX and MDX are not. I think there is 0% chance there will be a 2020 refresh of the TLX. At least with the RLX and MDX there is hope. I find it hard to believe Acura wouldn't at least totally redo something this year. Especially given how behind everything is and how far behind it will be in 2021, but we will see.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:31 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by JMC99
The 2020 TLX has already been released and is up on Acura's website. The 2020 RLX and MDX are not. I think there is 0% chance there will be a 2020 refresh of the TLX. At least with the RLX and MDX there is hope. I find it hard to believe Acura wouldn't at least totally redo something this year. Especially given how behind everything is and how far behind it will be in 2021, but we will see.
Honda released the TQI instructions to dealers revealing no changes for the 2020 MDX on July 2.

Honda publicly announced the 2020 MDX with no changes on July 16.

https://acuranews.com/acura-automobi...at-dealerships
Outfitter (07-19-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 03:43 PM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
There will probably be huge discounts on the MDX all year long given no changes and everyone being aware of the update for next year already.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dr/owned
Please mods, step in and keep the topic at least somewhat focused on the 2021 MDX/TLX. It's 6 pages of people beating a dead horse of brand comparisons. Why the f*** is there a picture of a kia two posts up?

I'm going to buy this car probably no matter what. It's Honda, bonkers power, and all wheel drive. I like my current Honda, this one should be a home run of improving everything I would improve from my car.
Sorry who are you again?
Old 07-18-2019, 04:03 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
I think this summed it up very well. I agree that as Acura sharpens its' focus, the forum should settle down somewhat and begin accepting the brand for what it is. In fairness to the people, Acura has been producing vanilla soft cars the past few years and advertising them on a racetrack. I can see where and why people would be confused. I just wish people could discuss their opinions without resorting to attacks and silly internet arguments.

The only thing I have against my current Optima is that the suspension and steering are tuned wrong... It's a first model year run, and I feel the effect if that in small issues, but overall, it's very reliable and doesn't require much maintenance!

Originally Posted by dr/owned

Sorry who are you again?
Old 07-18-2019, 04:12 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zroger73
Honda released the TQI instructions to dealers revealing no changes for the 2020 MDX on July 2.

Honda publicly announced the 2020 MDX with no changes on July 16.

https://acuranews.com/acura-automobi...at-dealerships
I have heard that here prior to the release of the MDX for 2020. I guess that only leaves the RLX?
Old 07-18-2019, 04:53 PM
Suzuka Master

I don't think the RLX is going anywhere either. Rather I can see a change back to the legend name and a total re-design. By total re-design I mean like a ground up complete evolution of the car into something totally different. I don't think they're going to show anything other than the RLX successor at pebble beach.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:56 PM
Pro

Dammit. I just want a Honda e for crying out loud! Please, Honda, take my money!
Old 07-18-2019, 05:07 PM
There are four lights!

I don't think the RLX is going anywhere either. Rather I can see a change back to the legend name and a total re-design. By total re-design I mean like a ground up complete evolution of the car into something totally different. I don't think they're going to show anything other than the RLX successor at pebble beach.
Evolution would be really good actually. Sedan sales are way down, so realistically, the TLX is more than enough to carry sedan sales, since it already does so. I don't see Acura using the Legend name plate for a new SUV, so maybe something like a sportback/fastback/gran coupe? Or maybe something to slot below the NSX?
Old 07-18-2019, 05:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Evolution would be really good actually. Sedan sales are way down, so realistically, the TLX is more than enough to carry sedan sales, since it already does so. I don't see Acura using the Legend name plate for a new SUV, so maybe something like a sportback/fastback/gran coupe? Or maybe something to slot below the NSX?
I think a gran coupe would make sense actually! Didn't acura have a gran coupe concept a few years ago? Iirc it was that deep cherry red color. Or am I thinking of the precision concept. I have also heard of them considering something to slot below the NSX. Possibly some sort of gran coupe with a partial NSX powertrain? If the TLX is getting the 3.0TT, then the next step up would have to build on that I'd think right?
Old 07-18-2019, 05:34 PM
There are four lights!

I think a gran coupe would make sense actually! Didn't acura have a gran coupe concept a few years ago? Iirc it was that deep cherry red color. Or am I thinking of the precision concept. I have also heard of them considering something to slot below the NSX. Possibly some sort of gran coupe with a partial NSX powertrain? If the TLX is getting the 3.0TT, then the next step up would have to build on that I'd think right?
Yeah, a 3.0T with two electric engines would be a very sweet setup. A 450-500hp Acura that could possibly play with M/AMG/RS/F, but more affordable of course! Can a FWD-based drivetrain handle that much power, even with SH-AWD?

Last edited by ZipSpeed; 07-18-2019 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:14 PM
MSZ
Lola

Yeah, a 3.0T with two electric engines would be a very sweet setup. A 450-500hp Acura that could possibly play with M/AMG/RS/F, but more affordable of course! Can a FWD-based drivetrain handle that much power, even with SH-AWD?
Polestar 1 is transverse FWD-based and it has 600hp so we all know it can be done. But the next TLX won't have more than 400hp no matter what, because of how conservative Honda is.
ZipSpeed (07-19-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 10:00 PM
Suzuka Master

I would think they could do ~400hp in the front and 2 electric motors for the back to add up to that number for sure! It's definitely doable and Acura has had a few years to perfect the E-SHAWD tech! It would definitely have to be more affordable though.

Originally Posted by MSZ
Polestar 1 is transverse FWD-based and it has 600hp so we all know it can be done. But the next TLX won't have more than 400hp no matter what, because of how conservative Honda is.
We're talking about the RLX successor getting the 450-500hp in a gran-coupe package (all hypothetical of course). The TLX on the other hand will definitely never surpass 400hp, I definitely agree with you on that.
ZipSpeed (07-19-2019)

Quick Reply: Possible Images of Next Gen MDX and TLX Found on RDX SystemUI.apk