Please help decide with my purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 10:37 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Sounds
Also, how come it doesn't use the right side of the screen?
In the Advance, the right side shows the 360 overhead view, which I love.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Havasubum
I'm not sure how you can say that. The resolution is so poor that a person standing next to his car looked like an inanimate object until he moved when I was backing out of a parking spot. I watched some videos that reviewed the 2019 RDX when it was showcased in Canada last year. The automotive journalist noted that the resolution of the backup camera was not as good as others. My Brand X's are a GMC Yukon and a 2016 Chevy Equinox. The quality of the rear camera image for both are far superior. Moreover, I just saw a a video of the new 2019 Chevy Blazer. In the video the reviewer showed images of the backup camera. It is much clearer than what we have.
....... where are all of the post of people running over things because the resolution is so bad?

Last edited by Stew4HD; 01-10-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 321 Likes on 190 Posts
I do not seem to have low resolution, mine is very clear and I can see small things no problem. Perhaps the cover over the camera sensor for some of you is making it blurry? I’ll get a pic here soon but mine is very clear and I can easily tell what everything is on my screen, I have the A-Spec btw
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 10:59 AM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by DrWoo
In the Advance, the right side shows the 360 overhead view, which I love.
I agree, I just wished that they had displayed the overhead view on the smaller screen on the right instead of displaying a stupid camera icon.

The cameras' resolution is adequate, it's not HD, but it's adequate.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:03 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
....... where are all of the post of people running over things because the resolution is so bad?
When presented with facts and reviews, You are welcome to counter with facts, not hyperbole.

Last edited by Havasubum; 01-10-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:13 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by bluntman72
I agree, I just wished that they had displayed the overhead view on the smaller screen on the right instead of displaying a stupid camera icon.
Exactly. What's up with that, it really bothers me. Total waste to not utilize the entire width of the screen.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:15 AM
Burning Brakes

So it looks like the issue is mainly with the advanced model? My aspec shows it more full screen and the resolution is pretty good, I will say that image of the advanced back up cam looks pretty bad

Old 01-10-2019, 11:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JustMe...
I did quite a bit of cross-shopping recently, but in the end we decided the CX-5 Signature was best for our current needs. The vehicle was for my wife, so she had the majority input as to the final decision. For me, it was a decent compromise. We have about the same power as the RDX, so I'm happy, and a much lower price, so she's happy. She also had a hard time getting used to the new style shifter. When I go to replace my Lexus, the RDX will again be on the radar.

A huge pro for the RDX vs. the closer competition (Q5, X3, XC40/60 etc...) include better retained value. In particular, similarly equipped X3's and Q5's to the Advance RDX cost about $10k more. After 5 years, the RDX has more value. That was eye opening and made me realize why those two vehicles are so heavily leased vs. purchased.

I do not like the styling trends Toyota/Lexus has taken recently, so I never even considered them.
can’t really go wrong with Mazda, most of there cars are built in japan and are good quality for the money, some of them have some goody designs but the CX-5 looks pretty good
Old 01-10-2019, 12:06 PM
Suzuka Master

When presented with facts and reviews, You are welcome to counter with facts, not hyperbole.
WTF? Dude, you really need a new hobby.. sitting here being disgruntled isn't a good way to spend your time
The following users liked this post:
securityguy (01-12-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 12:20 PM
Instructor

Thanks Fanboy
Old 01-10-2019, 02:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 646 Likes on 348 Posts
Thanks Fanboy
oooohhh you a fanboy!
Old 01-10-2019, 03:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts

This picture makes it look worse than it actually is. If you look at the entire image you can see that it's all a bit blurry, not just the screen.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by GhostTL09
oooohhh you a fanboy!
Too funny... some things never change..calling someone fanboy has been over used and not very effective now

Last edited by Stew4HD; 01-10-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:05 AM
Instructor

Interesting that your brand x comment was meant to offend those who are not happy with their infotainment system. If you're happy with yours great. However, when you put down those that aren't you will get flack.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:38 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts

Rockyboi, is that you?
Old 01-11-2019, 02:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
Rockyboi, is that you?
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!?! Don't you know you're not supposed to utter that name?! Shaking my head...once you've conjured the one whose name I won't say, you cannot put it back in the box.

oy.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:30 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Atleast I didn't tag him

RDX owners at their best!
Old 01-11-2019, 12:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by sxk101

Great list - Thanks a lot ��

I listed issues and concerns you should look out for since I assume one already like enough about the RDX to know about it's pros.
But here are few more thing I think you should look for that are enjoyable during your Saturday's test drive.
  1. Ride and handling. The SH-AWD is no joke. Please take the test drive to a highway and find a really curvy entrance/exit, you will thank me later. I'm speaking from experience of owning xDrive and 4matic vehicles.
  2. Sound systems. Only system that's came close to the level was GLC's Burmester. But that's with just mp3s. I suspect if I play flac with true surround, ELS will be significantly better.
  3. Backseats space, one of the best thing about the vehicle is the near flat middle seat floor. The under cargo storage space is also handy.
  4. Seats, wonderful seats. check out ventilated functions, hopefully your dealership lets you take it for a extend period of time.
Enjoy, and hopefully you have arranged other test drives on the same day, really makes a difference.

