Official RDX Sales Thread - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

Official RDX Sales Thread

 
Old 07-03-2018, 02:35 PM
  #1  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
CheeseyPoofs McNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,640
Thanked 985 Times in 461 Posts
Official RDX Sales Thread



Representing the beginning of a new era in Acura product design and development, the all-new 2019 Acura RDX delivered big results in just its first month of sales, smashing its all-time monthly record.
  • RDX sales jumped 36.9% over June 2017 (itself a record month) on sales of 7,292 units, setting an all-time RDX sales record for any month.
  • RDX also set a new sales record for all Acura SUVs, eclipsing the previous record of 6,761 set by MDX in 2014.
  • RDX sales in June were also the highest of any Acura model in any month since April of 2006 (TL)

Congrats to Acura and the new RDX Owners!!

Last edited by CheeseyPoofs McNut; 07-03-2018 at 02:48 PM.
CheeseyPoofs McNut is online now  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CheeseyPoofs McNut For This Useful Post:
acuraada (07-03-2018), catbert430 (07-03-2018), i69fstop (12-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 05:22 PM
  #2  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Age: 45
Posts: 444
Thanked 75 Times in 54 Posts
In addition to the bullets point above, I think it is important to note the following item, especially comparing to others in the same segment.

Acura RDX Snaps Multiple Sales Records Amidst 2019 Model Launch | Markets Insider
  • RDX was the best-selling model in the compact luxury SUV segment and one of the top-selling luxury vehicles in America in June.
  • RDX propelled Acura to a new June light-truck sales record of 11,185 units, a 16.9 percent gain over June of last year.
acuraada is offline  
Old 07-03-2018, 05:31 PM
  #3  
Registered Member
 
Madd Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 1,111
Thanked 255 Times in 193 Posts
By dumping 2018 RDXs?

Without a breakout of 2018 and 2019 RDXs, the actual impact of the new RDX cannot be assessed. The Gen 2 was a great seller, and with Gen 2 at close out prices, I would expect RDX sales to jump.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 07-03-2018 at 05:33 PM.
Madd Dog is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Madd Dog For This Useful Post:
oblio98 (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 05:34 PM
  #4  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Age: 45
Posts: 444
Thanked 75 Times in 54 Posts
Why not? who's gonna argue?
acuraada is offline  
Old 07-03-2018, 06:45 PM
  #5  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 317
Thanks: 0
Thanked 28 Times in 25 Posts
I believe the statement that "RDX sales in June were also the highest of any Acura model in any month since April of 2006 (TL)" tells you a lot. In my opinion, the 3rd Gen TL was about the last model prior to the new RDX where Honda really tried to make an Acura that was significantly better than its Honda counterpart. I believe it shows that Acura can sell a lot of cars if they are significantly better than a Honda, and not just slightly fancier.
cruiserchuck is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to cruiserchuck For This Useful Post:
pnoi521 (07-04-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 12:13 PM
  #6  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: America
Age: 54
Posts: 117
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
7300 in one month would be almost 90,000 RDX per year. However, the left over RDX 2018 is likely half those sales. Honda can make 50,000 per year from what I recall.

Sad to see the continued death of the sedan. The very nice Honda Accord sales have tanked. Great deals on those. A sport 2.0T for $26,000. $22000 more and you can get an RDX Advance with the same engine. The cross over craze=profit that most Acura dealers have not seen in a while.
idgystinks is offline  
Old 07-04-2018, 01:18 PM
  #7  
Registered Member
 
