AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RDX (2019+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/)
-   -   Over The Air (OTA) Software Update D.1.0.7 (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/over-air-ota-software-update-d-1-0-7-a-975398/)

Madd Dog 12-14-2018 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by RDXguy (Post 16350055)
Last night I clicked on my updates in the home screen to see if the update was there. It was. I never clicked to install it, I have NEVER given my car my home wireless network password, I do not have ATT cell phone service (I have Verizon) and yet this morning when I got in the car it said that the update was complete. And it was. The home screen was rearranged. How did it do the download? Not my wireless network. Not my cell phone. I don't get it???

I suppose it is your cars cell phone connection, like the currently installed ‘Help’ button. The car is connected, just try out the ‘where the eff is my car?’ finder on your Acura app.

WoodyB 12-14-2018 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by RDXguy (Post 16350055)
Last night I clicked on my updates in the home screen to see if the update was there. It was. I never clicked to install it, I have NEVER given my car my home wireless network password, I do not have ATT cell phone service (I have Verizon) and yet this morning when I got in the car it said that the update was complete. And it was. The home screen was rearranged. How did it do the download? Not my wireless network. Not my cell phone. I don't get it???

Not sure when you got your new vehicle but the AT&T Wireless connections works under dealer mode for the first couple of Gig. You could see that by clicking on the AT&T Wireless and see if it's in Dealer Mode. I also saw someone post a thought that Acuralink might support the Update. That I have no clue about but the emails from Acura all seem to only mention Wi-Fi or USB. If that's true then my bet would be it used the AT&T access in dealer mode.

zroger73 12-14-2018 09:17 AM

My RDX is not in dealer mode, I never activated the free trial, and the hotspot feature does not work, yet it downloaded the 55 MB file over cellular in the parking lot of my office while the vehicle was not connected to Wi-Fi. Apparently, OTA updates are "complimentary" over cellular. Acura may have to pay for this "complimentary" data usage which could be why they push the Wi-Fi or USB update method.

WoodyB 12-14-2018 09:24 AM

Thanks Roger...interesting.

cbstsx09 12-14-2018 10:48 AM

updated by wifi in my garage last night took 10 minutes. Came back up everything works fine only real noticeable difference is touch pad reaction seems quicker more precise than before.

Wander 12-14-2018 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by zroger73 (Post 16350107)
My RDX is not in dealer mode, I never activated the free trial, and the hotspot feature does not work, yet it downloaded the 55 MB file over cellular in the parking lot of my office while the vehicle was not connected to Wi-Fi. Apparently, OTA updates are "complimentary" over cellular. Acura may have to pay for this "complimentary" data usage which could be why they push the Wi-Fi or USB update method.

Has anyone had success with updating via USB? I suppose it's possible Acura is quietly pushing this relatively small update over the AcuraLink cellular connection because the USB update method isn't working.

AFAIK AcuraLink uses an AT&T cellular connection similar to the subscription "in-car WiFi" service, but Acura foots the bill for the former. And most functions of AcuraLink require very little data, especially since traffic data has been shifted to an HD radio service ( unlike previous Acuras ).

I've dealt with this a bit in our 2014 MDX because it uses CDMA AT&T service, which is being phased out and coverage is very spotty. The "telematics unit" module is responsible for the cellular link. It's possible to replace the telematics unit in 2014 MDX, and it's easy to access, but the part is expensive. Acura had a campaign to replace them in the Canadian market when CDMA was deprecated across much of Canada. The replacement telematics unit supports LTE.

You may notice "small print" notices from Acura that they reserve the right to cancel AcuraLink service at any time, the electronics in the car are not upgradeable, and the electronics may not function with future networks. Their words ( paraphrased ), not mine. Gives you a warm fuzzy felling about future product support, doesn't it? I guess it's the price for incorporating emerging technologies into relatively durable appliances.

jonarogers 12-14-2018 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Wander (Post 16350253)
I've dealt with this a bit in our 2014 MDX because it uses CDMA AT&T service, which is being phased out and coverage is very spotty. The "telematics unit" module is responsible for the cellular link. It's possible to replace the telematics unit in 2014 MDX, and it's easy to access, but the part is expensive. Acura had a campaign to replace them in the Canadian market when CDMA was deprecated across much of Canada. The replacement telematics unit supports LTE.

