Owners how do you like your new RDX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 05:15 AM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 140 Posts
I also drove the 2019 Santa Fe. It’s pretty impressive for a Hyundai. The infotainment system and 360 camera is quite good. My wife won’t let me buy it though because it says Hyundai on it...
Old 12-22-2018, 05:22 AM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife didn't want a Hyundai either.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:40 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
I wish I liked the looks of that new Santa Fe more than I do. The list of included features is quite impressive.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:06 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ANJ
+1 on the brake squeal! Sounds like a Dodge Neon
when does this start and why does it not show up on the test drives. Same question for rattles. Thank you everyone.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I've got a couple threads on here where I've complained of this and that. Was quite frustrated after I made the purchase. Now though, the car seems to have worked out it's bugs and it's been great. I really like all the tech the car has, and it's fun to drive. I've had zero issues witth the infotainmemt system since the update. Note that I don't use car play. Just Bluetooth from Android. That's not to say it's perfect.... I feel like there's a few fit and finish issues. For example, the dash makes too much noise for a new car, and the fake chrome trim at the base of the windows doesn't line up. Only tech issue is the brake hold with auto shutoff. That's exciting when it restarts and the car jumps forward. I don't recommend using both at the same time. Overall though, good car and I'm happy with our purchase.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:04 AM
DR1
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought my Aspec the end of November which had the latest update. I use a new Iphone Max with the latest IOS release and a 32GB USB 3.0 stick with tons of 5.1 Flac and MP3's. I've had no issues with anything.

The reason i bought the Aspec is IMO it looks better than the typical small SUV, It has the tech, the turbo is fun to drive and when you do a cost / feature comparison you have to ask yourself are you going to get a Volvo, Infinity, BMW, Lexus thats better than this for $42 - 43k? Just to give some perspective i was looking to buy the 2019 RAV4 fully loaded with comparable tech and features for $39k MSRP and it has an anemic motor and styling and all wheel drive that was reviewed far below the Aspec.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:56 PM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 RDX A-Spec SH-AWD made in September 2018 and that I took home in October. Infotainment updated successfully to 1.0.7 around 12/15. Took the RDX for a 4-day 1,200 miles road trip the past weekend, driving from Los Angeles to Zion National Park, to Page, AZ, to Las Vegas and then back.
- Adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist really help reducing the driving fatigue. Lane keep did not work when coming into Las Vegas on I-15 Southbound at dawn. This is mainly due to the lack of white marking paint on the freeway.
- Engine is powerful enough to go slightly above the speed limits even when going uphill. No issue passing slower vehicles.
- vent/heated seats
Old 12-31-2018, 10:41 AM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by ross7777
I don’t own one yet but I’m shopping for a small/medium crossover. I test drove an A-spec and also the redesigned 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T.

I like the RDX a lot but I was very impresssd with the Santa Fe. It has every single option you could imagine for around $36K after incentives. Heated/cooled seats, heated wheel, pano roof, rear heated seats, rear window shades, HUD, Car Play etc. The touchscreen system is also well done.

Not quite the same class and it’s not luxury but it’s very nice. My expectations were low and I came away impressed.

My wife can’t get past the Hyundai name plate though....so it’s out.
I sort of regret not going with a fully loaded ultimate Santa Fe, it's much cheaper and has more bells and whistles. I'm not feeling that the RDX is a "luxury" vehicle, it just feels like a top of the line, well equipped Honda but does not have that "luxury" feel and I'm not seeing where it exceeds the Santa Fe honestly. I leased my wife a Sonata ultimate limited with every single option and she has been super happy with that, and myself I leased a Genesis which I handed in for the RDX. Hyundai is really doing a LOT of stuff right IMO. What speaks volumes to me is the difference in warranty, Hyundai has a much better warranty than even Acura, much less Honda and that tells me who is willing to stand behind their product.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:47 AM
Pro

I ended up leasing a 2019 Lexus NX300 F-Sport. I got a really good deal with dealer discount and incentives. I just couldn’t justify spending more on an Acura. Not to mention a 2 month wait for the color I wanted.

Acura’s lease money factor is terrible. Lexus is less than half.

The only thing I’ll miss is the pano roof.

