Owners how do you like your new RDX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 02:23 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Owners how do you like your new RDX?

I will be in the market for a new car next year and currently I drive a RAV4 V6, I want the same power if possible. I am interested in the RDX, but also would like to know if anybody has cross shopped with cheaper alternatives. We already have a 7 seater luxury car so dont want to add another one if i dont have to. I am also going to look at new RAV4, but when I built one (limited trim) its coming out at $39K, the price gap is about $5k, whereas a larger discount could be had for the RDX, while not so much on the RAV4.

I see non luxury cars offering a lot of the tech these days. I am interested in Adaptive cruise control, heated/ventilated seats etc. How does the Toyota safety sense compare to the Acurawatch, do you guys use Acurawatch and find it useful, does it offer Stop and go traffic follow?
Also, is the Tech package the best deal? can you get heated seats and steering with tech package or do you need to go upto advance package.

Overall, are your expectations met, does it have the power when needed and also can give a comfortable plush ride on rough roads?
Old 12-10-2018, 04:20 PM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 140 Posts
I don’t own one yet but I’m shopping for a small/medium crossover. I test drove an A-spec and also the redesigned 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T.

I like the RDX a lot but I was very impresssd with the Santa Fe. It has every single option you could imagine for around $36K after incentives. Heated/cooled seats, heated wheel, pano roof, rear heated seats, rear window shades, HUD, Car Play etc. The touchscreen system is also well done.

Not quite the same class and it’s not luxury but it’s very nice. My expectations were low and I came away impressed.

My wife can’t get past the Hyundai name plate though....so it’s out.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:45 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
8/10 Comfort > a -1 deduction for the central vents that blow air in my face drying out my eyes
9/10 Drive-ability > smooth, power for passing, hard to feather the throttle at times for a gentle leave at at the light; good handling
9/10 Sound System > sounds fantastic when it connects
5/10 Infotainment System > I'm OK with the touch pad; its' the "no radio" "no connection" glitches that drive me crazy; sometimes the seat memory does not engage.
7/10 Brakes > they stop great but the squeal, for first few minutes after a long shut down, is excruciating; pedestrians flinch and dogs howl
6/10 Fuel Economy > just not where I thought it could be

I cross shopped this car against the Chev Equinox Premier which also has a 2.0L Turbo and a 9 speed auto but the price differential was not that much and the RDX has a much better sound system and AWD though the Equinox had heated front & rear seats and a heated steering wheel, and an infotainment system with working Android Auto.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:24 PM
ANJ
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1 on the brake squeal! Sounds like a Dodge Neon
Old 12-10-2018, 08:48 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
8/10 Comfort - heated steering wheel, nice seats, ergonomic cabin
9/10 Drive-ability > smooth, power for passing, hard to feather the throttle at times for a gentle leave at at the light; good handling
5/10 Sound System > high's are harsh, mid-low's missing at normal volumes
6/10 Infotainment System > love the touchpad, glitches need to be corrected
7/10 Brakes > they stop great but the squeal, for first few minutes after a long shut down
8/10 Fuel Economy > fine for my driving
9/10 interior > like the design, chose saddle brown.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:58 PM
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Bought my 2019 RDX A-Spec back in July. I would give it an 8.5/10 overall rating. I needed an SUV this time around. I drove the Honda CRV Touring, GMC Acadia denali, Lexus NX and the Cadillac XT5...saw the '19 RDX at the Car Show last winter and basically fell in love. I haven't had that feeling since my 2010 Cadillac CTS. In my opinion the mix of vehicles I drove did not compare in looks, drivability or value.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:15 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So far so excellent after 1050 miles. Love the power and handling. Only downside so far is fuel economy at 20.2 mpg in mixed driving. Hope this improves with additional miles.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
It’s a great car, but overall quality does not justify the price. The car is made for people who prefer power, nimble sporty (a little louder engine sound), over quite and soft ride, and that’s why I got it. You should definitely take it for a long test drive, and decide if that’s what you want.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:39 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
I love the RDX. It probably doesn't excel in any area, but it does everyihing very well. Can't name a single downside to the car. I guess the downside for me was that I was not able to get the Elite platinum (Advance) features with the A-spec appearance package. But I kinda solved it by replacing the wheels and wrapping the chrome trims.

Compared to others in this class, it's a really good value. I don't feel like I'm trying to save money by getting the RDX instead of say the Q5, X3, XC60, GLC, etc. It feels like the RDX does what others can do, without the added cost.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:01 AM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
I love the RDX. It probably doesn't excel in any area, but it does everyihing very well. Can't name a single downside to the car. I guess the downside for me was that I was not able to get the Elite platinum (Advance) features with the A-spec appearance package. But I kinda solved it by replacing the wheels and wrapping the chrome trims.