I don't know where you are, but in the US AT&T uses GSM/TDMA. Sprint and Verizon used CDMA. It's why old verizon and spring phones did not have SIM cards, but ATT and Tmobile phones did.
https://www.androidauthority.com/gsm-vs-cdma-689328/
https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhone...h-one-another-

Perhaps you mean 3G instead of LTE?

Havasubum 12-14-2018 05:12 PM

This makes the second day after the so called long awaited update. When listening to XM/Sirius, I still cannot change the channel using the left thumb wheel. I continue to see "System Error: Function Not Available" on the HUD. I've waited since June for this? What a joke.

Wander 12-14-2018 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by jonarogers (Post 16350292)
I don't know where you are, but in the US AT&T uses GSM/TDMA. Sprint and Verizon used CDMA. It's why old verizon and spring phones did not have SIM cards, but ATT and Tmobile phones did.
https://www.androidauthority.com/gsm-vs-cdma-689328/
https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhone...h-one-another-

Perhaps you mean 3G instead of LTE?

No, LTE is claimed ( does that imply 4G, or am I still confused? ). But thanks for the informative links. I guess AcuraLink must have switched carriers as well, and is forced to continue service with the no-longer-preferred carrier to support its older product. That may explain a few things.

I'm currently deciding whether to continue AcuraLink on our 2014 MDX, mostly to be able to feed Nav destinations to it from a smartphone app ( the Nav interface on that model year is horrible ), so I need to dig into this some more. The spotty service is a real problem.

oblio98 12-14-2018 09:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well the USB playback "tone" error is not fixed yet. That's a disappointment. Donald Fagen interrupted by the beep (attached MP3)

Wander 12-15-2018 12:04 AM

Well, with what's on the audio after the bleep, it's no wonder it got bleeped! :biggrin:

Master47 12-15-2018 08:04 AM

Just updated ours. It must have downloaded on its own over AcuraLink, because it was waiting for me at step 5 when I hit the update button. Took 10 minutes from there. We took delivery September 1st, with ver. 1.0.4.

Colin Whooten 12-15-2018 08:35 AM

Good to see Acura doing bug updates. Annoyed that it reset my icons/favorites along the way 😡

RDXguy 12-15-2018 09:00 AM

Help With Siri Please

Since I did the recent update for my RDX, now when I hold down the talk button on the steering wheel for several seconds, I no longer get Siri. I used to use that (when not connected to the USB for Apple Play) to send texts and make phone calls. Now when I hold down the switch, it is silent. Any thoughts on how to correct the problem. My iPhone 6S+ is on operating system version 12.0.1. There is an update 12.1.1 which I have not yet installed. That is my only thought, but I do not like to change too many things at one time (update car and phone) because then it gets harder to figure out if it still does not work which update is causing a problem. Thoughts to solve my problem please. Thanks.

TheLevelOne 12-15-2018 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Havasubum (Post 16350381)
This makes the second day after the so called long awaited update. When listening to XM/Sirius, I still cannot change the channel using the left thumb wheel. I continue to see "System Error: Function Not Available" on the HUD. I've waited since June for this? What a joke.

Had the same issue a few times. Resolved it by using the touchpad and selecting one of my favorites. After that business as usual for the selection wheel.

Regards --------------------

HillbillyInBC 12-15-2018 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by oblio98 (Post 16350453)
Well the USB playback "tone" error is not fixed yet. That's a disappointment. Donald Fagen interrupted by the beep (attached MP3)

And with that, my interest in installing this update (and my frustration at its continued unavailability here in Canada) just dwindled to zero.

billyt1963 12-15-2018 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by RDXguy (Post 16350540)
Since I did the recent update for my RDX, now when I hold down the talk button on the steering wheel for several seconds, I no longer get Siri. I used to use that (when not connected to the USB for Apple Play) to send texts and make phone calls. Now when I hold down the switch, it is silent. Any thoughts on how to correct the problem. My iPhone 6S+ is on operating system version 12.0.1. There is an update 12.1.1 which I have not yet installed. That is my only thought, but I do not like to change too many things at one time (update car and phone) because then it gets harder to figure out if it still does not work which update is causing a problem. Thoughts to solve my problem please. Thanks.

