One Year Reports - Let's hear them and your miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 08:00 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
Smile One Year Reports - Let's hear them and your miles

Tomorrow it will be one year since I picked up my Red A-SPEC. I have put over 20,000 miles on it and one the whole I have been very happy with the car. Of course I've had Infotainment issues, and the first upgrade was HORRIBLE, but the current version is pretty good for me. I have used Apple Play quite a bit, as well as 5.1 .flacs on USB and despite the occasional screech in the middle of a tune now and then (a lot less frequent than earlier versions), it's behaving fairly well. No need for resets, 3 finger reboots, or battery disconnects.

I have not had "limp mode" issues in my 20,000 miles and I have driven many times on the highway in the rain. I am a fairly aggressive driver and the car has never failed me. I have used MidGrade gas most of the time. If the station only has Reg and Premium, I use Premium. Tire wear on my Michelin's (aftermarket) has been good, and I've had the car in for all of it's scheduled service.

I hated the Acuralink App so I got the remote starter option and that's made me much happier, especially last winter.

So, despite all of the negativity around these parts, I've been pretty lucky.

Now - How about the rest of you one-year owners. Let's hear it!

Last edited by oblio98; 06-28-2019 at 08:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by oblio98:
Buster19 (06-29-2019), quantum7 (06-29-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 08:07 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
I have not had my A-Spec one year yet but I have had it 3 months. I have had to take it in twice for infotainment freeze but other than that this machine is amazing. I have 1,800 miles so far.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:14 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I've had my RDX w/ Tech for...4 months now. My only gripe is that Android Auto still isn't here.

The only issue I've had is my GPS not being able to refresh the actual location of my car until after I've shut it off, opened the driver door, and closed it at a red light.
This has only happened once, and not when GPS direction actually mattered.

Everything else - I love. I still sneak a lot of peeks at my car when I leave her parked somewhere. I still smile every time I step on the gas a little harder to pass someone.
I'm still excited when I get on a long curved highway ramp and I give it a little push. I even make detours to back roads instead of the highway, just because I want to be in the car longer and I want to have a little more fun.
Sure, the car has some bugs in the infotainment, and is still somehow lacking Android Auto - but I never really find myself caring enough about it. At the end of nearly all my drives, I think to myself, "wow I love my car".

I came from a 2016 4 Cyl. Accord and I never had a lead foot. The RDX has given me a full blown case of it.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:54 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
23000 miles. No trips to the dealer outside maintenance. Small nuisances with the infotainment. Tailgate moans. Planning to get that addressed this month. Dented quarter panel 2 weeks after I took it home. Still haven’t fixed that. Happy with it so far!
The following users liked this post:
oblio98 (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 10:20 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2019 Advance with 22,000 miles. I still turn around after parking the car to look at it. I love the sound system and the seats are phenomenal. Transmission is rough at times, then other times it’s smooth as butter. The tailgate moans occasionally and it vibrates like mad at a cold start up. I’ve had limp mode happen 5 times so far and I’m still in a lawsuit with Acura over it. But honestly I would buy another one after this lawsuit. The car is so worth it.
oblio98 (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 10:21 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by KK689
2019 Advance with 22,000 miles. I still turn around after parking the car to look at it. I love the sound system and the seats are phenomenal. Transmission is rough at times, then other times it’s smooth as butter. I’ve had limp mode happen 5 times so far and I’m still in a lawsuit with Acura over it. But honestly I would buy another one after this lawsuit. The car is so worth it.
FIVE TIMES!!!! YIKES
Old 06-28-2019, 10:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by oblio98
FIVE TIMES!!!! YIKES
Tell me about it. I just don’t drive the car anymore when going out of town. I usually rent a car. Take a look at the limp mode thread lol I’ve somewhat documented my experiences
Old 06-29-2019, 10:02 AM
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts
My car was one year old on June 5th. 12,000 miles.
its been excellent and the best car I’ve ever owned.
Two minor irritants are the groaning tailgate and the Nav being out of date.
I did the June and October 2018 Nav updates before they were withdrawn but, it is still out of date.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:37 AM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is tailgate moaning? I am going to pull the trigger on a new RDX this week, but I would like to know what this is. Thanks
Old 06-29-2019, 10:46 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Coming up on 10 months and 1800 miles...yes...1800.
Infotainment hiccuped once...everything else works great and love driving the car....just not too much! Figure my first oil change will be due around 2021.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 294 Posts
I'm not at 1 year yet. At about 9 months I have 6500 miles on my Tech AWD. No major problems. Like the car overall. Many things could be better, but that's true for any car. Perhaps my biggest surprise is how noisy the car is. I don't know if it's just the tires or very poor sound insulation. Getting an Advance with acoustic side glass might help. Other surprise was how weak the audio system is in the rear, despite being an upgrade from the base version.

