Please help decide with my purchase

Old 01-04-2019, 06:02 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help decide with my purchase

Hi Folks,

I did a short test drive of 2019 RDX AWD and liked it. However, it was only a short drive (on local roads). I see in the forum there are a number of problems reported on this vehicle. I am at a point where I have to decide between 2019 RDX AWD Tech Package, 2019 CX-5 Turbo Signature, and 2019 RAV4 Limited AWD (sorry not all in the same league). I test drove all three - RDX had the best drive although it was short. I liked the RAV4 also. I did not like the CX-5 due to cramped interior and cargo and not a great ride/handling for the price.

The price I got from the dealer for the 2019 RDX AWD Tech is $42,130 which is well below MSRP. This is at 12K higher price than the RAV4 (as expected).

Given the issues posted regarding RDX (not sure how prevalent the issues are), what is your recommendation? Please advise. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:23 PM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by sxk101
Hi Folks,

I did a short test drive of 2019 RDX AWD and liked it. However, it was only a short drive (on local roads). I see in the forum there are a number of problems reported on this vehicle. I am at a point where I have to decide between 2019 RDX AWD Tech Package, 2019 CX-5 Turbo Signature, and 2019 RAV4 Limited AWD (sorry not all in the same league). I test drove all three - RDX had the best drive although it was short. I liked the RAV4 also. I did not like the CX-5 due to cramped interior and cargo and not a great ride/handling for the price.

The price I got from the dealer for the 2019 RDX AWD Tech is $42,130 which is well below MSRP. This is at 12K higher price than the RAV4 (as expected).

Given the issues posted regarding RDX (not sure how prevalent the issues are), what is your recommendation? Please advise. Thanks in advance.
Keep in mind:

1) most people join these car forums to post/find out about an issue they are having...so it can seem like their are a lot of issues......so one isn't getting a true picture (my opinion)

2) its an acura forum so most are going to say..go buy it,lol

Go take a much longer test drive and do it on different road surfaces......I know when I have bought a vehicle....the one I have bought, just feels right. Good luck
The following users liked this post:
securityguy (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 06:25 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
I aggree, you need to drive it for longer! Try to learn the electronics, see if they are to your liking.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:38 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Take the time to drive them both on the same day and on similar roads.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:58 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
With so many electronic bugs, I would be careful.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:12 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
See if any of the major car rental companies have the '19 RDX in their inventory. If so, rent one for a weekend or even a week and see what you think.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:36 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
Isnt the 19 RAV4 an even newer vehicle then the RDX? Id suspect it wont be perfect either.

My RDX has been issue free.
_korangar (01-10-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 09:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 321 Likes on 190 Posts
I love Mazda’s, but this Acura just was awesome for the price, no car is perfect but this one overall is a sweet ride, couldn’t go wrong with Mazda’s or Toyota tho either, still have my 2006 mazda3 hatch manual that I love, 180k and I still driver her hard
Old 01-04-2019, 09:30 PM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Hi Folks,

Why not throw a CRV in there? The RAV4 looks pretty good but I don't think its $12k less than a RDX, the RDX is a pretty good value. If the RAV4 is actually $12k cheaper comparably equipped it would be hard to justify the RDX. Looks like the RAV4 Limited with torque vectoring AWD and some options that make it closer to a Tech package RDX is close to $40k itself.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:03 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
The 2019 Honda Passport will be released soon. Any interest there?
Old 01-04-2019, 11:51 PM
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 188 Posts
1. Ask for an extended test drive of the RDX. If the dealer knows you're serious this shouldn't an issue - I took one for 3 hours even though I wasn't planning to buy till Spring but I'm expecting our first child then so they knew I was for real.
2. It's not entirely clear to me but what is it about the RDX that you like that making you consider spending $12K more? Is the concern about reliability the only thing holding you back?
3. IMO, the problems are always exaggerated to some degree on a forum b/c it's the place to come get help. I'm sure it's not perfect as any first year car is like but a bad Acura is still a really good car.
4. Why not a CR-V Touring? While the RAV4 has decent reviews it's not the star that the CR-V or CX-5 have been with reviewers - it's more of an appliance than the CR-V, RDX or CX-5.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:35 AM
Racer