You beat me to the punch by a few minutes. I have noticed the same thing. I get the tone that Siri is listening, but before I can get my request out Siri shuts down. I just deleted the phone from the car and the car from the phone and re-introduced them. This did not help. My phone is on 12.1.1, so that is not a fix. Even if I use "Hey Siri" it starts to listen, but cuts me off like the phone can't hear me through the in car microphone.

Billy

gtssenior 12-15-2018 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by RDXguy (Post 16350540)

I am on IOS 12.1.1 and have the D.1.0.7 update installed. When I hold the talk button down on the steering wheel and hold it for a couple seconds with the iphone connected either with Bluetooth or the cable connection for Car Play, and say a request, I get no response from Siri although the vehicle display seems to acknowledge my action. Now with either connection, if I say "Hey Siri What day of the week is today" for instance WITHOUT pressing the talk button on the steering column, I hear the reply over the vehicle speakers. It is definitely acting different now on 1.0.7 but the result I guess is acceptable because it is hands free and the response comes back through the vehicle speakers. I am not sure yet if the vehicle microphone picks up my voice or the iphone itself and relays it to the vehicle speakers for the reply. I am going to play around with this some more to see if this is consistent or whether it is one of those familiar quirks that seem to migrate to a different behavior depending on the alignment of the stars. One thing I might try using Car Play is if I can get a Siri request over to Apple Maps and have its navigation appear on the vehicle screen. Not that this is important to me, but I want to understand how D.1.0.7 release behaves.

MI-RDX 12-15-2018 10:34 AM

Been playing around with the update since it was installed and so far my only 'complaint' is the fact that my pinned favorites on the home screen were deleted and the order of the icons was rearranged - both of which I can totally understand why that happened. Other than that every function I've used so far has worked without incident.

The left thumb wheel functions for me when scrolling left/right for AM, FM, XM, and USB inputs.

I'm currently testing the AM radio 'loading loop' issue when it's on the right screen and Nav is on the left. Only did 2 ignition cycles so far and it's not recurred, but that's way to small a sample size to tell if it's actually been addressed.

tangible 12-15-2018 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Wander (Post 16350032)
Does a touchscreen work the same way as a trackpad? Maybe I'm missing something, but I think one of them is "absolute positioning" and the other is "relative positioning". Both are common in automotive infotainment systems, and it shouldn't be all that hard to cut-and-paste some code. Besides, from what little I know of structured programming, I wouldn't expect those routines to reside in the main program; they should be in a driver. Dunno who gets to write the driver.

There are important behavorial differences between a touchscreen and the RDX touchpad. A touchscreen responds immediately to the touch. The RDX cannot do that, because the user cannot see exactly where the touch will be on the screen. Instead it uses a touch and slide approach to allow the user to hit the right spot. The programming for this may not be difficult, but it certainly would prevent using the touchscreen SDK without modifications.

gtssenior 12-15-2018 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by gtssenior (Post 16350560)
I am on IOS 12.1.1 and have the D.1.0.7 update installed. When I hold the talk button down on the steering wheel and hold it for a couple seconds with the iphone connected either with Bluetooth or the cable connection for Car Play, and say a request, I get no response from Siri although the vehicle display seems to acknowledge my action. Now with either connection, if I say "Hey Siri What day of the week is today" for instance WITHOUT pressing the talk button on the steering column, I hear the reply over the vehicle speakers. It is definitely acting different now on 1.0.7 but the result I guess is acceptable because it is hands free and the response comes back through the vehicle speakers. I am not sure yet if the vehicle microphone picks up my voice or the iphone itself and relays it to the vehicle speakers for the reply. I am going to play around with this some more to see if this is consistent or whether it is one of those familiar quirks that seem to migrate to a different behavior depending on the alignment of the stars. One thing I might try using Car Play is if I can get a Siri request over to Apple Maps and have its navigation appear on the vehicle screen. Not that this is important to me, but I want to understand how D.1.0.7 release behaves.

