Now It's Up to the Dealers/Customers

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 01:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Now It's Up to the Dealers/Customers

OK so the official pricing is out and dealers are starting to get the 2019 RDX in inventory as well. So now what? Are the dealers all going to think they can sell at sticker (or above) and are the customers going to make that look like a smart move? People like to bash dealers for their tactics when it comes to dealing on a new and improved model but it takes two to tango as the saying goes. I recently turned in my 2015 RDX lease and went in a different direction altogether after six Acuras (another post for another day) but I am really curious to see how this all plays out. I think the pricing of the 2019 RDX is fair (relatively speaking) but in general I would think people would lean toward getting a big discount on a competing brand (that brings it closer to Acura pricing) than pay sticker for the Acura. I hope people on this site are honest about what they really paid when they start to show off their new RDX's, since it seems like so many of the forum members think they are best friends (lol) with the GSM at their local dealers and will get the deal of the century on something with little to no deals/discounts/incentives. Or maybe they will buy or lease something else when they encounter what will likely be the initial lack of pricing flexibility from the dealers. On a related note, am I the only person who just can't quite get over how expensive all of these SUV's are these days? You pick any of the "near" luxury or luxury brands and they are all well into the mid $40k to mid $50K range or even higher. Anyway, I will be interested to hear what kind of buying/leasing decisions people are making with the 2019 RDX and/or if they decided to stick with Acura at all.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Space bar is to be used to seperate paragraphs.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Also, people will pay whatever they want to pay. If you're coming on here in hopes to plea with people to not pay MSRP or more, it's not going to happen.

Also, who cares what someone else pays? If they wanted a discounted Q5, they would go that route. Clearly people here want the newest car possible, and although a Q5 may cost more off the bat, it's not offering you anything all that different than the RDX. So in essence you're paying the same money for the same content under a different badge.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Also, people will pay whatever they want to pay. If you're coming on here in hopes to plea with people to not pay MSRP or more, it's not going to happen.

Also, who cares what someone else pays? If they wanted a discounted Q5, they would go that route. Clearly people here want the newest car possible, and although a Q5 may cost more off the bat, it's not offering you anything all that different than the RDX. So in essence you're paying the same money for the same content under a different badge.
Wow. After several years of reading the forums on this site, I decided to join. And on my second post, I receive a negative and nasty reply from you about paragraph usage and a question about why anyone would care about what I've asked. Nice. This forum is obviously for people who are Acura/automotive enthusiasts who ask all kinds of questions and bring up all kinds of topics. I find many of the threads to be pretty silly, but I ignore them and move on and concentrate on the ones that interest me. I don't send nasty replies to the folks who have written threads/posts that I don't care for or that I think are a waste of time. I am genuinely interested (now that there is a real vehicle to look at and buy at some of the Acura dealerships) in what kind of prices the dealers are asking, and whether it will influence shoppers to go buy something else or stay with Acura. Not an unreasonable question.
The following users liked this post:
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 06:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JoelEDC
OK so the official pricing is out and dealers are starting to get the 2019 RDX in inventory as well. So now what?...
New RDX is really awesome and you better believe Acura dealers know it and will have you paying for it. From Acura, "the right car at the right time". I could almost hear cha-ching after the end of that.
JoelEDC (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 07:17 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Notte
New RDX is really awesome and you better believe Acura dealers know it and will have you paying for it. From Acura, "the right car at the right time". I could almost hear cha-ching after the end of that.
I think you're right. I'll be curious to see if the dealers lose any sales to other makes because of it. Or if people will just pay list or wait things out till there are some discounts and incentives on the table.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:34 PM
Intermediate

I think you're right. I'll be curious to see if the dealers lose any sales to other makes because of it. Or if people will just pay list or wait things out till there are some discounts and incentives on the table.
Given the SUV market right now, its not likely we will see incentives for a long time. A lot of people expect near or exceeding record monthly sales for RDX. I believe it. This will only fuel aggressive pricing from dealers. Its a question of how bad or good it will get depending which side you are on
JoelEDC (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 07:39 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Some folks will be willing to pay MSRP to get the car now. More power to them. Others will wait for the initial demand to drop off, and will probably get bigger discounts around year end.

One advantage the RDX has over the Q5 for me is that it is being built in an existing factory in the United States. The Q5 is being built in a new factory in Mexico. My Audi was built in Germany. I probably would not have bought one built in a new factory in Mexico.
JoelEDC (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 08:35 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Notte
Given the SUV market right now, its not likely we will see incentives for a long time. A lot of people expect near or exceeding record monthly sales for RDX. I believe it. This will only fuel aggressive pricing from dealers. Its a question of how bad or good it will get depending which side you are on
It will be interesting to see how it plays out but you're right the dealers (and Acura as a company) think they won't have to do any dealing for quite a while.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:50 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cruiserchuck
Some folks will be willing to pay MSRP to get the car now. More power to them. Others will wait for the initial demand to drop off, and will probably get bigger discounts around year end.