The RAV4 seems like a worthy competitor.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by supafamous
1. Ask for an extended test drive of the RDX. If the dealer knows you're serious this shouldn't an issue - I took one for 3 hours even though I wasn't planning to buy till Spring but I'm expecting our first child then so they knew I was for real.
2. It's not entirely clear to me but what is it about the RDX that you like that making you consider spending $12K more? Is the concern about reliability the only thing holding you back?
3. IMO, the problems are always exaggerated to some degree on a forum b/c it's the place to come get help. I'm sure it's not perfect as any first year car is like but a bad Acura is still a really good car.
4. Why not a CR-V Touring? While the RAV4 has decent reviews it's not the star that the CR-V or CX-5 have been with reviewers - it's more of an appliance than the CR-V, RDX or CX-5.
I've never noted any exaggerating in any owner's forum. Do you have examples?
Old 01-05-2019, 01:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by Havasubum
I've never noted any exaggerating in any owner's forum. Do you have examples?
He's trying to say that people mostly come to forums to complain. Very rarely do people post when they have no issues. So he's saying that it might seem like the RDX is riddled with problems based on this forum but in actuality it's not exactly a fair representation.
The following 6 users liked this post by RDX10:
catbert430 (01-11-2019), Fifteenkey (01-05-2019), Havasubum (01-05-2019), JB in AZ (01-05-2019), nist7 (01-31-2019), _korangar (01-10-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-05-2019, 01:38 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by RDX10
He's trying to say that people mostly come to forums to complain. Very rarely do people post when they have no issues. So he's saying that it might seem like the RDX is riddled with problems based on this forum but in actuality it's not exactly a fair representation.
yup, exactly that. The problems are real but not statistically accurate. It’s the case for all forums and is entirely normal.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by supafamous
​​​​​
yup, exactly that. The problems are real but not statistically accurate. It’s the case for all forums and is entirely normal.
and that's exactly that, not statistically accurate either way. That's how statistics works . If you can't prove a conclusion, it doesn't mean the opposite is true. For example, if you hop over to Mazda forum, you will see relatively less problem reported for the 2018 CX 5 but is that because it's more reliable? Maybe. But not all controlling factors are the same between the two forums, such as memberships and level of participations. You can never truly know unless one surverys like JDP or CR over a sampling of owners and set period.

You should take in these information as is and decide whether a newly introduced vehicle for 6 months should have these types of problems and what those problems represent. To me, these are quality control issues not engineering. It's a new vehicle assembled first time by new line, you are bound to have more issues. You don't need statics to understand that.

Last edited by acuraada; 01-05-2019 at 06:07 AM.
SandwichViking (01-10-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 08:20 AM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
1. Take a longer drive.

2. The RDX is riding on an entirely new frame, built ground up, while the RAV4 is not. They did a lot of engineering to make it safe.

3. See the ratings for both dealerships; honestly, if issues are your main worry, I’d do some research on both dealerships service and see which is better and go with that.

I personally and anecdotally haven’t experienced any problems with the 2019 RDX Advance. It’s been smooth sailing.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:25 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Keep in mind, most issues have occoured on early 2019 models, to be expected, but by now, after 6+ months of production, I'm sure the common kinks have already been somewhat improved over those from last summer. BTW, that is a decent offer for an RDX Tech!
Old 01-05-2019, 08:32 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
...by now, after 6+ months of production, I'm sure the common kinks have already been somewhat improved over those from last summer.
Including the Infotainment bugs?
Old 01-05-2019, 08:58 AM
Cruisin'

Thank you all for the thoughts and inputs. I will definitely take it for a longer test drive and test the features.
Yes, my main concern was issues/reliability.

By the way, the RAV4 I configured with all the options I preferred was an AWD XLE Premium - which resulted in a 12K difference with RDX.

I didnt add CR-V in the mix due to two reasons - oil dilution issue and i am not impressed by its looks.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:09 AM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
I did quite a bit of cross-shopping recently, but in the end we decided the CX-5 Signature was best for our current needs. The vehicle was for my wife, so she had the majority input as to the final decision. For me, it was a decent compromise. We have about the same power as the RDX, so I'm happy, and a much lower price, so she's happy. She also had a hard time getting used to the new style shifter. When I go to replace my Lexus, the RDX will again be on the radar.

A huge pro for the RDX vs. the closer competition (Q5, X3, XC40/60 etc...) include better retained value. In particular, similarly equipped X3's and Q5's to the Advance RDX cost about $10k more. After 5 years, the RDX has more value. That was eye opening and made me realize why those two vehicles are so heavily leased vs. purchased.