Originally Posted by sprintrps
What is tailgate moaning? I am going to pull the trigger on a new RDX this week, but I would like to know what this is. Thanks
Some of the earlier RDX's would make a very loud noise while closing. That problem has been solved, so you shouldn't have that problem with a new one. If it happens on an old one, I think there's a service bulletin for it. I had it a few times. I mentioned it to the dealer at my first service. They changed the springs. Hopefully it won't happen again.

Last edited by anoop; 06-29-2019 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by sprintrps
In the Problems and Fixes threads....

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...-sound-971052/
Old 06-29-2019, 02:56 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
i will hit 1 year next month. The only problem i've come across is sometimes apple carplay gives me problems.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:41 PM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by PAPI007
I have not had my A-Spec one year yet but I have had it 3 months.
Originally Posted by al28
I've had my RDX w/ Tech for...4 months now.
Originally Posted by EFR
Coming up on 10 months
Originally Posted by anoop
I'm not at 1 year yet.
Originally Posted by gokhanturk
i will hit 1 year next month.
Cheater, cheater, cheater, cheater, cheater. The OP asked for feedback from those who've had the car 12 MONTHS. I've only had mine 1.5 months, so I'm a cheater too.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:49 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
11 months here, but I’ll wait.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:51 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Same here. Outside of a couple rattles I found myself, the infotainment mess is all.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:58 PM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Bought it about 2 days after it came out. At more than 15k. No android and cannot use GPS. It keeps dying every times I entered address. My excitement wanes day by day, probably ends up in carmax some day
Old 06-29-2019, 08:21 PM
10th Gear

2019 Advance with 22,000 miles. I still turn around after parking the car to look at it. I love the sound system and the seats are phenomenal. Transmission is rough at times, then other times it’s smooth as butter. The tailgate moans occasionally and it vibrates like mad at a cold start up. I’ve had limp mode happen 5 times so far and I’m still in a lawsuit with Acura over it. But honestly I would buy another one after this lawsuit. The car is so worth it.
Seriously, why would you buy another one after having that dangerous problem over and over again, not have a fix for it and have to file suit??? I'll tell ya, I had a '05 Cadillac CTS that had an ignition problem where I couldn't the key out of Accessory position and therefore couldn't get the key out. Happened over and over, they couldn't recreate it and they wouldn't start replacing things if they couldn't recreate it, blah blah, same experience as yours. I finally screamed and they had a Tech take it over the weekend...it happened...they replaced something and it worked OK for another two years. Then, IT HAPPENED AGAIN. I lived in a different state by that time, different dealer, but told them what was needed to fix it. They wouldn't do it, saying obviously it didn't fix the problem. (Meanwhile I found all kinds of examples of the same thing on the internet, but somehow it wasn't in their database.) Thank GOD the lease was almost up. That experience and the way I was treated has soured me on Cadillacs. That's why it's so shocking to me that you would consider another RDX after all this...just sayin'. It's actually made ME consider not getting another RDX when my lease is up in two months.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:35 PM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
11 months here, but I’ll wait.
Good Dog!
Old 06-29-2019, 08:42 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by AnnetteFL
Seriously, why would you buy another one after having that dangerous problem over and over again, not have a fix for it and have to file suit??? I'll tell ya, I had a '05 Cadillac CTS that had an ignition problem where I couldn't the key out of Accessory position and therefore couldn't get the key out. Happened over and over, they couldn't recreate it and they wouldn't start replacing things if they couldn't recreate it, blah blah, same experience as yours. I finally screamed and they had a Tech take it over the weekend...it happened...they replaced something and it worked OK for another two years. Then, IT HAPPENED AGAIN. I lived in a different state by that time, different dealer, but told them what was needed to fix it. They wouldn't do it, saying obviously it didn't fix the problem. (Meanwhile I found all kinds of examples of the same thing on the internet, but somehow it wasn't in their database.) Thank GOD the lease was almost up. That experience and the way I was treated has soured me on Cadillacs. That's why it's so shocking to me that you would consider another RDX after all this...just sayin'. It's actually made ME consider not getting another RDX when my lease is up in two months.
I get it I get it. I really have no clue what car to replace this car with. I really like this car but I most likely won’t buy another unless Acura announces some fix for the limp mode issue. I’m hoping the TLX replacement comes sooner than later
Old 06-29-2019, 09:56 PM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
Get an RDX.
Old 06-30-2019, 12:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