Compared to others in this class, it's a really good value. I don't feel like I'm trying to save money by getting the RDX instead of say the Q5, X3, XC60, GLC, etc. It feels like the RDX does what others can do, without the added cost.
I think that sums up Honda/Acura.....it doesnt do everything a 10/10..maybe not even 1 item a 10/10......but everything is a solid 8 out of 10...and I mean that in a very nice way
Old 12-12-2018, 11:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 294 Posts
I am happy with the car. I didn't cross shop at all. All I wanted was something inexpensive with comfortable seats. The European brands are a lot more and aside from Volvo I doubt anything in this price range would have similar seat comfort. The XC60 was quite a bit more and the XC40 had no availability. Cheaper ones like the CR-V completely lacked seat comfort.

With the Tech, you won't get heated steering or ventilated seats. Tech is a good value, but if you want pure luxury, you have to go Advance.

Power, handling, and comfort are all adequate.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:24 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
10/10 Headlights - so much better than anything I've had on a vehicle in the last 20 years.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:27 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
LOL yes. LED headlights vs HID headlights is like HID headlights vs Halogens....the difference is huge. When I go back to my S2000, I'm like did I turn the headlights on? And the S2000 is rated to have one of the best HID system.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:33 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ANJ
+1 on the brake squeal! Sounds like a Dodge Neon
a lot of high performance cars have brake squeal. Just FYI.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:22 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts
When shopping for mine I looked at RAV4 (my mom has one), 4Runner, X3, QX50 & strangely Audi A4.

My takeaways:
RAV4 - not really in the same class as far as luxury and quality of materials. I think the class competitor from Toyota woudl be the Lexus NX, however I find new Lexus design to be painfully unattractive. The new RAV4 is supposed to be much better than the outgoing generation, however I feel like that is geared more towards the adventure type simply based on looks/design
4Runner - awesome, rock solid, reliable w/the reputation to go along with it. To me it drove a bit too much like a truck and didn't have the overall comfort and amenities i desired.
X3 - overpriced, poor ergonomics but overall would have been my 2nd choice
QX50 - after not enjoying my Dad's old G37 Coupe, I found the same basic issue with this Infiniti - pretty to look at but the infotainment seemed a bit aged and when I drove it I didn't feel like I was sitting as high as I like to in a small SUVish vehicle.
A4 - looked but priced out how I like it, too expensive for what it is

Ended up w/the RDX A-Spec in white/black. Its a joy to drive, and coming from a TSX, I really enjoy sitting up higher when in traffic or searching a crowded parking lot - HOWEVER the deciding factor in purchasing this car, the tech, is exactly what I dislike the most about it. I seem to experience all the bugs and find myself not using Sirius, radio or CarPlay and only use BT Audio as its the only thing thats consistently reliable. My suggestion is if you like the RDX and can stand to wait maybe 6 months or so, check back and see if the bugs have been worked out.....
The following users liked this post:
tecwerks (02-08-2019)
Old 12-13-2018, 07:14 PM
Pro

I’m in a similar situation but I actually like the looks of the NX300 F-Sport. It’s about the same price as an A-spec but with a few more options.

The main thing holding me back on the RDX is the fact it’s a first year model. Bugs to work out and not much for discounts/incentives.

Also considered loaded used Q5 and X3. New with similar options are outrageously priced. But I think they are both out due to cost to own.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:43 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by ross7777
I’m in a similar situation but I actually like the looks of the NX300 F-Sport. It’s about the same price as an A-spec but with a few more options.

The main thing holding me back on the RDX is the fact it’s a first year model. Bugs to work out and not much for discounts/incentives.

Also considered loaded used Q5 and X3. New with similar options are outrageously priced. But I think they are both out due to cost to own.
I had an NX. Fit and finish and overall build quality is better. However the RDX drives and corners better, more trunk and 2nd row space, and more comfortable seats. The Awd NX has torque steer and the touchpad is very difficult to use while driving. The little details like a coin tray, hidden USB in console, padded leather door pockets vs hard rubber on Rdx, felt lined glove box, windows slow down when they are about to close so there's no thunk, 12000 mile maintenance intervals, heated steering wheel, folding mirrors, rain sensing wipers are nice but overall I think the Rdx is the better choice for a similar price.
The Q5 felt too cramped inside and I didn't look at the X3. I liked F Pace but ironically didn't purchase fearing electrical bugs. If they can just get an update to fix the Rdx bugs.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:21 PM
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tin369
I will be in the market for a new car next year and currently I drive a RAV4 V6, I want the same power if possible. I am interested in the RDX, but also would like to know if anybody has cross shopped with cheaper alternatives. We already have a 7 seater luxury car so dont want to add another one if i dont have to. I am also going to look at new RAV4, but when I built one (limited trim) its coming out at $39K, the price gap is about $5k, whereas a larger discount could be had for the RDX, while not so much on the RAV4.