JAB00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Baltimore MD
Age: 40
Posts: 1,107
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cruiserchuck View Post
I believe the statement that "RDX sales in June were also the highest of any Acura model in any month since April of 2006 (TL)" tells you a lot. In my opinion, the 3rd Gen TL was about the last model prior to the new RDX where Honda really tried to make an Acura that was significantly better than its Honda counterpart. I believe it shows that Acura can sell a lot of cars if they are significantly better than a Honda, and not just slightly fancier.
Agreed. That shows how good the 3G TL was at the time. It was literally one of the best in class for fit, finish, power and amenities. I am still driving my 05 TL I bought at the time brand new. I am approaching needing a new car. I was ready to leave the brand. The RLX has been an unmitigated disappointment. The 4G TL was atrocious looking. The TLX is an improvement but not quite on same level with it's competitors. However, my next car will be the 2019 RDX. I now have a 7 month old and a compact SUV will fit my needs hauling around all the stuff that comes with having a baby/toddler. I hope to keep the vehicle as long as I've kept my 3G TL.
JAB00 is online now  
Old 07-04-2018, 03:12 PM
  #8  
Registered Member
 
Tony Pac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,030
Thanked 236 Times in 156 Posts
Canada: 949 units. WOW
4,223 YTD.

Killing it!
Tony Pac is offline  
Old 07-04-2018, 07:45 PM
  #9  
Registered Member
 
KeithL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Age: 57
Posts: 4,961
Thanked 629 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by JAB00 View Post
Agreed. That shows how good the 3G TL was at the time. It was literally one of the best in class for fit, finish, power and amenities. I am still driving my 05 TL I bought at the time brand new. I am approaching needing a new car. I was ready to leave the brand. The RLX has been an unmitigated disappointment. The 4G TL was atrocious looking. The TLX is an improvement but not quite on same level with it's competitors. However, my next car will be the 2019 RDX. I now have a 7 month old and a compact SUV will fit my needs hauling around all the stuff that comes with having a baby/toddler. I hope to keep the vehicle as long as I've kept my 3G TL.
Funny I had to go into town with one of my employees and he drove, he has a 2007 TL Navi with 160K miles and all I can is wow, the car rides amazing. The double wishbone suspension I suspect has something to do with that. The car really holds its own with interior and exterior styling and handles as good as any current car in its class. Brought back a ton of nostalgic feelings.
KeithL is offline  
Old 07-06-2018, 01:35 AM
  #10  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 651
Thanked 157 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac View Post
Canada: 949 units. WOW
4,223 YTD.

Killing it!
So everyone in Canada bought an RDX? Cool. I guess that trade war is going OK then, eh?

Snark aside, how does this compare to other vehicles in the segment?
Wander is online now  
Old 07-06-2018, 09:11 AM
  #11  
Registered Member
 
Tony Pac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,030
Thanked 236 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander View Post
So everyone in Canada bought an RDX? Cool. I guess that trade war is going OK then, eh?

Snark aside, how does this compare to other vehicles in the segment?
hahaha!
I didn't get all the results yet but I know Q5 is huge here in this segment. I will share the numbers once I get them.

I noticed in the US MB, BMW and Lexus are the top then Audi (in terms of sales). Then You have Acura, Cadillac & Infiniti. In Canada, MB, BMW are Audi are the top, Acura and Lexus are very similar and Infiniti is way below. Just to give you an idea, Acura sold 9,560 vehicles and Infiniti 5,938 YTD.

Last edited by Tony Pac; 07-06-2018 at 09:16 AM.
Tony Pac is offline  
Old 07-06-2018, 09:50 PM
  #12  
2019 RDX Tech SH-AWD
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Arlington, VA
Age: 55
Posts: 86
Thanks: 0
Thanked 25 Times in 6 Posts
Well, here are the Audi sales. Q5 did well. I like Audi, but really pleased with the RDX.
[img]blob:https://acurazine.com/22feb678-fdcc-4d35-a523-fe6fd0bc78b5[/img]
stevesTL is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 09:50 AM
  #13  
Registered Member
 
Tony Pac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,030
Thanked 236 Times in 156 Posts
Sales numbers will be out soon...goodcarbadcar.net is showing some sales yet

What's your prediction for July? Usually July is a slow month, right? Lots of vacations.
Tony Pac is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 10:56 AM
  #14  
Registered Member
 
Tony Pac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,030
Thanked 236 Times in 156 Posts
Total Acura Sales: 13,247 a decrease from last year
Tony Pac is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 10:58 AM
  #15  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 256
Thanked 28 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac View Post
Total Acura Sales: 13,247 a decrease from last year
maybe good news for those waiting for prices to drop
Fury63 is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 11:01 AM
  #16  
Registered Member
 
Tony Pac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,030
Thanked 236 Times in 156 Posts
5,784 RDX were sold!!!