Maybe I’ll revisit the RDX when my lease is up. They’ll have some incentives by then. I do like it but I’m not willing to pay a premium.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:48 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by spinedoc777
I sort of regret not going with a fully loaded ultimate Santa Fe
​​​​​​​I wish I liked the look of the new Santa Fe. The previous version looked much better in my opinion.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:56 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Sounds
I wish I liked the look of the new Santa Fe. The previous version looked much better in my opinion.
Funny. The new look is what got me interested.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:57 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ross7777
Funny. The new look is what got me interested.
Ugh.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:16 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought my RDX in September with 5K miles on it so far. Advance with SH/AWD. First Acura. Love it.

Only issue was the Infotainment system locking up once after an AcuraLink remote start - requiring pulling the fuse for it to reset.
This was the day after the OTA update.

Although I can use the trackpad thingy without much issue and am growing to like it. My wife is an occasional driver of the RDX and she just can't get used to it.
I also wish the screen was touch enabled - even though it is a far reach, my wife would use it if it was.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:28 AM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
I have the Advance AWD. July build date. Love the car. None of the issues others raise so far. Never a brake squeak. No highway wind noise to speak of. I look forward to hopping behind the wheel every time. Best car I’ve owned. And I’ve had most of the high end badges. I buy often. This is my fourth Acura and third RDX—one from each generation. I’ve had other cars in between seeking greater luxury, etc. but don’t really find it and then return to Acura. Unless Acura collapses as a brand which is very doubtful, I’m likely in the Acura camp to stay.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:14 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts
"I look forward to hopping behind the wheel every time. Best car I’ve owned."
Exactly how I feel. Just wish I had more time behind the wheel, but our RDX is officially my wife's car.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:48 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Larrybrd
I have the advance awd and love the handling and ride quality. Also dig the interior look and feel. Acura should improve the wind noise, backup/360 cams and the difficult to use infotainment system.
I test drove a 2019 Santa Fe right before the rdx.
The first thing I noticed was how much more agile the Acura was.
Next I noticed I could not figure out how to do anything with the infotainment system. Hyundai far easier and intuitive. Acura should add touchscreen to the display.
Next I got on the freeway and the wind noise was quite pronounced vs the Santa Fe. The hyundai was extremely quiet. Wasn't expecting that.
Next I parked and tried out the 360 cam. What's with the low quality cameras on this car? The hyundai looked practically HD compared to the blurry rdx camera.
In the end the driving dynamics and nicer looking/feeling interior won out even though $10k more. It hurts me a little every time i look at the crappy backup cam though.
The camera system looks like someone smeared vaseline all over the lens. When I complained to Acura, they seem offended.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:52 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tin369
I will be in the market for a new car next year and currently I drive a RAV4 V6, I want the same power if possible. I am interested in the RDX, but also would like to know if anybody has cross shopped with cheaper alternatives. We already have a 7 seater luxury car so dont want to add another one if i dont have to. I am also going to look at new RAV4, but when I built one (limited trim) its coming out at $39K, the price gap is about $5k, whereas a larger discount could be had for the RDX, while not so much on the RAV4.

I see non luxury cars offering a lot of the tech these days. I am interested in Adaptive cruise control, heated/ventilated seats etc. How does the Toyota safety sense compare to the Acurawatch, do you guys use Acurawatch and find it useful, does it offer Stop and go traffic follow?
Also, is the Tech package the best deal? can you get heated seats and steering with tech package or do you need to go upto advance package.

Overall, are your expectations met, does it have the power when needed and also can give a comfortable plush ride on rough roads?
Just bought a 2019 RDX on 12/22/18, love it. Technology, SH-AWD, 10/18 build date. Test drove the new Rav4 XLE premium, having owned more than 1 Toyota with 175-200K+ I wanted to see how the new 2019 Rav4 compared. Though it was a descent vehicle it does not compare to the RDX for me. Engine was noisy, not in a good sounding way. Ride was not as nice, not as roomy in the cockpit. The RDX is more on the luxurious for sure. The RDX handles and has a lot more power the the Rav. Right now the Rav4 is not being discounted much on the MSRP either, many dealers want above MSRP. For me the RDX was a no brainer.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:12 AM
Cruisin'

New Apex Blue 19' RDX ASpec. Totally regret buying it. Wished I hadn't. Poor paint quality. It's been in the shop already for a Cyl misfire. Audio system is a mess. Almost 50k for this kind of trouble? I'm not happy.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:16 AM
9th Gear