One advantage the RDX has over the Q5 for me is that it is being built in an existing factory in the United States. The Q5 is being built in a new factory in Mexico. My Audi was built in Germany. I probably would not have bought one built in a new factory in Mexico.
I just turned in/traded in a 2015 Acura RDX and downsized a bit to a BMW X1. I guess I thought a lot of their models were made in South Carolina now but my X1 was built in Germany...which honestly I was glad to learn. Part of the reason I started this thread was to see what kind of buying/leasing decisions people are planning on making relative to the 2019 RDX. In my case I didn't want to extend my '15 RDX lease several months only to find out that there were still no deals on the '19 RDX. So I made a change but was kind of sad to feel I had to do it.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Happy to pay full price. But I want an A-Spec with every single feature available other than the wood accents. Are you reading this, Acura???
The following 2 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
JoelEDC (05-31-2018), Speed_Racer (05-31-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 10:41 PM
4th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Er

actually it is the return key.
The following 5 users liked this post by Socalmark:
Gen4MDX (06-05-2018), JoelEDC (05-31-2018), justnspace (06-05-2018), Majofo (06-05-2018), rockstar143 (06-05-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 11:21 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Smile

OK so the official pricing is out and dealers are starting to get the 2019 RDX in inventory as well. So now what? Are the dealers all going to think they can sell at sticker (or above) and are the customers going to make that look like a smart move? People like to bash dealers for their tactics when it comes to dealing on a new and improved model but it takes two to tango as the saying goes. I recently turned in my 2015 RDX lease and went in a different direction altogether after six Acuras (another post for another day) but I am really curious to see how this all plays out. I think the pricing of the 2019 RDX is fair (relatively speaking) but in general I would think people would lean toward getting a big discount on a competing brand (that brings it closer to Acura pricing) than pay sticker for the Acura. I hope people on this site are honest about what they really paid when they start to show off their new RDX's, since it seems like so many of the forum members think they are best friends (lol) with the GSM at their local dealers and will get the deal of the century on something with little to no deals/discounts/incentives. Or maybe they will buy or lease something else when they encounter what will likely be the initial lack of pricing flexibility from the dealers. On a related note, am I the only person who just can't quite get over how expensive all of these SUV's are these days? You pick any of the "near" luxury or luxury brands and they are all well into the mid $40k to mid $50K range or even higher. Anyway, I will be interested to hear what kind of buying/leasing decisions people are making with the 2019 RDX and/or if they decided to stick with Acura at all.
Actually, I am best friends with my..GM...don't know the GSM. I only do business with my GM. 4 new Acuras from him and he gives me deals I KNOW he does not give to those walking in for the first time. Multiple purchases
do make a difference. Plus they love my trades, since they are really low mileage and in immaculate condition. Now, I DO have a big question this time for the '19 RDX. I AM wondering what he will price it to me for.
I do NOT expect him to ask for MSRP. So, when we "talk" I will pass on what my price will be. Plus, he is getting more RDX's than the other dealers in the Region, for a lot of reasons. They are #1 in sales each year, and
he remodeled the entire facility to the tune of $5M plus. So, with more RDX's to sell he can be flexible with certain buyers. His choice....he's the GM, but, he's also part owner.

I'd be shocked to see Addendums with "mark ups" for the RDX. Didn't see it when the '13 Gen 2 arrived. But, I didn't see what other dealers were doing around the country. Just don't expect to see it on a mass produced car.
Anyone paying OVER MSRP is crazy. Just like setting that money on fire as soon as you drive it off the lot. And, honestly, doesn't everyone know that your RDX will depreciate 6 to 10% not long after you drive it off
the lot?? It will....so paying over is nuts on top of paying MSRP....'cause you lose double. That's why you "work the best deal"...IF once they start dealing. First few days, weeks, not much normally. Too much excitement AND
they know they can snag some buyers early on at MSRP and they (the buyers) are SO HAPPY and thankful like they got a gift!! Really???? LOL!!!
JoelEDC (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 07:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Happy to pay full price. But I want an A-Spec with every single feature available other than the wood accents. Are you reading this, Acura???
Then get a Canadian 2019 RDX Elite Aspec. Just like the 2016-2018 RDX and TLX, the Canadian one should have all thr bells and whistles! 👍
Old 05-31-2018, 08:16 AM
Hello World

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyboy

Then get a Canadian 2019 RDX Elite Aspec. Just like the 2016-2018 RDX and TLX, the Canadian one should have all thr bells and whistles! 👍
The only problem is that it doesn't exist... That's what he is saying.
SebringSilver (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 09:22 AM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
If this actually happens, then paying MSRP for a RDX might be the best you can do.

"Trump reportedly said he wants to stop German luxury car imports in the US." https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...rYC?li=BBnb7Kz
JoelEDC (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 10:48 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
Actually, I am best friends with my..GM...don't know the GSM. I only do business with my GM. 4 new Acuras from him and he gives me deals I KNOW he does not give to those walking in for the first time. Multiple purchases
do make a difference. Plus they love my trades, since they are really low mileage and in immaculate condition. Now, I DO have a big question this time for the '19 RDX. I AM wondering what he will price it to me for.
I do NOT expect him to ask for MSRP. So, when we "talk" I will pass on what my price will be. Plus, he is getting more RDX's than the other dealers in the Region, for a lot of reasons. They are #1 in sales each year, and
he remodeled the entire facility to the tune of $5M plus. So, with more RDX's to sell he can be flexible with certain buyers. His choice....he's the GM, but, he's also part owner.