RDX prices won't go down now....It's hot in the market.
Tony Pac is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 11:02 AM
  #17  
Registered Member
 
Tony Pac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,030
Thanked 236 Times in 156 Posts
Tony Pac is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 11:32 AM
  #18  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Age: 35
Posts: 19
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac View Post
5,784 RDX were sold!!!

RDX prices won't go down now....It's hot in the market.
Does that include 2018's though? If so, then that's great for those of us looking for more competitive pricing. Get those 2018's off the lots!!
GBR! is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 11:38 AM
  #19  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 317
Thanks: 0
Thanked 28 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac View Post
5,784 RDX were sold!!!

RDX prices won't go down now....It's hot in the market.
They only sold about 200 more than last year when they only had an aged model. I suspect they were hoping for better sales this month after the large number last month. Prices are dropping and will continue to drop, especially now that the early adaptors have already bought one, and minor quality issues are starting to surface.
cruiserchuck is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 11:55 AM
  #20  
Registered Member
 
Madd Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 1,111
Thanked 255 Times in 193 Posts
.....

Last edited by Madd Dog; 08-01-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Madd Dog is online now  
Old 08-01-2018, 12:06 PM
  #21  
Registered Member
 
FLYGUY31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Valley Forge, PA
Posts: 380
Thanked 66 Times in 41 Posts
I thought it would have been better. But there was one less Saturday in July this year. So there is a natural drop. I think if the number shows single digit increases in August you will see a drop in price fairly quick. The Q5 was up over 50% in July for what itís worth.
FLYGUY31 is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 12:22 PM
  #22  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FLYGUY31 View Post
I thought it would have been better. But there was one less Saturday in July this year. So there is a natural drop. I think if the number shows single digit increases in August you will see a drop in price fairly quick. The Q5 was up over 50% in July for what it’s worth.
Q5 and A4 are only ones keeping Audi Positive. There are great deals and a ton of advertising on the Q5 right now. A6, A7 and A8 however sold a combined, less than 300 for the month. And remember, those numbers also include the S6, S7 and S8.
A6 is coming out with a redesign, but many former and current owners don't seem impressed with re design.

Last edited by zo0mie; 08-01-2018 at 12:26 PM.
zo0mie is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 12:25 PM
  #23  
Registered Member
 
Tony Pac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,030
Thanked 236 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by cruiserchuck View Post
They only sold about 200 more than last year when they only had an aged model. I suspect they were hoping for better sales this month after the large number last month. Prices are dropping and will continue to drop, especially now that the early adaptors have already bought one, and minor quality issues are starting to surface.
Agreed 200 units only!

But it would be interesting to know the 2017 vs 2018 numbers. For the past 12 months Acura was very aggressive with RDX prices. So, there is no doubt that the aging model was selling well. Now the prices of RDX are up and if they sell 200-300 units more per month it's a huge win!

Last edited by Tony Pac; 08-01-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Tony Pac is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 12:32 PM
  #24  
Registered Member
 
Tony Pac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,030
Thanked 236 Times in 156 Posts
Infiniti sold 1,600 QX50.