This car has gremlins for sure. On Sunday I get in the car and the radio won't work. I turn up the volume with the knob since the steering wheel button doesn't work and no dice. I switch to different inputs and nothing. Oh well. And the cameras still suck.
I'm enjoying the way it drives though except for the squeaky suspension over speed bumps in cold weather.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:24 PM
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts
New Advance, Red Pearl/parchment, delivered 2/1, couldn't be happier. Drove it 730 miles home at 80 mph into high wind, wouldn't normally drive that far in one day since my body objects strenuously. Very comfortable, very quiet, great sound system even at high speed in high wind, adaptive cruise works flawlessly, lane keeping works but not so flawlessly. No brake squeaks, suspension noises (even though the service guys left the tire pressure at 44 psi from the transport), no apparent glitches from the infotainment although I did not test the Car Play system, no other strange noises or behaviors.
Like the TTI touchpad, hate the monster driving mode knob.
Best feature: HUD, should be mandatory equipment in all new cars, just wish it had more options.
Worst feature: Auto Idle Stop, (come on man, is that really what we've come to in the quest for fuel efficiency?)
Second worst feature: phony piped-in engine noise, Grrrrrr!!!!!
We'll see if any of the other irritations that others report show up in routine driving.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:57 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
This is my first Acura. All my all other cars are Honda’s and Toyota. I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee in college but that didn’t count. I am very disappointed with the RDX quality, fit and finish. There are so many things Acura didn’t get right. I know it’s a first model year and redesign BUT that is not a good excuse. Those little thing like panel out of alignment, trim and panels bend, scatches interior, moon roof black glue residue left behind. Dealer has yet to address all issues because there’re too many and I don’t want to stuck with a loaner car for too long. All other issues with infotainment buggy already reported in the forum, brakes squeal, jerky transmission, glove compartment light had a bad assembly from factory etc. I love this car but all these issues is taking away the enjoyment.

The wife is pissed 😡 and she is not looking forward to another Acura. We wanted a 7 passenger SUV as her next car. I am sure in a few years the MDX and Lexus RXL350 will be on our shopping list. All Acura quality issues is leaving Is a bad taste.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:30 PM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by ToniRDX19
This is my first Acura. All my all other cars are Honda’s and Toyota. I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee in college but that didn’t count. I am very disappointed with the RDX quality, fit and finish. There are so many things Acura didn’t get right. I know it’s a first model year and redesign BUT that is not a good excuse. Those little thing like panel out of alignment, trim and panels bend, scatches interior, moon roof black glue residue left behind. Dealer has yet to address all issues because there’re too many and I don’t want to stuck with a loaner car for too long. All other issues with infotainment buggy already reported in the forum, brakes squeal, jerky transmission, glove compartment light had a bad assembly from factory etc. I love this car but all these issues is taking away the enjoyment.

The wife is pissed 😡 and she is not looking forward to another Acura. We wanted a 7 passenger SUV as her next car. I am sure in a few years the MDX and Lexus RXL350 will be on our shopping list. All Acura quality issues is leaving Is a bad taste.
Put the Genesis GV80 on your list, it's supposed to come out 2019. I was so impressed by my prior Genesis vehicle that I've got the GV80 earmarked. Hyundai really did an incredible job with the G80 which was my prior vehicle, it's what a "luxury" vehicle should look and feel like. Heck they did a great job with the newly released G70 as well. Acura isn't a luxury vehicle, at least the RDX isn't, they cut way too many corners on it.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Put the Genesis GV80 on your list, it's supposed to come out 2019. I was so impressed by my prior Genesis vehicle that I've got the GV80 earmarked. Hyundai really did an incredible job with the G80 which was my prior vehicle, it's what a "luxury" vehicle should look and feel like. Heck they did a great job with the newly released G70 as well. Acura isn't a luxury vehicle, at least the RDX isn't, they cut way too many corners on it.
I don't think they cut corners, it's assembly and quality issue. Think about it, new design, new plant, new crew. As for infotainment system, that's just poor QA team. Quite frankly, if they have a QA team, they should be fired.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Unless I'm missing something, has the GV80 even had any news since the very unfinished prototype was released a couple years ago?

As per Genesis the brand, it is extremely overlooked. The most comfortable vehicle I have ever driven was the G80. The seats and placement of arm rest/center console in relation to the steering wheel was PERFECT! Material quality is also first rate. It's every bit a Mercedes without the price tag or badge.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:04 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Unless I'm missing something, has the GV80 even had any news since the very unfinished prototype was released a couple years ago?