I do not like the styling trends Toyota/Lexus has taken recently, so I never even considered them.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:04 AM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
Thank you all for the thoughts and inputs. I will definitely take it for a longer test drive and test the features.
Yes, my main concern was issues/reliability.

By the way, the RAV4 I configured with all the options I preferred was an AWD XLE Premium - which resulted in a 12K difference with RDX.

I didnt add CR-V in the mix due to two reasons - oil dilution issue and i am not impressed by its looks.
I remember I posted this awhile ago; but to give you some context. RAV4's aren't completely issue free or reliable. Most of the complaints for the Acura isn't transmission or engine problems, but brake squeaking noise... while Rav4 has some serious transmission, engine and electrical issues.

Last edited by OliveBread; 01-05-2019 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:27 AM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
^^ I don't think that chart should be used for comparisons between the 2. The Rav4 outsells the RDX 7 to 1. That said, both are very reliable, according to multiple sources.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by OliveBread
The RDX is riding on an entirely new frame, built ground up, while the RAV4 is not. They did a lot of engineering to make it safe.
The new Rav4 is built on Toyota's TNGA modular architecture along with the Camry, Avalon, ES, Prius, Corolla and eventually most of the unibody lineup. I'm sure there are plenty of reasons to favor the RDX, but I don't think the platform is one of them.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HotRodW
The new Rav4 is built on Toyota's TNGA modular architecture along with the Camry, Avalon, ES, Prius, Corolla and eventually most of the unibody lineup. I'm sure there are plenty of reasons to favor the RDX, but I don't think the platform is one of them.
Agreed. RDX had to reengineer a new platform because of the huge hole they dug for the pano. Instead of using expensive joints for the new frame, they opted to put torsion bars.

This is also going against the industry trend where everyone is developing a single common platform to use across product lines, mainly to save costs.

No opinion on whether this is a good thing or bad but it's certainly a brand new platform inside out and therefore subject to initially reliability issue. The same can be say about 2019 RAV4, invariably the second year car will always be more reliable assuming nothing much else changes. Again, this is just common sense, of course that is if the company cares about reliability (I wouldn't put this past Ford)
Old 01-05-2019, 11:53 AM
Burning Brakes

I know this has been cited multiple times before, RDX is the only Acura recommended by CR when it comes to reliability score(2018 and older)

As for the brand, CR rates Mazda #3 where as Acura is #13. Both Toyota and Honda tops 1 and 2.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:18 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada
Agreed. RDX had to reengineer a new platform because of the huge hole they dug for the pano. Instead of using expensive joints for the new frame, they opted to put torsion bars.

This is also going against the industry trend where everyone is developing a single common platform to use across product lines, mainly to save costs.

No opinion on whether this is a good thing or bad but it's certainly a brand new platform inside out and therefore subject to initially reliability issue. The same can be say about 2019 RAV4, invariably the second year car will always be more reliable assuming nothing much else changes. Again, this is just common sense, of course that is if the company cares about reliability (I wouldn't put this past Ford)
The current (Gen 5 CR-V has a pano roof in Canada and other countries, just not offered in the US. So I'm not 100% sure they had to re-engineer a new platform just because of the big hole in the roof.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:31 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by HotRodW
FWIW, it seems (strictly from reviews I've read) that the TNGA architecture isn't that great. It seems to consistently get graded as worse than VW's MQB, Mazda's Skyactiv, and Honda's shared Accord/Civic/CR-V platform (Honda Modular) in terms of NVH, weight, general performance. My conclusion is that Toyota cheaped out and built only something good enough for mainstream usage while the MQB, SkyActiv and Honda Modular were all built to a higher standard.

Two thoughts on this:

1) AIUI, Acura took the Honda modular platform and changed the front and rear parts of it to build out the RDX so it wasn't a huge cost to do it. For example, I believe the front end had to be redone in order to support a V6 which the Accord doesn't support. The middle of the RDX isn't that different than the Accord platform I think.
2) I'm guessing that this same chassis is going to be used for the next TLX and probably any replacement they build for the RLX (I wonder how long the RLX will even exist - nobody buys it though it's a bit of a shit car)
Old 01-05-2019, 06:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by OliveBread
I remember I posted this awhile ago; but to give you some context. RAV4's aren't completely issue free or reliable. Most of the complaints for the Acura isn't transmission or engine problems, but brake squeaking noise... while Rav4 has some serious transmission, engine and electrical issues.