We shouldn't complain about RDX' sales number.
Tony Pac is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 12:49 PM
  #25  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GBR! View Post
Does that include 2018's though? If so, then that's great for those of us looking for more competitive pricing. Get those 2018's off the lots!!
Surely it includes lots of 2018's. Although my dealer had sold all their 2018's and only had the traded in used RDX's. Figures should drop next month as dealers still hang tight at $500 to 1k off msrp. and they are selling closer to the discounted germans, Q5,X3 GLC.
But supply will increase, demand will tail off and more will come off msrp, but they'll not be so generous on trade-in, IMO. I paid close to msrp because I was getting loyalty, Military and very generous trade-in. Generous trade in will become harder once msrp is discounted. And if not getting loyalty or trade in, that sales tax is huge in most places.
zo0mie is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 01:48 PM
  #26  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Age: 58
Posts: 166
Thanked 50 Times in 33 Posts
Naaah, I bought a Black A-Spec last week and got $2500 off MSRP, excluding all incentives , because I don't qualify for Loyalty , Conquest , Military and Recent Colleg graduate .
You can get more than $500 off MSRP in SoCal
dcmod is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 02:24 PM
  #27  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 431
Thanks: 0
Thanked 45 Times in 34 Posts
Hard to increase numbers when you have limited stock available to purchase. Also Acura is a small volume manufacturer. they cant pump out RDX's as fast as other manufacturers.
Hou-RL is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Hou-RL For This Useful Post:
KeithL (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 02:28 PM
  #28  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 317
Thanks: 0
Thanked 28 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Hou-RL View Post
Hard to increase numbers when you have limited stock available to purchase. Also Acura is a small volume manufacturer. they cant pump out RDX's as fast as other manufacturers.
In Southern California, inventory of the new RDX is much higher now than at the end of June, so I think low discounts, not low inventory. held down sales here in July.
cruiserchuck is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 02:46 PM
  #29  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cruiserchuck View Post
In Southern California, inventory of the new RDX is much higher now than at the end of June, so I think low discounts, not low inventory. held down sales here in July.
Southern Cal has to give better msrp discounts, as trade-ins Do not reduce your sales tax hit.
zo0mie is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 04:32 PM
  #30  
Registered Member
 
FLYGUY31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Valley Forge, PA
Posts: 380
Thanked 66 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by zo0mie View Post
Q5 and A4 are only ones keeping Audi Positive. There are great deals and a ton of advertising on the Q5 right now. A6, A7 and A8 however sold a combined, less than 300 for the month. And remember, those numbers also include the S6, S7 and S8.
A6 is coming out with a redesign, but many former and current owners don't seem impressed with re design.
You can say pretty much the same for Honda/Acura: Pilot and MDX are saving them. But thatís probably true for most manufacturers. A few models lead the charge and carry the weight.
FLYGUY31 is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 04:39 PM
  #31  
Registered Member
 
MI-RDX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 953
Thanked 223 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by FLYGUY31 View Post
...A few models lead the charge and carry the weight.
In today's market it's SUVs, crossovers and light trucks doing all the heavy lifting (no pun intended) for just about all manufacturers.
MI-RDX is online now  
Old 08-01-2018, 05:01 PM
  #32  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 431
Thanks: 0
Thanked 45 Times in 34 Posts
Well if Acura wants to keep that trend of RDX sales going as desired they better tell those dealers to back of the MSRP crap. There will be a nasty response from customers if dealers continue playing the game. It is just as easy to go to other dealers , who just so happen to be making some aggressive deals currently on inventory.
Hou-RL is online now  
Old 08-01-2018, 06:13 PM
  #33  
Registered Member
 
