Over The Air (OTA) Software Update D.1.0.7

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 12:34 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
If it were a problem with the "electronics", they would swap out the offending module like they always do. AFAIK, no car manufacturer repairs electronics in-house.

The software problems we're talking about are frustrating, but they can't be solved until revised software is tested and released, emphasis on the TESTED. Sadly, this seems to be a long process, perhaps because Acura has outsourced to multiple suppliers, and they may not be playing nicely together.
Meanwhile we are stuck with a defective car with no consideration from AHC. When/if the word gets out we will be the victims of lowered car values due to the manufacturer's incompetence.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:00 AM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
What I have noticed in reading the threads is that Apple Carplayi Auto is an issue in the RDX. Once people use Apple Carplay in their vehicle they tend to start having issue with the infotainment in the RDX. I would suggest that users not use Apple Carplay until the issues are resolved as it appears that Apple Carplay creates additional issues inthe infortainment system. this is just my observation while reading threads in the forum.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:09 AM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts
I use Car Play exclusively and have no problems because of Car Play. I just give the system time to boot up before plugging in anything and driving off. When that is done errors are far and few. I treat the system like a computer when booting up and shutting down.
The following users liked this post:
securityguy (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 07:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 191 Posts
I had one freeze up before the software update, and none since the update. I use CarPlay a lot and have had zero problems with my entertainment system. One thing I did do is turn on development mode and enable a specific setting that will let me know of any android process freezes or hangs, and I can choose to wait or essentially kill and restart the app. I have had it pop up maybe 2 times on me and I restart the app and go on my merry way. This can be done by turning on development mode by going into about and clicking the build information 7x in a row. Then in development settings click:
  • Show all ANRs: This setting makes every process show an "App Not Responding" dialog if it gets hung — even background processes that the user did not start. Useful if one application is interfering with another.
I also sped up animations so that the screens switch quicker which looks really nice. I am going to see if I can get into ADB and perform 3rd party app installs and perhaps do some modding. We will see what Acura/Honda left unsecured for us 😎
The following 4 users liked this post by Dereileak:
Marino Moutafis (01-23-2019), MI-RDX (01-21-2019), securityguy (01-21-2019), subin (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 08:31 AM
Pro

What did you click on to make the screen change faster?
Old 01-21-2019, 08:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kboo74656
What did you click on to make the screen change faster?
so go to system, about, click build 7x, or more then the developer options will show up below, and set to these settings for faster screen animations. Also turn on all ANRs which will let you restart an app if it hangs or crashes, including system apps that may freeze the system up

The following 5 users liked this post by Dereileak:
billyt1963 (01-21-2019), MI-RDX (01-21-2019), NooYawkuh (01-22-2019), quantum7 (01-21-2019), TheLevelOne (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 09:06 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Cazman

Dont buy the RDX unless you want to be agrevated every day you drive it. The customer service of American Honda is atrocious. For instance, ask the dealer if the regional manager will meet with you if you have problems (which I guarantee you will have). Their response will be “no, you need to call the 800 number to file a complaint with AH customer service”. That will result in NO action whatsoever. The dealers will try to fix your car but they don’t have solutions to the many problems you will have. If you have masochistic tendencies you will really like owning a 2019 RDX.
Along this line.....So I contacted the dealer regarding my issue. The dealer agreed it was a valid concern but they couldn't help me. They recommended I call the AH customer service 800 number. I did that. They indicated there was nothing they could do, but recommended I send a letter to Acura Client Relations. So I promply sent a letter to Acura Client Relations about a month ago. I included my phone number, mailing address, email and even fax number on the letter. No response whatsoever from them. I guess it got lost in the mail!
Havasubum (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 10:05 AM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by beancount1
Along this line.....So I contacted the dealer regarding my issue. The dealer agreed it was a valid concern but they couldn't help me. They recommended I call the AH customer service 800 number. I did that. They indicated there was nothing they could do, but recommended I send a letter to Acura Client Relations. So I promply sent a letter to Acura Client Relations about a month ago. I included my phone number, mailing address, email and even fax number on the letter. No response whatsoever from them. I guess it got lost in the mail!
Having been in marketing, client support, etc. for a large IT software company good customer service should follow something like this as it pertains to our vehicles:

The Service Advisor should never say there is nothing we can do and attempt to get out of the loop. Yes there is something he/she can do! Granted if it appears that there is a software issue with say the infotainment system it is true that there are not coders sitting in a corner of the service department churning out software patches. But if they view themselves as Level 1 support for a demonstrated problem that is not able to be repaired in the shop, they should be able to assign a ticket number to the customer, escalate the problem to a Level 2 function within Acura, check for status, contact the customer on ticket status changes as it makes sense, etc. The customer should not have to open a ticket with what I call a Level 2 in Client Relations, but can be able to get online and annotate the ticket with more information that the Service Advisor may not have provided and also see status. An acceptable answer to a point from Level 2 is that the problem is known, in the queue for a fix, and targeted to be incorporated in a future release of software. Any software company worth their salt and values current customers has a similar process to this. These vehicles are becoming more and more software engineered, so they need to use tried and tested processes that software houses use when it comes to customer support. Client Relations should be a place to go if you feel that you are not being valued as a customer, not as a place to report problem tickets. End of rant!
Old 01-21-2019, 10:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gtssenior
Having been in marketing, client support, etc. for a large IT software company good customer service should follow something like this as it pertains to our vehicles:

The Service Advisor should never say there is nothing we can do and attempt to get out of the loop. Yes there is something he/she can do! Granted if it appears that there is a software issue with say the infotainment system it is true that there are not coders sitting in a corner of the service department churning out software patches. But if they view themselves as Level 1 support for a demonstrated problem that is not able to be repaired in the shop, they should be able to assign a ticket number to the customer, escalate the problem to a Level 2 function within Acura, check for status, contact the customer on ticket status changes as it makes sense, etc. The customer should not have to open a ticket with what I call a Level 2 in Client Relations, but can be able to get online and annotate the ticket with more information that the Service Advisor may not have provided and also see status. An acceptable answer to a point from Level 2 is that the problem is known, in the queue for a fix, and targeted to be incorporated in a future release of software. Any software company worth their salt and values current customers has a similar process to this. These vehicles are becoming more and more software engineered, so they need to use tried and tested processes that software houses use when it comes to customer support. Client Relations should be a place to go if you feel that you are not being valued as a customer, not as a place to report problem tickets. End of rant!
Acura's client relations is a different animal. I have called no less than 15 times. I've been promised things that never happened and have never received an accurate answer to any of my questions. This forum seems to be the best source, which is sad. I have foolishly purchased this AHC car after bad experiences with other AHC cars I've owned. My experience so far just verifies my prior observations. Two problems with my 2008 CRV demonstrates the ONLY way AHC responds to customer's needs. I had 2 electric door locks fail out of warranty and paid the dealership to repair the car for about $700. I received notification that AHC would reimburse all owners who had door lock problems. Secondly, I received a letter extending my warranty to 100k miles for the A/C system. Both times were the result of class action lawsuits. AHC knew the door locks and A/C were problematic, but would not accept responsibility until they were sued.

This is a far cry from how Toyota and even GM handles these situations. For example, I owned a 2003 GMC 3/4 ton diesel 4X4 pickup that was 2 years out of warranty. The transfer case began leaking. There was a hole in the side of the case. The GM-Trucks forum indicated it was a common problem. The local dealer replaced the case and updated the offending internal part that caused it to happen to the tune of $1800. The service manager went to bat for me and had GM pay for 1/2 of the repair. That is how a car company should act, not this hard ball crap that is going on with AHC that requires lawsuits for them to "do the right thing". End of my rant.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:36 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Dereileak

so go to system, about, click build 7x, or more then the developer options will show up below, and set to these settings for faster screen animations. Also turn on all ANRs which will let you restart an app if it hangs or crashes, including system apps that may freeze the system up

Thanks that worked like a charm!!!
Old 01-21-2019, 01:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kboo74656

Thanks that worked like a charm!!!
if you had freezing issues before let us know if this helps resolve some of it since you can now tell the app to restart it if misbehaves instead of waiting on the OS to decide
Old 01-21-2019, 03:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Went to dealer today to have them check the usb... of course they blamed the usb drive, never mind that I didn’t have issues prior to the update and that I am having this issue with every usb drive that I have tried.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:38 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by Havasubum
When/if the word gets out we will be the victims of lowered car values due to the manufacturer's incompetence.
For better or worse, all the bitching on Piloteers about the flakey 9-speed transmission doesn't seem to have dented Honda's sales, and I got good trade-in value for my 2016 Pilot Touring after bad-mouthing it for 3 years and almost 80k miles.

