Over The Air (OTA) Software Update D.1.0.7

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 06:53 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by zroger73
Read back in this thread. Your question was answered in at least two posts.
Q: Post numbers please out of 160 posts?
Old 12-13-2018, 06:55 AM
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
My Apple loyalty could be tested if Android Auto got the Acura hardware working as intended.
CarPlay (like Android Auto) is designed to work across a wide variety of hardware platforms. If one car manufacturer comes up with a non-standard user interface in one of its many models, I don’t think it’s Apple’s responsibility to rewrite the code to accommodate it beyond what they’ve done, which is to get their apps to work as they do in every other car with a touchpad.

Personally, I like touchpads to work as they have for decades. The RDX concept may be better in theory, but as with QWERTY keyboards there’s a big cost to abandoning an entrenched standard.
The following users liked this post:
zroger73 (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 06:56 AM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by EXCALIBUR1
Q: Post numbers please out of 160 posts?
Here you go.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...pdates-975600/
Old 12-13-2018, 07:08 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by bluntman72
Thank you.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:28 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Checked via wireless & USB this morning, no update for Canadians.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:51 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
On my first test ride I plugged in iPhone. I was going to call my wife through HUS system and use Acura phone. No go. The new software makes you go with iPhone. Now you have to make calls with voice commands or your index finger on touch pad. This is probably good, because in the past the two systems kind of fought each other. Otherwise things are good so far.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:26 AM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Haven't seen any functionality differences. I believe the screen that displays when you change dynamic mode might be different. I think the mode used to be on the bottom, now it is on the side?

Old 12-13-2018, 09:16 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura need to give us AA as promised soon delivery. This is getting frustrating
Old 12-13-2018, 09:26 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Installed just now, went very smoothly, took about 10 minutes.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:37 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Gate 17
Checked via wireless & USB this morning, no update for Canadians.
Looks like we probably have to wait another week or so...oh well

Old 12-13-2018, 10:05 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts
FYI - There are still several bugs with 1.0.7. I received my RDX 6 weeks ago with 1.0.7 already installed and have experienced several of the issues that people describe in this forum. I was really looking forward to this update and am disappointed to hear that it won't even pertain to me.

Perhaps I will reflash the firmware (like reinstalling the operating system) to see if it makes a difference.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:28 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a smooth update and was about to say it is encouraging that Acura was able to accomplish the update albeit with minor fixes. But, in driving this morning, my Navigation Favorites seem to have been wiped out with the exception of "Home". Very annoying since I had built up a couple of pages. Looks like Sirius and FM Favorites are OK along with Navigation Previous and Downloaded also still there. Anybody else have this problem?
Old 12-13-2018, 12:02 PM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
As it turns out, this OTA was a total non-event for me since my car was delivered with D.1.0.7 when I drove off the lot in October.

Think about that for a second. The car was released to the motoring public 6 months ago (went on sale in June). So all the issues the guinea pigs (a.k.a. early adopters) have been dealing with that were fixed by v. 0.7 doesn't even include whatever has cropped up since they built this "new version" (before October, probably). The software engineers writing the code had to stop somewhere ~two months ago in order to have v. 0.7 ready for yesterday's release.

TRANSLATE: these system updates to will be S-L-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-W coming out...
Old 12-13-2018, 12:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
alrose, I had the same issue after I updated last night. The only saved favorite in the built-in nav was Home, however the system still remembered my other favorites. When I tried to re-enter my work address I got an error saying that the favorite already existed.

I only spent a few minutes trying to fix it before giving up and resetting the infotanment system to "factory" state. Took about 10 minutes to re-set the system and another 15-20 to re-enter all of my settings and favorites, but it worked.

Otherwise I haven't had any issues, other than those that have been sated by others. Good luck.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Just updated mine - kind of unintentionally.

Went out this AM and had the notification icon saying an update was available. I was moving when I pressed the 'System Update' icon and got the message "can't do this while vehicle is in motion" (which is good IMO).

Did a bit of running around and when I got home went into the system update again and it was sitting at 'Step 5 of 6' (disappointed 'cause I don't know what 1-4 are ) where I had to select either 'Update Now' or 'Update when vehicle off'. (At no time had I downloaded the update. It had apparently been D/L'd overnight while connected to my home router - or - possibly via the in-car cell link but if it did there was no external indication.)

Anyhow, I selected 'Update when vehicle off', turned off the ignition and went in the house. Two hours later went out again and after the system initialized there was the 'Update Successful' message.