More observations - I never touch the talk button on the steering wheel.
1. Iphone cabled which activates Car Play. I say "Hey Siri give me directions to the Willis Tower in Chicago Illinois". Siri responds via the car speakers and puts the Apple Navigation map directions to the Willis Tower on the vehicle display and is functional via voice or the touchpad.
2. Iphone not cabled which does not activate Car Play. I give the same command and it is acknowledged verbally on the car speakers, the command given is written on the iphone display and the resulting navigation map appears on the iphone display with really nothing going to the vehicle display.

So it is beginning to look like with the new software release is that the talk button on the steering wheel is only for communicating verbally to the vehicle system (navigation, radio channels, phone functions, etc.) and not to the iPhone. The "Hey Siri" verbal command replaces holding the steering wheel button down for a few seconds. It would be interesting to see if those that had 1.0.7 initially on their cars and have had more time with this release see the same behavior.

WoodyB 12-15-2018 12:47 PM

Just a few words. Picked up car on June 4th, 2019. Tech Model. Came with the 1.04 load. I noticed lots of little issues but thank goodness none of the more major issues I have seen here posted by others. I have some likes/dislikes about some things but those are not issues, rather just an opinion as a user.
My 3 annoying issues were the now infamous "Loading" hang with AM Radio. I happen to listen to a couple of AM stations out of New York and it's my choice obviously. ;) When I reported the issue the answer was "Who listens to AM anymore?". Good answer, eh? The other one was when I would make a Bluetooth Call the phone app would remain in a hung state on the right hand little box and would not change without me flipping the choices back and forth. The final and REALLY annoying issue was when a TEXT message would arrive the CHIME Notification was SO LOUD it was actually painful to hear. There was no separate volume for JUST that notification so I had to lower ALL Notification volume. The first time I got a text it actually startled me. Unreal. I had a few other minor screen popups with notices from time to time but overall the Nav and Phone Interface (including streaming Bluetooth) worked fine. I have a Galaxy Note 8 and am a forever Android guy who does not like the Apple Interface. I was forced to learn the MAC for work and it was OK once I got used to it but an a Windows/Android guy and always have been. So I loaded up the 1.07 and crossed my fingers.
AM hanging at loading....RESOLVED. It has not happened since Wednesday and I could expect it to happen almost every other car start.
Phone App hanging in right hand box....RESOLVED. Now when I highlight and press the button to hang up the right hand box reverts back to whatever it was displaying when I started the call. For instance, I would speak and say "Call Brian". The phone app would pop up on the right fine when when I clicked on END to hand up it would say it was hanging up but the app would hang. No play on words intended. LOL Now works perfect.
Chime volume...NO CHANGE. UNRESOLVED.
Now, I want to say this. Like all others with Android I am anxious to use Android Auto. SO am I disappointed, yes. Here my statement and not meant to flame others who feel differently. I'm just stating an observation. I've read some pretty angry posts and some have stated they would not have purchased the car if they had known Android Auto would be delayed this long. This confounds me. I can't imagine someone spending $40K + on a motor vehicle and then their reason for canning that vehicle is lack of a software application. I'll be frank. I am 66 and have been a systems engineer (VoIP and Data) supporting for a VERY long time. I support Cisco, Avaya and Microsoft. Working with third party applications can be a bear and the battles I have seen over the tears with customers paying hundreds of thousands of dollars is significant.I mention this because while I want Android Auto, I don't want something rushed out the door that Google can't get right but rushes it to appease those who are being most vocal. One thing in my business I see is when a software company rushes out a poorly tested or buggy function it can often be a disaster. Since the core OS and Application function of the Infotainment Console has enough of it's own bugs, whipping out a still testing application on top of that would only make it worse. I purchased the car based on ownership or 6 prior Acura/Honda vehicles and delight with "most" of them along the way. Certainly the reliability of the drive train and confidence I will get where I am going takes precedent over Android Auto. Part of the reason in my mind is the base Android Version of Android that the car OS runs on is 5.1. For those who don't remember that was the old Lollipop Release which in itself was always a buggy OS. The first letter of the CODE name represent the release. So Lollipop was "L". They are now just selling Android Phones with Pie or "P". My Galaxy Note 8 is still on Oreo or "O" which is 8.1. Needless to say while I am NOT a Google Software Engineer, I wonder why Acura used such an old release of Android OS.