I get it I get it. I really have no clue what car to replace this car with. I really like this car but I most likely won’t buy another unless Acura announces some fix for the limp mode issue. I’m hoping the TLX replacement comes sooner than later
Maybe you could go for something better tested like the MDX although it costs quite a bit more.

If I were in the market today, I would be tempted to look at the face-lifted 2020 GLC (looks great inside and out, has more power and more standard equipment as compared to the 2019) lightly equipped.
https://www.edmunds.com/mercedes-benz/glc-class/2020/

There's nothing wrong with getting another RDX (there's always a few bad ones from every make), but my main concern would be how Acura treated you through the process. Fortunately, I have not had any such issues, but if I did, I would likely not have the energy to go to court to get what I think would be reasonable treatment. When I bought a 2014 3 series, it has some ongoing suspension issues that just wouldn't get resolved. Ultimately, I requested BMW to buy the car back and they did. I turned around and bought a 2015 and that had no problems. But if BMW hadn't treated me well, I would not have bought another car from them.
Old 06-30-2019, 12:54 AM
10th Gear

Maybe you could go for something better tested like the MDX although it costs quite a bit more.

If I were in the market today, I would be tempted to look at the face-lifted 2020 GLC (looks great inside and out, has more power and more standard equipment as compared to the 2019) lightly equipped.

There's nothing wrong with getting another RDX (there's always a few bad ones from every make), but my main concern would be how Acura treated you through the process. Fortunately, I have not had any such issues, but if I did, I would likely not have the energy to go to court to get what I think would be reasonable treatment. When I bought a 2014 3 series, it has some ongoing suspension issues that just wouldn't get resolved. Ultimately, I requested BMW to buy the car back and they did. I turned around and bought a 2015 and that had no problems. But if BMW hadn't treated me well, I would not have bought another car from them.
Right, I didn't mention in my post above about how Cadillac treated me, but I compare it to the way I was treated by BMW when I was unhappy with my 328xi. They let me out of my lease, as I was wanting to get one with a bigger engine. The Regional Manager had taken a test-drive with me in the 328 and, while not admitting anything was wrong with the car, said, "The bottom line is, we want you to be happy with your car". I never forgot that. They treated me as a "luxury-level" customer. Cadillac just treated me like every other GM customer. I'd get another Beemer in a heartbeat if I liked their SUVs....which I don't.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:45 AM
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
Will be 13 months of ownership bliss this coming week with 19,500 miles. Other than the slow loading infotainment system issue, everything has been great and love the vehicle.
Personally, the RDX has boosted my testosterone by 20%, caused my wife to wear skinny jeans with low cut blouses and new sunglasses and we both crank the volume up when we hear favorite songs way more than we used to. Steppenwolf’s “Magic Carpet Ride” and “Born to be Wild” come to mind.
A lot of smiles per mile with the RDX!
The following 2 users liked this post by Outfitter:
B25Nut (07-01-2019), oblio98 (07-03-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 09:47 AM
Advanced