I see non luxury cars offering a lot of the tech these days. I am interested in Adaptive cruise control, heated/ventilated seats etc. How does the Toyota safety sense compare to the Acurawatch, do you guys use Acurawatch and find it useful, does it offer Stop and go traffic follow?
Also, is the Tech package the best deal? can you get heated seats and steering with tech package or do you need to go upto advance package.

Overall, are your expectations met, does it have the power when needed and also can give a comfortable plush ride on rough roads?
If you like a car that rattles loudly then go ahead and buy it. Mine is currently in the Acura Service Department for the second time in a few weeks. This time it looks like it will be two weeks before I get it back. Multiple loud rattles. The car vibrates when it’s in reverse and engine is cold. Infotainment system has issues...they currently have mine out of the car and are trying one from another RDX. Mine has 4000 miles on it. Too many issues for a brand new car. My 2010 Nissan Murano that I traded to buy this car was never in the service department this long and was only in the service department once for a small issue the whole time I owned it. Totally regret trading it for the RDX.
The 2019 RDX loaner I am driving rattles too.
Damion Goodrich (02-07-2019)
Old 12-13-2018, 09:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have rattles in my car too but I am trying not to allow it to bother me. Mine are from the B-pillar and from the front dash areas. They are intermittent, though. But don't be surprised if there are rattles in cars of any brand, no matter the cost. A friend of mine had to take his Model X in multiple times for rattles and that car costs 2x my RDX. Both of my F30 328's also had issues with rattles (2014 and 2015) from different areas.

Point is, don't assume other brands are going to have better build quality. It's kind of luck of draw.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:35 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by anoop
I have rattles in my car too but I am trying not to allow it to bother me. Mine are from the B-pillar and from the front dash areas. They are intermittent, though. But don't be surprised if there are rattles in cars of any brand, no matter the cost. A friend of mine had to take his Model X in multiple times for rattles and that car costs 2x my RDX. Both of my F30 328's also had issues with rattles (2014 and 2015) from different areas.

Point is, don't assume other brands are going to have better build quality. It's kind of luck of draw.
I have owned MANY MANY cars of many different brands,,,probably more than you ever have...none of them have ever rattled. And these rattles are LOUD on the RDX. Even the Acura tech said they are very loud. Totally not acceptable for a car to rattle and vibrate like it’s falling apart when driving, especially a new car. You have not heard what mine sounds like so really should only comment on your own situation.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:40 PM
Pro

What is the build date on yours? I didn't notice any rattles on the A-Spec I test drove.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JustMe65
I have owned MANY MANY cars of many different brands,,,probably more than you ever have...none of them have ever rattled. And these rattles are LOUD on the RDX. Even the Acura tech said they are very loud. Totally not acceptable for a car to rattle and vibrate like it’s falling apart when driving, especially a new car. You have not heard what mine sounds like so really should only comment on your own situation.
I agree, I don't know what your rattles sound like.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:48 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by ross7777
What is the build date on yours? I didn't notice any rattles on the A-Spec I test drove.
I got mine in June. I had to wait for it to be delivered to the dealership. The one I test drove didn’t rattle but it was driven on a very smooth road. Mine didn’t rattle at first either. And it doesn’t on a totally smooth road. Something is messed up in the panoramic sunroof as it vibrates and rattles very loudly. There is a rattle in the dash like someone is shaking a baby rattle and there is a rattle that had just started in the back seat area last week. Embarrassing to have anyone in the car with me.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:42 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
I cross-shopped a lot of cars; the biggest upside for me is the trunk space. No other CUV/SUV could match that -- from cheap to high.

The features are just right for me (feels like it'll last for a long time), and the ride is really quiet. I got the Advance model.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:54 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by mbhalpern
So far so excellent after 1050 miles. Love the power and handling. Only downside so far is fuel economy at 20.2 mpg in mixed driving. Hope this improves with additional miles.
I have nearly 10K on mine and the fuel milage will not improve. That is the major gripe I have with the RDX. I am lucky to not have issues others are mentioning on the forum. I purchased mine in July.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:38 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Love my RDX, no issues. Averaging 25.6 mpg over 17 weeks of ownership.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:44 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts
Olivebread: "I cross-shopped a lot of cars; the biggest upside for me is the trunk space. No other CUV/SUV could match that -- from cheap to high."

Same here. The RDX has both Sport and Utility. It's cargo space puts the RDX in the Mid-Size class instead of the Compact class. As one review said, it is a "tweener".
Old 12-14-2018, 05:44 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by MarineOne
Love my RDX, no issues. Averaging 25.6 mpg over 17 weeks of ownership.
@MarineOne can i ask... Do you drive maybe like 80ish or more percent freeways?.... i'm curious since I drive about 75% freeways and cant get an average more than about 24.2. DISCLOSURE: I dont base mine off of the car computer, but do the math with a gas app...
Old 12-18-2018, 06:58 AM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by knakane
@MarineOne can i ask... Do you drive maybe like 80ish or more percent freeways?.... i'm curious since I drive about 75% freeways and cant get an average more than about 24.2. DISCLOSURE: I dont base mine off of the car computer, but do the math with a gas app...
Yes, the majority of my commutes are highway and I calculate the old-fashioned way.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Overall, I like my RDX Advance.