Hopefully Acura will get its act together and get this stuff ironed out. Eventually.

But if you really can't take it anymore, supply of this car may still be constrained, and you could probably get decent value for a trade. But what to trade for that will drive as well without costing twice as much?
Old 01-21-2019, 05:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wander
For better or worse, all the bitching on Piloteers about the flakey 9-speed transmission doesn't seem to have dented Honda's sales, and I got good trade-in value for my 2016 Pilot Touring after bad-mouthing it for 3 years and almost 80k miles.

Hopefully Acura will get its act together and get this stuff ironed out. Eventually.

But if you really can't take it anymore, supply of this car may still be constrained, and you could probably get decent value for a trade. But what to trade for that will drive as well without costing twice as much?
So, I should throw away thousands because of an ineffective company, leaving all of us who are honest with the problems hung out to dry? Second question: How long do you want to drive a defective car? AHC screwed owners several years ago with a crappy transmission, taking a significant amount of time to remedy the situation. Dropping in reliability ratings should be a wake up call...or not.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 294 Posts
So, I should throw away thousands because of an ineffective company, leaving all of us who are honest with the problems hung out to dry? Second question: How long do you want to drive a defective car? AHC screwed owners several years ago with a crappy transmission, taking a significant amount of time to remedy the situation. Dropping in reliability ratings should be a wake up call...or not.
Dropping in reliability ratings doesn't matter. What matters is sales. If you can increase revenue and profit while reducing reliability, so be it!

In a race to the bottom, a company just has to make sure it isn't in last place. Tell me one area of the economy where people are happy with the reliability of products. This is the reality of the new economy.

- Build as quickly as you can and with as few resources, even if what you build is completely broken. If you are building something reliable, you are at a disadvantage to your competitors.
- Use financial engineering and fancy incentives to lure customers.
- Cheat until you get caught, because it's cheaper to pay the fine than to not cheat. Hire a chief ethics officer to help make sure you're not cheating "too much". (Why else would you need a chief ethics officer?)
- Use the money to lobby politicians so you can keep cheating with no accountability.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:27 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by acelow
Went to dealer today to have them check the usb... of course they blamed the usb drive, never mind that I didn’t have issues prior to the update and that I am having this issue with every usb drive that I have tried.
Mine worked fine before the update. Now I have to unplug and re-plug the USB everytime. We tried it on a dealer car without the update and again after the update and it did the same thing. So now we're left waiting for the next update. Also having similar problems with FM radio stations not loading after the update.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:58 PM
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

if you had freezing issues before let us know if this helps resolve some of it since you can now tell the app to restart it if misbehaves instead of waiting on the OS to decide
That looks like an Android system to me. It's amazing that one Android system cannot to talk to another (your phone) to make Android Auto work. Just amazing. And sad.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:57 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by samiam_68
That looks like an Android system to me.
It is.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:31 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
the 2019 RDX Advance Software Update D.1.0.7 of mid Dec. 2018 did nothing that helped the bugs or add in basic features missing in the infotainment system. All it did was to bring the cars sold prior to October 2018 to the version newer RDX’s were. Hopefully in early 2019 Acura will put out a genuine Software fix we all have demanded. I agree that mechanically I love the ride & most features the 2019 RDX Advanced had, with exception of infotainment system. Besides the tremendous # of bugs & or quirks, to think it OK to design a NAV system with no way to name a destination’s address is outlandish. My $150 Tom Tom & Garmin from the 90’s had this very basic functionally. Also, not providing the ability to drag destination & phone favorites back or forward means the designers missed the mark, a HUGH mistake!!! If this is their latest & greatest, they need to WAKE UP!! Does anyone else feel like they are part of a “Beta Test” they did not sign up for when shelling out nearly $50k?
Havasubum (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 04:56 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
The 2008 car with built-in nav that this replaced had the ability to name destinations, and to zoom in and out. It also allowed me to mute and unmute at will, without messing around with trying to change the volume when directions were spoken.

Other than as a scrolling map, this nav is near useless.