So far the only differences I've noticed (haven't actually looked for any) are:

1 - S/W level is now D.1.0.7
2 - Graphics for the drive mode moved from the bottom of the screen to the left
3 - Navigation scale indicator in the bottom left of the screen now shows "500 Feet" versus the previous "1/4 Mile"
4 - I had deleted 'Apple CarPlay' from the home screen since I don't use it but now it's back
5 - Arrangement of the home screen icons has changed - likely due to #3 above

I haven't had time to see of all my favorites, previous destinations, etc. are intact or not. I did have two different XM stations pinned to the home page and they are still there.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:23 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not happening
Old 12-13-2018, 01:27 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by alrouse
I had a smooth update and was about to say it is encouraging that Acura was able to accomplish the update albeit with minor fixes. But, in driving this morning, my Navigation Favorites seem to have been wiped out with the exception of "Home". Very annoying since I had built up a couple of pages. Looks like Sirius and FM Favorites are OK along with Navigation Previous and Downloaded also still there. Anybody else have this problem?
My Sirius favorites were there, but all my mixes were gone.

I did notice that the volume level now shows on the main screen when you change the volume.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
I think that "most" of us realize that this is going to be a process. It's not going to take one update but several over the course of 2019 to get these outstanding issues fixed. Anyone on this forum that thought the first update would fix "everything" is delusional and out of touch with software fixes and how they normally take place. Should any of us be in that position? NO! Acura could have and should have done a much better job prior to the release of the infotainment in the first place. Pressure to get the car to market? Yes. Would the public be ok with a few "minor" bugs? Probably. Does this exceed the definition of a "few" or "minor"...yep! But we are all in this boat together and maybe it's time to stop bitching about what we already know is wrong with the infotainment system and focus our attention elsewhere. To have people keep saying the same things over and over and over again is getting very old very fast...just my 2 cents. We have 176 posts in this thread and others and they all, pretty much, say the same thing over and over. If there is nothing new to add, then why post if you know the guy/gal before you experiences the same thing you do? Off my soap box now
The following 2 users liked this post by securityguy:
Madd Dog (12-13-2018), Midwestuser1 (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 01:59 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by fligster
Haven't seen any functionality differences. I believe the screen that displays when you change dynamic mode might be different. I think the mode used to be on the bottom, now it is on the side?

https://youtu.be/dX6R5Jen6FI
I was stopped at a (long) light and for the heck of it selected Software Update and was instantly brought to the screen shown in fligster's post. I selected "Install Now" and the screen went blank, but in about 10 minutes I was on Step 6 of 6, the system restarted and the update was done - WHILE I WAS DRIVING!! Very cool.

All together, very painless. (NOTE: I do have the in-car WiFi from AT&T)

Old 12-13-2018, 03:00 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts
I connected our RDX to our home Wi-Fi for the first time last night. The update was downloaded with the vehicle off with no problem. My only issue so far is that my custom configuration for the home screen was gone. I had to re-select favorites, then move them to the position I wanted them on the home screen.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:04 PM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by securityguy
I think that "most" of us realize that this is going to be a process. It's not going to take one update but several over the course of 2019 to get these outstanding issues fixed. Anyone on this forum that thought the first update would fix "everything" is delusional and out of touch with software fixes and how they normally take place. Should any of us be in that position? NO! Acura could have and should have done a much better job prior to the release of the infotainment in the first place. Pressure to get the car to market? Yes. Would the public be ok with a few "minor" bugs? Probably. Does this exceed the definition of a "few" or "minor"...yep! But we are all in this boat together and maybe it's time to stop bitching about what we already know is wrong with the infotainment system and focus our attention elsewhere. To have people keep saying the same things over and over and over again is getting very old very fast...just my 2 cents. We have 176 posts in this thread and others and they all, pretty much, say the same thing over and over. If there is nothing new to add, then why post if you know the guy/gal before you experiences the same thing you do? Off my soap box now
...adding to that and as a programmer myself, when you fix one bug or add another feature you can introduce another bug (or several). Virtually ALL modern devices have bugs. That's why you have "point" (maintenance) releases on an ongoing basis.