Last edited by acuraada; 01-11-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:04 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada
I listed issues and concerns you should look out for since I assume one already like enough about the RDX to know about it's pros.
But here are few more thing I think you should look for that are enjoyable during your Saturday's test drive.
  1. Ride and handling. The SH-AWD is no joke. Please take the test drive to a highway and find a really curvy entrance/exit, you will thank me later. I'm speaking from experience of owning xDrive and 4matic vehicles.
  2. Sound systems. Only system that's came close to the level was GLC's Burmester. But that's with just mp3s. I suspect if I play flac with true surround, ELS will be significantly better.
  3. Backseats space, one of the best thing about the vehicle is the near flat middle seat floor. The under cargo storage space is also handy.
  4. Seats, wonderful seats. check out ventilated functions, hopefully your dealership lets you take it for a extend period of time.
Enjoy, and hopefully you have arranged other test drives on the same day, really makes a difference.
Thanks again. Sure, I will check both the pros and cons. I will test drive RAV4 AWD also tomorrow. Perhaps even CR-V since I have never test drove it.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:31 PM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 140 Posts
I would throw the 2019 Santa Fe into the mix. You can get the fully loaded Ultimate for mid $30s. My wife wouldn’t let me buy it though...

I test drove many suvs. I liked the RDX A-Spec except for the piped in engine noise, camera and infotainment. Also, no deals/incentives and a 2 month wait for the color I wanted. So I passed for now as I couldn’t justify the cost.

I ended up leasing a Lexus NX. They have a $2500 lease cash incentive and a very low lease money factor. I got a decent amount off msrp as well. I wish it had a pano roof but I like everything else about it.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:09 PM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by ross7777
I would throw the 2019 Santa Fe into the mix. You can get the fully loaded Ultimate for mid $30s. My wife wouldn’t let me buy it though...

I test drove many suvs. I liked the RDX A-Spec except for the piped in engine noise, camera and infotainment. Also, no deals/incentives and a 2 month wait for the color I wanted. So I passed for now as I couldn’t justify the cost.

I ended up leasing a Lexus NX. They have a $2500 lease cash incentive and a very low lease money factor. I got a decent amount off msrp as well. I wish it had a pano roof but I like everything else about it.
What exactly do you like about it over the RDX? Surely not the infotainment, or engine power. I also thought they piped in fake engine noise. Maybe just the FSport.

And why wouldn't your wife "let you" buy the Santa Fe?
Old 01-11-2019, 08:27 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts

Yes,, I test drove a Santa Fe Ultimate about 2 months ago. Very nice vehicle. If the only Hyundai dealer here had "at least" a decent service dept, I might consider it. This is a Mazda/Hyundai dealership. Unfortunately, it is truly at the bottom of all the many many dealerships I have dealt with over many years, and the next closest one is too far away to make it a reasonable place to have ny needed warranty work done. The last (and only) Hyundai I owned, a 17 Tucson Limited Ultimate, needed a lot of attention.

I drove a couple of NXs yesterday. I haven't totally made up my mind about them yet. However, I wasn't overly impressed. I didn't really like any of the lighter interior colors, and I won't have an all black interior. The hybrid is the only one I would consider.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:19 PM
Pro

What exactly do you like about it over the RDX? Surely not the infotainment, or engine power. I also thought they piped in fake engine noise. Maybe just the FSport.

The infotainment is better IMO. The Nav is actually really good. It has traffic, weather and you can change the scale and save favorite destinations. I don't even bother using CarPlay.

The power is fine, it's plenty fast for my needs even though on paper it has less power than the RDX. It does have piped in noise but there is a dial to adjust and turn off. I have the F-Sport model with adaptive variable suspension and it's quiet and comfortable but when you turn it to sport+ mode it tightens the suspension, steering and shift points. Overall it just has a more luxury feeling but the behavior changes quite a bit with sport+ mode. It's well built with high quality materials.

There are pros and cons to both. I narrowed it down to the RDX and NX. The better deal on the NX pushed me over the edge. It's got all the options of the Advance but not as boring looking and with incentives ended up being cheaper. I hope Acura offers the Advance trim with the A-Spec package at some point. The RDX is commanding a premium in my area right now and I just wasn't willing to pay it. I'll revisit at the end of my lease.

She just didn't like the Hyundai. For some reason she doesn't like that brand.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:22 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Yes,, I test drove a Santa Fe Ultimate about 2 months ago. Very nice vehicle. If the only Hyundai dealer here had "at least" a decent service dept, I might consider it. This is a Mazda/Hyundai dealership. Unfortunately, it is truly at the bottom of all the many many dealerships I have dealt with over many years, and the next closest one is too far away to make it a reasonable place to have ny needed warranty work done. The last (and only) Hyundai I owned, a 17 Tucson Limited Ultimate, needed a lot of attention.