As per Genesis the brand, it is extremely overlooked. The most comfortable vehicle I have ever driven was the G80. The seats and placement of arm rest/center console in relation to the steering wheel was PERFECT! Material quality is also first rate. It's every bit a Mercedes without the price tag or badge.
And yet, you still have to go to a Hyundai dealer for sales/service. THAT alone wold keep me for considering a Genesis. Especially where I live, as there is only one Hyundai dealer, and it is (how can I say this politely?) sub-standard. I believe the buyers of a premium brand deserve a premium dealership.experience, isn't that a part of what makes a premium brand just that?
Old 02-07-2019, 08:12 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Short and sweet...could not be happier.
The following users liked this post:
TroyusMaximus (02-08-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 08:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
​​​​​​Had our A Spec for a month now. This is our first leased vehicle ever. The reason that we leased was because of the expected problems with a new, complicated first year vehicle. Our expectations have been exceeded. So far, a bent drive shaft that was noticeable on the drive home, vibrations throughout the vehicle. Drive shaft was changed a few days later. Going into dealer next week for new control arms due to front end noise and squeaky brakes. I’ve been back to the dealer more in the first month than my 2004 Nissan Pathfinder in 15 years!
Having said all that, we love the vehicle. I’m certain that these issues will be resolved and we will enjoy this fun vehicle to the end of lease. We plan to enjoy the vehicle and drive the shit out of it, then return it at lease end. This will only be a short term fling, not a long romance.

Last edited by FrankZZR; 02-07-2019 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 191 Posts
I love this car since I first laid eyes on it, the design, the color, the specs and features, being a Honda, everything. I have had mine since September, and I have had a few issues with mine, but nothing that would make me change my mind, overall it is a great car and I love the thing. I am going to list out my issues, but most of them are pretty minor, and the dealer has been pretty good at working to fix any issues, I actually dropped it off at the dealer yesterday for an oil change and to have some other things looked at. Knock on wood but I have had no entertainment or electrical glitches, everything on mine seems to be working well. I have had maybe 2-3 times total of CarPlay disconnecting, but thats it. I did have about 4 days where my front left speaker was making weird noises and sounded all messed up, but that went away after a few days. When I installed my spare tire on my A-Spec I had access to the amp and I actually found a harness that was pushed in but not clicked in all the way, so that could be the problem I will never know.

Issues:
1) Steering wheel leather had a small piece come unglued in the concave part so it was no longer flush with the wheel on the back, dealer looking at it now.
2) Brake squeak when first driving the car for awhile, but it goes away after awhile
3) When it gets cold the suspension did get a bit noisy, you could hear like a squeaking/creaking noise on bumps, but that issue appears to have gone away, the dealer is looking at the now tho
4) My back seat driver side seat back is not completely tight, it has a tiny amount of play so when you go over bumps you hear the back making small clicking noises, dealer is looking at this now too
5) I have had some rougher shifting when the transmission is cold for the first 5 shifts or so, I have had a few times where it searched for a gear and could not decide, but this appears be getting better and better as I drive the car and the transmission breaks in. I will say once the car even starts to warm up it shifts great, and I have no problems, very rarely do I have an odd weird shift.

Pros:
1) love the power and shifting of the car, drivers really nice, I can pull past people with ease, sport+ mode is awesome
2) I love the sunroof, it opens up more then I have ever seen on a car, and having the extra light from the roof is really nice
3) love the analog gauges, a little hard to see them on the a-spec in the day cause of the silver background, but look beautiful at night, including the red lighting in the car
4) great ride quality, I feel safe in this car, handles well and you can corner in it pretty darn good, I will say I am not a fan of the good year tires at all on the a-spec, the continentals on this loaner tech package handle much better in the snow then the Good year RSAs but the tires will be changed eventually
5) lots of room to sit, lots of room in the trunk, just a great overall design of the car.
6) I am 6ft 1in 330lbs and I fit well in this car, and am comfortable, the heated and cooled seats work great, and I can fully stretch my feet out while driving. I have had cars in the past where I have to drive with my knees bent the whole time and that is not fun, it is nice having a larger vehicle
7) having the powered hatch is so nice, I never thought I could be so lazy in my life, its surprising how much you love the small stuff like this
8) the lane keep assist and the adaptive cruise works well and it makes driving the car almost too easy sometimes, it makes me want to take a nap on a long drive, but overall it just takes makes long trips a breeze
9) Love the CarPlay and the screen. I have absolutely NO problems with the touchpad, being a computer scientist it didn't take long to learn, and is easy to use, I dont get peoples negatives with it, its really not bad to use at all
10) I LOVE LOVE LOVE the push button transmission, I dont get peoples complaints on this either, why wouldn't you want the ability to hit a button that says drive, or reverse, its so easy, I feel like I am in a car of the future, whenever I drive my girlfriends 2018 CRV with a normal shifter I feel like I went back 10-20 years, I love this feature, and when I get somewhere instead of hitting park, I just hit the car start/off button and it puts it in park automatically
11) parking sensors, omg these are a life changer, It makes parking so much easier when its a tight space