Automobile infotainment systems are relatively simple in that they have dedicated functions and applications that don't change. However, none of them are programmed in assembly language with fast, small, efficient, reliable code. Instead, they use massive libraries of bloated code written by others that consumes hundreds of megabytes to gigabytes of space even for the simplest of tasks. Building these systems involves a huge amount of resources. I'm not excusing poorly written software, but that's just the way it is and will continue to be.
The following 4 users liked this post by zroger73:
HuKaShI (12-14-2018), knakane (12-13-2018), MI-RDX (12-13-2018), securityguy (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 03:22 PM
Burning Brakes

...However, none of them are programmed in assembly language with fast, small, efficient, reliable code. Instead, they use massive libraries of bloated code written by others that consumes hundreds of megabytes to gigabytes of space even for the simplest of tasks. Building these systems involves a huge amount of resources...
C'mon now, you know you're saying that only because it's true (speaking from experience).

zroger73 (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 03:34 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
I am one of the 1.04 to 1.07 upgrades....see no issues yet and hope it stays that way. I am kind of surprised it took this long to get to this point of upgrade given it was basically already out on newer cars. I must get about 3 Netflix updates a week on my I-Phone. Wish Acura was as adept at moving these issues along. I personally have not had issues, but seems like there are some out there that could use some help.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:46 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts
Pulled into the garage last night, made sure the wifi was ready to go, but then realized that mine was already on 1.0.7.. Pretty disappointing to me because i was looking forward to see what was actually fixed. I find myself nowadays just pretending that features like CarPlay dont even exist so that i wont hear the skipping and freezing which sucks when you throw down almost $50k for a vehicle...
Old 12-13-2018, 03:58 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by EFR
I am one of the 1.04 to 1.07 upgrades....see no issues yet and hope it stays that way. I am kind of surprised it took this long to get to this point of upgrade given it was basically already out on newer cars. I must get about 3 Netflix updates a week on my I-Phone. Wish Acura was as adept at moving these issues along. I personally have not had issues, but seems like there are some out there that could use some help.
Netflix had about 137,000,000 streaming subscribers as of Q3 2018. Most of these people are paying $10/mo. bringing in over a billion dollars per year.

There were about 700,000,000 iPhones in use as of 2017. Most people tend to upgrade their iPhones more often than their vehicles. Each of these phones requires paid service for their primary function totaling some 45 billion dollars per year.

There will only be about 70,000 2019 Acura RDX's manufactured and sold in the US. The infotainment system doesn't require a subscription to operate. Honda gets small residuals from SiriusXM, HERE, AT&T, and AcuraLink subscribers that most likely total a few hundred thousand dollars per year at best.

Does this help put things into perspective?
Old 12-13-2018, 04:30 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Netflix had about 137,000,000 streaming subscribers as of Q3 2018. Most of these people are paying $10/mo. bringing in over a billion dollars per year.

There were about 700,000,000 iPhones in use as of 2017. Most people tend to upgrade their iPhones more often than their vehicles. Each of these phones requires paid service for their primary function totaling some 45 billion dollars per year.

There will only be about 70,000 2019 Acura RDX's manufactured and sold in the US. The infotainment system doesn't require a subscription to operate. Honda gets small residuals from SiriusXM, HERE, AT&T, and AcuraLink subscribers that most likely total a few hundred thousand dollars per year at best.

It does!
70,000 RDX's times $50k is what , like $3,5 billion. Should be some money there to fix a few things.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jeffro941:
oblio98 (12-13-2018), securityguy (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 04:45 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Jeffro941

It does!
70,000 RDX's times $50k is what , like $3,5 billion. Should be some money there to fix a few things.
There's a lot more profit to be made on subscription services like Netflix than durable goods like automobiles. Most of that $3.5 billion pays for the parts and labor to manufacturer the vehicle itself and fix engines and transmissions that fail under warranty. The vehicle will still look the same and drive as comfortably and carry the same amount of passengers and cargo even if the infotainment system didn't work at all. People pay Netflix for the ability to stream movies and TV shows. Most people buy vehicles primarily to get from one place to another. Very few people buy vehicles based on their infotainment systems.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:00 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Uber will get me from point to point. I was looking to upgrade my ride with a nice sound system and Android Auto navigation. I DID buy this car for the infotainment system. I'm also pretty sure Netflix and Apple have production, parts and warranty costs.

And why do I care about Netflix and Apple.... I own an RDX and an Android phone that were supposed to be integrated.
SandwichViking (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 05:00 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

They shouldn't have released a car and immediately promised a software update in June 2018. This update only fixes ONE issue of the many glitches I've experienced. Reading the 3-page PDF document on what issues are addressed with this update, I was very disappointed. Technically Honda America knowingly sold most of us defective cars. Moreover, getting any answers from Client Relations is utter frustration. Ultimately they doin't know anything. The agent told me there was no way I would receive a list of bugs and fixes addressed in the update since it is proprietary. Using logic, I asked why Microsoft, Apple, etc provide such detailed information. Logic was wasted and so was my time. They also refused to notify me of the update, saying I had to call every few days to see whether an update is available. As we all know, we received emails and links to the PDF document mentioned above.