I drove a couple of NXs yesterday. I haven't totally made up my mind about them yet. However, I wasn't overly impressed. I didn't really like any of the lighter interior colors, and I won't have an all black interior. The hybrid is the only one I would consider.
Agreed on the lighter interior colors. My F-Sport has the red/black seats with red stitching on the dash. I don't think you can go wrong with either vehicle. I test drove both several times.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:28 PM
Racer

Does the Lexus NX have Android Auto? (off to do some research...)
Old 01-11-2019, 09:29 PM
Pro

Does the Lexus NX have Android Auto? (off to do some research...)
No it does not.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:36 PM
Racer

No it does not.
Crap.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:16 PM
Drifting

Crap.
Agreed! And no "promise" that they will update '19 NXs later (at least that I have read anywhere)
Old 01-11-2019, 10:18 PM
Drifting

Agreed on the lighter interior colors. My F-Sport has the red/black seats with red stitching on the dash. I don't think you can go wrong with either vehicle. I test drove both several times.
Does teh NX adaptive Cruise come to a stop and resume like the RDX will?
Old 01-11-2019, 10:41 PM
Drifting

Does teh NX adaptive Cruise come to a stop and resume like the RDX will?
After an extensive search on the Lexus website, I found my answer. It does appear to have this feature.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:08 PM
Suzuka Master

After an extensive search on the Lexus website, I found my answer. It does appear to have this feature.
The NX in white and F-Sport is pretty mean looking but from what I have heard it isn't very sprightly.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:22 AM
Pro

Yes and I use it daily.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:27 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by RDX10
The NX in white and F-Sport is pretty mean looking but from what I have heard it isn't very sprightly.
I’ve found it’s best to test drive. I have no issues merging or passing.

You can read lots of reviews and comments but actually driving the vehicle will obviously reveal a lot.

Lots of choices in this segment and most are solid vehicles.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:34 AM
1st Gear

Hi,
I've had 2 Acura RDX models (2012 and 2015) and had big expectations for the 2019 when I test drove one recently when I wanted to upgrade it.
My initial impression was that the 2019 handled considerably better than the previous model, but the new transmission was a bit slower than the previous 6 speed.
I wound up getting the MDX instead and here's why.
More interior space, more power (6 instead of turbo 4), most comfortable front seats ever, actually handles better than the RDX, even though it's a considerably larger vehicle. And the price. Once you add in the tech package on the RDX, which you have to by the way, unless you like sitting on plastic instead of leather, the price difference between the two, negotiated out the door with a MDX SH-AWD(no packages) is about $1k.
$42,130 is about $1k more than the average price paid, according to true car, so you still have a little wiggle room for a better deal if you go with the RDX.
But for about the same money, the MDX is a better vehicle.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Never ask why.. even then you don't speak after the answer if you got one.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by howster
Hi,

More interior space, more power (6 instead of turbo 4), most comfortable front seats ever, actually handles better than the RDX, even though it's a considerably larger vehicle. And the price. Once you add in the tech package on the RDX, which you have to by the way, unless you like sitting on plastic instead of leather, the price difference between the two, negotiated out the door with a MDX SH-AWD(no packages) is about $1k.
$42,130 is about $1k more than the average price paid, according to true car, so you still have a little wiggle room for a better deal if you go with the RDX.
This is a nice comp against the bigger brother especially if a larger size benefits or wouldn't matter to your garage space. I would also add in the available sports hybrid if that's your fancy.

As for the leather seats comment, I have always said I sit on my jeans or whatever leg wear I decide to suit up that day. Unless you drive naked, the leather is just something you know you have...
Old 01-12-2019, 11:50 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by howster
Hi,
I've had 2 Acura RDX models (2012 and 2015) and had big expectations for the 2019 when I test drove one recently when I wanted to upgrade it.
My initial impression was that the 2019 handled considerably better than the previous model, but the new transmission was a bit slower than the previous 6 speed.
I think they may actually get nearly the same MPG as well. The traditional lease on the MDX also makes it cheaper vs RDX traditional lease due to the money factor.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by acuraada
This is a nice comp against the bigger brother especially if a larger size benefits or wouldn't matter to your garage space. I would also add in the available sports hybrid if that's your fancy.

As for the leather seats comment, I have always said I sit on my jeans or whatever leg wear I decide to suit up that day. Unless you drive naked, the leather is just something you know you have...
This is well said, although I don't think I've ever not had real leather before.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:08 AM
Cruisin'

Hi Folks, Just reporting back after test driving three vehicles back to back, I have decided and bought a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD. RDX is a great car and has the best handling. For it’s worth, I have attached a comparison I made and rated before deciding (10 being the best). Thanks again friends - I will be checking this forum from time to time though.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:47 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by sxk101
Hi Folks, Just reporting back after test driving three vehicles back to back, I have decided and bought a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD. RDX is a great car and has the best handling. For it’s worth, I have attached a comparison I made and rated before deciding (10 being the best). Thanks again friends - I will be checking this forum from time to time though.
Congrats on your new vehicle! Everyone assigns different values to different things

Couple of comments: I see that you didn't figure in expected resale value, and you assigned a low value to the RDX initial cost.

Quick Reply: Please help decide with my purchase