I'd be shocked to see Addendums with "mark ups" for the RDX. Didn't see it when the '13 Gen 2 arrived. But, I didn't see what other dealers were doing around the country. Just don't expect to see it on a mass produced car.
Anyone paying OVER MSRP is crazy. Just like setting that money on fire as soon as you drive it off the lot. And, honestly, doesn't everyone know that your RDX will depreciate 6 to 10% not long after you drive it off
the lot?? It will....so paying over is nuts on top of paying MSRP....'cause you lose double. That's why you "work the best deal"...IF once they start dealing. First few days, weeks, not much normally. Too much excitement AND
they know they can snag some buyers early on at MSRP and they (the buyers) are SO HAPPY and thankful like they got a gift!! Really???? LOL!!!
Thanks for your reply. I really would be interested to know what kind of discount the GM provides to you. I am impressed with the new RDX but I really wish the dealers and even Acura would be proactive in terms of putting some kind of deal or incentive or lease on the table sooner rather than later. I know the pricing as it sits undercuts a lot of the perceived competition, but it's still a $40-50K vehicle.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:00 PM
Nuke

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
<div style="text-align:left;"></div>
Old 05-31-2018, 03:23 PM
Nuke

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
For me, it is very much about long term reliability although I am intriqued enough about the RDX to hold off my purchase until the end of 2018 or early 2019 until I can review early purchasers comments etc. I currently drive one of the early 2004 Tsx’s purchased spring of 2003, mind you the vehicle had proven itself as a Honda Accord for several years in Europe. The car is reliable enough I am not hesitating to drive it across Canada and up into Northern British Columbia later this year. Previously I drove a 1992 Integra for 10 years, 300,000 km before giving to the kids for an additional 100,000 until it could not pass required emission tests. I also had a very reliable 1998 CRV that my wife drove for 7 years until it was T boned by a car running a red light. The RDX would replace a 2005 Nissan Xtrail that my wife drives, well maintained and going to one of the kids. If I end up having any doubts about the RDX reliability, the replacement would be a Honda CRV touring, likely model year 2019, that has worked out the bugs now. No lease for me, no additional extended warranty just cash for an RDX tech with trailer hitch and wiring or a Honda CRV touring with a hitch and wiring as I want to keep my vehicles for a long time. There is a chance I will also negotiate Nokian WRG4 SUV ALL WEATHER tires if available at the time to replace the OEM’s, otherwise going with the WRG3.

Last edited by nuke; 05-31-2018 at 03:26 PM.
JoelEDC (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 03:33 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by cruiserchuck
If this actually happens, then paying MSRP for a RDX might be the best you can do.

"Trump reportedly said he wants to stop German luxury car imports in the US." https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...rYC?li=BBnb7Kz
“One golf course and hotel and this will all go away.”
JoelEDC (06-01-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 10:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Ironic, a "grammarian" who can't spell. Then again, spelling and grammar are sepArate.
JoelEDC (06-01-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
I've never paid over *invoice* for any car I've ever bought. So if it was me, I'd just wait for the hype to die down, and also wait for the 2020 MY so that some of the bugs are worked out. But seeing as none of my cars need replacement any time soon, I might not be in the market until the 4th gen RDX.
JoelEDC (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 09:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by schen72
I've never paid over *invoice* for any car I've ever bought. So if it was me, I'd just wait for the hype to die down, and also wait for the 2020 MY so that some of the bugs are worked out. But seeing as none of my cars need replacement any time soon, I might not be in the market until the 4th gen RDX.
Take a look at the civic type-r. Those are adjusted market value all day in every Honda dealership. I just saw one for $10k over MSRP. ($45k for a civic!). Supposedly people still pay it.

Even though the car has been out for a year people are still paying over the MSRP and the greedy dealers are just raking in the money...its crazy!
Old 06-05-2018, 01:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by fryrice
Take a look at the civic type-r. Those are adjusted market value all day in every Honda dealership. I just saw one for $10k over MSRP. ($45k for a civic!). Supposedly people still pay it.

Even though the car has been out for a year people are still paying over the MSRP and the greedy dealers are just raking in the money...its crazy!
Well, I would say the CTR is a specialty car. I think it's ridiculous to pay $45k for that. There are better cars at $45k.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:36 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by Socalmark
actually it is the return key.

Can't come back after that mang
Justn brought me here
Old 06-05-2018, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by sinain
Ironic, a "grammarian" who can't spell. Then again, spelling and grammar are sepArate.

Time to start a new account Taco
Old 06-05-2018, 10:13 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
this thread is so tuxic.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by rockstar143
this thread is so tuxic.
¡Callate pendejo!
Old 06-05-2018, 10:33 AM