Wow, I’m actually impressed by the treatment you received from BMW. Every step of this process... even when I was still talking to Acura customer service without a lawyer was horrible. I didn’t realize how “nice” the experience could be. I drive 20K+ miles a year and I am a little worried about German reliability. Although I guess I could always buy an extended warranty from MB. The GLC is nice and I wouldn’t mind looking at it.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:58 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,415 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Wow, I’m actually impressed by the treatment you received from BMW. Every step of this process... even when I was still talking to Acura customer service without a lawyer was horrible. I didn’t realize how “nice” the experience could be. I drive 20K+ miles a year and I am a little worried about German reliability. Although I guess I could always buy an extended warranty from MB. The GLC is nice and I wouldn’t mind looking at it.
Yes, that level of treatment is par for the course from BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus. That’s one of my main gripes about Acura; they pretend to be luxury, but they treat you like you’re a regular ol’ Honda customer. These little things matter, especially when things go wrong and customers are frustrated. It’s almost as if Acura doesn’t care about customer retention, but I guess maybe they also see themselves as a stepping-stone for customers aspiring to move on to a true luxury brand.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:14 AM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Yes, that level of treatment is par for the course from BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus. That’s one of my main gripes about Acura; they pretend to be luxury, but they treat you like you’re a regular ol’ Honda customer. These little things matter, especially when things go wrong and customers are frustrated. It’s almost as if Acura doesn’t care about customer retention, but I guess maybe they also see themselves as a stepping-stone for customers aspiring to move on to a true luxury brand.
Every consumer is different. There are people who think that getting a luxury car means being treated differently. There are others who don't. As anyone who works with customers on any level can tell you, everyone comes in with a built-in expectation and then decides whether something was good or bad by how it met their own individual expectation. My expectation of a car company is solely that it provides me with a good vehicle and then that's the end of it. I've never purchased a BMW or a Mercedes or even a Lexus, but I would say that at least for BMW and Mercedes you're paying quite a bit more for being treated specially. I'd rather pay less and just be treated the same as if I was at a Honda dealership. I also don't actually know what you guys are expecting in terms of "special treatment." I mean, $50,000 is not cheap, but it's also not actually that expensive in the car world. If you bought a Rolls Royce, yeah, then I'd expect special treatment (which they do provide).
Old 06-30-2019, 10:28 AM
Drifting

My BMW was very reliable, and I had it for 11 years. It was very expensive to service. I am talking very expensive, and I didn’t even use the dealer. I used an independent BMW specialist.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:58 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,415 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by DriverOne
Every consumer is different. There are people who think that getting a luxury car means being treated differently. There are others who don't. As anyone who works with customers on any level can tell you, everyone comes in with a built-in expectation and then decides whether something was good or bad by how it met their own individual expectation. My expectation of a car company is solely that it provides me with a good vehicle and then that's the end of it. I've never purchased a BMW or a Mercedes or even a Lexus, but I would say that at least for BMW and Mercedes you're paying quite a bit more for being treated specially. I'd rather pay less and just be treated the same as if I was at a Honda dealership. I also don't actually know what you guys are expecting in terms of "special treatment." I mean, $50,000 is not cheap, but it's also not actually that expensive in the car world. If you bought a Rolls Royce, yeah, then I'd expect special treatment (which they do provide).
Special = beyond what you would get from a mainstream brand. If you’re advertising and billing yourself as a competitor to other luxury automakers, your customer experience should be comparable as well. This doesn’t mean being waited on hand and foot, but when they charge for loaners and aren’t responsive at all to complaints or issues, that’s a problem. That’s an experience I’d expect from Kia or Dodge, not a premium (let alone luxury) automaker.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

How long do you normally keep your cars?

At the time I owned the BMW (a 328i sedan), I was driving 20k+ miles a year as well. Now I drive much less. I bought an extended warranty AND maintenance out to 5 yr/100k miles. I had planned to replace it just before hitting 100K miles. The combined cost for the two was around $4500, so the only thing I had to pay for out of pocket was tires. I had to shop around though. The local dealers wanted almost 80% more for the exact same plans. At the time I was less worried about maintenance cost and more about having fun. I was strongly considering an A4 manual as my next ride.

I sold the car at 90K miles because of some back issues that warranted getting into an SUV with comfortable seats (BMW's seats leave a lot to be desired in that dept, but Mercedes is pretty decent, dare I say even better than the Acura). But because of back issues, I didn't have time to shop and the Acura seemed easy to shop for (no plethora of options to pick from and request a build-to-order), inexpensive (both to buy and maintain), and a safe choice (I wrongly thought they were known for reliability, remembering ratings from 10+ years ago). So far, I am reasonably happy with the choice and fortunately I have not had any significant issues with it. I also don't drive as much as I used to because of the back issues. I just use the car as basic transportation for around town and don't even drive enthusiastically anymore. But on occasion when I drive in hilly terrain, I do miss the responsiveness of BMW's engine.