Those charts make the Rav4 look amazing considering the volume Toyota does. They sold about 430k Rav4s vs 60k RDXs last year.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:33 PM
Cruisin'

Just got an appointment to test drive this Saturday. Can someone please let me which specific items/issues that I should check? Also, do any recent buyers still see issues or most are already sorted out? Thanks!
Old 01-09-2019, 08:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Just got an appointment to test drive this Saturday. Can someone please let me which specific items/issues that I should check? Also, do any recent buyers still see issues or most are already sorted out? Thanks!
My recommendation
  • rough/jerk in lower gears going slow.
  • Rear hatch moaning
  • Rear passenger seals
  • Center console rattles or glass rattles if you live in cold climate
  • Brakes, soft or very deep steps before clapping hard
  • Camera resolution both backup and 360 if you drive an advance.
  • Turn off music and drive in sports and sport+ mode and see if you like the pipped engine sound
I would repeat some of these items during delivery check list if you decide to buy. Don't be afraid to ask to test drive the vehicle before you agree to take delivery. Good luck and enjoy.

Last edited by acuraada; 01-09-2019 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:53 PM
Cruisin'

My recommendation
  • rough/jerk in lower gears going slow.
  • Rear hatch moaning
  • Rear passenger seals
  • Center console rattles or glass rattles if you live in cold climate
  • Brakes, soft or very deep steps before clapping hard
  • Camera resolution both backup and 360 if you drive an advance.
  • Turn off music and drive in sports and sport+ mode and see if you like the pipped engine sound
I would repeat some of these items during delivery check list if you decide to buy. Don't be afraid to ask to test drive the vehicle before you agree to take delivery. Good luck and enjoy.
Great list - Thanks a lot 🙏
Old 01-09-2019, 08:54 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I would recommend to understand if want a luxury CUV, that drives sporty, and low maintenance: get the RDX.

if you want a good CUV, with good accessories and performance: Get the Mazda.

Your personal budget also pays into this. If you are looking for value, with a bigger budget, get the Advance. The HUD, leather, and trim is worth the investment.
Stew4HD (01-10-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 11:51 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Marino Moutafis
I would recommend to understand if want a luxury CUV, that drives sporty, and low maintenance: get the RDX.

if you want a good CUV, with good accessories and performance: Get the Mazda.

Your personal budget also pays into this. If you are looking for value, with a bigger budget, get the Advance. The HUD, leather, and trim is worth the investment.
Thank you for the advice. 👍
Old 01-10-2019, 09:14 AM
Instructor

I second the issue of poor resolution with the rear view camera. It's standard def compared to most others that are HD. Also, try pairing your phone to the radio. If you have an iPhone, try using SIRI. Good luck. BTW, you may want to look at the new Chevy Blazer. I haven't seen it but it could be an option.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:15 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Havasubum
I second the issue of poor resolution with the rear view camera.
How bad is it?
Old 01-10-2019, 09:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Sounds
How bad is it?
It's not bad at all! I can see if something or someone is there, clearly! And then combined with the audible alerts makes it just fine.

I have heard this complaint forever on Acuras that the resolution just isn't great compared to Brand X.

IMO, it aptly serves its purpose.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:51 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
It's not bad at all! I can see if something or someone is there, clearly!
Ya know what? I think I understand the complaint. I just looked at some pictures and videos of the camera in the RDX. To be honest, it doesn't really look that sharp to my eyes, it almost looks blurry. Here are a couple of examples:

Old 01-10-2019, 10:17 AM
Racer

Also, how come it doesn't use the right side of the screen?

Old 01-10-2019, 10:17 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
It's not bad at all! I can see if something or someone is there, clearly! And then combined with the audible alerts makes it just fine.

I have heard this complaint forever on Acuras that the resolution just isn't great compared to Brand X.

IMO, it aptly serves its purpose.
I'm not sure how you can say that. The resolution is so poor that a person standing next to his car looked like an inanimate object until he moved when I was backing out of a parking spot. I watched some videos that reviewed the 2019 RDX when it was showcased in Canada last year. The automotive journalist noted that the resolution of the backup camera was not as good as others. My Brand X's are a GMC Yukon and a 2016 Chevy Equinox. The quality of the rear camera image for both are far superior. Moreover, I just saw a a video of the new 2019 Chevy Blazer. In the
the reviewer showed images of the backup camera. It is much clearer than what we have.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Please help decide with my purchase