Ride is great, love the features, the interior layout, especially the center console shape!

The glitches in the Infotainment system keeps me from giving the car an overall excellent rating. I hope they fix those things soon and give us a WORKING version of Android Auto
Old 12-18-2018, 10:05 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by knakane
HOWEVER the deciding factor in purchasing this car, the tech, is exactly what I dislike the most about it. I seem to experience all the bugs and find myself not using Sirius, radio or CarPlay and only use BT Audio as its the only thing thats consistently reliable. My suggestion is if you like the RDX and can stand to wait maybe 6 months or so, check back and see if the bugs have been worked out.....
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
The glitches in the Infotainment system keeps me from giving the car an overall excellent rating. I hope they fix those things soon and give us a WORKING version of Android Auto
​​​​​
I keep seeing posts like these. It's upsetting since I'm in the market for a new car and Tech is very important to me.

Last edited by Sounds; 12-18-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:34 AM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Sounds
​​​​​
I keep seeing posts like these. It's upsetting since I'm in the market for a new car and Tech is very important to me.

1 has to keep in mind....It is a first year of a model chg and that many people just join a car forum to find a solution to a problem.....I would guess the majority of people do NOT have any entertainment issues....
romer (01-01-2019)
Old 12-18-2018, 11:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Sounds
​​​​​

I don't think everyone has been having problems with the Infotainment system. The majority of the tech works great.
romer (01-01-2019)
Old 12-18-2018, 02:07 PM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by anoop

I easily corrected a bothersome but not really loud rattle that surfaced on moderately bumpy pavement even at low speeds. The rear most portion of the cover over the back storage bin would develop a low volume rattle. I took everything out of the bin thinking that it was some of my roadside emergency supplies rattling against the plastic of the bin. It continued. I then took a velcro strip - the fuzzy part not the prickly part with adhesive backing, cut into like 3/4 inch by 1/2 inch pieces and put on the bin where the cover met it every 8 inches or so on the sides and the back. If you use black, you don't even notice it and it is covered when the bin is closed. It seems to dampen this rattle almost completely. I think there was a little play in the latch area that jostled the cover over bumps. I am not sure if that is just the way my vehicle is but it could affect more. I doubt if the tolerances for that cover are that precise.
The following 2 users liked this post by gtssenior:
B25Nut (12-18-2018), Outfitter (02-08-2019)
Old 12-18-2018, 02:36 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Been back to the dealer 17 times in six months, enough said......
Damion Goodrich (02-07-2019)
Old 12-18-2018, 07:31 PM
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Cazman
Been back to the dealer 17 times in six months, enough said......
Do the service consultants run out the back door when you come in or just try to hide under their desks?
Just kidding

I read in another post that you are leasing. Have you tried to get them to replace your car? 17 problems is excessive for any car.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by catbert430
Do the service consultants run out the back door when you come in or just try to hide under their desks?
Just kidding

I read in another post that you are leasing. Have you tried to get them to replace your car? 17 problems is excessive for any car.
The Acura regional in my area refuses to meet with customers, how about that !! He forces all problems to be resolved by the dealer or the 800 # for Acura customer care. I'll be heading to FL soon and I'm hopeful that the regional in that area will be more responsive to his customers. I asked Acura customer care to enter the lack of regional support into the record but I really don't expect any help. It seems that some regions have great customer support but I am not presently in one of them.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Cazman
...It seems that some regions have great customer support but I am not presently in one of them.
What region are you in?

Old 12-19-2018, 07:55 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
What region are you in?
Upstate NY.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:23 AM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the advance awd and love the handling and ride quality. Also dig the interior look and feel. Acura should improve the wind noise, backup/360 cams and the difficult to use infotainment system.
I test drove a 2019 Santa Fe right before the rdx.
The first thing I noticed was how much more agile the Acura was.
Next I noticed I could not figure out how to do anything with the infotainment system. Hyundai far easier and intuitive. Acura should add touchscreen to the display.
Next I got on the freeway and the wind noise was quite pronounced vs the Santa Fe. The hyundai was extremely quiet. Wasn't expecting that.
Next I parked and tried out the 360 cam. What's with the low quality cameras on this car? The hyundai looked practically HD compared to the blurry rdx camera.
In the end the driving dynamics and nicer looking/feeling interior won out even though $10k more. It hurts me a little every time i look at the crappy backup cam though.

Quick Reply: Owners how do you like your new RDX?