I'm not sure I'm the only one, but my rear hatch opened 3" during the update. When I pushed the button above the license plate, the door closed. Interesting!
Old 12-13-2018, 05:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Havasubum
...I'm not sure I'm the only one, but my rear hatch opened 3" during the update. When I pushed the button above the license plate, the door closed. Interesting!
Well I know mine did not do that - a bit scary if it's actually related.

I have to correct my post above when I said my pinned XM stations were retained on the home screen - they were not. When I did a quick glance at the screen after the update I thought the XM app was one of the pinned stations since it was occupying the same location on the home screen.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:43 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
12/12/2018

Downloaded new update. NO ANDROID AUTO-VERY DISAPPOINTED! The map shows 500 ft instead of 1/4 mile. Current road is displayed along the bottom. Only driven a couple of miles since update. The download via WiFi took. About 10 minutes. Would like to know all that is included in the new update. If anyone knows where that info is, please Post here!
Old 12-13-2018, 07:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
@Royki5cp ...the search function is your friend. What you are looking for has already been posted...a few times.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:59 PM
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts
I was trying to update by USB because the Wi-Fi in my third floor condo doesn't reach the ground floor garage.
I was frustrated that the USB update is still unavailable.

I decided to go to my uncle's detached house this morning to use his Wi-Fi.

When I went to System Update, it said 'Step 6 of 6 - The update was downloaded by the In-car cellular service. Do you want to install now?'.

I selected 'Install Now (System will reboot)'
After 10 minutes or less, I got the 'system updated' message and confirmed that I changed from D1.0.4 to D1.0.7.

Surprising since I had started System Update by USB yesterday and only got to 'Step 1 of 6' loading info to USB and stopped there because the update is not at usb.acura.com as expected. The car did steps 2-5 without me.
Oh well, all's well that ends well.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:20 PM
Drifting

Same thing happened to me, as I wanted to do the usb update. But my car is hooked onto my home wifi.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:41 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
I have AT&T Mobile Hotspot Trial.

Updated it and it took less than 10 minutes. All went smoothly!
Old 12-13-2018, 11:42 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by securityguy
I've heard this song before. Each of us has the option to ignore threads and/or posts we find uninteresting, redundant, or otherwise Not Worth Our Time. The same is true of most information portals. Don't preach censorship because you can't control your mouse click finger.

Besides, with so many legitimate things to bitch about these days, it's kinda soothing to bitch about something trivial.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:29 AM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by tangible
CarPlay (like Android Auto) is designed to work across a wide variety of hardware platforms. If one car manufacturer comes up with a non-standard user interface in one of its many models, I don’t think it’s Apple’s responsibility to rewrite the code to accommodate it beyond what they’ve done, which is to get their apps to work as they do in every other car with a touchpad.

Personally, I like touchpads to work as they have for decades. The RDX concept may be better in theory, but as with QWERTY keyboards there’s a big cost to abandoning an entrenched standard.
Does a touchscreen work the same way as a trackpad? Maybe I'm missing something, but I think one of them is "absolute positioning" and the other is "relative positioning". Both are common in automotive infotainment systems, and it shouldn't be all that hard to cut-and-paste some code. Besides, from what little I know of structured programming, I wouldn't expect those routines to reside in the main program; they should be in a driver. Dunno who gets to write the driver.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:12 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't get something

Last night I clicked on my updates in the home screen to see if the update was there. It was. I never clicked to install it, I have NEVER given my car my home wireless network password, I do not have ATT cell phone service (I have Verizon) and yet this morning when I got in the car it said that the update was complete. And it was. The home screen was rearranged. How did it do the download? Not my wireless network. Not my cell phone. I don't get it???
Old 12-14-2018, 07:24 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
After the update my radio is loading a lot faster and hasn't gotten stuck on 'radio loading', but the navigation boot up really slowed down. Also it broke my USB connection. Had to reset my nav favorites. Minor changes to mode selector and the menus by the speedometer stay full size and dont zoom in when cycling through.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
Does a touchscreen work the same way as a trackpad? Maybe I'm missing something, but I think one of them is "absolute positioning" and the other is "relative positioning". Both are common in automotive infotainment systems, and it shouldn't be all that hard to cut-and-paste some code. Besides, from what little I know of structured programming, I wouldn't expect those routines to reside in the main program; they should be in a driver. Dunno who gets to write the driver.
as a programmer I would expect this to be pretty easy to get working, doesn’t really get much easier then absolute positioning, if I had access to the source and their compiling tools I could roll this out to you guys myself

Quick Reply: Over The Air (OTA) Software Update D.1.0.7