But with Carplay, I have access to good nav.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mark S Long Island
the 2019 RDX Advance Software Update D.1.0.7 of mid Dec. 2018 did nothing that helped the bugs or add in basic features missing in the infotainment system. All it did was to bring the cars sold prior to October 2018 to the version newer RDX’s were. Hopefully in early 2019 Acura will put out a genuine Software fix we all have demanded. I agree that mechanically I love the ride & most features the 2019 RDX Advanced had, with exception of infotainment system. Besides the tremendous # of bugs & or quirks, to think it OK to design a NAV system with no way to name a destination’s address is outlandish. My $150 Tom Tom & Garmin from the 90’s had this very basic functionally. Also, not providing the ability to drag destination & phone favorites back or forward means the designers missed the mark, a HUGH mistake!!! If this is their latest & greatest, they need to WAKE UP!! Does anyone else feel like they are part of a “Beta Test” they did not sign up for when shelling out nearly $50k?
Wow! For a minute I thought I wrote this. Not only is the Navi system inferior to a 2001 Garmin, the back up camera is so cheap, it looks like someone smeared vaseline on the camera lens. And, the Real Time traffic function via a FM signal stinks. XM/Sirius offered a much better product on the 2018 RDX. BTW, I've tried both Apple and Google maps. The Real Time traffic is useless.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:35 AM
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
I've tried both Apple and Google maps. The Real Time traffic is useless.
Waze on CarPlay does a wonderful job of finding the fastest route. Although it’s owned by Google, the routing approach is completely different, relying on the actual experience of other users. It’s very good at providing information about police officers on the road ahead, which is great because you never know when you’ll need assistance from them.

As carplay and android auto become more pervasive, I think we’re going to see manufacturers put less emphasis on good nav systems, knowing they’re not going to be as heavily used as in the past.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:37 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by tangible

Waze on CarPlay does a wonderful job of finding the fastest route. Although it’s owned by Google, the routing approach is completely different, relying on the actual experience of other users. It’s very good at providing information about police officers on the road ahead, which is great because you never know when you’ll need assistance from them.

As carplay and android auto become more pervasive, I think we’re going to see manufacturers put less emphasis on good nav systems, knowing they’re not going to be as heavily used as in the past.
That's all fine but I paid $40K+ for the RDX with the technology package to get a functional and expected first rate navigation system. It's certainly anything but that with all it's limitations and issues (repeatedly addressed in this forum). Appears to me that Acura cut some corners to reduce cost on this system. Sure I could plug in my iphone and use carplay but I shouldn't have to.
Havasubum (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 10:22 AM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
Angry

Wow! For a minute I thought I wrote this. Not only is the Navi system inferior to a 2001 Garmin, the back up camera is so cheap, it looks like someone smeared vaseline on the camera lens. And, the Real Time traffic function via a FM signal stinks. XM/Sirius offered a much better product on the 2018 RDX. BTW, I've tried both Apple and Google maps. The Real Time traffic is useless.
Speaking of "Real Time" traffic, once again the wonderful system led me into a traffic jam that extended my drive to work by thirty minutes. Even though there were plenty of detours it could have suggested, it did not notify me of any of them.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Meto
Speaking of "Real Time" traffic, once again the wonderful system led me into a traffic jam that extended my drive to work by thirty minutes. Even though there were plenty of detours it could have suggested, it did not notify me of any of them.
What I have found is that the colors red, yellow, green denoting traffic flow is either nonexistent or doesn't represent traffic flow like the satellite based Navi in the 2016 Equinox I sold to buy the RDX. Real Time traffic uses FM radio data and commonly fades in and out even in urban areas. AHC's answer is that the signal is weak where I'm driving. I haven't found a "strong" signal yet.. The salesman did not explain this, and I challenge anyone to find this info in the owner's manuals. AHC appears to intensionally hide it. There is one member here who found the info in his $400 shop manual.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:01 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are any updates available in Canada yet? Everytime I try and update it says nothing available....car is from July.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:53 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by beancount1
That's all fine but I paid $40K+ for the RDX with the technology package to get a functional and expected first rate navigation system. It's certainly anything but that with all it's limitations and issues (repeatedly addressed in this forum). Appears to me that Acura cut some corners to reduce cost on this system. Sure I could plug in my iphone and use carplay but I shouldn't have to.
I'd like to be able to plug my phone in and use Google maps...oh right, I have an Android phone........

(Is it too soon after my buying it to complain about the lack of Android Auto? Some of you have been waiting a lot longer, should I get in line?) ;-)
Jecka (01-25-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 08:59 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Any of Canadian here know why this update not coming for Canadian version?