My two dislikes....I feel Acura should have put together a much more responsive and knowledgeable support plan before the first shipment of these vehicles. I was glad to see them get into a much more intuitive and adaptable and actually have grown to really like the Touchpad concept. (Took a while to learn a touchpad verses a PC glidepad. Totally different animals. My grip with Acura is they did not prepare the dealerships or corporate support to support a the new interface with ITcentric people. My brother is my Acura Salesman and Acura didn't even send him to demo training until September. I picked up the car on June 4th and by June 15th I was teaching him about how to use it. Technical Software/Hardware support is totally different than mechanical drive-train support. Yes, cars have had computers onboard for some time but the owners never see that part. With the 2019, it's in your face and is what they are bragging about. I feel they have tarnished their reputation a bit by not anticipating the level of interactive support that this interface would require.
While I am fine with the GPS Default Map System, I do miss the wheel zooming the prior years had. I never use the knob on the dash to change the ride settings. If I do, I change from Sport to Comfort on the steering wheel. Yes, you can zoom in on the MAP by entering Explore mode but the default of 500 foot resolution is not changeable. That I don't care for but again, not a bug, just a different system. Android Auto would have at least allowed me some options choices.

So, like others 1.0.7 did fix most of my bugs and all of that is good and what a bug-fix update should accomplish. I am still concerned about the Acura/Google relationship and if it is as tight as it should be to support this new system. I integrate with 50-100 different vendors in my business and we have labs which certify those interactions during testing. If it has not been certified we tell our customers they are in a "permissive" mode and we can't provide support. Sometimes those work and sometimes they are buggy as hell. Basically what we have in the 2019 Acura is an Android Notebook integrated into a car and is a restricted use device. Meaning no open access to an App Store.

Sorry for the long post. Waited a while to get into this.

Havasubum 12-15-2018 12:54 PM

I received this video from Honda America advertising how RDX owners can access items via voice commands. It clearly shows that a long press on the talk button on the steering wheel should access SIRI on a paired phone. If the new update prevents that then Honda America created more problems then it fixed.

Newsy1904 12-15-2018 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by HillbillyInBC (Post 16350549)
And with that, my interest in installing this update (and my frustration at its continued unavailability here in Canada) just dwindled to zero.

re Canada - I also have not seen this; last checked the evening of the 14th around 8:30PM. No joy.

I have the car connected via "Network" off my phone's hotspot.

securityguy 12-15-2018 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by WoodyB (Post 16350621)
Just a few words..........................Sorry for the long post. Waited a while to get into this.

@WoodyB that's a "few words" :doh:

Twinbrings 12-15-2018 04:21 PM

I would like to report the new software version worked on our A-Spec :butthead:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...bf37547ec.jpeg

securityguy 12-15-2018 04:22 PM

@Twinbrings ...why would it not???

Havasubum 12-15-2018 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Twinbrings (Post 16350689)
I would like to report the new software version worked on our A-Spec :butthead:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...bf37547ec.jpeg

You are now current with the cars for sale at the Acura stealerships.

zroger73 12-15-2018 04:42 PM

Count me in as another whose Siri Eyes Free was broken by the D 1.0.7 update. It worked fine with D 1.0.4. I'm running an iPhone XS Max and iOS 12.1.1. A long-press of the talk button on the steering wheel invokes Siri, but seconds later the music returns before my request is completed.

I'd try to deleting the phone and vehicle from each other and starting over, but I'm afraid AcuraLink will break again and I had heck getting it set up the first time. This whole system seems so delicate and touchy. :(

Also, I opened my tailgate today while out shopping and twice it would only open a few inches and stop. I never had any problems with the tailgate before this audio system update!