my cons
1) gas tank is kinda small for the mpg you get
2) a-spec tires are not that great, not a fan of good years, not the greatest tires in the snow, the loaner tech package with the continentals grip way better, I want to get some Michelins on there tho
3) no washer on the a-spec camera, when it snows or rains its not really usable
4) trying to think of cons I am honestly having a hard time, I can't think of anymore

overall I love the car, there are some minor issues that a few people are having, but this forum doesn't have that many people on it, and there really are not that many gripes, dont get overwhelmed with any issues here, most RDXs should be mostly trouble free

Last edited by Dereileak; 02-07-2019 at 09:45 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Dereileak:
B25Nut (02-08-2019), DWG (02-09-2019), GW208 (02-07-2019), Outfitter (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 03:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
And yet, you still have to go to a Hyundai dealer for sales/service. THAT alone wold keep me for considering a Genesis. Especially where I live, as there is only one Hyundai dealer, and it is (how can I say this politely?) sub-standard. I believe the buyers of a premium brand deserve a premium dealership.experience, isn't that a part of what makes a premium brand just that?
Ah! But this is where you're wrong! In Canada all Genesis models come with a concierge service where they literally pick it up from wherever you are and leave you another model to drive while they fix yours. This is for a full 5 years iirc or possibly longer. So nope never have to see ANY dealer, just the way I like it hahah. Also honestly, I don't care about the dealership looking nice or having amenities, I only care that the employees are respectful, honest, and competent. I vastly prefer never having to see the dealer over a 5 star dealer any day of the week (I mean that in a general sense, in that the best dealership experience for me is not needing to go to a dealer at all lol).

Last edited by RDX10; 02-08-2019 at 03:42 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:32 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Ah! But this is where you're wrong! In Canada all Genesis models come with a concierge service where they literally pick it up from wherever you are and leave you another model to drive while they fix yours. This is for a full 5 years iirc or possibly longer. So nope never have to see ANY dealer, just the way I like it hahah. Also honestly, I don't care about the dealership looking nice or having amenities, I only care that the employees are respectful, honest, and competent. I vastly prefer never having to see the dealer over a 5 star dealer any day of the week (I mean that in a general sense, in that the best dealership experience for me is not needing to go to a dealer at all lol).
Totally agree with what you said that I bolded.

Ah, again, Canada seems to get more. Cold, included! LOL

Lincoln in the US also has that concierge service. But, it is a Lincoln..While I did like the Nautilus alot, not enough to sign on the dotted line. It also felt/drove a bit bigger than I wanted.

IF/when Genesis brings out a crossover, has it's own distinct dealer network, AND has been on sale a year or two, I will consider one for my next vehicle.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:36 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 rdx

Been driving my 2019 RDX about a month now and really love it. Only problem is the infotainment system locking up today on my drive to work. I will try the system reboot when I get a chance. Otherwise, it's been fantastic
Old 02-08-2019, 11:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Totally agree with what you said that I bolded.

Ah, again, Canada seems to get more. Cold, included! LOL

Lincoln in the US also has that concierge service. But, it is a Lincoln..While I did like the Nautilus alot, not enough to sign on the dotted line. It also felt/drove a bit bigger than I wanted.

IF/when Genesis brings out a crossover, has it's own distinct dealer network, AND has been on sale a year or two, I will consider one for my next vehicle.
Haha it's just a bonus for me since I love snow and actually can't survive when it gets beyond 25 degree Celsius. But I can totally understand in your case, who pays that much money only to end up in the service bay with a 15k elantra. I heard Genesis was planning to start rolling out stand alone dealers and the GV80 is due out soon so it might be sooner than you think!