Last edited by Yotrek; 01-24-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:02 AM
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by JB in AZ
(Is it too soon after my buying it to complain about the lack of Android Auto? Some of you have been waiting a lot longer, should I get in line?) ;-)
What we’re buying these days isn’t a car; it’s a computer on wheels. As such, we need to apply the hard-earned lessons of that industry:

- Evaluate any potential purchase based on what’s currently shipping, because “real soon now” may never come.

- Be prepared for every OTA fix to include many features you don’t care about, be missing many that you do, and to break something that’s already working.

billyt1963 (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 09:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by tangible
What we’re buying these days isn’t a car; it’s a computer on wheels...
Old 01-25-2019, 10:05 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
EXCELLENT! I hope you don't mind me sharing that image on anther forum!
Old 01-25-2019, 10:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by JB in AZ
EXCELLENT! I hope you don't mind me sharing that image on anther forum!
No problem. Where do you think I got it from?
JB in AZ (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 10:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
hey, MS Windows operating system for PC was a horror show, yet it made Microsoft into the tech giant it is today. Users complaint, bitch, but sales still keep going up.

But this isn't a $150 OS and we have a choice. Vendors will not care if money keeps pouring in. The way Acura (or any manufacturer) looks all of this as a number game.

For every whiner, complainers, on this forum, they are selling double, triple of customers who couldn't care less of these issues, don't complain, accept flaws and will probably lease another vehicle in 3 years.... Look how long Toyota took to admit they have air bag problems? All the recalls didn't happen until poor souls die and sued. There are no incentive for them to fix these issues until it's too late (take lessons from American car companies) . Vote change with your money, take the business somewhere else.

Last edited by acuraada; 01-25-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:21 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Canadian Update

Originally Posted by Yotrek
Any of Canadian here know why this update not coming for Canadian version?
I noticed that also. It seems that we have not got the update at all. I can only suspect that any update to a Motor Vehicle requires some form of Government Approval which has not been obtained in Canada yet?
Old 01-27-2019, 10:44 PM
Cruisin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DHood
I noticed that also. It seems that we have not got the update at all. I can only suspect that any update to a Motor Vehicle requires some form of Government Approval which has not been obtained in Canada yet?
I'm in Canada and i have the D.1.0.7 december version installed in my car
Bought my car on december 26 2018.
DHood (01-28-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 11:02 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Well, as with most nostalgic memories, the reality may be slightly different. VW bugs weren't exactly problem free at the time. IIRC they were rather notorious for overheating and blowing head gaskets. But on the plus side, they float. For a while.

Back to previously scheduled programming.
zroger73 (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 08:46 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Late August Purchase

Originally Posted by BiOs2k
I made my purchase late August. I keep checking the Version Number and look for updates but nothing has been made available yet.
The good news is that I am having virtually no problems with my system so far (touch wood). lol
Old 01-28-2019, 10:21 AM
Gen3 RDX Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had one freeze up before the software update, and none since the update. I use CarPlay a lot and have had zero problems with my entertainment system. One thing I did do is turn on development mode and enable a specific setting that will let me know of any android process freezes or hangs, and I can choose to wait or essentially kill and restart the app. I have had it pop up maybe 2 times on me and I restart the app and go on my merry way. This can be done by turning on development mode by going into about and clicking the build information 7x in a row. Then in development settings click:
  • Show all ANRs: This setting makes every process show an "App Not Responding" dialog if it gets hung — even background processes that the user did not start. Useful if one application is interfering with another.
I also sped up animations so that the screens switch quicker which looks really nice. I am going to see if I can get into ADB and perform 3rd party app installs and perhaps do some modding. We will see what Acura/Honda left unsecured for us 😎
Hahahaha finally found somebody's thinking what I'm thinking about. Android 5.1.1 is way dated, I hope somebody could develop some customized ROM for this. I believe you need to open the central console to plug in some cables to do ADB installation tho, be careful lol.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:23 AM
Gen3 RDX Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BiOs2k
What I got mine on Dec 21 in Toronto and still have 1.0.4 running. "No updates available" when checked for updates.

What's the manufactured date of yours? I believe mine is in October.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:19 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
That's great....but...let's also be realistic. We can also include:

No safety
No comfort
No convenience
No performance
But tons of maintenance just to keep it running. You know, carburetors, points, rotors, distributor caps, spark plug wires, etc...

Quick Reply: Over The Air (OTA) Software Update D.1.0.7