Tony Pac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,030
Thanked 236 Times in 156 Posts
791 units were sold in Canada. Lower than last month but pretty impressive!
Tony Pac is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 06:24 PM
  #34  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Age: 58
Posts: 166
Thanked 50 Times in 33 Posts
I don't believe Acura can tell the dealers to sell at a certain price points without incuring a lawsuit . It's a market supply and demand working in a capitalistic world . Dealers can push back and say they have high overhead ie : lease of the building, salaries of the employees , amenities for loyal customers, food for the guard dogs , etc etc
So, the onus is on us the buyers to push back and play the waiting game if we did not get the price points . We just have to let the market competes
dcmod is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 11:05 PM
  #35  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: South Pasadena, CA
Posts: 42
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Wow, these numbers must be extremely disappointing for Acura, as much of the sales consist of heavily discounted 2018 models. The Q5 has been out for over a year and is seeing much higher growth figures than the COMBINED sales of an incentivized 2018 AND a BRAND NEW 2019. Guess this is good news for those waiting for a bigger discount - no question there will be 4-5k off come early 2019. Acura has to compete.
TLX17 is online now  
Old 08-01-2018, 11:18 PM
  #36  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 431
Thanks: 0
Thanked 45 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by dcmod View Post
I don't believe Acura can tell the dealers to sell at a certain price points without incuring a lawsuit . It's a market supply and demand working in a capitalistic world . Dealers can push back and say they have high overhead ie : lease of the building, salaries of the employees , amenities for loyal customers, food for the guard dogs , etc etc
So, the onus is on us the buyers to push back and play the waiting game if we did not get the price points . We just have to let the market competes
DCMOD,

You are correct the manufacturers cant make them do anything exactly. However, Acura knows how to make the dealers reduce a price by reducing allocations since they are not selling cars fast enough. They also can slow down the deliveries to dealers who are not aggressive enough in selling the vehicles.
Hou-RL is online now  
Old 08-01-2018, 11:36 PM
  #37  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Age: 58
Posts: 166
Thanked 50 Times in 33 Posts
If you are a manufacturer such as Acura , why would you want to pissed off a certain dealer by doing that ? Acura might incur a hefty lawsuits and also incur the wrath of a certain dealer that was wronged by Acura .
A smarter way of doing it is to just let the capitalistic market moves it automatically . Even if they are doing that,, Acura should not even tell the targeted dealer
dcmod is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 11:40 PM
  #38  
Registered Member
 
DesignerTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Age: 62
Posts: 30
Thanked 31 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TLX17 View Post
Wow, these numbers must be extremely disappointing for Acura, as much of the sales consist of heavily discounted 2018 models. The Q5 has been out for over a year and is seeing much higher growth figures than the COMBINED sales of an incentivized 2018 AND a BRAND NEW 2019. Guess this is good news for those waiting for a bigger discount - no question there will be 4-5k off come early 2019. Acura has to compete.
Audi is offering major deals on a very aged Q5, as is Volvo on the XC60. 2019 RDX has been in short supply. Those two things combine for good but not blown out RDX sales numbers. Once Acura ramps up production, and dealers offer a bit more, sales will get stronger. Most people have no idea what the RDX is all about yet.
DesignerTom is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 11:45 PM
  #39  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Age: 58
Posts: 166
Thanked 50 Times in 33 Posts
According to the latest news

2019 Acura RDX Advance SH-AWD Review: America's Best-Selling Compact Luxury SUV, One Month In - The Drive

Latest reviews :
In June, its opening month in showrooms, the new RDX outsold every compact luxury SUV in America, its 7,292 sales smoking even the Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class, with its 6,608 units moved. The RDX also enjoyed the best sales month of any Acura SUV in history, and the most buyers for any Acura model since the TL sedan in April 2006.

The number is much higher than every compact luxury SUV in America , including Infiniti
dcmod is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to dcmod For This Useful Post:
catbert430 (08-01-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 03:04 AM
  #40  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: South Pasadena, CA
Posts: 42
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DesignerTom View Post
Audi is offering major deals on a very aged Q5, as is Volvo on the XC60. 2019 RDX has been in short supply. Those two things combine for good but not blown out RDX sales numbers. Once Acura ramps up production, and dealers offer a bit more, sales will get stronger. Most people have no idea what the RDX is all about yet.
The current Q5 has been on the market for about 15 months... not sure it's seen as 'very aged'. But yes, according to Autotrader there are about twice as many 2018 Q5s available than 2019 RDXs; however there's still the problem of Acura's very limited exterior/interior color combinations, which does not seem to be an issue for any of the European brands (or Lexus, for that matter).
TLX17 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official RDX Sales Thread


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.