Last edited by anoop; 06-30-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:49 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
6000km in. No infotainment issues. No limp mode. I did have the weird suspension sound going over bumps. I brought it to the dealer and they fixed it no problem. Overall I have been super happy with my purchase. Tons of compliments and have had another friend even buy one himself.
oblio98 (07-03-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 08:58 AM
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 137 Posts
Indeed, I had a early TL but can't remember the year but it was maybe 2005 or so, My dealership experience back then with even the smallest issue was dealt with and resolved quickly. All the people in the service and sales department were genuinely eager to carry on a conversation with you. Now when I go to the dealer (Different than the first) its like news to them regarding the infotainment issues and not very personable at all not to mention they seem clueless about the product. Go figure
Old 07-01-2019, 10:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I've had mine just over a year. Right at 15K miles on it. Been to the dealership only once for A1 service. Only complaints so far is the buggy infotainment system playing USB content and the transmission's odd shifting issues (not finding the right gear).

Other than that, I am happy with it.
oblio98 (07-03-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 10:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
...the transmission's odd shifting issues (not finding the right gear).
Can you elaborate? Is this mostly during acceleration or even while cruising?
Old 07-01-2019, 11:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Can you elaborate? Is this mostly during acceleration or even while cruising?
The way the transmission searches for the right gear when you slow down then attempt to accelerate, the slow roll then accelerate, the times I attempt to merge into traffic from a slow speed (30 MPH), etc. It's the same type of problems I had with the ZF9 in the TLX in many respects.

I did initially complain about the harsh shifting and even created a post about it in the Issues section. That thread has a fairly large number of posts. I don't notice that so much now.

I hope I explained that well enough.
anoop (07-01-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 04:30 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts
We've had our RDX for a full year now. After 14K miles, it has never needed to make a trip back to our dealer. Outside of minor infotainment issues, it has been completely reliable and has proven to be just the right size to fit all our passenger, comfort and cargo needs. I would like to see Auto Idle Stop be an option rather than the default along with better ambient lighting in future upgrades. My wife would like to see the clock and range displayed on the HUD.
oblio98 (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 05:32 PM
Drifting

One year now.

About 14K miles. I have taken long and short trips with it, and as a car, it is just great. Best foul weather car I ever owned, including an Outback, and with the power and handling to get close to being a sports sedan in an SUV.

I find the driving aids to be great, and they help a lot.

The included nav is not as bad as I expected, but not great either. They promised, at one point quarterly updates, at another point yearly updates, and now, over a year later, there have been NO updates.

The infotainment system has been a hot mess, but was muchly fixed by an update this past February and by my limiting the demands I put on the system. I am happy with the quality of the sound system, but unhappy with the availability and quality the music industry has been able to provide: the sound system can do way more than what is available from the industry.

Improve the infotainment experience; the car, as a car, is great.
oblio98 (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 11:34 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts
My 2019 RDX will be one year old next 09/14/19. 4,444 miles and a great ride.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:33 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advance. Over a year. 14,000 miles. Love the car. Would buy another in a heart beat
Old 08-15-2019, 05:24 PM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Located in Los Angeles area, bought mine in Oct 2018, about 5,000 mi now and just had the A1 service done by the dealer.
The RDX is beautiful and that was the main reason why I bought it. My thought was that if there is any issue, Acura would fix it.
Sadly, my major gripe is the infotainment system and I now only use it for FM, Bluetooth to phone to accept/make calls, navigation, and occasional plug in the USB music drive.
The other remaining issues are squeaky sunglasses holder (dealer ordered new one today) and occasional knocking/clonking noise coming from the rear cargo ceiling when going over speed bump in slow speed.

I did enjoyed the 1,200 mi road trip two month after I bought it and have not experienced the limp mode, even when driving in the rain.
The driver-assist features are not perfect, but work to my satisfaction most of the time. Overall, I am happy with it (not counting the infotainment system), but I would advise potential buyers to wait until Acura fixes the infotainment system.