The update didn't fix the "system error - function not unavailable" message when trying to change channels with the steering wheel controls.

This car just keeps on delivering bad surprises.

Havasubum 12-15-2018 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by zroger73 (Post 16350700)
Count me in as another whose Siri Eyes Free was broken by the D 1.0.7 update. It worked fine with D 1.0.4. I'm running an iPhone XS Max and iOS 12.1.1. A long-press of the talk button on the steering wheel invokes Siri, but seconds later the music returns before my request is completed.

I'd try to deleting the phone and vehicle from each other and starting over, but I'm afraid AcuraLink will break again and I had heck getting it set up the first time. This whole system seems so delicate and touchy. :(

Also, I opened my tailgate today while out shopping and twice it would only open a few inches and stop. I never had any problems with the tailgate before this audio system update!

The update didn't fix the "system error - function not unavailable" message when trying to change channels with the steering wheel controls.

This car just keeps on delivering bad surprises.

My tailgate opened 3" while updating the software. No buttons were pressed.

MI-RDX 12-15-2018 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by zroger73 (Post 16350700)
...The update didn't fix the "system error - function not unavailable" message when trying to change channels with the steering wheel controls....

Because of your previous post on this I specifically tested this after the update on mine. No problems with AM, FM, XM, or USB sources. It may be related to the switch in the steering wheel since it appears to be happening on 2 different software versions.

Has the dealer had a look at it?

Havasubum 12-15-2018 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by MI-RDX (Post 16350715)
Because of your previous post on this I specifically tested this after the update on mine. No problems with AM, FM, XM, or USB sources. It may be related to the switch in the steering wheel since it appears to be happening on 2 different software versions.

Has the dealer had a look at it?

I took mine to the dealer so he could see the error message. The service manager said the new update would fix it. With egg on his face he said he would contact Honda America and get back with me.

Bartrdx 12-15-2018 06:29 PM

I have an advanced model with the HUD. Since the update I no longer see the posted speed limit next to my speed. Anyone else know what is up with this.
john

MI-RDX 12-15-2018 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bartrdx (Post 16350720)
I have an advanced model with the HUD. Since the update I no longer see the posted speed limit next to my speed. Anyone else know what is up with this.
john

Not related to the update. It was happening with the previous S/W as well.

Some discussion in this thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...n-gone-975453/

billyt1963 12-15-2018 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by gtssenior (Post 16350560)

SO I have to know, where do you keep your phone? When in the car I keep my phone either in a case on my belt or in a side pocket on my pants. In either of those places the phone can't "hear" me say Hey Siri. I did take the phone out and it worked as you said.

I still miss the Siri Eyes Free. There are so many states that don't even want the phone out, so that is a great thing.

Billy

markm929 12-15-2018 07:28 PM

I’ve updated to 1.0.7. And am on 12.1.1 on my iPhone and pressing the talk button on the steering wheel works fine for me. Siri engages and I am able to ask for directions, and place phone calls.

kboo74656 12-15-2018 07:43 PM

I bought my car on 05 NOV 18 and it came with 1.0.7 and Car play works the same way in my A-Spec as my previous 2017.5 Murano. In order to make the most of Car Play the iPhone has to be plugged in.

securityguy 12-15-2018 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by kboo74656 (Post 16350744)
I bought my car on 05 NOV 18 and it came with 1.0.7 and Car play works the same way in my A-Spec as my previous 2017.5 Murano. In order to make the most of Car Play the iPhone has to be plugged in.

In order for CarPlay to work, the phone has to be plugged in PERIOD! Not plugged in...NO CarPlay.

Havasubum 12-15-2018 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by securityguy (Post 16350746)
In order for CarPlay to work, the phone has to be plugged in PERIOD! Not plugged in...NO CarPlay.

THIS In order to use Siri, the phone just needs to paired. This is straight from the horses mouth. The video DOES NOT say anything about plugging in the phone.

securityguy 12-15-2018 07:53 PM

^^^that is not CarPlay